open/close all folders
El Goonish Shive
Hammerspace with help from his assistant; he fails, but is nevertheless pleased with the result of the attempt.work. Sarah takes Grace shopping. On the way home, the two of them are confronted by a mugger, but Grace shapeshifts into a squirrel girl, scaring the mugger off.
- Why Grace was still so heavy after becoming smaller due to her transformation?
- Mass doesn't just disappear. It was her density that changed, so technically, it should be harder to carry her when she is smaller.
- Why didn't Sarah use her hammer on the mugger?
- The hammers are for purely comedic purposes; they can only be used against men who have said or done something offensive towards women, and the mugger in question didn't do anything sexist.
- Dear German scientist, what is your real name? And also, what is the name of your assistant?
- Dr. Germahn and Amanda, respectively.
Straw Feminist, about Elliot's behaviour, with Susan denigrating him and Sarah defending him. It is revealed that Susan was the one who taught Sarah how to use the hammers. Rat and Matt appear and do several things, like Breaking the Fourth Wall, when they talk with Tedd and Sarah. Tedd is called to the principal's office where he explains that he wasn't responsible for the goo coming to life. Nanase and Justin talk on their way to class and the possibility of Nanase being a lesbian was first mentioned. Also, Justin is revealed as gay to the readers, though there was Foreshadowing for it.transformed himself into a girl and can't turn back until he fixes the TF Gun and is worried as to how Grace would react. Elliot invites Sarah over to talk over their issues. After fixing the gun and turning back and Elliot not realising he turned back, Tedd got mad enough to shoot Elliot, turning him into a girl, specifically, the V5 variant that Tedd made. Elliot can't turn back since the TF Gun quickly malfunctioned. Sarah arrives and is shocked to see Elliot as a girl. Elliot decides to make arrangements so he could minimize the negative effects of suddenly turning into a girl until it wears of. We meet Elliot's parents, who are shown to be ridiculously accepting of things that would make other parents shocked, like say, Elliot turning into a girl.Shapeshifting abilities slightly, meaning now her mass changes with her forms. Greg decides to intervene thinking there was trouble due to the power fluctuations from Grace's Shapeshifting, meeting Grace for the first time. Grace receives a message from a Tedd from another dimension, which involves a warning.Ellen was also created. Ellen, worried that she will have less than a month to live, snaps, decides to be Elliot's Evil Twin and leaves to frame Elliot for her wrongdoings. She took the car, leaving Elliot and Tedd behind. Elliot and Tedd try to follow but the guard catches them. In a holding cell, Tedd and Elliot discover that Ellen will in fact not die in less than a month. The guard releases them, Elliot turns into a were-cat with Tedd's help and they start their journey home.Evil Twin thing, but the best she could do were Poke the Poodle acts. Elliot and Tedd managed to hitchhike a ride after Elliot gets tired, despite Elliot still being in were-cat form. This is because the driver was Hedge, one of Grace's brothers. Grace and Greg open up a message sent by Tedd, where they learn the situation concerning Ellen. Ellen gradually gets more and more frantic as her various attempts at being evil fails. Encountering Sarah causes her to panic, run, and break down crying. When Sarah catches up to Ellen, Ellen kisses her, then says goodbye.The Cavalry, Nanase. They met in freshman year on the trip to France. Grace and Greg arrive to help. Nanase and Justin quickly follow. Grace also reveals that The Goo is actually controlled by something called a Demon Nuclei and it was sent by a Tedd from another dimension, and he goes by Lord Tedd. During the fight, Nanase and Ellen get held captive. As The Goo is about to kill them, Grace stops it using her Psychic Powers, which Sarah realise is why Grace fainted when they were attacked by the mugger. While paralyzed by indecision as to which of her form is the best at using her Psychic Powers, Grace suddenly transformed into a form that combines all of them. This allows her to free Nanase and Ellen, allowing Ellen to deal the finishing blow.unreadable. Ellen is taken to the Elliot's parents, who to Mr. Verres shock, are accepting of Ellen and the circumstances that led to her creation. Ellen quickly adjusts to the Dunkel household.
New And Old Friends
Melissa, an ex-girlfriend of Justin, arrives hoping to get Justin to go out with her, despite him being gay. Nanase covers for Justin while he hides. Melissa leaves and Justin comes back out, complaining that Melissa has got to get over her obsession over him.involve him in a photoshoot, which Tedd shows Elliot.Fillers made for April Fools.Bully Hunter. Sarah reveals she draws comic strips in her spare time. Tedd reveals to the group that he has regular vision and his face is naturally feminine. He also shamelessly admits to Susan that he's a pervert, but removed the x-ray feature from the glasses as he didn't feel it was ok to use that. Susan reveals she's a natural blonde and that she dyes her hair. She also reveals that her full name is Tiffany Susan Pompoms. Susan also reveals that her parents divorced after her dad cheated on her mom. Tedd empathizes and reveals his parents are divorced too. Tedd says that last he heard, his mother is somewhere in Europe. Susan decides to offer a truce to Tedd, and later defends him when Tony pushed Tedd around.
