Extreme Monsters was a book series published by Penny Candy Press and Brighter Minds Media about a group of preteen monsters who enjoyed playing extreme sports. The main group consisted of Val (a skateboarding vampire), Jinx (a street luging witch), Wulf (an in-line skating werewolf), Steiner (a BMX biking Frankenstein monster) and Mumford (a speed climbing mummy), with their coach being a mad scientist named Doc.
Competing against the Extreme Monsters was a rival team called Team Pendant, which was owned by an unscrupulous businessman named Damon Christopher.
Each chapter book had a puzzle at the end of every chapter, the correct answers of which would be used to form a password to unlock games and other features on the books' now defunct official website www.extrememonsters.com
Books in the main series:
- The Blue Moon Effect
- What's With Wulf?
- Meet Mr. Hydeous
- Battling Bigfoot
- The Extreme Monsters Joke Book
- Ambiguous Gender: One of the members of Team Pendant mentioned in Battling Bigfoot is an ogre who is described as being hard to tell if male or female.
- Bigfoot, Sasquatch and Yeti:
- The Extreme Monsters like to hang at Mr. Cool's Ice Cream and Beet Juice Parlor, which is run by a yeti named Mr. Cool.
- The fourth book had the team encountering a tribe of Bigfoot.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Damon Christopher is the greedy owner of Pendant Enterprises who only cares about making profits from his assets and is willing to replace any athlete from his team Team Pendant on a whim.
- Dhampyr: Val is only half-vampire due to having a human mother.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Gerald turning himself into Mr. Hydeous with his uncle Doc's botched diet formula in order to beat the Extreme Monsters in Meet Mr. Hydeous is a clear reference to athletes cheating by using steroids.
- Frankenstein's Monster: Steiner is a Frankenstein monster.
- Jekyll & Hyde: The third book introduces Doc's nephew Gerald, a bland geek with no interest in extreme sports who ends up drinking a potion that transforms him into an athletic monster named Mr. Hydeous, who competes against the Extreme Monsters by playing for Team Pendant.
- Mad Scientist: The Extreme Monsters' coach Doc, who created Steiner.
- Monster Mash: The premise of the book series is that it's about a group of monster kids who enjoy playing extreme sports. The Extreme Monsters consists of a skateboarding vampire named Val, a street luging witch named Jinx, an in-line skating werewolf named Wulf, a BMX biking Frankenstein monster named Steiner and a speed climbing mummy named Mumford.
- Mummy: Mumford is a mummy.
- Our Werebeasts Are Different: Battling Bigfoot has a werekitten named Kitty mentioned as a member of Team Pendant.
- Power Limiter: To prevent their powers from giving them an unfair advantage over humans, monster athletes wear Neutralizer Wristbands to weaken their powers.
- The Smurfette Principle: Jinx the Witch is the only female member of the Extreme Monsters.
- Those Two Bad Guys: Cletus and Clem Sline, a pair of green-skinned brothers who work for Damon Christopher and use their slime powers to cheat in competitions while playing for Team Pendant.
- Vegetarian Vampire: Val is a literal example. His character bio states that he doesn't drink blood like his father and instead partakes in a vegetarian diet taught to him by his mother.