Airdate: April 17, 2009
Mr. Krabs attempts to sell Krabby Patties to the surfers at Goo Lagoon after he forgets to pay the electric bill for the Krusty Krab. But a rogue wave ruins that plan and washes SpongeBob, Patrick, and Squidward up on a remote island. The only way to get back to Bikini Bottom is for the three surf their way back with the help of the legendary surfer, Jack Kahuna Laguna (voiced by Johnny Depp and called "JKL" for short).
SpongeBob SquarePants vs. The Big One contains examples of:
- The Cameo: Davy Jones' Locker turns out to belong to Davy Jones of The Monkees.
- Dance Party Ending: Everybody celebrates the gang's return by throwing a luau.
- Even the Guys Want Him: Patrick seems to be smitten with JKL.Squidward: Look, surf boy! Are you going to teach us how to surf or are we just going to stand here and stare at you all day?Patrick: I kinda like staring at him.
- Heroic Sacrifice: JKL warns the gang that The Big One always demands a sacrifice of one of the surfers.
- Roger Rabbit Effect: Inverted, as Davy Jones' cameo has him superimposed over the animated background rather than vice-versa.
- Series Continuity Error: SpongeBob starts freaking out because he doesn't know how to surf, but he's been seen surfing plenty of times in previous episodes.
- Special Guest: Johnny Depp as Jack Kahuna Laguna, Davy Jones as himself, and Bruce Brown as the narrator.
- Tempting Fate: SpongeBob's grateful that the ceiling fan in the Krusty Krab is still working on such a hot day. It only last a few more seconds before the power's cut off.
- When the Planets Align: According to JKL, every thousand years the planets align in such a way to create the perfect wave, otherwise known as the Big One.