After the Blackest Night, a lone Black Lantern Ring flies towards the outer reaches of space and eventually lands on the Moon of Equestria, invoking the release of the Nightmare Moon herself! The Emotional Spectrum, sensing the darkness growing stronger, sends one special ring from each Lantern Corps to Equestria to combat the darkness...
Back on Equestria, the citizens of Ponyville find themselves under attack by demonic ponies. As many ponies flee from town, several rings land across Equestria, each one being found by ponies drawn together by the threads of fate.
But not all the ring wielders will show restraint with their powers, as the darkness grows stronger, who's side will be taken?
Now has a side-story titled In Brightest Day: The Second Front.
This story provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Most of the Mane Six become this after getting their rings. However ringless characters like Princess Cadence, Spitfire, and Cheerilee have their moments as well.
- Action Survivor: Cheerilee saves a group of foals and menages to lead them away from Ponyville when the invasion starts.
- Adaptational Villainy: While Mitta and Ruby were in fact friendly and helpful towards Apple Bloom in Story of the Blanks note , in this story, it's quite the opposite. While Ruby feels constant remorse and guilt for her horrific actions, Mitta seems to be completely villainous and relishing in the pain and suffering of her victims. The reason of this has yet to be explained...
- All Your Base Are Belong to Us: Nightmare Moon's forces take over Ponyville in less than a day.
- Alternate History: The events of this story takes place during the very first episode of the series.
- It's later revealed that Story of the Blanks had taken place at least a month before the events of this story. Only the events leading into the story happened differently due to Twilight's absence.Applebloom: Ah was playing ball with Twist when it bounced too close to the forest! Ah figured it was only near the edge Ah could just get it back easily, but when Ah got there Ah saw this little filly deeper in the forest!...Ah figured she might be lost so Ah called out to her, but she just went deeper. Ah was afraid if Ah left her something terrible would happen to her so Ah followed her trying to get her to come with me, but she wouldn't listen and eventually led me to...
Gladstone: Sunny Town...
- It's later revealed that Story of the Blanks had taken place at least a month before the events of this story. Only the events leading into the story happened differently due to Twilight's absence.
- Anti-Hero: Rainbow Dash after she get's her Red Lantern ring.
- Badass Creed: Being a Green Lantern crossover, anyone with a ring has one. However they all tend to change it to their liking:
- Nightmare Moon and her Black Lanterns:My Blackest Night spreads through the skies,
Let darkness grow as all light dies,
We'll crave your hearts and your demise,
By my dark will...The dead shall rise!"
- Green Lantern Applejack:In Brightest Day, in Blackest Night,
I will not flee from evils sight!
When evil rises and wields it's might,
Beware my power - Green Lanterns light!
- Yellow Lantern Twilight Sparkle:In Blackest Day, In Brightest Night,
Beware your fears made by my light,
To those who dare challenge my might,
Burn like my power... Fear's vengeful Light!
- Red Lantern Rainbow Dash:With blazing flames of raging red,
From Tartarus depths we bring great dread.
With crimson storms of burning hate,
We'll burn you all...That is your fate!!
- Indigo Lantern Fluttershy:With indigo light I take great care,
To stop all evil whenever it dare,
To those who are gripped with great despair,
Compassion shall guide you, for this I swear!
- Blue Lantern Pinkie Pie:In warmest days and Coldest nights,
Our hooves shall sound with thunderous might!
When all seems lost and evil strikes,
Look to the stars... For hope burns bright!
- Nightmare Moon and her Black Lanterns:
- Bad Powers, Good People: Twilight, despite the Yellow Lantern running on Fear, she fights for the side of good.
- While she still thinks Twilight is evil, Rainbow Dash wants the Black lanterns dead as much as everyone else and uses the light of rage to fight them.
- The Berserker: Spike after he becomes an Orange Lantern.
- Big Bad: Nightmare Moon.
- Big Damn Heroes: Applejack pulls this off when Rainbow Dash attempts to kill Twilight.
