- Even the banner ad is hilarious. "Click or all these girls will cry!" "I won't". "Click or 80% of these girls will cry!"
- From the alternate comic, EGS:NP: RELEASE THE OTTOMANS!
- I'm not on your crew?
- Really, any scene with Heidi. Genki Girl!Elliot FTW.
- Susan doesn't get vampire romance novels. (And followup.)
- Jeremy briefly shuddered on that 7th of June, but he did not know why...
- "KISS THAT AND TELL ME IT'S EASY."
Grace: You know, they might be double-jointed.Tedd: MY RAGE IGNORES THIS.
- During the "Get Susan a fairy doll that looks like her" NP storyline, Tedd tries to explain how difficult dynamic morphs are (you have to mentally keep track of everything, including clothes, or something will go wrong), and lets slip that he and Sarah have ended up naked because of it. And then he realizes that he just told his cousin and Sarah's best friend about that.
Susan: You've seen each other naked!?
Nanase: More than once!?
Tedd: Annnd Sarah's gonna kill me.
- Susan thinks about whether she should shorten her hair or not, saying that only a logical reason would stop her.
Susan: "Woosh" is adequately logical.
Dan Shive: I wonder if I could get away with susan getting a haircut. I mean, she wouldn't be able to have badass hair in the wind with no wind, but that wouldn't be the end of the world, right?
- And in the rant below:
- The entirety of Grace's New Vegas playthrough.
- That's A Whole Lotta Top Secret Documents...
Eliott: Hell yeah! Area 51 fact sheets!
Mr. Verres: Forget you ever saw that!
Tedd: No way! Those are so going online later!
- Classic Brick Joke: [[hhttp://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=46 Tedd suggests the Superman:Grace::Clark Kent:Grace-in-glasses metaphor,]] which Grace uses when going to the school to find female-Elliot. Then Susan turns up.
Susan: Explanations later; first introductions. I'm Susan. Who are you?
Grace: I'm Clark.
Grace [to Greg]: Claire?
Grace [to Susan]: Name's Claire.
- "KITTY!!" Soon followed by "There is no God!!!"
- Justin makes a rather humorous Shout-Out to Yu-Gi-Oh! in this comic.
- This comic, before reading this one. The observant will laugh, indeed.
- "I'M TOO YOUNG AND TOO MALE TO BE THE MOTHER OF A SEVENTEEN-YEAR-OLD FEMALE ME!!!"
- "So you see, my lad, the true moral behind the battle of Trenton is that if you party too hearty, George Washington will kick your ass. Any questions?"
- When explaining how she and Elliot are different (i.e. why Elliot is more of a stick-in-the-mud), Ellen's summation and Elliot's reaction to it in the last panel here are priceless.
Ellen: You're like me if I was directed by George Lucas.
Elliot: YOU TAKE THAT BACK!
- I'M A MOMMY!
- This comic from Grace's birthday party.
- Susan and Justin got Grace a plant for her birthday. Jeremy was pleased.
Tedd: I think I've figured out what kind of plant it is...
- During Grace's birthday party, Sarah wonders what a date between the genderflipped Sarah and Elliot would be like;
Sarah: (...Wow. That was the worst fantasy ever, and there wasn't even a party in it. I have no idea what I'm doing, do I?)
- The Dimension-Hopping walrus...
Verres: No, Agent Wolf, I have somehow forgotten that there was a dimension-hopping walrus!
Wolf: Right. Well, there was this dimension-hopping walrus...
[Verres Face Palms]
- "How is THAT keeping a low profile?!"
- Tedd's back, baby!
- Diane shock scene.
Grace: Did the curse involve her outfit?
- And afterwards, when Ellen is texting Susan:
Susan: I don't care! Stop texting me! It costs both of us money every time!BZZ BZZEllen: My bad.
- And afterwards, when Ellen is texting Susan:
- "...even us?"
- The comic immediately after the Didn't See That Coming example. Note Raven's expression in panel seven, and the little "tnk" sound. It's clear he's just distracting Abraham, but the way he does it is brilliant.
