Smile Empty Soul is a post-grunge band formed in 1998 in Santa Clarita, California. They have so far released six albums (Smile Empty Soul, Anxiety, Vultures, Consciousness, 3's and Chemicals). It's current line-up consists of Sean Danielsen, Ryan Martin and Jake Kilmer.
This band provides examples of:
- Alternative Metal: Their heavier songs dip into this style.
- Cue the Sun: "Morning Light."
- Empty Shell: Empty soul, actually.
- Indecipherable Lyrics: Frequently. Notable mentions are "Bottom of a Bottle", in which the lyric "I do it just to feel like I'm alive" sounds like "I do it just to feel like I'm ahhh ahh ahhhhahhh!", and "Therapy", in which the entire chorus is just...well, you try to figure out what he's saying.
- Post-Grunge: One of the more respected bands if this genre, with some mentioning them in the same breath as the "big five" (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots and Soundgarden).
- Romanticized Abuse: Implied in "Don't Ever Leave" between the singer and the person he's singing about.
- Self-Titled Album: Their first album.
- Sliding Scale of Idealism vs. Cynicism: Go ahead and try to find one positive thought in any of their songs. We'll wait.
- Stepford Smiler: Invoked with their actual name, no less.
- Taught by Television: The bridge of "Nowhere Kids" alludes to this as a form of Parental Neglect."And what did you expect
A perfect child
Raised by TV sets
Abandoned every mile."
- War Is Hell: "This is war" and "God's army" are both good examples.