As the title suggests, the fic is a novelization of Hyrule Warriors.
Note: This article assumes you have already played Hyrule Warriors; therefore, all spoilers regarding the game's plot will be unmarked. You Have Been Warned.
Hyrule Warriors: Heroes Through Time contains examples of the following tropes:
- Accidental Pervert: At the end of chapter 3, Wizzro, while going to give Cia his mission report, ends up walking in on her taking a bath. While Wizzro initially flips out and apologizes, Cia calmly brushes it off, deadpanning, "I highly doubt seeing me in a bathtub will scar you for life."
- Adaptation Expansion:
- The fic follows the game's plot, but adds additional content, such as the Time Gazers, a clan of time-controlling witches that Cia and Lana belonged to, as well as adding in Groose, Pipit, and Scrapper during the Skyloft chapter. The fic also incorporates some of Cia's storyline as well.
- The wolf that appears as part of Midna's moveset is actually a pet that she created, inspired by the Link of her time.
- Both Tingle and Young Link have a role to play in the story, with Tingle charting out the Temple of the Sacred Sword and Young Link stepping in to help with the battle against Ganondorf.
- Agony Beam: Cia has quite the habit of using magical lightning on Volga and Wizzro whenever they talk back to her.
- And I Must Scream/People Puppets: In Chapter 3, Wizzro uses his magic to momentarily take control of Link in an attempt to kill Impa, Lana, and Sheik. Link is fully aware of what's happening, but is unable to override Wizzro's control. Even speaking under his thrall takes a considerable amount of effort. Sheik frees him by using a Sheikah nerve technique to disable his arms and then smashing his head against the ground.
- Bad Boss:
- While she already displayed such traits in the game itself, Cia takes it even further here by zapping Volga and Wizzro with dark magic lightning whenever they question her orders or simply talk back to her.
- Wizzro also has shades of this, as he frequently insults and berates the Dark Forces and even kills a few of them when they report that Zelda is nowhere to be found.
- Bearer of Bad News: Whenever Cia suffers a setback, Wizzro is usually the one to deliver the bad news.
- Big Damn Heroes: Young Link arrived in full Fierce Deity Mask mode, saving the current Link and Zelda from Ganondorf.
- Big Damn Reunion: Young Link and Navi.
- Book Dumb: Link confesses to being as such, having been more of an athlete than a bookworm, as well as falling asleep in class. As a result, he's largely unaware of such things as the legend of the chosen hero.
- Butt-Monkey: Wizzro gets this treatment, as he's constantly abused by both Volga and Cia.
- Companion Cube: Cia uses her Crystal Ball as this, using it to spy on Link and speak to him.
- Control Freak: Cia has shades of this. Her immediate response to even the slightest question of her authority is to zap Wizzro or Volga with dark lightning.
- Deadpan Snarker: Cia, as usual.
- Double Entendre: As always, Cia seems literally incapable of opening her mouth without making some kind of sexual innuendo.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: In Chapter 5, Volga uses this trope to taunt Ghirahim during their fight.Volga: You're not so bad yourself... for someone that looks like a woman. Are you sure it's Lord Ghirahim and not Lady Ghirahim?
- Fantastic Racism: As always, Volga despises humans, and when Cia suggests working with Skyloft's humans, Volga immediately objects to the idea. Sadly, Cia will have none of it.Volga: Work with human scum?! Out of the question!
- Forceful Kiss: Cia gives one to Link in their final confrontation.
- If I Can't Have You...: When Link makes it clear to Cia that he will never love her because of all of the destruction she's caused, Cia snaps and decides to kill him.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: In chapter 16, Lana finally snaps and dishes out one to Cia:Cia: What are you doing?! Can't you see I'm doing this for y—
[Lana cuts her off with an Elemental Punch to the face]
Lana: No! Not for me! This was never for me! This was for you! This has always been about you! Because the only thing you care about is you! Have you ever stopped to think about anything other than your relentless lust?! Oh wait, I can answer that. No! Because you're too busy swooning over one guy when there are thousands of others. And look at you! You're killing yourself over your stupid, petty jealousy! Do yourself and everyone a favor and think of something other than your hormones, you stupid bitch!
- She's Not My Girlfriend: Link tells Cia he's not in love with Zelda, but he's not going to love her either for endangering people's lives.
- Ship Tease: Impa of all people does this in Chapter 3 with Link and Lana, saying that Link is only suggesting they trust her because he thinks she's cute.
- Straw Misogynist: Volga, shown in this exchange between him and Lana in chapter 4.Volga: Driven to my knees by mere females? Laughable! Amusing how they always get the better of me in a fight.Lana: Ugh! Evil and sexist.
- This Is Wrong on So Many Levels: Link's reaction when he sees all the statues of himself.
- Tranquil Fury: In Chapter 8, Princess Ruto surprisingly manages this. After Sheik and Impa free Darunia from the Poe's control, Darunia frees the captured Zora Princess and begs forgiveness. Ruto doesn't immediately respond but calmly retrieves her bracelets... before blasting Darunia with water and going into a full-blown rant.
- In Chapter 2, when Impa demands from Wizzro the location of Princess Zelda, Wizzro taunts her by saying that he probably fed her to King Dodongo or had her limbs tied to horses. What makes this worse is that even he didn't know where Zelda was and said that just to mess with her.
- In Chapter 5, Cia blasts Ghirahim from behind with a dark magic blast, interrupting his fight with Volga, much to the Dragon Knight's chagrin. She even admits that she did that just to mess with him.
- Your Soul Is Mine: While mostly an Informed Ability in the game, in here Wizzro is shown to have the ability to drain the souls out of victims, horrifically emaciating their bodies as a result.