- "I am an ENDLESS BARREL of exposition!"
- Raven as a pimp.
- Panel 6 Say it with me now...
- Mrs. Kitsune catches Ellen and Nanase together.
- Susan's confrontation with Principal Verrukt over the sexist dress code.
Verrukt: This is serious, young lady. This Rebel Without a Cause routine can only end badly for you.
Susan: I have a cause!
Verrukt: That's beside the point. If you keep up this hooliganism all you'll have to show for it is greased up hair, a motorcycle gang and a leather jacket with an emblem on the back that looks cool but completely contradicts your beliefs without your even realising it because you'll be too busy being a hooligan to comprehend its actual meaning!
Susan: What the hell are you talking about?
Verrukt: And that's another demerit for swearing. You'll never become a productive member of society at this rate. And with that, I'm off to save more students from themselves!
Susan: Classes ended at least twenty minutes ago.
Verrukt: Then I'm off to enjoy wholesome late afternoon sitcoms on cable!
Susan: ...How has that man not been fired yet?
- Belatedly: Elliot's reaction to his reaction to the bloodgrem:
Elliot [thinking to himself]: ...that girly scream was less manly than I would have liked...
- Tedd's horrified reaction to his own Character Development.
Tedd: For the record, I am much more interested in figuring out the science behind all of this than seeing a woman's naked breasts...Oh dear lord, what have I become?
Elliot: I dunno, mature?
- The entire race between Elliot and Noah in Swedekea. "Giant Bean Bag Chairs!"
- THE PLASTIC! IT HURTS!
- And two pages later, Catalina buying the hammer. Her body language is so gleeful you don't need to see her face.
- "He's fine".
- The Demonic Duck's biggest distraction yet.
- The girls summarizing their adventures to an Immortal—who can't believe his ears—in the Hammerchlorians arc. And then Grace tries to top it off.
Grace: Have I mentioned I'm part space alien?
Commentary: Somewhere, at this very moment, Raven has a headache and he knows not why.
- When Jerry offered Sarah magic.
- Dan explains the nature of immortals and the memories they preserve on death.
- For some reason, the third panel from this strip is just hilarious.
Why are you crying, Dr. Physics Professor?I... I'm not sure...
- And, a few comics later...
The professor's crying again.
He must be passionate about physics.
- And, a few comics later...
- Elliot fails at perversion, which is funny enough (especially the self-inflicted What the Hell, Hero? moment - "I'm someone's daughter, you bastard!"). Ellen's Manic Pixie Dream smile is what sells it though.
Elliot: I fail at perversion.
Ellen: Need some tips?
- "Et tu, Yoda t-shirt?"
- First and last panels. SLAPPITY SLAPPITY SLAPPITY SLAPPITY
- The Child Left Behind (AKA Noah)'s reaction to Grace's code name.
Greg: Are you okay?
CLB: I'm fine! I tripped!
Grace: But you were sitting.
CLB: Yes I was. Sorry, mistress. Ma'am. Shade Tail.
- Super heroes are bouncy.
- Heidi's introduction.
- Melissa: (as Heidi rants in the background) Personality shift?
Justin: Um, yeah.
Melissa: So which is the real—
Justin: Not this one.
- ...and The Rant on said introduction:
Deciding how exactly to dress "party" Elliot was a bit tricky. With mild-mannered, it was pretty simple, and with goth, I just wanted an outfit that was a bit over-the-top but clearly what one might picture as being goth. With party... what does one wear to parties? What was I gonna do, put a lampshade on her head?
- The last three panels.
- Elliot discovering his goth female Alter Ego.
- "The Princess Bride sucked." Just look at the reaction they have and the expression Susan's got at the same time.
- Faces made after the Pancake Mount Doom.
- Plus, look at the pictures near Grace's. They're all chubby people.
- Noah Hilarity in this strip.
Noah: I have been told I could make straight men see rainbows.