- Rainbow Dash pulls this off in chapter 3 when she saves several foals along with Cheerilee.
- Princess Cadence and Shining Armor pull this off by combining her love spell with his shield, allowing them to expel all of the Black lanterns out of Canterlot.
- Scootaloo pulls one off when she arrives with a new pet Windigo to help Rainbow, Gilda, and Fluttershy against Orange Lantern Spike.
- The Cameo: Several throughout the story:
- During Chapter 2, Lyra, Button Mash and his mother are seen with a group of civilians that the remaining Royal Guards are protecting while helping them escape Ponyville. The leader of the group is Flash Sentry.
- While inside her old castle, Nightmare Moon comes across an old photograph of Snowdrop
- While staying over at Twilight's home in Canterlot, Sweetie Belle comes across an old book depicting an adult Nyx atop a cliff in front of the full moon, standing heroically before a horde of monsters. Twilight's mother Velvet states that it's one of Twilights favorite bedtime stories.
- Cool Pet: Scootaloo recruits a Windigo into the Red Lanterns by using it's ability to feed on rage.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Pretty much the fate of any non-elite Black Lantern the goes up against Rainbow Dash, Gilda, and Scootaloo.
- Nightmare Moon dishes out a nasty one against Cadence, and Applejack & Twilight follow soon after. Thankfully, her corrupted Elements of Harmony manage to rebel against her, forcing her to retreat before she can finish them off.
- Dark Is Evil: Again, Nightmare Moon.
- Defiant to the End / Last Stand: Rainbow Dash and Applejack both attempt this when surrounded by Black Lanterns, only for their respective actions to attract the Red and Green Rings.
- Emergency Transformation: Scootaloo is made a Red Lantern to save her from a Black Lantern.
- Rainbow Dash pulls this on Gilda much later.
- Elite Mooks: Several residents of Sunny Town became this after joining the Black Lanterns, Rainbow Dash even Lampshades it:Rainbow Dash: "So basically you're a pair of over glorified mooks with a power boost, big deal!"
- Heroic BSoD: Pinkie Pie goes into one after encountering Rainbow Dash as a Red Lantern.
- Mad Love: Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon. They keep their relationship a secret and truly look out for themselves, even going so far as to devise a plan as to how to survive their trek through the forest and evade getting killed by the Black Lantern horde.
- Mistaken for Spies: After getting the ring, Rainbow Dash assumes that Twilight is secretly working for Nightmare Moon due to how she was asking around town (and was the only one who knew Nightmare Moon by name before she introduced herself) and immediately tries to kill her.
- Murder by Inaction: Diamond Tiara comes up with a plan to kill off her classmates by separating them from the group and having the Black Lanterns pick them off one by one, essentially keeping their hooves clean of any actual murder.
- Murder Is the Best Solution: Diamond Tiara convinces Silver Spoon that they cannot make it to Vanhoover with so large a group, and that the only way to guarantee their survival was to dwindle their numbers so that Cheerilee may focus on protecting them instead.
- One-Man Army: Rainbow Dash, while wielding Red Ring, easily rips apart any Black Lantern she encounters (excluding the Elites).
- Psycho Supporter: When Diamond Tiara suggest that they kill off their classmates so that Cheerilee focuses on making sure she and Silver survive, Silver Spoon backs Diamond Tiara up with no hesitation.
- Sealed Good in a Can: Princess Celestia, having been sealed in the Moon itself by Nightmare Moon.
- Shoot the Hostage: Rainbow Dash pulls this on Gilda when Mitta attempts to use her as a meat-shield, but it's immediately subverted when Rainbow Dash reveals that she blasted her with a Ring Construct to turn her into a Red Lantern.
- Shout-Out: Quite a few:
- When Twilight's ring runs out of energy, Pinkie says that they need several Triple A batteries and demands that they find a "pink bunny with a drum" since they last the longest, an obvious reference to the Energizer Bunny.
- Rainbow Dash's Red Lantern armor is based off of the Shredder from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003) series, and Twilight's Yellow Lantern armor is based on the Dark Magician from Yu-Gi-Oh!.
