Must be Monday. New podcast! Just click on the fancy logo below.
"KHR Nuova RP
" is a friendly ( most of the time...
) roleplay on Fanfiction.net consisting mainly of new characters and families that are set apart from the series itself. The plot is considerably Darker and Edgier
than the series it is based upon, what with the aversion of all Bloodless Carnage
and a good number of characters Killed Off for Real
, while basically becoming a Deconstruction
of the Katekyo Hitman Reborn!
series in general.
- Accidental Pervert: Dante, quite often. Cosidered a Chivalrous Pervert at times as well.
- Action Girl: The entire important female cast is pretty much required to play this trope straight.
- A God Am I: Zaren, in an oddly heroic situation.
- Aloof Big Brother: Oh, Axel wishes... but it's tough, given that he's an Arcobaleno, only coming up to his sister's knee. Although, he pisses her off. A lot. (He is aloof and Bishounen without his curse, though. Hell, he uses bits of Snow Flames to give himself a Bishie Sparkle!)
- An Ice Person: Nathair.
- Animal Motifs
- Antihero: Sogno in comparison to Vongola.
- Artificial Limbs: Akira recieved a cybernetic arm after the grievous injuries given by Leo.
- Ax Crazy: Leonardo (by extension, Ernesto, too) and Macellaio. Occasionally Reaper and Saito as well
- Baleful Polymorph: It's implied Axel became an Arcobaleno against his will.
- Behind the Mask: Jasen hides a very depressed and often angry nature under his constant grin. Lea's personality hides under the fake nature everyone normally sees.
- Being Good Sucks: Being evil is no day at the beach either, though. Don't get into Mafia conflicts unless you want to lose something very dear to you. Most people who joined either didn't know what the hell they were getting themselves into or had already lost everything dear to them.
- Berserk Button: NEVER hurt someone who can't defend themselves in front of Akira. Hurting a friend or guardian will result in even more grievous injuries.
- Hell, the Dispetto bosses practically have Berserk MINEFIELDS. You never know what the hell will flip them off!
- Beware the Nice Ones: Pissing off Akira isn't the best idea, especially due to her destructiveness. Jasen is even worse... please don't disown the poor boy.
- Big Brother Instinct: Dante towards Akira.
- Big Brother Is Watching: Probably the reason for the City of Weirdos trope below.
- Big Damn Heroes: Alexi gets a big mention for his Heroic Sacrifice to save the current timeline. Aminore also gets one during the Dispetto battle. Ernesto is the one to jump in the way of one of Leonardo's killing techniques.
- Big Screwed-Up Family: All of the introduced ones in the story. But ESPECIALLY the Gaals.
- Bilingual Dialogue: Most of the characters are speaking Japanese. In some cases, it's also Italian, and the two nationalities tend to speak to each other in their respective languages.
- Bi the Way: Kaito. Isabella was more along the lines of a Depraved Bisexual before meeting Hanzo.
- Blade Below The Shoulder: Zira's weapon of choice. Akira can wield this as well, but prefers her bow. Less messy.
- The Blank: Macellaio has a featureless face and speaks through telepathy. Well, that's what you get for murdering thousands of civilians and wrecking a bunch of perfectly good Mafia families and then becoming immortal.
- Blood Knight: The usually kindhearted Hanzo is becoming one. This guy likes swordplay a bit too much...
- Blue and Orange Morality: The Gaals.
- Book Dumb: Played straight with Jasen. Inverted by Akira, being very cultured and mentally gifted, but her battle plans and common sense are lackluster.
- Break the Cutie: Many of the most likeable characters go through severe physical and emotional pain to make them either more evil or more good.
- Butt Monkey: Akira, in a rare female example. She grows out of it.
- Casting a Shadow: Reaper's main use of his Cloud Flames.
- Cerebus Syndrome: One week, everything's lighthearted and funny, and the heroes are nigh invunerable. The next? The comic relief were killed by the antagonists. Smiley face.
- Chaotic Neutral: The Gaals, basically.
- Chekhov's Gun: Dante's transformation skills and Black Rose Garden technique. Jasen's Box Weapon. Machiavel's creations always seem to get features that help out a lot later in the storyline.