- The cop saying he doesn't believe it when the bystanders tell him about Justin defeating the fire monster only for the bystanders to whip out video camera phones that recorded the fight here.
- The news reports following the battle with the dragon. Particularly:
Officer: We have received a message from someone claiming to be the cloaked figure that the summoner has been stopped. We believe it to be authentic.
- The police officer's report.
Reporter 1: And why is that?
Officer: The message started as a blank note dropped by a flying figure. That note then erupted with text in a swirl of fantastic sapphire light.
Reporter 1: Ooh!
Reporter 2: Classy.
Professor: ...I'm not saying it couldn't be aliens. I'm just saying we don't have much information yet and the possibilities are practically infinite.
- The conversation between the professor and the vlogger.
Vlogger: Why must you be so closed-minded?
- "SHE'S OKAY! Why yes, I imagine me yelling into the phone would hurt your ears."
- Upon Elliot discovering his his superhero form's secret identity: Oh my goodness! I'M MILD MANNERED!
- Q&A #5. Amanda hitting on Raven, Chika, "This is exactly what it looks like", EXTRAPOLATE!
Commentary: "Dalek Holmes, have you determined who the killer was?"
"Astounding! Who was it?"
"IT WAS MMMEEEEE!"
"Grace finally snapped and destroyed half of Moperville.""TO THE UNDO BUTTON!"
- Also the strip's punchline, which nicely explains why there will never be Time Travel in EGS:
- So to answer your question about charts, hair fairies might be real.
- Remember that always, Random Classmate!
- Ellen and Nanase contemplate a double date with Tedd and Grace.
Ellen: Heh. Sounds like the only issue we have with this double date is Tedd.
Nanase: Yeah, if we were just on a date with Grace, we'd be set!
Ellen: What were you just thinking about?
Nanase: Baseball. You?
Ellen: Also baseball.
- WE'RE GOING OUT!!!
- The kids who hang out at Justin's comic store discover that Nanase is gay.Meanwhile, Nanase wants Ellen to go into a Neanderthal-eque rage. Hilarity Ensues.
- Nanase and her Themed Harem Comedy.
- Arthur apparently tried to deport Raven to Russia.
Mr. Verres: To be fair, you did enter the country on falsified information.
Raven: The only thing I lied about was my age, and I'm not from Russia.
- GRACE! Raven's expression in the fifth panel is priceless. Plus, in the commentary, "Grace has a knack for these sort of revelations, doesn't she?"
- Sadly, we miss out on the obviously epic spit take that was about to occur.
- The following... screaming conversation:
Random student: So, like, these two guys like me, and one of them is really nice, and the other's kind of a jerk, but they're both hot-
Raven: Out! To your next class! Classroom temporarily closed, date the nice one, out!
Random student: But the jerk is so hot...
- Grace "explaining" that Raven knew she was different.
Raven: That is not how it went.
Grace: And then I like to pretend you bought us apology ice cream, but you totally didn't.
- "I'm eighteen! I'm a major!" "Oh, like that makes you an adult." "Legally, it does. You can do all sorts of things with me!" "You shouldn't say it like- look."
- "Thanks to the magic of character development, however, Grace had the courtesy to at least try and be physically modest."
- Grace and Raven make a great comedic duo. Some gems include:
Raven: (thinking) Yes. Let's get a look at this deadly three-tailed-
Raven: (thinking) What.
Grace: (in three-tails form) HOW DO YOU LIKE ME NOW?! (sees Raven's shocked expression) Mr. Raven? I'm sorry if I was too scary. Mr. Greg encourages being dramatic...
Raven: (thinking) She killed Damien. She could kill 12 Damiens. Those 12 Damiens could merge to make a Super Damien, and she could kill that.
Something out of sight: HISS
Grace: (Ducks behind couch) EEP!
Raven: (Sighs) (Assuming Damien didn't do anything to startle her.)
- When Noah is told that Grace is on her way over to his and Raven's house, he manages to go from sitting on the couch in a stable position to... this. "I tripped!"