masqueraded as each other, with Tedd in the Claire form, which Sarah and Elliot eventually pick up on. In an effort to not break the illusion, "Grace" tells "Tedd" something in Uryoumoco when Grace goes to the bathroom. Tedd eventually wonders where Grace could have learned the language. Grace encounters Tony the bully, but he is made unnerved by the fact "Tedd" wasn't wearing glasses. Hedge was there, spying on the group. After the movie, Sarah invites "Grace" to come with her to the ladies room. Tedd learns that he overly romanticised what the girls' bathroom is like. A short moment of maturity from "Grace" causes Sarah to doubt that it's Tedd, but the doubt quickly faded when Tedd mentions it smells like a zombie farted in the bathroom. After the date, Elliot arrived at his house, wondering where his friends are and his parents say Ellen and co are at another friend's house. This part ends in The Stinger of Nanase in fairy doll mode crying in Elliot's and Ellen's room.causing her to blush. When they go to rent a movie, they encounter Susan at the rental store, who we learn works there. Ellen invites Susan to watch movies with them. Susan agrees, under the condition that they watch it at her house, which the others agree to. Ellen swats Nanase's hair to cheer her up after noticing she's been a bit down, and it works. Nanase decided to acknowledge her attraction to Ellen and rationalizes that it's just the Variant-5 hormones. When the group can't decide on a movie, Susan suggests renting all of them and says they can all stay the night at her place.At her place, the group sees how big Susan's house is. Justin meets Susan's mom, who wasn't comfortable with him staying the night but allows him after Susan lies to her about Justing being gay. Susan quickly learns that Justin is in fact gay. Susan asks Ellen to come with her.In Susan's room, she asks Ellen to zap her into V5. Ellen does so and learns that Susan's natural hair colour is blonde. Susan explains her motives, which is to see what it was like to be attracted to females, but Ellen quickly points out that V5 enhances the original preference, meaning she should be more attracted to men. Susan quickly gets back to normal, but her hair remained blonde.Nanase decides she needs to talk to someone about her attraction to Ellen, and decides to choose Susan after eliminating Justin and Ellen as unsuitable. In Susan's room, Nanase reveals her attraction to Ellen and rationalizes that it was the V5 hormones, but Susan reveals that Tedd told her that the hormones disappear quickly and he suspects Ellen never had the special hormones. Panicked, Nanase uses the fairy doll spell to get to Elliot's and Ellen's room. There, Elliot is shocked to see her. Nanase talks about how she was unwilling to accept she was a lesbian and that she kept denying such feelings. She only accepted her feelings for Ellen when she could rationalize it in a way so that it was non-indicative of her actual preferences. But after Susan revealed to her that the excuse was non-existant, Nanase was forced to accept that she was gay. Elliot states that he doesn't know how to help but Nanase said he helped by listening. She returns to Susan's house and things are seemingly normal but it is revealed that when Nanase used her spell, Susan panicked and told Justin and Ellen that Nanase was a lesbian and they decide to keep this from her so Nanase can tell them on her own.
The Morning After
- What is the difference between Nanase and Ellen?
- Tedd expresses outrage that some people find it difficult to tell them apart. He points out that eyes and hair are different, at least in recent comics. Tedd also states that clothes will work, should all else fail. Cue Nanase and Ellen showing up in each other's clothing style.
- How is it that Dan can make comics five times a week? Where does he get the time?
- There are many time saving techniques one can use, including reusing images.
- Does Dan receives any fan mail? Does he answer them?
- Yes he receives on a regular basis. However, he hesitates and procrastinate when it comes to responding.
- Why the hell do you call your comic El Goonish Shive?
- Dan simply tossed El Goonish in front of his last name. Dan decided to justify the goon part by hiring a big goon to appear in just one panel.
Flashback to Damien's attack on the lab, remembering all the screams and blood, making her realise what might happen to her friends if Damien finds her. On Elliot's and Sarah's date, they are attacked by Hedge. They try to run but Hedge catches up to them. Elliot turns into a catman like the time after the diamond but goes unconscious doing so. Hedge takes him and easily defeats Sarah. As he leaves, he tells Sarah that he's taking Elliot to The Nest, telling her that if that's not enough information, then she doesn't know anyone who could save Elliot.without risking death. While guarding Elliot, Hedge talks to him and reveals that Damien only wants his sister to breed an army and he also confronts Elliot about the fact that he knows Grace, but Damien arrives and hits Hedge since he wants Guineas guarding "Cat". Damien also lets slip that there is another prisoner.
Shadows After Dark
note and Grace embraces it, making it seem far less dangerous and it disappears.This is Noah, who starts being featured in "Bringing Silly Back".) arrives at a gravestone to say that Damien is dead by someone else's hand despite him training for years to be the one to slay Damien. He hopes to pay proper tribute to the one who did it but he only knows that the one who did it is a seyunolu who is part squirrel and a woman of grace.Eureka Moment and runs of saying he has plenty to do. After that, Tedd explained why he teased Susan, thinking it was the basis for their friendship. Susan relented and explained why she didn't take the teasing well that day and Tedd decides to comfort, earning heartfelt awws from Elliot and Sarah who witnessed the scene, annoying Susan and Tedd.
Before The Party
Gender Bender involved. Justin is shocked and gets even more shocked when Nanase says she will go. Greg interrupts their conversation by drenching Elliot with water, expecting it to turn Elliot into a girl but an annoyed Elliot says he wills it to happen and Greg apologises. While drying of, Elliot convinces Justin to come by promising to let him play with the long hair of his female form when transformed. After the lesson finishes, Greg asks Elliot to ask Grace to join the dojo, saying that he could train her to subdue an opponent without causing them serious injury. He also asks Elliot to invite Ellen to join. Back with Tedd and Grace, Grace tells Tedd that she feels she doesn't deserve her powers because she didn't use her powers to stop Damien when he killed nearly everyone at the lab and when she did use her powers, she lost control. She states that she's going to hold of on using her powers until she feels better about herself.
Grace's Birthday Party
Harry Potter series. Nanase gets Grace a movie called The Secret Of Nimh. Justin and Susan shared the effort in getting Grace a Catnip plant. Elliot and Sarah got Animal Crossing for Grace. Tedd got Grace, high-quality nuts, an encyclopedia of animals in North America, chocolates and plush doll that represent her siblings animal forms, making Grace so happy she kissed Tedd.
The After Party
- What's up with Susan's "badass hair in the wind with no wind" effect and what causes it?
- Amanda speculates that it could be a result of Susan's unexplored magical abilities but admits it's more likely an artistic liberty by Dan to express mood or attitude.
- Back during "Shade Tail Part 1", there was a comic that claimed there was a secret in the last panel.
- The secret was draft designs of Ellen.
