Our Dumb World is a mock world atlas written by The Onion. It contains a section on every country on Earth, plus some places that aren't countries. It's a Spiritual Successor to Our Dumb Century.
This book provides examples of:
- Black Comedy
- Brand X: Central African Republic is presented as a generic store brand version of an African country, with pictueres of people wearing black-and-white African garb and selling generically-labeled products.
- Crapsack World: Essentially how every country is presented, especially in the sections for Africa and the Middle East.
- "Far Side" Island: The Pacific island nation of Kiribati is said to be one of these.
- Girlfriend in Canada: On the map of Canada, there's a spot marked as "Location of supposed girlfriend from camp".
- 419 Scam: The first page of Nigeria.
- Hollywood Atlas: Exploiting (or making up) national stereotypes for humor is the whole point of the book.
- Hollywood Teenager: The rebellious 15-year-old country of Eritrea.
- Porn Names: Hungary, portrayed as solely devoted to making porn, goes by "Gary Hung" in the business.
- Retroactive Legacy: The cover of the book lists it as its 73rd edition.
- Running Gag: Many Countries in Africa have a person named Mtumbe Ngoube.
- Take That!: The part on Minnesota is titled "Land of 10,000 Retards" and consists of over-the-top bashing of the state. It should be noted that The Onion was founded in Madison, Wisconsin.
- Take That, Audience!: The introduction contains "A Note to Barnes & Noble Browsers" bashing people who read the book in the store without buying it.
- Technology Marches On: In the entry for Japan, the "palmtop computer" seems less hilarious just a few years later with the advent of smart phones.
- Überwald: Romania is portrayed this way, with the page's subtitle reading Bram Stoker's Romania.