Tellos is an Adventure/Fantasy graphic novel written by Todd Dezago with art by the late Mike Wieringo. It is set in a fairytale land of flying cities, dragons, magic, reptilian mooks, sword fights, and airboats. We follow Jarek, a young boy; Koj, his Man-Tiger companion; and Serra, a swashbuckling Pirate Captain as they get in trouble, meet new people and fend off all sorts of dreadful threats.
The original series debuted in 1999. Volume one, published by Image Comics in 2008, collects the ten issues comprising the original run, plus an afterword by Dezago, a bunch of other stories (namely: Tellos: The Scatterjack Story, Tellos: Prologue and Tellos: Prelude) and a thirteen page sketchbook. Here's a list of the One Shots that followed:
- Tellos: Maiden Voyage.
- Tellos: The Last Heist.
- Tellos: Sons And Moons.
Tellos contains examples of:
- Action Girl: Serra.
- Adventures in Comaland: At the end of the original series, it is revealed that Tellos is a fantasy world that exists in the mind of a boy lying in a coma in the real world. He is Jarek in that world. In the real world, Serra is his sister, Koj his stuffed tiger, etc.
- Big Bad: Malesur.
- The Big Guy: Koj.
- Cunning Like a Fox: Rikk certainly likes to think he is this. Others might argue he is not as clever as he thinks he is.
- Does Not Like Shoes: In Maiden Voyage, young Serra is shown to be barefoot when she first became a pirate.
- Evil Sorcerer: Malesur, the mad boy-wizard.
- High Fantasy: The setting.
- The Lancer: Hawke.
- Living Shadow: The aptly named Shadowjumpers.
- Mentor Archetype: Thomes Tharustra, but you can call him Tom.
- Mooks: Frog Soldiers.
- Pirate Girl: Serra
- The Smart Guy: Rikk. Arguably not smart enough for a fox.