- When Grace describes her "masterly plan" to make Elliot a guy again in "Sister Part 4", there appears to be a hidden image behind the text.
- It was Ellen. This was a clue about her creation and subsequent despair.
- What did Ellen talk to Nanase about during "Painted Black Part VIII" while in Elliot's car?
- Ellen letting Nanase go to her house in fairy form.
- How does magic work in El Goonish Shive?
- Here are the basics. The most common form of magic is spiritual energy of the caster, which could be innate or obtained and/or enhance via training. Power alone isn't enough to cast spells. One must train in a specific fashion or have their power awakened by beings capable of such things. Spells will reflect the caster's person. The spirit can fuel special items that allow a caster to cast spells they wouldn't normally be able to cast, like wands.
- Why are the TF gun forms the way they are?
- Tedd's the one who made most of the forms. More specifically:
- Gender forms. The base forms, V1 don't change much besides the gender and the figure of the affected person is more dependant on their own biology. Hair length and height remains the same. V2 to V4 could be anything and V5 could be change should Tedd so choose. Any change to V1 affect V2 to V5.
- Animal forms. The forms on the TF gun are merely an approximation of whoever designs them. The forms Tedd designs tend to have humanlike faces because that's Tedd's preference. True hybrids, like Hedge, have more animal like faces.
- Clone forms. They completely change the target and everyone hit with it will look the same. They could be manually designed or automatically generated using scanned data. They don't transfer special abilities. V1 is the actual clone form and V2 to V5 are relative to V1.
- Tedd's the one who made most of the forms. More specifically:
- What is a buffer and why does Dan need one?
- It's the store of complete comics Dan has already made so as not to fall behind. When Dan is rushed to finish a comic on time, it takes a lot of fun out of it.
"The After Party". This is not acknowleged in Dan's index.)Back at present time, Elliot and Ellen discuss Ellen's relationship with Nanase. Elliot points out that Nanase might not be ready to be open about their relationship, or even be in the relationship, upsetting Ellen. Ellen is going to discuss this when Nanase comes later. At the comic book store, Nanase tells Justin that she's upset that Justin kept that he already knew she was a lesbian a secret from her but understands that there probably wasn't a right way to handle the situation. Nanase tells Sarah that she's got new spells as a result of using a lot of magic lately that happen to be good for sneaking around. At Tedd's house, Elliot and Tedd discuss Ellen's school arrangements and related cover stories. Grace tells Elliot that when Susan transformed back, her hair was mostly blonde with the ends dyed. At Susan's house, she's enjoying the style until she sees her dad's mistress with her face, immediately prompting her to fully dye her hair again. At Nanase's house, Mrs. Kitsune is shown to be an Education Mama. At dinner, when Nanase protests her mother's desire for good grades when she only wants Nanase to be a homemaker, Mrs. Kitsune decides she's not getting any cookies that night but Akiko, Nanase's little sister snuck some for Nanase. Nanase uses her fairy doll spell to go to Ellen's house. Ellen aks Nanase if they were in a relationship. Nanase says it's complicated. She wants to be with her but she doesn't want it to get back to her family. Ellen understands and gets glomped by Nanase.Evil Laugh. Principal Washington tells Ellen and Grace that he's seen crazier behaviour from Mr. Raven. Ellen and Grace go to return to class but Ellen sneezes and accidentally hits herself with her beam and they go to the bathroom to take cover. Ellen quickly restores herself to normal. Magus, who was watching believes that manipulating Ellen's emotions to get pepper to make her sneeze could be the opprtunity he was waiting for but quickly realises how desperate that plan is. Ellen and Grace arrive back in class and their classmates are supportive of Grace.
calls the other students out for mocking Susan when she was the only one trying to do something about the uniforms, for which most of them apologised, with at least one former member of the Feminist club returning. At Moperville South, Nanase shows Ellen her clothes switch spell and summon decoy spell. Elliot struggles with his transformations, trying to resist it and failed, turning into a Grace Ellen hybrid from, attracting attention at the fact that he was now a girl wearing the boy's uniform. Elliot flees to the auditorium where he accidentally provoked the tracking summon.Pandora Chaos Raven, before abandoning Magus.promote Mr. Verres to a position created just for him. Carol interviews Rhoda because she had nothing else to report and while on live camera, Pandora appears behind them, floating and giving a creepy laugh before disappearing.
Q&A # 4
- Does Amanda know Lisa has a crush on her?
- How exactly are Tedd Verres and Nanase Kitsune related?
- Tedd's mother is Nanase's mother's sister.
- When does the comic take place? Is there an exact date?
- Yes, here it is. The link is also at the top of this page.
- Why did Mr. Verres and his agents have wands?
- It was the most convenient way to make sure there is a standardized spell selection for everyone, given how one acquires new spells.
- Are strange hair colours natural in the EGS universe? Strange is defined as stuff like blue or purple.
- What were those inner demons of Elliot's mentioned way back in the day?
- Elliot was just making things up for the sake of putting on a show.
- What happens if you hit someone with the Female Variant #5 form? Will it further change someone's figure?
- No. If hit with Ellen's beam, the person will revert to normal. If hit with the TF gun, nothing will happen.
- Eating and its effects on those who change sizes?
- If you eat something after shrinking, it won't grow when you grow back. If you eat too much after growing, you give a loud burp as you shrink back, so you don't explode from over consumption.
- Growing in tight spaces?
- Most methods that increase size gives a protective force field which makes sure whatever a person is in gives way before the person.
- Endurance and shrunken individuals?
- Shrunken individual have disproportionately more endurance. Anything that happens to a normal size person, a shrunken person will feel less of.
- Why does V5 stack on Ellen when she's already in V5 from?
- It doesn't. Ellen may be based on V5 as applied to Elliot, but she's not actually transformed. V5 will transform her as any other person.
- Why wasn't there a barrier trapping Nanase in the bathroom when Raven set up his barriers?