- Chekhov's Gunman: ALEXI.
- The Chessmaster: Reaper, Alexi, and Akira in her more profound moments.
- City of Weirdos: Nobody in Namimori seems to ever notice the explosions, kidnappings, shootings, underground hideouts or any other Mafia activity. As it has been stated: "About thirty percent of people who live in Namimori have knowledge about the Mafia or are already a part of it."
- Combat Pragmatist: Dante.
- Cool Teacher: Hanzo has to be one hell of an awesome student teacher. Being the Storm guardian only makes him that much cooler.
- Cute Bruiser: Akira, Allegra, Koizumi, Isabella and Celia. Heck, we just named pretty much the whole main female cast.
- Cute But Psycho: AKIRA. In all likelihood, she's suffering from severe schizophrenia, among other things.
- Cute but Troubled: Ernesto. That guy has been through hell.
- The Dark Chick: Kaito.
- Darker and Edgier: Moreso than the original Katekyo Hitman Reborn!, anyway.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Reaper and Dante, while both beginning as rather nasty mafia members, end up on Sogno's side. And who could forget Macellaio?
- Deceased Parents Are The Best: MULTIPLE CHARACTERS. Reaper/Silvia, Hanzo, Zira, Zane, Zaid, Kaito, Celosia, Al, Macellaio, Umi, Claudandus, Dracu, Shuzi, Tatsujin, Ciaran, Pepamun, Sutai, Senna/Segna, Salazar and Arata. This isn't counting half-orphans, unknown parental locations, not sure if parents are dead, etc.
- Defeat Means Friendship: For Macellaio, showing that you're worthy of trust means friendship. For Dispetto, the trope is played straight. For Dante, defeat means becoming True Companions with your adversary.
- Dysfunction Junction: The Mafia leaves nobody unharmed... all of the major fighting characters have either been horrible people or had terrible things happen to them at one point. It can be agreed that 75% of the main cast probably has some form of PTSD, after what they've been through. Let's recap:
- Axel was a once-happy soul, but lost most of his cheer and optimism after becoming an Arcobaleno and is constantly paranoid about his beloved sister dying or getting into danger.
- Akira suffers from a number of mental disorders that constantly keep her on edge, has lost a limb very painfully, her parents have left her on her own and a bunch of her newfound friends have died because of her mistakes. And she accepted her position as Sogno Primo long ago. (Probably a Take That to Tsuna's reluctancy.)
- Hanzo lost his only living relatives, his grandparents, to S.I.N., and was tortured by Akira and Macellaio after learning about the Mafia.
- Jasen lost both his parents and then his beloved caretaker, being left with Sogno. His Rain Flames are weak and energy-draining, and to cap it all off he is the lowest of the low among Sogno.
- Dante, once a Master of Illusion renegade fighter and the resident Psycho for Hire, he now suffers terrible guilt from nearly killing Akira, who became his best friend soon afterwards. An Omake scene features him snapping fifteen years in the future and torturing and killing Akira quite messily.
- ALL OF DISPETTO. They go through torturous training at a disturbingly young age, giving each a very creepy and eccentric personality trait. (Ex- Ernesto isn't just The Stoic, he doesn't understand the point of words or emotions because his thoughts have become too complex to express through them, locking him inside his own mind. J becomes a regular The Stoic, but physically unable to express feelings, no matter how deep. Arthur, contrastingly, must express EVERY thought he has, whether he means it or not. As a result, he never stops talking or thinking, and thus never sleeps.)
- Ensemble Dark Horse: Dante and Reaper are well-liked throughout the roleplay. Ernesto, Hanzo and Jasen also have quite a few fans. And considering all the fanart of Celia, we can assume that she has fans.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Leonardo loves his family very much... subverted in that he's not EVIL per say... just a wee bit on the Ax Crazy side and has a whole keyboard of berserk buttons that are easy to accidentally press.
- Everyone Calls Him Barkeep: Reaper. His real name is Nero.
- Eye Scream: Poor Dante once stabbed himself in the eye to stop his illusionary abilities from causing a bodily meltdown. It's a wonder he isn't blind.
- Expy: Reaper is at least partially based on Sebastian of Black Butler, as we can safely assume.
- Face Heel Revolving Door: Nero/Reaper.
