Tech Jacket is a graphic novel series about Zack, a teenager who is given a set of powered armour by a dying alien and uses it to become the hero Tech Jacket. The series ran to eight issues collected into two volumes.
Originally a six-issue comic running from November 2002 to April 2003.
The series shares a universe with the Invincible, Brit and Capes with Zack (as tech jacket) appearing in several Invincible comics.
This series provides examples of:
- Clothes Make the Superman: Without the Tech Jacket Zack is an ordinary human.
- Did Not Get the Girl: Zack has a crush on a girl who's already going out with a jock. At one point, the girl tries to tell him something but Zack had to leave (to deal with the Tech Jacket), leaving her alone upset with him.
- Enclosed Extraterrestrials: the Geldarians, who are always wearing their Tech Jackets as Twenty Four Hour Armor due to their weak bodies, but their helmets are retractable.
- Green-Skinned Space Babe: Lin
- Hammer Space: Where the tech jackets disappear to when not in use.
- Insistent Terminology: Zack prefers to be called a "galactic guardian" rather than a superhero, since he's mostly involved in galactic events.
- Male-to-Female Universal Adaptor: Aversion, Zack and Lin find this out when attempting to get intimate.
- Power Armor: The tech jacket, worn by the Zack and all Geldarians. In a interesting twist while the tech jackets increase the strength of the wearer, the jackets themselves are strengthened by their users. When used by a human they are vastly more powerful than used by the physically weaker Geldarians.
- Open-Minded Parent: Zack's parents are concerned about his safety but support him in his new role, his Dad mans a satellite base to help out.
- Swiss Army Appendage: the Tech jacket can produce/turn into a variety of weapons and tools.
- Time Dilation: Zack was taken to Gelderia, and when he returned to Earth he finds a few months had passed.
- What Measure Is a Non-Human?: Zack kills many, many Kresh (gas based lifeforms in robot suits) with no issues but is quite troubled after killing two human looking aliens in self defence.
- Worthless Yellow Rocks: The Geldarians describe gold as a 'trash metal' only useful in some electronics and pay the major in lumps of it.