- The spell had limits in both energy constraints and setting up what to cover and what not to cover. It automatically sealed doors while the ones in the hallways were manually set up. Nanase could get out of the bathroom because it was the sort where instead of a door, its entrance was a corridor where you turn into a corner to enter.
- Will Greg and/or the dojo be in the story again?
- Will the "Child Left Behind" figure be revealed?
- Will Lord Tedd be focused on anytime soon?
- No. He was introduced too early before Dan knew any better.
- Will any upcoming stories involve Noah?
Bringing Silly Back
Friends with Benefits since she's openly in love with someone else. They decide to hang out again sometime. At the Dunkel residence, Elliot tells Ellen what happened. With Noah, he tells Raven what happened.calls him out on snapping at Elliot when he tried to be reasonable. She demanded that Justin apologise to Elliot and at least find out what Noah wants and Justin agrees. After Ellen left, Noah arrived and tried to talk to Justin but he got distracted by a mysterious shadow figure and he tried to chase it. After Noah left, Justin called Elliot and apologised for his behaviour. At Justin's workplace, George confronts Justin and Justin denied everything. He corrected George when he mistakenly called Elliot Justin's boyfriend, which surprised George and he decided to quickly leave the situation. Noah meets up with Raven and told him about the shadow creature. Raven asked Noah whether he asked Justin what he needed to ask yet, to which Niah said no. Noah decided to ask Justin at his workplace. Justin has Flashbacks of his relationship with Melissa and their falling out when Justin was outed. At first he was angry but he calms down upon realising holding on to his anger can lead to bad things.Internal Monologue, he thinks that what happened isn't convoluted by his mother's standards, realising that there must be something they're missing. It turns out that Pandora managed to give Justin a magic mark unbeknownst to all.
Q&A # 5
- Does the shape of the magic marks matter?
- No. What matters is the surface area it covers. If it is appropriately shaped, it is only because the bestower made it like that.
- Does the location of the magic marks matter?
- No, but it is advisable for it to be hidden.
- What is Male Variant #5?
- Tedd said nothing as he created nothing for it but Grace reminds him that during the party, they made male variants for the girls and MV 5 is Sarah's male form.
- If Raven is an elf, why does he have black hair?
- Elves vary from story to story. In El Goonish Shive, elves are simply the hybrid offspring of Immortals and humans.
- What is the deal with Elliot's inner demons?
- Nothing, Elliot just made that up for the sake of putting on a show.
- Is Noah related to Raven?
- Is time travel possible in EGS and if not, why not?
- No because otherwise, the protagonists could hit the undo button and not deal with the consequences of their choices and actions.
- Is there anything magic definitely can't do?
- Aside from time travel, no. All that could really be determined is the limits of a given magic user at a given time. Where love is concerned, it can't be claimed with certainty that love is impossible but it has not been known to work in a "true love" sense. It is possible to make oneself abnormally attractive but anything beyond is evil Mind Control. While we can't say everything is possible, we can't say what isn't possible either.
- Do any of the winged characters actually use their wings to fly?
- Possibly. At the very least the wings contribute but they can't be the only reason why the characters managed to fly.
- Whatever happened with EGS:NP?
- It's on indefinite hiatus.
- Are Justin's illusory powers canon?
- Yes, Greg, Elliot, Ellen, Justin and Nanase all have limited illusory powers which they mostly use to make themselves look more awesome, which means the glowing part when they punched or kicked was entirely pointless but included because it was cooler that way.
- Usually, when a straight person changes sex, they become bisexual relative to their new form but is it different for Elliot's secret identity forms?
- Possibly. The mild-mannered form at least is more into men that Elliot would normally be, female or not female. The goth form is currently ambiguous. The party animal form probably isn't a lesbian but may act like she is.
- How does Susan know she's not a lesbian?
- We're not sure if she even has a sex drive.
- Where do those charts that occasionally show up come from?
- Similar to the badass hair in the wind with no wind effect, hair fairies might be possible.
- Why was it considered a big deal Vladia doesn't have her antennae when Grace can morph hers away just fine?
- Grace wasn't always able to morph away her antennae and the reason why she can now doesn't apply to Vladia. It takes a clone form to get rid of the antennas. Grace being part lespuko, can mix and match forms. She had the potential to morph away her antennas when she gained the Claire form. Vladia may be a greater chimera but she's not part lespuko. She could gain new forms but she can't mix and match like Grace. It is also worth noting that greater chimeras have imperfect shape shifting abilities that are corrected when transformed at least once by a Cosmetic Morphing Device like the TF gun, explaining why Grace morphs differently now than she did in the beginning.
- What if someone with tattoos or piercings transforms?
- The tattoo doesn't change and depending on the new form, may or may not look as good transformed but should return to normal when the person returns to normal. Piercings go under the skin and are thus affected by the transformation process, so no complications can result from that.
interrupted by Elliot asking if the video rental store she works at is hiring.Susan decides to invite Elliot to watch movies with her, which he accepted.Star Wars movies. After discovering Tedd doesn't have the unedited versions, he duels Mr. Tensaided to a card game for the right to borrow his copies. Justin won but took Mr. Tensaided's advice to show the movies in the machete order for Grace.Elliot is at Susan's house watching movies with her. Also meanwhile, Ellen and Nanase spontaneaously decide to help solve crime when there is a thief at the mall.Star Trek.Time Skip, going six months.
