Air Date: September 24, 2012
Robins anxiety on her wedding day to Barney prompts Ted to recount the time he insisted on leaving Victorias jilted fiancé a note before they drove off into the sunset together.
The episode provides examples of:
- Book-Ends: The episode opens with Ted waiting for the train and closes with The Mother arriving to the station.
- The Bus Came Back: It's revealed that at some unknown date, Robin and Nick (who appeared in season 6) started their relationship.
- Call-Back: As the first episode of the eight season, Barney gives a very quick summary of everything that has happened in the series in less than a minute.
- Character Filibuster: After telling the old lady he didn't feel like telling what happened, Ted starts the long story of the wedding weekend.
- Flashforward: The episode opens with Ted at the Farhampton station telling an older woman about how everything went down during Barney and Robin's wedding.
- Foregone Conclusion: Ted, Barney and Robin's relationships are doomed, since it's blatantly shown that Victoria is not The Mother and Robin is the bride on Barney's wedding.
Robin: Barney, think this throught. Do you really want to spend the rest of your life with Quinn and...Barney: God, you have a point!Robin: I haven't even get to it yet.
- Klaus tells Ted that one knows "The One" from the first moment, which will happen to him and The Mother eventually.
- Barney wants to have a bear in a tux as his ringbearer. A year later...
- Also this exchange between Barney and Robin.
- Gratuitous German: Provided by Klaus.
- Love at First Sight: Discussed by Ted and Klaus towards the end of the episode.Klaus: "Liebenslangersschicksalsschatz is not something that develops over time, it is something that happens instantaneously. Its causes consume you like the water in a river after a storm, filling you, and emptying you all at once. You feel it throughout your body. In your hands, In your heart, In your stomach, In your skin, of course you feel it in your Schlachmachendejunge. If you have to think about it, you have not had it. Everybody will find this eventually. You just never know when or where."
- Mistaken for Gay: Klaus thinks he sent a wrong vibe to Ted when he goes to the Farhampton station to ask him why he fled the wedding.
- Motor Mouth: Barney tells everything that has happened in seven years in less than one minute, even having time to mention how Ted got a Butterfly tramp stamp and that he won his watch at The Price is Right.
- Musical Spoiler: The title of the song during the lead up to Ted and the mother's meeting is "The Funeral". Now watch the Grand Finale...
- Not So Different: Both Ted and Klaus are firm believers of "finding The One" and leaving a "I'm leaving you" note as common courtesy.
- The Place: Farhampton is the train station where Ted and the mother will ultimately meet.
- Real Men Wear Pink: Lampshaded by Victoria about Ted's calligraphy hobby:Victoria: Well, you can't write it. One look, it's gonna be obvious it's a guy's handwrit- (Takes a look and Beat) Oh, no. We're good.
- The Reveal: The episode continues the revelation that Robin is the bride at the future wedding.
- Romantic False Lead: The episode gives us three:
- Victoria runs away from her wedding to be with Ted. We know they're not going to last.
- Barney and Quinn just got engaged that day.
- Robin reveals she is dating Nick in the same episode we see she is Barney's bride.
- Romantic Rain: Invoked. There's a downpour at Farhampton right before Ted and the mother meet.
- Runaway Bride:
- The episode continues the events of season 7 finale, when Vicoria fled her own wedding. Later it's revealed Klaus also fled that same night.
- In the Flashforward, Robin gets Cold Feet before her own wedding.
- She's Got Legs: The only thing revealed about the mother other than when and where she and Ted will meet is that she has nice stems.
- Took a Level in Dumbass: Justified, since both Marshall and Lily have been sleep deprived since Marvin was born, so they could not retain any information longer than two seconds.
- Unreliable Narrator: Barney got a few facts wrong in the minute-story (like Robin moving to Brazil instead of Argentina, Ted got hit by the bus instead of him and he cheated on Nora without mentioning Robin also cheated on Kevin). It could even be a blooper or Barney not wanting to reveal the real facts to Quinn.
- Visual Pun: From Marshall and Lily's perspective, they see everything underwater, since they're having the memory span of a goldfish because of the lack of sleep.