Blood Cult is a 1985 Slasher Movie.
At an Oklahoma college, a Serial Killer is slaying women, taking one body part and leaving a gold medallion in its place. While investigating the crimes, a detective discovers that the amulets are connected to a cult that worshipped a dog god.
This film is most notable for being the first Direct-to-Video horror film ever made. Despite its advertising, it was not the first shot-on-video horror film, being predated by Boardinghouse in 1982 and Sledgehammer in 1983. A sequel titled Revenge was released in 1986.
Despite being also called "Slasher", it has nothing to do with the series Slasher.
This film contains examples of:
- Antagonist Title: The protagonist is Ron.
- Based on a Great Big Lie: The film claims to be a dramatization of a crime that happened in November-December 1985. The film was released in May 1985.
- Big Bad: Dr. White leads the cult.
- Calling Card: The killer takes a body part and leaves a medallion at each crime scene.
- Disney Villain Death: Tina throws herself off a fire escape.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Joel says that having Ron's career ruined would be just punishment for him prioritizing his job over his daughter.
- Downer Ending: Ron learns that his daughter is the killer. After the final confrontation, she kills herself, leaving Ron in despair. The rest of the cult gets off scot-free.
- Generic Doomsday Villain: The cult are committing murders to make a body for their god, who then do... Something. The only cultist with any more motive than that is Tina, who is mad at her father for neglecting her.
- Gory Deadly Overkill Title of Fatal Death
- Greater-Scope Villain: The cultists worship a dog god named Caninis. They intend to resurrect him so he can Take Over the World.
- Meaningful Name: The dog god is named "Caninis."
- Moral Guardians: Ron asks if there are any Dungeons & Dragons groups on campus on multiple occasions during his investigation.
- Opening Scroll: The second scene is a description of the murders, when they happened and who solved them.
- Team Title
- Villain Opening Scene: The first scene features the killer slaying and claiming the forearm of the first victim.