quickly says is for the review show. Justin is however suspicious. Susan's birthday is brought up and it turns out to be the same as New Years Day, specifically, 10 minutes after midnight. Since Tedd is already hosting a New Years Eve party, which all except Ellen and Nanase who are going to a party with college students are attentind, Elliot decides to get a cake for Susan for when it becomes the new year, which Tedd approves. Tedd mentions Nanase is still burnt out, despite it being so long and Nanase still producing magic energy. He hypothesis that it is so Nanase's magic energy reserves are expanded, so she could do more spells without burning out. Tedd also mentions that his dad never even heard of the whale and Tedd himself is unsure if that actually happened but his dad managed to confirm there is excess magic energy.Meanwhile, Ellen and Grace are training with Greg. It turns out all of Ellen's combat spells that isn't the transformation beam have cool down times and Grace's flying powers is her using her psychic powers. Grace says it's easier to levitate herself than others but it's tricky when she moves a lot, hence practicing. Meanwhile, Sarah and Nanase are eating out together. Sarah tells Nanase she wants to break up with Elliot because of several issues she has with the relationship and Elliot that adds up. Sarah mentions how Elliot hangs out with Susan more than her to make their review show and jokingly states she might give Susan to Elliot and Nanase said her doing that led to this situation in the first place, shocking Sarah. She demands Nanase's honest opinion on Elliot and Nanase states that he means well, but avoids making choices and probably isn't ready for a relationship. Sarah mentions delaying the breakup as she doesn't want to ruin Elliot's holidays, which makes Nanase glad she's going to the college party. It turns out Diane heard the entire conversation and decides that Elliot might be perfect for her because of his passiveness.That night at the Dunkel household, Elliot and Ellen talk. It turns out Ellen got past her energy buildup when she went out of town on one of her mystery solving acts while Elliot has gotten used to his buildup and the female forms. It turns out they both got roped in to watching Christmas specials with Grace the next day, but Susan isn't going. Elliot mentions that it makes him feel like he is cheating on Susan which prompts Ellen to ask him to be introspective on how he feels. While dreaming, he feels like during his bully hunting acts, he feels like he only did it for the fight itself than saving people but then Susan showed up and she allayed his concerns and that he did it because he did want to save people. Dream Susan gets closer to Elliot and it is implied an Erotic Dream occured. The next morning, Ellen tells Elliot to think whether the dream meant anything or if it was just hormones. She says Elliot owes it to everyone to find out how he really feel regarding Susan and Sarah, especially since he didn't want to date Sarah in the first place. Elliot protest but Ellen counters that yes she's a good friend and he didn't want to jeopardize their lifelong frienship by going out with her but then Sarah said "love" and suddenly it was true love which Elliot insists it was. Ellen says perhaps but mentions how quickly she got over not being with Sarah but quickly stops since it was after her creation and if it does apply to Elliot, he has to realise it for himself. Elliot showers, thinking Ellen was being ridiculous and that he couldn't be faulted for having an Erotic Dream about Susan who was beautiful, strong, fun and introduces him to cool new things, which is when Elliot realises he does have feelings for Susan.looks a lot like her but Diane denies significant similarity. Rhoda tells Diane that she knows from Catalina that Elliot is a decent guy and that he goes to Moperville North instead of South. Diane mentions her idea of Mr. Right is someone who is rich, handsome and does everything she tells him to do and believes Elliot to be close to that. When Rhoda brought the possibility of simply falling in love, Diane thought Rhoda was being adorable. The next few hours, Diane spent her time really enjoying the review show.The next day, Elliot is at Tedd's house playing video games with Tedd when he asks Tedd what love means to him, what the relationship between him and Grace means to him. Tedd states that at the beginning, both him and Grace probably had simple crushes based on Tedd being a boy Grace doesn't have a sibling attachment with her age and Grace simply being a female in his house but eventually, it evolved into real, genuine love. Tedd realises Elliot is thinking about breaking up with Sarah. Elliot says that he has feelings for someone else and exasperatedly says he thinks of Sarah as a sister, shocking Elliot, and he realises that this is why Ellen got over Sarah quickly. Elliot decides he has to break up with Sarah as soon as possible. Back at his house, he calls Sarah over and she realises what he's trying to do. At first she's happy since they both want this but the her insecurities kick in coming up with a lot of negative scenarios. She arrives at Elliot's house and there, Elliot says they have to break up because he thinks of her as a sister, surprising Sarah who tries to argue against that but realises how Elliot came to feel like that though she herself doesn't feel the same way. She also admits she wanted to break up too, and that's that, they are no longer an Official Couple.At work, Susan is dealing with a fan of the review show who ships her and Elliot, stating that Elliot has a girlfriend but Sarah arrived asking to hang out with Susan later since she and Elliot broke up, making the fan happy. Elliot and Ellen talk, with Elliot stating he needs to know that his feelings for Susan are genuine before even thinking about acting on it by seeing how he feels about different girls. That night, Diane is still watching the review show, with her declaring Elliot will be hers.nickname. He tries to give his real name but keeps getting interrupted. Nanase realised Diane is gone and deduces sheís still trying to get help. Tengu explains that heís the one behind the events at the party. He also says that Noriko maimed him and freed his mind-controlled congregation and now heís trying to form a new one. Nanase realises that he was attracted to the excess magic energy in Moperville. Nanase regains her magic powers and goes into the Guardian from, which simply causes Tengu to laugh, since he doesnít know what other spells Nanase got and can counter what a single Guardian can do. Ellen then uses her copy spell on Nanase and to everyoneís shock, she gains a Guardian form too. They discover that the two Guardians can communicate telepathically and Ellen learns the Guardiam form has some sort of Aura Vision. The two girls come with a plan to get Tengu to use up all his magic energy and the surrounding energy to tire him. They fly up and Tengu follows them. During the chase, Tengu lets slip that Noriko has more than one child but the girls canít hear him properly. Tengu eventually burns up all his magic energy reserves and he crash lands. He sees Grace in one of her forms before he passes out. Elliot in his Cheerleadra form is also there. Nanase and Ellen arrive back down. They burn out and return to normal.Diane and Charlotte arrive at the scene. Diane is shock to see Tengu return to human form but Ellen and Nanase already knew because of the Guardian formís instincts. Nanase tells Diane that what Tengu did to the partygoers should be reversing as they speak as Tengu canít maintain the enchantments now. Elliot is shocked to see the resemblance between Diane and Susan. Mr. Verres, Wolf and Cranium arrive. Cranium identifies Tengu as a wanted cult leader shocking Wolf who lets slip that the guy was powerful and was defeated by an even more powerful magic user who comes from an entire family of powerful magic users and monster hunters. Nanase tries to protest not telling the affected partygoers what happened but Mr. Verres tells her that sometimes withholding information is for the better. When she asks about Noriko, Mr. Verres says it might cause Tedd to relapse to his excessively shy state when he was younger. Diane then convinces Nanase to go along with keeping secrets since she doesnít want Rhea to be unhappy. After the events of the night, santa-hat guy monologues to himself, confirming he is the reincarnation of Jerry and also confirming Diane and Susan are sisters. After the party, Nanase lies to her mother, telling her it was uneventful. The next day, Nanase and Ellen discuss what to do with their newfound knowledge. Nanase decides against confronting her mother and Mr. Verres for now. They also decide against going to Susan with the possibility that sheís adopted and that Diane might be her sister for now.