- Face Heel Turn: Macellaio and all of Dispetto.
- Family Unfriendly Death: Plucky Comic Relief characters Tyranno, Aunty and Al were burned to death. If only Akira was just a tiny bit faster...
- The Fettered: Akira often flip-flops on this during her inner struggle of To Be Lawful or Good.
- Fire-Forged Friends: Most of Sogno and their allies.
- Five-Man Band: More like five character types.
- Freudian Excuse: Dispetto leaders do not take the hurting or mistreating of their spouses lightly. And when a couple of drunk Vongola members accidentally killed Leo's wife... all hell broke loose.
- Generation Xerox: Deconstructed with the Dispetto bosses.
- Genre Savvy: Alexi. Plausible, considering he knows the future. Origin, on the other hand...
- Giant Space Flea from Nowhere: Ciro.
- Glamour Failure: Akira's bangs tend to cover her scarred eye, and she nearly always wears long sleeves and gloves to hide her metal arm. Though, people tend to find out if she is splashed with water, causing the arm to malfunction, or by her oddly cold touch. She tends to show her deep scar to intimidate foes and subordinates.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: Reaper. Under that hood, all you can usually see of his face are those green, shining, catlike eyes.
- Good Is Not Nice: Constantly played around with by Sogno.
- Gray and Black Morality: "There is no 'good' here. There's not even 'sane' or 'insane'. There's just 'neutral', 'evil' and everything in between."
- Gray Eyes: Akira's most outstanding trait besides her scars. Noticeable that she fits a serious, resolute, Determinator sort of personality and that she is the only gray-eyed character aside from the Dispetto bosses, where the color is nearly white and is also hereditary.
- Green Eyes: Reaper's and Silvia's are quite striking, being an intense, catlike shade.
- Grey and Gray Morality: In contrast to the characters' thoughts, all sides are usually justified in one sense or another.
- Heart Is an Awesome Power: Sun Flames get a lot of love here.
- Heroic BSOD: The death of Al and Tyranno made Akira Freak Out so bad that it caused the development of Akira's Split Personality.
- Holier Than Thou: Zaren has a god complex. Makes sense, since he DID rise to a higher plane of existence. And sadly, Akira constantly tries to defend her more questionable actions as being 'just'.
- Hurting Hero: Akira. This roleplay basically teaches that being a hero... generally will make your life hell.
- I Am Not Weasel: The Box Animals which have been gifted to speak hate being called just 'Box Weapon' and they especially hate being called by their species name. They would much rather be given a new name by the person who controls them.
- Icy Blue Eyes: Jasen's are rather striking. While easily mistaken for a soft, ocean color, he would rather imagine them as somewhat icy. If that clues you in to his personality.
- Improbable Age: Ah, another two teenage Mafia leaders... but this is, as with everything in Nuova, a Deconstruction.
- Jumped at the Call: Akira. But this side of her was soon put out after two friends were killed due to her hasty attitude.
- Katanas Are Just Better: Hanzo.
- Kid Hero: Akira... and some of the other younger characters, take Jasen for example.
- Knight Templar: Sogno as a whole has basically become this.
- Light 'em Up: Seems to be the base of Akira's strength, along with Soul Power and Playing with Fire.
- Lone Wolf: Sam, and maybe TYL Axel.
- Lotus-Eater Machine: Passion finds it quite entertaining to create illusions that fufill one's greatest, most heartfelt desire... and then tear it to pieces.
- Love Makes You Crazy / Love Makes You Evil: In Leonardo's case. Hopefully nothing bad will happen to Akira in the future, or Ernesto may turn out the same way as his father.
- Magikarp Power: Jasen's puny seahorse Box Weapon transforms into a giant serpentine creature when its owner is in grave danger.
- Making a Splash: Jasen. Combined with his snake-related symbolism, this sets him up as the unaccepted Zodiac sign Ophiuchus
- Meaningful Name: Well, Reaper.
- My Friends... and Zoidberg: Played purposefully with Jasen.
- My Greatest Failure: Akira's opinion of her not getting to S.I.N. in time to save Al and Tyranno.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: MACELLAIO. I doubt you want a run-in with anybody whose name means "The Butcher".