- Nanase's little sister is excited about her relationship with Ellen, and declares that she'll date girls when she's older too. Nanase says that's not something someone can just decide, and when Akiko presses the issue, she can't think of a good way to explain to her eight-year-old sister. Then this happens:
Akiko: "Am I going to have to look this up on the internet?" *Dramatic Thunder*
Nanase: "NO! HECK NO!"
- "Not that there'd be anything '''wrong''' with that, but--Wait, do lesbians need to say that?"
- Getting ready to go to a job interview, Elliot rapidly shifts forms to burn up any excess energy.
- Heidi: Ooh! I should interview for the job in this form! It has so much energy and can-do spirit!
Ellen: It also has the judgement of a chipmunk.
Heidi: Chipmunks have excellent judgement! They prepare for winter and everything.
- The return of Susan's Logic and Curiousity and their first meeting with her Nature and Nurture. This ends up bringing about the second double team attack on Susan from her inner shoulder people.
Susan's Logic: Okay then. It's unanimous: We feel terrible. Have fun with that, ego.
- The Dunkel Parents lay down summer vacation rules.
Mr. Dunkel: We have summoned you, our children, to the depths of the living room...
- We get a twofer in this comic. First of all, Tedd imagines having Sarah as a lab assistant on a very... interesting... manner. He quickly corrects this with a new image with Sarah looking very professional, Grace with goggles but minus her lab coat... and with himself as a girl. Of course. Second, there is only one thing Tedd can afford to pay anyone: unimaginable power.
Sarah: That works.
- Both of Grace!Tedd's maniac Awesomefaces in this comic's Imagine Spots.
- Sarah's entirely legitimate concerns upon nothing seeming to happen.
- Tedd explains that the watches only last longer than they're supposed to (half an hour) if you want the spell to persist.
Sarah: And you were okay with looking like Grace for fifteen hours.
Tedd: Oh, like that's the least bit shocking.
- Susan ends up telling her boss Elliot knows Cheerlandra. Words cannot describe how glorious the result is - suffice to say, it's the :D emoji given flesh.
Tensaided: Heyyyy, Elliot. Do you like... superheroes?
- Then, as Susan and Elliot are brainstorming on how to deal with the fallout, they have just come up with "stall for time until he gets too overt" as a plan when Tensaided leans in to ask a question.
Elliot: Um, sure, yeah.
Susan: [whispered] Justin and I will have a strategy for her response by Monday.
- Elliot is depressed about his new job, but it only takes Susan ten seconds to get him fired up again.
Tensaided: Wow. That guy's like a misguided henchman for a charismatic super villain waiting to happen.
- Followed up on when Susan tries to reassure Elliot after he failed to rescue a customer from a bad movie.
Susan: Elliot, that guy's core will be fine.
Susan: You know. His core. The center of his well-being. His essence, his morale, his midichlorian count... they're fine. All of those things will be fine. There is no core breach imminent.
Elliot: I know that.
Susan: Good, because I'm not sure what I'm even saying at this point.
- Followed up on when Susan tries to reassure Elliot after he failed to rescue a customer from a bad movie.
- Tensaided and Justin get into an argument on the rules that restrict cards used in tournaments to those released within the past two years. Tensaided then asks Grace for her opinion. ("You there, random woman with a clipboard!")
Grace: I'm sorry, I completely zoned out. You guys were saying words?
- In "By the Numbers", we see Elliot breaking out the Cool Shades and guiding the customers to the best that the store can offer until:
Susan: Elliot, why are you wearing sunglasses?
Elliot: Why am I what? Oh! Heh. Forgot to take them off.
- One is a gender swapped duplicate of a shapeshifting anime-style martial artist. The other's an extremely powerful magic user, who just so happens to be a lesbian with an occasional temper. As of now, They Fight Crime.
- It's the mall goblin! Get him!
- During their first film review, Elliot looking at Susan's empty hand in Panel 2.
- Susan's attempt to clarify what she just said here.