- Why did Agent Cranium use magic to turn Ellenís hair back to normal but didnít for Nanase?
- Because the enchantments were temporary. When Nanase was originally burnt out, it was expected to last a while and keeping the enchanment going wasnít practical. For Ellen, the burnt out period was much shorter due to more ideal cirumstances and only had to keep up appearances for the party.
- What would happen if Ellen used her copy spell on Nanaseís fairy doll?
- Itís complicated. Ellen canít copy inanimate objects, so she canít copy it when Nanase is not using it. She apparently canít copy summons, so she can't copy newly formed fairy dolls. However, there is still the possibility of copying an already formed doll Nanase is occupying.
- Why would a smaller spell catalyst require more energy to use?
- Because larger spell catalysts can store more energy, so the user needs less of their own energy. The problem with Teddís watches is that they have no battery, so to speak. In addition, the energy storing capacity of a spell catalyst is also influenced by what materials itís made of and its quality.
- When Grace reduced her measurements, was she cancelling the enchantment?
- No, she wasnít enchanted in the first place. Uryuom magic and Ellenís beam donít enchant Uryuoms and Uryuom hybrids. It transforms them and lets them reuse the transformation but they arenít enchanted. Uryuom enchantments replace each other so when used on a human, they donít stack up. When used on Uryuoms or Uryuom hybrids, itís possible to stack transformations. Results vary depending on many factors.
- What would happen if Grace and Elijah met and agreed something was adorable?
- Loud squeeing will ensue.
- If Elliot were zapped by Ellen or the TF gun, could he just transform back? Would he still be transformed by the zapping if he ended his own spell?
- No. While he can change into something similar to a V5 transformation. Itís not the same as being hit with a TF gun or Ellenís beam. His forms are not replaced or cancelled by TF gun beams. Ellenís beams however are like the TF gun because the Dewitchery Diamond gave her the power to mimic the delivery method of the transformation. Elliot can reassume the V5 form but that doesnít mimic Uryuom magic.
- What does Susan think of the J. J. Abrams Star Trek movies?
- She doesnít like them.
- How much control does Grace have over individual parts of her body?
- With help from the TF gun, she could assume most changes and mix them with no known limit. At this point, she could approximate most young adult human forms, in theory anyway.
- Was not-Tengu an aberration?
- Whatís the deal with aberrations?
- They are parasitic monsters who used to be human. They are by choice, the worst of the worst. Immortals, who prefer being vague and indirect when guiding and empowering people, are far more willing to take more direct ways of destroying them. They vary in form, abilities and method of being parasitic but all show the following common features:
- Used to be human and chose to become aberrations.
- Parasitic existence feeding on humans to increase lifespan.
- Monstrous form, either all the time or only when using their powers.
- A complete lack of empathy for other living things.
- No known way to return to a regular human being.
- Difficult to harm with physical attacks but weak against magic weapons.
- They are parasitic monsters who used to be human. They are by choice, the worst of the worst. Immortals, who prefer being vague and indirect when guiding and empowering people, are far more willing to take more direct ways of destroying them. They vary in form, abilities and method of being parasitic but all show the following common features:
- What does Justin think of the J. J. Abrams Star Trek movies?
- He likes them.
- Will there ever be shrinking in the main story to smaller than the current limits of the TF Gun?
- Can the TF Gun turn people into things other than mammals?
- It doesn't make one cold blooded or give hollow bird bones but it can give scales or feathers.
- Can the TF Gun turn people inanimate?
- How did Amanda's date with Raven from the last q&a went?
- It went well and there was dancing.