- Never Say "Die": Averted. Mentioning death and pain is basically Akira's Berserk Button.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: TYL Akira accidentally killed her previous student, Baisu, while trying to diffuse a bomb. Baisu would have died even if Akira hadn't broken her spine, though.
- The Nothing After Death: It's revealed that the afterlife is dark, cold, empty, desolate, and boring.
- CAN be.It has a certain karma system and special tests that decide the plane of existence you are upon.
- Not So Different: Reaper and Zaren, Akira and Locria.
- Omnicidal Maniac: Origin. Willing to wipe clean entire timelines with little to no regret.
- Our Ghosts Are Different: Are they ever.
- Pet the Dog: Ernesto deciding Akira isn't guilty and protecting her during the battle with Leonardo.
- After the battle, Leo calms down and acts rather kindly to Sogno's main team. He wasn't evil, someone had just dropped a 100-ton weight on his Berserk Button.
- Poisonous Friend: Dante, most certainly, to Akira. SSOU as a whole function for a similar purpose.
- Really 700 Years Old: Macellaio. And, in an inhuman form, Sogno. It was a mercenary gang that was put down by Macellaio and ressurected as a Mafia family over a hundred years later.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Dante, of course, when using the Six Paths..
- Reverse Mole: Dispetto's younger generation.
- Self-Made Orphan: Reaper.
- Shinigami: Reaper. Well, sort of...
- Shock and Awe: Allegra
- Shrinking Violet: A male example with Jasen. What Akira was like before Axel showed up.
- Single-Target Sexuality: The Dispetto bosses. Ernesto loves Akira, and ONLY Akira. No other women can get his attention.
- Slasher Smile: The evil side of Akira's Split Personality. Reaper and Zira occasionally sport one as well.
- Sliding Scale of Idealism Versus Cynicism: Nuova ends up everywhere along the scales, and it goes from ideal to cynical and then back to ideal all the time.
- Soul Power: Macellaio, Reaper and most recently, Akira.
- Stepford Smiler: Jasen, in spades. He has very violent, unpleasant and depressed thoughts, but he hides it due to his empathy for others.
- Inverted by Ernesto. He can feel happy, but doesn't understand the point of expressing emotion.
- The Stoic: All of Dispetto, mostly to hide their eccentric, troubled and Ax Crazy sides of their persona. Ernesto has been under The Masquerade for so long that he doesn't care about words or emotions much anymore.
- Stuff Blowing Up: Many flame users can create quick, explosion-like bursts. Akira, Macellaio, Hanzo and Axel have all been shown doing this. Earth flame user Leonardo likes using the even more deadly implosions, instead.
- Super Powered Evil Side: Akira developed a very violent Split Personality that uses Sky Flames far more effectively than she normally could. Nowadays, this snapped side is more under control by 'Good' Akira, but still tends to lash out under severe emotional pressure.
- Tastes Like Diabetes: Al. That adorable, Plucky Comic Relief Tagalong Kid and everything involving him.
- Trigger Happy: Axel and Ernesto.
- Uncanny Valley: Macellaio... does NOT look human.
- Vague Age: Zaren can change into a younger form, hiding the fact that he is growing rather old. Stacey is eternally a young girl. We THINK Macellaio's been alive since around the 18th century. Axel is an Arcobaleno, but his age seems to be in the 16-18 range if we guess correctly.
- Was Actually Friendly: Some of the antagonists are this, the primary example being Dispetto. They'e just a little... off...
- Weak, but Skilled: Jasen and Akira.
- Well Done Son Guy: Akira's parents stop interacting with her after they find out her Mafia position.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Akira has been noted to dislike killing and injuring others. For a pacifist, she has a rather worrying mental state, causing her to be callous and cruel to friends as well as enemies. Her judgement is... questionable at times.
- The Woobie: Hanzo, Jasen, Reaper, Akira, Axel, Ernesto... many, many characters have had terrible things happen to them.
- X Meets Y: Katekyo Hitman Reborn! meets Higurashi no Naku Koro ni meets Soul Eater meets the deconstructive style of Puella Magi Madoka Magica.
- Yank the Dog's Chain: Just when things finally start to get better, you can be sure that something terrible will happen.