- Rainbow Dash's quotes tend to be this:
- During her battle with the Black Lantern Elites, she gives us these lovely lines:"OLLY OLLY OXEN-BITCH!"
"HI GUYS! YOU REMIND ME OF SOME ASSHOLES I'M GONNA KILL!!"
- During her fight with Applejack in Chapter 3:"THAT'S IT!! I'M GONNA MESS YOU UP!!"
- In Chapter 4, when Gilda is about turned into a Black lantern by Mitta, Rainbow Dash arrives gives us this gem:
- During her battle with the Black Lantern Elites, she gives us these lovely lines:
- Standard Evil Organization Squad / Quirky Miniboss Squad: The Black Lantern Elites, consisting of: Gladstone, Three Leaf, Starlet, Roneo, Mitta, Ruby, and Grey Hoof.
- Villain Song: An interesting example occurs in Chapter 2. Right after gaining the Green Lantern Ring, Applejack is confronted by Ruby, Mitta, and a recently corrupted Granny Smith. During the fight the trio proceeds to sing "With Me" to further hammer in how hopeless her situation is and how she should just surrender. However at certain points of the song Applejack sings her own lyrics during the fight, and eventually takes over the entire song near the end, having it pertain to the fact that she won't surrender as she successfully defeats the trio.
In Brightest Day: The Second Front
In Brightest Day: The Second Front is a side-story to "In Brightest Day...".
The evil of Nightmare Moons Blackest Night cannot be contained, seeping into another realm and bringing about darkness and death.
Sunset Shimmer, having self-exiled herself to an alternate universe inhabited by human counterparts of her homeworld, must take up the power of the Emotional Spectrum, move past her own personal issues, and mend the bonds she has broken in this world in order to bring about a team capable of defending it.
This story contains examples of:
- Anti-Villain: Sunset after she gets her Red Ring. She hates the Black Lanterns, but she plans to use the Ring's power to dominate the world and eventually Equestria. The only thing stopping her is the Green Guardian.
- Ax-Crazy: Pinkamena after becoming a Yellow Lantern.
- Big Damn Heroes: Sunset comes to Scootaloo's rescue before a Black lantern can get her.
- Everyone Has Standards: Sunset may be a jerk and a bully, but she'd never leave someone to die, as shown when she saves Scootaloo from a collapsing building and a Black Lantern.
- Failed a Spot Check / Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: Twilight, unaware of the Mirror being a portal, accidentally lets the Black Ring pass through, causing major problems for Earth.
- Badass Creed: Like in the original story, anyone with a ring has one and changes it to their liking:
In Vengeful Day, in Hateful Night
- Red Lantern Sunset Shimmer:
Let those who wronged me fear my might!
All those who oppose truest hate,
Shall see my ring and seal their fate!
In brightest day, in darkest night,
- The Green Guardian:
All evil falls before my might,
To all who dare oppose what's right,
Beware my power, Green Lanterns light!
Your greatest fears shall fuel my drive,
- Yellow Lantern Pinkamena:
To slaughter all that are alive,
Behold the terror of my might,
I'm fear incarnate, flee from my light!
- Mysterious Stranger: The Green Guardian. Exactly who she is has yet to be revealed, only that she wields the Green Lantern Ring and seems to know Sunset very well.
- Parental Neglect: Shown to be the reason why Sunset is the way she is; Sunburst was her older and more talented brother who got all their parents' praise, while all Sunset got was "we expected nothing less" or "Sunburst did it better"... until eventually she snapped and cut off all ties to her family after she became Celestia's student. Upon arriving in the Human world Sunset almost immediately ran into her Human family, who were desperately searching for her hoping to make up for their mistakes. Sunset discovered that a similar scenario happened resulting in her counterpart running away and decided to use this development to her advantage, taking her human self's place.
- Trauma-Induced Amnesia: After nearly getting killed by a Black Lantern and bleeding out from her injuries, Scootaloo goes through this. As a result she can't remember that it was Sunset who saved her life.