The Masquerade.Meanwhile, Grace is having a "Not Wearing Pants" Dream but a helpful outsider comes to her aid (the fandom refers to this character, who hasn't been named yet, as Disco Wizard). He then proceeds to try and give his message, this being his third attempt to do so, even though Grace doesnít remember the first two. He explains that he is there as an emissary on behalf of Magic itself. The emissary states that Mr. Verres is right that magic wonít enter common usage but not for the reasons he thinks. It is because Magic itself doesnít want that. The current system allows flexibility in what power is granted to which person by making it so nearly anyone can access it but Magic has no intention of going mainstream. If needed, Magic will change the very system by which it operates by. The emissary states that there are some constants in magic. Species such as Uryuoms that have magic interwoven into their very nature wonít suddenly find themselves unable to shapeshift but things can change for humans. While there will always be people born with natural talent for magic and for those without that talent to use magic, how it can be gained beyond heredity, the specifics of how spells work and how difficult it all is can change and has in fact changed many times before. The emissary gets the idea of forming associations within the brain so as to make sure Grace actually remembers all this information this time, to which Grace agrees. Grace then wakes up and writes down ďMale Sarah, Nanase in a robe, fox Rhoda, that she was probably naked, and they might have been in a spaĒ.losing to Tedd easily. Luke is paired with the other of "those two guys," Rich, who immediately insults a choice Luke made as "gay." Luke responds by slowly but surely beating Rich in the game. Sarah is paired against George, who gives her advice between games. After Tedd wins against Larry, Grace reveals Larry's heterosexuality and assumption that Tedd is a woman. Tedd isn't quite sure how to deal with this situation, but jokes with Grace as Pandora leans on his shoulder.Larry and Rich discuss Larry's interactions with a not interested Tedd before realizing that Larry never asked for Tedd's name. Before they can check the Round 1 listings, Round 2 begins. Luke sits the round out, and ends up bonding with Justin about Star Wars (after brief internal Gayngst over a homophobic comic shop that he used to visit). Grace immediately becomes a Shipper on Deck. Tedd wins the round against someone named Sam, who assumes Tedd might be transgender and suggests the name "Tess" just in case. When Tedd talks to Grace about this afterwards, she explains the assumption. Tedd is initially confused about how this applies to day-to-day life, until Grace explains the existence of genderfluidity.Cue Tedd's realization that they are genderfluid, and Grace's unconditional acceptance of Tedd.Sarah wins the round against Tensaided, who declares her One of Us. When discussing her results with Justin, she notices Justin and Luke's matching Crush Blush. Sarah learns of the generics on Tedd's personal discovery, while Tedd thinks that they've never wanted to be a girl in a cute outfit more in their entire life. Sarah and Grace discuss Justin and Luke's obvious attraction to each other. Cut to Justin and Luke being approached by George, who appears somewhat jealous. Luke doesn't quite understand, and tries to use his Aura Vision to see if George has powers.Unfortunately for Luke, he is also looking at Tedd when he tries this, and nearly goes blind as a result. Pandora comments that she warned Luke not to use the spell on her "grand-godson," but that it wasn't as if he could hear her.Round 3 begins. Larry and Rich, who had previously assumed Tedd's name to be Sam, discover the truth and are horrified. Larry tries to find ways that Tedd could be short for a girl's name, while Rich is skeptical. When Rich faces off against Tedd, Tedd's hair is suddenly purple. Tedd is now a girl, due to Pandora marking their back. Larry faces off against Sarah, who immediately shoots him down when he flirts with her. Grace encourages Justin to ask Luke out, causing Justin to put on his earring as a "gay signal." Larry is reluctant to win against Sarah, but doesn't understand why she doesn't want him hitting on her. When she asks if Larry would like a guy hitting on him, he assumes that she is a lesbian, and uses the word as an insult even after she states that she is a 2 on the Kinsey scale (at most). Frustrated, Sarah vows to end Larry.Grace sees Dex, and her aura vision activates. She remembers her dreams and the fact that Dex, Justin, Rhoda, and Catalina have magic marks.Tedd and Sarah wipe the floor with Rich and Larry respectively. Tedd and Justin try and fail to get the other to notice their appearance changes. Tedd approaches Grace, who immediately notices Tedd's hair change (and subsequently the girl morph). The two head into the bathroom to check for a magic mark, which Grace finds on Tedd's scalp. Tedd is able to become more feminine at will, but sends Grace away before focusing on themselves while changing into a boy form. In the process, Tedd discovers exactly how the ability changes their default form and that they have a special ability to see magic and enchantments.After Larry loses and continues insulting Sarah by calling her a "fake geek lesbian," Tensaided confronts him and tells him that flirting with other players is against the rules of the tournament.Tedd catches Grace and then Sarah up on the magic mark and Tedd's special abilities. George wanders by during this debate, and comments on Tedd's hair change. Larry starts to realize that the pick-up methods he learned online are terrible, while Rich soldiers on. After Luke wins his match, he keeps thinking about and failing to express his attraction to Justin (or the presence Justin's magic mark), while Justin is unable to get Luke to notice his earring. Justin realizes it would be inappropriate to hit on Luke during the tournament, which is a convenient excuse for him to put of something scary.While Luke surveys the crowd to see if anyone else there is marked, Tedd notices him and realizes that Luke can see magic auras. Grace and Sarah insist that this doesn't mean something bad (partially because they want Justin and Luke to be a couple), with Sarah declaring herself "Team Luke." Luke, having checked everyone but Sarah and Tedd, is scared that Tedd is friends with Grace and then terrified when he realizes that the two are dating. Rich and Larry see Tedd and Grace kiss, realizing that Tedd's hair color and sex have both changed during the tournament. Their response is "TEDD IS A SEX CHANGING SPACE ALIEN HERE TO STUDY HUMAN SEXUALITY!" (from Rich) and "AND I STILL HAVE A SHOT WITH HIM!"(from Larry). Luke overhears this and assumes that Grace and Tedd are scary aliens.calling things "gay" while not being homophobic. During this conversation, Luke overhears that Justin is gay. Sarah and Sam grew close enough during their game that Sarah asks Sam to "do something next Friday." Justin gets the chance to talk to Grace and decides to have a one-on-one meeting with Luke after the tournament ends.The final ranking of the tournament ends up with Sarah in fourth, Tedd and Luke tied for third, George in second, and Some Guy as the grand prize winner.Larry, trying to be a better person, tries to be gracious when Sarah reveals that she's going on a probably-date with Sam in the future. Sam angsts about being trans as he takes off his beard. Grace signals Tedd and Grace to let them know that they need to leave for Justin's sake. Justin tells Luke that he knows Luke's reasons for being there, and they flirt as Justin promises that they'll talk in a few minutes. George grumps about this as he leaves, making Sarah realize that George has a crush on Justin (of the Triang Relations Type 4 variety). Grace glares at Luke as she, Tedd, and Sarah leave for food.Luke tells Justin that he probably has a mark, in response to which Justin takes off his shirt. Justin's mark is missing, since Pandora awakened him at some point before this moment. Justin tells Luke about immortals, and correctly intuits that Luke is in contact with at least two other people with magic marks. Justin asks Luke on a date, which Luke accepts. Tedd tells Grace to check with Justin, Catalina, and Rhoda before telling Tedd's dad anything, while Tedd doesn't want to tell their dad anything about their mark. Tedd and Justin catch each other up on the information they've gathered that night, and Justin reveals his date. Luke's phone conversation with the group reveals that the main reason they were willing to approach him was his association with Cheerleadra. Grace talks to Justin about her dreams, making Pandora suspicious of whoever is contacting her.The next day, Sarah gets ready to take a shower and finds a magic mark in the shape of a question mark on her back.Cut to Nanase. Ellen sends a text warning Elliot about the cloaked figure and asking Elliot to text her if he spots it.Ashley and Elliot start talking to get to know each other better. Ashley enjoys books, plays ballet and dances soccer. Wait. Reverse that. Elliot doesn't really know what he wants to be when he graduates. Ashley dated a girl online once. Elliot asks if She's bisexual, and she says that while she's attracted to males and females, she doesn't like to be labeled (especially given some of the prejudices she's faced in the past).Back to the mystery team, Ellen suggests that there isn't a single cloaked figure, but two—one that runs and hides, and one that is searching for someone. Using that suggestion, the girls try narrowing down the sightings to see if they can find a pattern.At the dare, Elliot suggests they go to the bookstore, and Ashley doesn't think this is a good idea (she tends to get lost in books). She makes a hasty suggestion that turns out to be a lingerie store. Elliot mistakes this as her covering up some sort of magical ability involving books, inadvertently tipping Ashley off to how common magic is. Ashley has questions, and Elliot has to figure out how much he can tell her. He then wonders if something weird will happen to render his musing moot.Back to the mystery team, They've discovered a pattern—one of the cloaked figures meanders about the state, but one of them has only been seen in Moperville.Then we cut to a rooftop, where we see the cloaked figure again. A glowing figure appears and asks if the cloaked figure has found "her" yet. The figure then asks is he's found "the other one" yet. He offers the cloaked figure a riddle to find this other person.
