Katherine "Kit" Gordy (Robb) is sent to the Blackwood Boarding School due to her hot temper, where she meets four other young women like herself. However, they soon learn that Blackwood is hiding a secret...
The film was released August 17, 2018.
Previews: Trailer 1.
Down a Dark Hall has examples of the following:
- Adaptation Name Change: While the characters in this film play out similar roles to the one in the books all of the girls at Blackwood besides Kit do not retain their book names. Sandy, Ruth and Lynda are now Ashley, Izzy and Sierra.
- Advertising by Association: The trailer advertises the film as being "From the producers of The Twilight Saga", presumably because Stephenie Meyer is one of the film's producers.
- Alpha Bitch: Veronica comes off as one. She joins the line by abrasively pushing some of the girls aside.
- Canon Foreigner: Veronica and Miss Olonsky are not from the book.
- Doing It for the Art: What Madame Duret claims as her motive in-universe, the simple desire to allow the great artists and thinkers of the past a chance to complete their life's work. However, it's hard not to notice that Madame Duret is making a fortune selling the works of her students as "lost masterpieces."
- Driven to Suicide: Whatever happens in the school is immensely mentally taxing for the girls, and their physical and mental state deteriorates quickly through the movie as their use as vessels for deceased artists and thinkers, which prompts Ashley to kill herself.
- HeelFace Turn: Jules is a willing participant in his mother's scheme, but once he finds out that every previous girl she's tried this on is dead or in a mental institution, he changes sides immediately.
- Jump Scare: Quite a few of these can be seen in the trailer.
- Science Is Bad: Madame Duret and her staff see the girls as expendable subjects in important research.
- Wicked Stepfather: Subverted. Kit and Dave don't particularly get along, but Kit doesn't resent him and honestly wants her mother to be happy in her second marriage.