Moonsoon Wedding is a 2001 film shot with cooperation from both Bollywood and Hollywood that chronicles the story of an Arranged Marriage and the wedding the bride's father throws for them. Interspersed with this are a number of subplots about love, romance, and family. Secrets and lies are exposed for good or for ill. At it's heart though, this film is about family.
This film provides examples of the following:
- Beta Couple: The romance between the event planner Dubey and the maid Alice progresses faster than the one between the husband and wife despite the fact that those two are the ones actually getting married.
- Costume Porn: The saris worn during the wedding ceremonies are gorgeous.
- Creepy Uncle: One of the subplots involves an uncle who abused the bride's cousin Ria as a child and now she's worried that he's doing the same thing to an even younger cousin, Aliya.
- Dark Secret:
- Lalit's wife Pimmi smokes in the bathroom, and then flushes it down the toilet and sprays air freshener so that no one knows. Lalit catches on though.
- Lalit's brother Tej has a history of sexually abusing his nieces. Complicated by the fact that he's extremely rich and bailed Lalit out after The Partition of India left that part of the family destitute. Now Tej is offering to pay for Ria to go to school in America, and no one can understand why she isn't all excited at the prospect.
- Family Disunion: The whole family has come from all over the globe and in doing so, friction develops, especially as Creepy Uncle Tej is reunited with Ria, the niece he sexually abused as a child, and the fallout when it all comes out.
- Perfectly Arranged Marriage: The film starts with the arranged couple feeling very awkward in each other's company, and there's some complications with her old flame, but by the end the two of them are taking quite a liking to each other.
- The Reveal:
- Aditi has been having an affair with a married man. She finally tells her groom-to-be before the wedding and he thanks her for her honesty. This reveal is part of what triggers them to open up and fall in love.
- Ria's uncle sexually abused her as a young girl; now he's moving on to her younger cousin Aliya, who confirms in a casual conversation that he's been French kissing her. When Ria finally confronts him in front of his brother it triggers drama, resulting ultimately in Lalit banning his brother from his house to protect his family.
- Scenery Porn: The entire film is colourful and filled with beautiful shots of wedding decorations and flowers, and the scenery of India. The outside of the house is verdant with strings of marigolds.
- Sleeping Single: The father Lalit and his wife start the film like this, but eventually they wind up curled up together in one of the twin beds just holding one another.
- Triang Relations: Aditi had an affair with a television producer she worked with, but his refusal to leave his wife has caused her to accept an arranged marriage instead.