- People are Sleeping (no magic), Dreaming (limited spells, can't get magic on their own), and Awakened (will naturally get personalized spells as long as they keep using magic). People with a Magic Mark are Dreaming. If they Awaken, the mark goes away. If someone awakens thanks to an external source (that isn't an Immortal), they experience power build-ups that force them to use magic. Wizards are specifically those who can learn other people's spells. Tedd is something unnamed, and can see magic and resist it.
- Diane has been fleshed out over time thanks to Character Development and spending more time seeing things from her point of view. She is also deliberately seeking a change.
- No. Colors require more than just contrast—they need to look good together.
- Dan's gender identity is "non-committal shrug." He prefers he/him unless specifically referring to his female avatar, because it raises fewer questions from people he has no interest in talking to.
- Between 30 and 300 feet, depending on the power used. TF gun defaults to 60. TF beams will bounce off mirrors but not less reflective surfaces because magic.
- In general, it is the most common sort of magic.
- TF gun: no. Grace: Grave has an accelerated healing factor, but serious injuries would still require medical treatment. How much faster? "Intentionally vague" faster.
- Yes. Including transformation stuff was a risk, but was intentional.
- Short answer: greater seyunolus in general are more predisposed to polyamorous relationships, but that does not mean Grace, herself, is.
- Oh. Uh...Out of panels, bye!
- Then there is a clarification on what polyamory is which doesn't actually answer the OTT question.
- Yes. But it would be much harder for her than normal because of her inherent uryonum abilities conflicting with the magical energy available to most people.
- Harry Potter and The Dresden Files, and that's it. For the love of god, suggest some book series.
- Because it's literally only been 1 day since it happened in comic time. The series is on a sloooow build, and planning things better is part of why the Q&A is going on so long.
- Magic Comic Shop (mostly), Not A Date At The Mall, Question Mark, Playing With Dolls, MV 5, and Zombie Plans note
- Unclear. He has more abilities than someone who is only Dreaming is likely to have, but it could all be because his martial arts style counts as a single power. And you can't just throw a spellbook at Greg to figure out which.
- Spellbooks are linked to a single Awakened individual and automatically record new spells when ever an Awakened character gets one. Immortals, Wizards, and people with wands can make them. A spellbook not linked to someone is a blank book. The book disguises itself with a fake, mundane title. They aren't necessarily good disguises.
- What muffin man? Like a guy who makes muffins? A muffin golem like a Stay-Puft Muffin Man? Joke question because the next arc is starting.
Sister III - Catspaws
Start of Darkness. We are introduced to a young Pandora. Pandora enjoyed amusing herself by getting mortals to do silly things in exchange for relevant information, likening herself to the box in the myth of Pandoa's Box. But eventually, she grew somewhat bored of this and considered resetting early. But then she met Blaike Raven, a man who intrigued her because he didn't want her "help" to find a treasure he was seeking. She continually tried to intrigue him with the knowledge she had of his current quest, which she claimed was very important, but Blaike preferred not knowing. Pandoa persisted, at first because of the challenge, but then out of concern, because the information was, in fact, important — there wasn't any treasure, just a giant magic lion bear.After narrowly escaping the monster, Pandora apologized to Blakie for not telling him sooner, but Blaike said that the treasure hadn't been the point. He was in it for the adventure and not knowing what came next was part of the point. Pandora found a kindred spirit in Blaike, and became his traveling companion and eventually his lover. Six years later, Adrian Raven was born. Pandora loved her son immensely, and taught him many things. As Blaike grew older, Pandora comforted herself with the knowledge that though Blaike would someday die, he'd grow old with her, and it would be right around the time for her to reset anyway.But Blaike did not die of old age. He was killed trying futility to protect travelers from a wandering monster. Pandora found him afterward, next to the bodies of those he had tried to protect. Devastated, Pandora turned to raising Adrian. Her two hundredth year came and went, and she did not reset. She did not consider resetting. She would not entrust the memory of her love to some other version of herself that wouldn't have an emotional connection to Blaike and Adrian. She would not forget her family. She would be there for her son, however long he lived. She would not let her love die.
EGS: Newspaper is a group of off-the-wall stories that aren't always canonical, or deal with slice of life tales not suitable for the main comic.