Tech Jacket is a graphic novel series about Zack, a teenager who is given a set of powered armour by a dying alien and uses it to become the hero Tech Jacket. The series ran to eight issues collected into two volumes.
Originally written by Robert Kirkman, the comic ran from November 2002 to April 2003.
The series shares a universe with the Invincible, Brit and Capes with Zack (as tech jacket) appearing in several Invincible comics.
This series provides examples of:
- And the Adventure Continues: The series ends with Zack having stopped defending Earth due to Robots takeover of Earth making his job obsolete, but still fights threats outside of Earth and is last seen heading off to defend Geldarians from Kresh remnants.
- Clothes Make the Superman: Without the Tech Jacket Zack is an ordinary human.
- Did Not Get the Girl: Zack has a crush on a girl who's already going out with a jock. At one point, the girl tries to tell him something but Zack had to leave (to deal with the Tech Jacket), leaving her alone upset with him.
- Enclosed Extraterrestrials: the Geldarians, who are always wearing their Tech Jackets as Twenty Four Hour Armor due to their weak bodies, but their helmets are retractable.
- Green-Skinned Space Babe: Lin
- Hammerspace: Where the tech jackets disappear to when not in use.
- Humans Are Cthulhu: Or more accurately sentient life is cthulhu. The final foe that is faced at the end of the second series is revealed to essentially be realitys immune system that views sentient life as a virus and wipes out any species that starts to become too advanced.
- Insistent Terminology: Zack prefers to be called a "galactic guardian" rather than a superhero, since he's mostly involved in galactic events.
- Male-to-Female Universal Adaptor: Aversion, Zack and Lin find this out when attempting to get intimate.
- Power Armor: The tech jacket, worn by the Zack and all Geldarians. In a interesting twist while the tech jackets increase the strength of the wearer, the jackets themselves are strengthened by their users. When used by a human they are vastly more powerful than used by the physically weaker Geldarians.
- Open-Minded Parent: Zack's parents are concerned about his safety but support him in his new role, his Dad mans a satellite base to help out.
- Swiss Army Appendage: the Tech jacket can produce/turn into a variety of weapons and tools.
- Time Dilation: Zack was taken to Gelderia, and when he returned to Earth he finds a few months had passed.
- What Measure Is a Non-Human?: Zack kills many, many Kresh (gas based lifeforms in robot suits) with no issues but is quite troubled after killing two human looking aliens in self-defense.
- Worthless Yellow Rocks: The Geldarians describe gold as a 'trash metal' only useful in some electronics and pay the major in lumps of it.