The Night Eats the World is a French zombie film released in 2018. It follows the story of Sam, who is one of the lone survivors of a zombie invasion in Paris and keeps himself barricaded inside an apartment while wondering how long he can last in such silence.
This film provides examples of:
- All Just a Dream: It turns out he was hallucinating "Sarah". She really did die on his bed.
- Bittersweet Ending: Sam discovers that he killed "Sarah", but he realizes he needs to let go, so he sets Alfred free and burns the tapes he came to the apartment for in the first place. The fire sets off the alarm, which allows the zombies to break in. Sam escapes to the roof of a nearby building thanks to "Sarah"'s equipment, and he looks on at the horizon of rooftops before him, showing that this is just the beginning of his journey.
- Chekhov's Gun: It was a good thing that Sam got Alfred out of the elevator shaft near the end, as he uses it to escape the apartment when the zombies break in and block the stairs in the end.
- Due to the Dead: Sam covers "Sarah"'s body and lights candles around her after discovering she died.
- Go Mad from the Isolation: Sam descends into this. It takes Sarah, or a hallucination of her for him to realize that this is true and that the solution to this is to leave the apartment and move on.
- Hero of Another Story: Sam discovers a bunch of photos in "Sarah"'s backpack, the first ones showing people who are presumably her family, later turning into photos of lone zombies that she passed by. Sam also finds grappling hook equipment in her backpack, and it is assumed that she used these to jump from building to building. These are not explained, as "Sarah" died before she could properly introduce herself to Sam.
- Maybe Magic, Maybe Mundane: When Sam finally lets Alfred out of the elevator shaft and lets him stay in a flat, Alfred doesn't go after him and goes into the flat without trouble. Maybe Alfred got used to Sam's presence that he no longer sees him as a target. Maybe there's still a bit of Alfred left in him from the afterlife. Or maybe Alfred is just a dumb zombie.
- Our Zombies Are Different: These zombies can run and are quiet, allowing them to ambush their targets.
- Raising the Steaks: The zombies aren't interested in a cat and the cat isn't afraid of the zombies, to the point that Sam sees the cat peacefully sitting at the leg of a zombie trying to go after him.
- Reality Ensues: When Sam uses "Sarah"'s grappling hook to escape the apartment, he slams into the other building and temporarily faints because he has no experience using it.
- Slept Through the Apocalypse: Sam slept through the zombie outbreak, hence the movie's title.