Imprisoned and tortured by the Breen, Ezri and Worf's short-lived romance is put to the test. On the Dominion side, Damar and Weyoun travel to an unknown location as the female Changeling continues to deteriorate. Back at Deep Space 9, the conniving Gul Dukat weasels his way into Kai Winn's inner circle. And Ben Sisko, heartbroken over the cancellation of his wedding, makes a fateful decision.
This episode contains examples of. . .
- Alien Lunch:Ezri: Algae paste. My favorite.
- Altar the Speed: Sisko arranges his wedding to Cassidy at the last minute.
- Blatant Lies: Drunk Damar's excuse for oversleeping.Damar: (hung over) I worked late last night.
Weyoun: Yes... (picks up a piece of lingerie) I see that.
- Body Horror: As demonstrated by the female changeling, the disease infecting the Great Link does gnarly things to one's body.
- Call-Back: Ezri refers back to a few Season 7 episodes while under the influence of the Breen mind probes.
- Did You Just Flip Off Cthulhu?: Despite the warnings of the Prophets, Sisko goes ahead with the wedding.
- First-Name Basis: Winn encourages this with "Anjohl."
- Foreshadowing: The fact that one of the "Prophets" who visits Kai Winn smiles, despite the fact the Prophets aren't really big on emoting, is an immediate hint that something's not right.
- From Bad to Worse: The episode begins with Jake and Sisko having an argument about the situation, and the Prophet's warning. Cue Kai Winn.
- Genre Blindness: Weyoun chastises Damar for thinking he could keep Dukat's recent visit a secret.
- Married In Space: A proud Trek tradition continues.
- Mind Rape: What the Breen apparently do to Worf and Ezri.
- Noodle Incident: Ezri mentions a couple of failed escape attempts that she and Worf made.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: If the Pah-Wraiths introducing themselves to Winn wasn't enough of a clue, the fact that Sisko's eyes turn red in her vision should be.
- Rescue Romance: The romance between Winn and "Anjohl" has shades of this, with him claiming that she saved his life during the occupation.
- The Reveal: Kai Winn's never had a visit from the Prophets.
- Wham Line:Weyoun: You should be honored. You're witnessing an historic moment. The birth of the alliance between the Dominion and the Breen. Changes everything, doesn't it?
- What the Hell, Hero?: Dukat gives Damar a pep talk that helps snap him out of his drunken stupor and back into thinking as leader of Cardassia.
- With This Ring: Prophet!Sarah chooses that moment to try to run interference on Sisko's wedding. It fails.