Hello, my name is Drew Pickles, and today I am going to TV Tropes.
"Hello, my name is Drew Pickles, and I am really really gay."
—A typical line from a Barney Bunch video
The Barney Bunch started out as a trolling group on Newgrounds
in 2005, but has evolved since then into a loosely affiliated group of people on YouTube
who make Speakonia-narrated
videos about the swell exploits of Drew Pickles
, Ronald McDonald
(better known as the Penis Clown), and other cartoon and puppet characters, all of whom are really really really gay. The basis is to get a childhood cartoon character (for example: Snagglepuss) and have him talk about his homosexuality. No information whatsoever is needed on the character, and not even Pablo Sanchez
A few years back, they also trolled Fanfiction.net
with fanfics that were done in the same way
. They disappeared after a few months, though some higher quality fics
have been written in the years since.
These videos provide examples of:
- All Gays Are Promiscuous
- Anachronism Stew: These videos probably take place in the present day, yet as a child, Drew (according to his profile) masturbated to The Wiggles, SpongeBob, and Dragon Tales. As well, he got a computer with the internet at age 11.
- Art Shift: Some people make animated videos in Flash rather than simple videos in Windows Movie Maker.
- Artifact Title/Breakout Character: Drew Pickles is more associated with the Barney Bunch than even its namesake.
- Artistic License – History: A common complaint on videos with real people is that "___ wasn't/weren't gay!". The people who complain about this often are unfamiliar with the genre.
- Ass Shove: Assorted characters, mostly Drew Pickles, will use anything as a dildo.
- Bears Are Bad News: Yogi Bear and Fatty Bear, who claim to be gayer than Drew Pickles.
- Berserk Button: Drew Pickles does not like lines. He'll also rape anyone who calls him a sick fuck.
- Black Comedy Rape
- Bowdlerization: Inverted in song parodies done by MrEXPERIMENTAL and others in which Drew or other characters will "sing" current pop songs with lyrics altered to be about extreme sexual behavior, masturbation, homosexuality and the like.
- Cast Full of Gay: There are virtually no BB characters who were homosexual in their original incarnation. Even the notoriously evangelical Ned Flanders has been written into gay sex scenes with Drew.
- Catch Phrase: "Bag, that was swell."
- The "official" Drew Pickles Facebook page has gathered flak for being so bowdlerized that the only status updates it posts are G-rated jokes about the word "swell." Occasionally a Barney Bunch member will post a typically NSFW comment related to the Barney Bunch on that page, but it is swiftly removed.
- Censor Box: Sometimes used when characters have sex.
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: Despite being major members of the Barney Bunch, The Conehead Groom, Arthur Read, The Wiggles, Teletubbies and Clifford the Big Red Dog are seldom seen nowadays.
- Child Of Rape: Dick Pickles, Drew's African-American son.
- Corrupt the Cutie
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Whenever Drew Pickles is forced to wait in a long line, he will quickly get bored and either do this, or rape every man in the line.
- Depending on the Writer: For some reason, Drew Pickles tends to be everyone's Author Avatar, and will like or dislike things depending on the video's maker. This leads to inconsistencies, like him being a fan of or hating Halo.
- Depraved Homosexual: Taken Up to Eleven.
- Double Standard: Rape, Male on Male
- Egopolis: Drewland
- Even Evil Has Standards: Although Drew Pickles calls himself "the true definition of a sick fuck", raping every man and bludgeoning every women he comes across, he is thoroughly disgusted by pedophiles. Just look at what he does to Dr. Lipschitz.
- Fantastic Racism: The term "Unestablished", usually going to characters who are not part of the original meme or who happen to never be used again. There are exceptions to the term such as The Creepy Autistic/Retarded Kid, Brad Garett, Huckleberry Hound and others
- Forced Meme: Maid Marian, who claimed she could rape anyone and in doing so turn them straight. Drew eventually got fed up with this and shot her.
- Gag Dub: Even though most are unfinished, they include Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie, Robin Hood, The Great Mouse Detective,' and the most recent, The Rescuers. YouTube user Bigboyrats specializes in these, making Barney Bunch-themed dubs of Rugrats episodes.
- Gambit Roulette: How Drew Pickles' plans of raping men and beating women to death with his penis typically work out.
- Gag Penis: Drew's mastodonic 300 mile long cock is probably the most triumphant example.
- Gretzky Has the Ball: From Drew's profile: "Drew was sent to Barney's Penis World to play the worldwide Boner Baseball Superbowl! He did successful in this superbowl, and he even performed in the halftime show by doing magic tricks with his dick."
- Heh Heh, You Said X: "Today I come, hahaha cum."
- Hero Antagonist: Tony Little and the Wishbone Resistance's (yes, the dog's) goal is to free Speakonia Land from the rule of Drew Pickles.
- As well as Straight Drew and Nega Drew, who are known for much more moral behavior.
- Het Is Ew: The Barney Bunch wants to turn all straight men gay.
- It Is Pronounced Tro PAY: Due to glitches in the text-to-speech software, Drew (and other characters with Microsoft voices) pronounces "dildo" and "dildos" as "dial-dough" and "dil-diss", among other things.
- Lampshade Hanging: Later videos have more self-aware humor.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: Nobody can even count every member of the Barney Bunch. The Hanna-Barbera Bunch seems to have an estimate of about 600 characters as well.
- Mega Crossover: Alongside the loads of characters, they've been from loads of series.
- No Fourth Wall: To the point where it's frequently lampshaded.
- Pet the Dog: Some videos will have Drew Pickles actually do something heroic (albeit disgusting), such as destroying The Hunger Games or, in one video, stopping the Columbine shootings by having a swell gay threesome with the two shooters.
- Running Gag: At some point in almost every "Drew Pickles Goes to..." video, the manager of the establishment steps out of his office and says something along the lines of "what the fuck is going on here?" Drew proceeds to rape the manager.
- Lampshaded in a few videos which take place at schools, churches or other places - a character will threaten to get the manager, after which Drew will rape said character and comment something along the lines of "There's no manager at a [school/church/hospital/library/etc.], you dumb little shit."
- Conversely, this is also such a standard part of the videos that sometimes places which don't normally have managers (see above) have them anyway, just to make the video match the normal pattern.
- Sitcom Arch-Nemesis: Drew Pickles plays this role in Pube Muppet videos.
- Stock Footage / GIS Syndrome: Characters are simply represented by promotional images of themselves. Both images of the characters and locations tend to be found via Google Image Search.
- Straw Misogynist: If Drew's hatred for women doesn't make him one, then what does?
- Synthetic Voice Actor: Everyone. The general consensus is that Drew Pickles is voiced by Microsoft Sam, Barney is voiced by Microsoft Mike, but other than that, it really depends on the video maker.
- To Be a Master: Drew Pickles gets angry when someone claims to be gayer than him. Recently, he's been competing with Yogi Bear to be the gayest thing ever. While Drew is gayer, Yogi is a sicker fuck. They'll have to team up to take down the even gayer Humongous Bunch, though.
- Toilet Humor: In addition to jokes about the characters' homosexuality, many Barney Bunch videos delve into this kind of humor.
- Too Kinky to Torture: Drew will shove anything, including explosives, whole human beings and other things which would be ridiculously painful, up his ass.
- Units Not to Scale: Drew Pickles' penis is supposedly 300 miles long. However, in some videos where it is visible, it appears to be much smaller.
- Villain Protagonist: Drew Pickles (after all, he does rape lots of men with little or no provocation).
- What Happened to the Mouse?: New Barney Bunch members are rarely seen outside their introductory videos. The Quaker Queer and The Painter avert this, however.