- Justin's face in the last panel.
Susan: ...What? What's with the Fry face?
- Justin's face in the last panel.
- This cute little Noodle Incident:
Mr. Verres: If you ask me a question I cannot answer, either because I don't know or cannot safely say, I will say so. Or change the subject. Or fake a seizure.Tedd: That was fake?
- Sarah's vocal and wonderfully cringe-worthy realization about her relationship with Elliot, and Nanase's reaction here.
Sarah: He never wants to try anything new. It's always up to me to come up with stuff to do and get things going. And even with me calling almost all the shots, we're still virgins! *beat* ...How loudly did I just say that?
Nanase: I'm pretty sure not everyone in the restaurant heard that.
- The only one who is not Tedd.
- Elliot asks the question "What is love?" He and Tedd immediately do what everybody does when those words are spoken:
Both: Dun-dun! Dun-dun-dun-dun-dun! Dun-dun-dun-dun-dun!
- "She's like a sister to me!" And the aftermath.
- This recap comic on Ellen's and Nanase's various mystery solving has several funny lines. For example:
Zookeeper?: I don't know how our prized lockpicking gorilla escaped, but...
- I have a LOT to learn about friendship.
- "Careful there, Diane. That's how nerds get started."
- In the August 2, 2013 strip, when Tengu is chasing Ellen and Nanase through the air, gets impatient, and screams about how he'll use his power to kill them and their families (letting a spoiler about Tedd having a sibling out in the process). The girls comment telepathically—
Nanase: Can you understand what he's saying?
Ellen: All I can hear right now is "Whoosh."
Nanase: Me too.
- When Elliot meets Diane.
Elliot: She's like a shorter alternate universe version of Susan who makes puppy-dog faces! Brain! What do I do with this information!?
[anthropomorphic brain shrugs]
Elliot: Oh, you never know what to do!
- "Really?! NOW you stop with the snow?"
- "She was just asking for directions!"
- Sarah's montage of attempts at investigating the source of a rumor.
- The montage of her later attempts, using the tactic of straight-up asking the people if they know about it.
- Susan's attempts to get over her Hates Being Touched status.
- I am a FANTASTIC liar!
- How Elliot imagines Tom manipulating Susan:
Imaginary!Tom: Mwuh- hahahaha! Date me, or I will kick all of the puppies!
Imaginary!Susan: (Summons hammers) I don't think so.
- "Boing"? Seriously?
- And the following page: "What are they..?" "Don't ask."
- This conversation between Tedd and Elliot.
Tedd: Oh... Does she, um "swing" both ways?
Elliot: Swing? What Swing?
Tedd: No no, does she like apples... And oranges?
Elliot: I don't know her fruit preferences.
Tedd: Bisexual. Is she Bisexual.
Elliot: Oh! I dunno. Maybe?
- This exchange after Susan figures Tom out:
Sarah: I think there's a lesson to be learned from all this.
Susan: "Tom is a jackass"?
Random classmate: Hey!
Susan: Not you. Different Tom.
Random Tom: Oh okay. Sorry I overheard.
- Luke's plan to lose quickly so as to be able to talk to Justin and Grace runs into a snag when...
- Larry hitting on Tedd during the match, not knowing he's a guy.
Larry: That card reminds me of this one time I saved a puppy from a mountain lion. Punched it right in its nose!
Tedd: The mountain lion or the puppy?
- OH YEAH! Tensaided's Oh Crap! face is priceless.
- In the Squirrel Prophet Part to arc, the "final battle" splash page has something for everyone. Sarah vs. Sam is one of the highlights.
Sarah: I am jealous of how many pockets you have!
Sam: [dead serious] I know.
- "Well good for Spider-Man. I jiggle."
- In the middle of a revelation about Luke: "OH MY GOD BIGFOOT IS REAL."
- This guy has a really annoying playing style.
- And then we get the follow-up to that. "Target monster is a penguin" is probably the crowner.
- Sarah and Sam's stalemate.
