With the entire military might of the Empire at his disposal and the
dark side of the Force at his command, no foe can hope to challenge him and win.
But someone has a score to settle with the Dark Lord.
The hunt is on.
Emboldened by recent victories against the previously thought invincible Empire, the fledgling Rebellion have set their sights on a bigger prize: the Imperial High Command. To expedite such a bold venture, the Rebels turn to one of their few allies in the criminal underworld, the Hidden Hand, who put out a contract on Darth Vader himself. A Ragtag Bunch of Misfits is assembled to go after Vader, led by Captain Beilert Valance, who has his own beef with the Empire. Meanwhile, Vader receives new orders from Emperor Palpatine: Find the leaders of the Hidden Hand and shut them down... permanently. A game of cat and mouse ensues.
Tropes featured in this comic include:
- Boxed Crook: Part of the reason why Valance agrees to lead the team. It's implied that he's accrued some debts from paying for his cybernetics out of his own pocket, which has made him desperate enough to "scab" from the Bounty Hunter union. He takes the job not just out of a lucrative payday, but also from an offer of sanctuary.
- Cold Sniper: Urrr'k.Valance: I don't trust you. I do, however, trust your aim. If you see trouble, shoot it.
- Crazy Enough to Work: About half of Valance's plans live and breathe on this.Chio: Of course, Valance is insane. Personally, I like that in a captain.
- Create Your Own Hero: The Hidden Hand was formed on Valance's homeworld on Chorin, after it was abandoned by The Empire.Valance: We both failed to protect Chorin. As a result, something was born on this mountain... the Hidden Hand.
- Curbstomp Battle: Vader chews up and spits out Valance's team. Chio and Honnah are outright killed, Gita barely escapes with her life, and Valance is captured after Dengar sells him out.
- Distressed Dude: Valance being interrogated by Vader.Valance: You think you can hurt me? I'm just as machine as you.Vader: You still feel. If you do not tell me what I need, you will never feel anything again.
- Dressing as the Enemy: Valance attempts to escape capture by disguising himself as a stormtrooper.
- Failed a Spot Check: Gita thought her Sand Person disguise was foolproof, as the religious customs of the Sand Peoplenote mean that none of the "prove you're not wearing a wire" tricks will work. However, she forgot about another one of their traditions: Sand People never leave Tatooine on their own volition.
- Miles Gloriosus: R9-19 claims to be a highly efficient assassin droid with a kill count that includes a few Jedi that escaped Order 66. Turns out he's a complete phony. Seeing how he was "up to his bolts in debt to the Hutts," Jabba probably put him there to spy on the Hidden Hand.
- The Mole: There are two on Valance's team. Urrr'k is really a Rebel operative named Gita; while Dengar has been planted by the Empire.
- No Honor Among Thieves: Something of An Aesop. Valance is scabbing the Bounty Hunter's Guild, citing there is "no code among the dead", and a contact betrays him, pretty much telling him there are no friends in this business, only allies. It's even suggested that Valance expected the contact to betray him.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: Valance and Dengar.