"Tobirama is dearly wishing he'd just sucked it up and slept in a tree. Until he isn't anymore."
Kamikakushi is a Naruto fanfiction. It can be found at AO3.
A chance encounter with a spirit leads Tobirama to follow a path that his Clan is unaware of involving the world of demons and spirits.
This series provides examples of:
- All Myths Are True: Tobirama has been meeting several mythical creatures.
- Annoying Arrows: Averted. When Tobirama gets a bolt through his shoulder, it is painful and the blood loss results in him nearly falling over and having to be carried after he heals himself.
- Big Damn Heroes: When Tobirama takes a mission for Lord Inoue, he meets an Uchiha ghost that saves him. The initial act works, but the follow-up leaves Tobirama unimpressed with his savior.
- Blue-and-Orange Morality: The youkai show this. Uten claims Tobirama and doesn't tell him until later. Natsuru's first meeting has her asking for Tobirama's hair. Botan is willing to eat Butsuma for upsetting Tobirama. The Crane Ladies throw people they like into harms way.
- The Clan: We have the Senju, the Uchiha, the Akimichi and the Hyuuga as established Noble Clans in Fire Country. We've also had references to the Hatake, the Sarutobi, the Maito and other Clans although, excluding the Hatake representative Muka, at a Senju meeting, these Clans have yet to have any named characters.
- Cursed with Awesome: While being a sensor means no one can sneak up on you and makes you very valuable to your clan, it also means that you are constantly sensing people. Tobirama says that people become stifling to his sense after a while.
- Daylight Horror: Most of Tobirama's encounters with Youkai have occurred during the day.
- Devoted to You: Botan and Churippu are loyal to Tobirama.
- Extra Eyes: Some Youkai are examples of this. Botan has five and Higanbana has eight.
- Harmful to Minors: It's set in the Naruto Warring Clans Era, where child soldiers under the age of ten were the norm, not the exception.
- Humans Are Special: Uten states that Youkai are incapable of fighting the God Tree."But it takes human chakra to fight the Tree, which youkai can't learn."
- I'm a Humanitarian: Several youkai eating humans. Such as the oni.
- Immortal Procreation Clause: Daiyoukai do not have offspring easily. It's one of the reasons they adopt kamikakushi.
- Interspecies Friendship: Tobirama and his youkai. Otsuno and the youkai he's friendly. Natsuru mentions being on good terms with a tengu. There are quite a few examples.
- Invisible Monsters: It seems like if you're not marked by youkai somehow, you need Sage training to perceive their presence. Otherwise, they'll beinvisible. Notably, Izuna was in the same room as Tobirama while he was getting information from a kodama and never noticed it, even when he had his sharingan active and when he sealed its tree, resulting in it clinging to the scroll as he carried it, still unaware of its presence.
- Just a Kid: The Hyuuga representative during the first trip to Yumeyo is dismissive of Tobirama and Izuna based on this and the striations on Tobirama's chakra
- Killer Rabbit: Churippu is much more dangerous than she looks. And Botan is noted to be quite strong.
- Living Lie Detector: This trope is referring to during a clan meeting where Tobirama stops taking notes to draw seal designs. When his father gets his attention, he finds he had been drawing a design for a seal that reveals when deliberate deception occurs in its presence and notes it's useless to him (implied to be due to his sensor abilities).
- Living Shadow: One attacked Tobirama during his first trip to Yumeyo
- The Masquerade: Some Youkai, such as Dragons can disguise themselves as mortal, like Uten with his priest form.
- Noodle Incident:
- Otsuno had a encounter involving the Crane Ladies and Onikuma. "That way lies bad ideas, and baldness." He refuses to say more.
- Tobirama comments at one point that "he hadn't known you could induce that kind of panic in an Uchiha with anything less than a broken sword, a ring of explosive seals, and a jar of sake." Which implies he has caused an Uchiha to panic with those items at one point.
- One-Steve Limit: There is a fox-spirit called Izuna.
- One-Woman Wail: One is heard from the Mu-Onna village.
- Sadly Mythtaken: Tobirama finds that the true story of The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter is not the gentle story he had heard previously. He is now aware of Kaguya's true story and how the relationship between Indra and Ashura ended.
- Shown Their Work: Pandaflower has done plenty of research into the folklore incorporated into the story.
- Silly Rabbit, Idealism Is for Kids!: Butsuma has this opinion towards Hashirama's dreams of peace.
- Spanner in the Works: It is implied there are factions planning for Toibrama to be this for Zetsu and Kaguya.
- Spirit World: Makai is the name of the demon realm. Tobirama visits here often.
- Snooping Little Kid: Tobirama and Izuna after the Diplomat's House catches fire.
- Tangled Family Tree: Take into mind that when you trace the Senju and the Uchiha back far enough, you have Kaguya, the Sage of the Six Paths and the Tailed Beasts. And that's ignoring that Tobirama now has a Dragon Family added to his family tree.
- Training from Hell: During his Sage training, Otsuno puts Tobirama through this as stress helps the process.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: Churippu may see herself as this as if Tobirama hadn't found her and tried to find her a home in a Shrine, he wouldn't have met Uten and been claimed, rendering Otsuno's promise worthless.
- Was Once a Man: When a Kamikakushi is claimed, they will eventually transform into the type of Youkai they were claimed by. An unclaimed Kamikakushi will transform in a youkai based on what turned them into a Kamikakushi. Or they get eaten. So there are probably several formerly human Youkai around.
- Weirdness Magnet: Kamikakushi draw youkai to their locations. Another youkai's presence will discourage attacks. A daiyoukai adopting a Kamikakushi will result in the kamikakushi very rarely being attacked due to their power and youkai not wanting to face their anger.