The Rocker is a 2008 comedy starring Rainn Wilson as "Robert 'Fish' Fishman" the drummer for the band Vesuvius. However, when Vesuvius betrays him for a chance to hit the big time, he swears to become bigger than they've ever been...
Twenty years later, his life is down the drain, he's living with his sister, and drumming brings him pain. But when he gets one last chance to live the dream, will he become a rock star, or will he finally be forced to grow up?
This Film provides examples of the following Tropes:
- All Drummers Are Animals: Fish, very much so. Sticks, not so much.
- As Himself: Pete Best
- Berserk Button: Anything that reminds Fish of Vesuvius makes him furious, given that he was sold out by them. Until the end of the film, at least.
- British Rock Star: All of Vesuvius act like this post-fame, complete with fake British accents. Their new drummer Sticks actually is British, though.
- Broken Record: During Vesuvius's performance at the end of the film, the audio skips to reveal that they were lip syncing.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Both the guy from the record label in the beginning, and the one who signs them later on.
- Fan Disservice: Fish as The Naked Drummer.
- Groin Attack: When Fish throws the TV out the window.
- Improbable Weapon User: After being fired from the band, Fish uses his drumsticks to attack their fleeing van.
- Memetic Mutation: In-Universe example. The Naked Drummer video goes viral, which causes their song to become a hit, and them to get signed for a record deal.
- Naked People Are Funny
- Oh, Crap!: Vesuvius and Fish get shocked when the former was caught lip syncing.
- Outside Ride: Fish atop Vesuvius' van while they try to escape his wrath.
- Reality Ensues: Fish is dismissed after attacking a co-worker who mentions that Vesuvius has a new album. That would get you fired in real-life.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Vesuvius flees the stage when they were discovered that they were lip syncing.
- Shout-Out: When Fish is pursuing Vesuvius' van, he shouts that he will "swallow their souls".
- The Stoic: Amelia never smiles. Except at the end, of course.
- Take That!: When Vesuvius gets caught lip syncing in concert"We've got an Ashlee Simpson situation here."
- That Syncing Feeling: At the end of the film, Vesuvius knew the gig was up when their track was skipping.
- Vomit Indiscretion Shot: Fish pukes in his hand out of nervousness when he's about to play the drums for the first time in twenty years.