Sarah: (bored) I summon another vampire. The forest is safer and stuff. Go.Sam: Are you sure you don't want to attack?Sarah: Why don't you attack?Sam: It's your turn.Sarah: Nuh-uh, I ended it.
- After a card tournament that lasts lasts several real-world months, the grand prize goes to a nameless extra.
- Luke learns about immortals.
Luke: Whoa... a-and what are they called?
Luke: ...they're literally just called "immortals"?
Justin: As far as I know.
Luke: That's... terrible.
- Proving that Susan and Diane have more in common than it at first seems...
Diane: I've made a terrible mistake.
- Ashley saying some stuff about herself:
Ashley: Um... what else? Oh! I play ballet and dance soccer! *long pause* Wait! I mean-!
Elliot: One sec, I'm imagining dance soccer.
- Ashley was advised to avoid the bookstore while on the date. However, she forgot to look prior to suggesting an alternative. Cue the biggest Luminescent Blush in the comic's run.
- Elliot's attempted recovery doesn't fare much better.
- And continued further as Eliot tries to find the right way out of the hole he just dug himself into he realizes that, with his luck, something weird will happen that will render the whole thing moot. (probably Tempting Fate there a bit, too).
- When it does, it also comes paired with an extremely random Brick Joke.
- Diane doesn't believe in Tara's supernatural senses and doesn't believe that she's any sort of potential vampire hunter. When her companion points out Tara's uncanny ability to detect that Ellen and Elliot were twins, Diane gave this response:
Diane: OH MY GOD! She deduced that the people with nearly identical faces are twins?! She must be a wizard griffon!
- Elliot finds out what happens to his cell phone when he transforms into Cheerleadra with it in his pocket. He starts vibrating in mid-air, then touches his stomach and starts hearing Ashley's voice in his ears.
Ashley: How are you answering this? Ellen told me you wouldn't have your phone if you weren't changed back yet.Elliot: You're calling me on a phone?Ashley: Um, yeah?Elliot: This is a phone call?Ashley: Um...Elliot: I don't have my phone! I just sort of... buzzed all over, and now we're talking!
- When he groans "You Have Got to Be Kidding Me!", one of the griffins suggests he should consult spell books more often.
- When Nanase shows up in fairy doll form and Andrea gushes about how incredibly magically powerful this is, calling her "Your Highness" for the umpteenth time, Nanase corrects her yet again. the griffins point out how powerful her magic is, pointing out "Do you have ANY idea how many laws of physics you've broken just doing that?" Nanase remarks "We view the laws of physics more as polite suggestions."
- The griffins bantering about alternate universes.
- This conversation about the recent fight.
- Andrea's shock at what Nanase and Elliot say about alternate universes.
- Tara suddenly remembering that Andrea told her, in no uncertain terms, that immortals are capable of lying. "Whoops." "WHOOPS?!?"
- Continuing on the "Elliot as a human cell phone" track, they're trying to figure out how to get back to the random spot in the woods they are currently at. Nanase suggests he use his GPS function. Elliot tries to brush it off... but fails.
Elliot: How the fork would I... [beat] I know our exact GPS coordinates and can see what looks like a floating picture of a satellite view of here. I also know where all the nearby restaurants are.
- Pandora's reason for her Meaningful Name: She acknowledges that her role in the story is closer to Pandora's Box than the mythical Pandora herself, but found that people didn't get the reference when she tried calling herself "Box".
- The important information about the treasure was that there was no treasure... and that there was a giant magic lion bear.
- Pandora, hovering ominously above a sleeping and defenseless Grace, says that this will be her LAST dream.....before waking up.
Grace: *Clearly in shock* Ah! No! I'll stop it! I'll—Fire Goo Griffin: I have a wife and three dozen Fire Goo Griffin babies.
- Additionally, the dream itself, which involves Greg training Grace, before a Fire Goo Griffin appears out of nowhere, eats Greg's arm to become 5 times stronger, and as Grace finally works up the nerve to stop it...