Film / Striptease
A 1996 sex comedy, Striptease
features Erin Grant (played by Demi Moore
), a former FBI secretary, who has taken up work as a stripper at the Eager Beaver in order to earn the money she needs to afford an appeal for child custody. Adored by two of the patrons in particular, one of them an influential Congressman (Burt Reynolds
) with an election coming up, a plan emerges to try and blackmail the Congressman about his (ahem) avid
interest in Grant, so that she can afford to keep the custody battle going until she wins.
Unfortunately for those involved in the plan, the Congressman's business connections really
want him to win the election - no matter who they have to silence in order to make sure his skeletons stay in the closet...
While notable for being one of the (several) roles where Demi Moore appears topless, it's probably more memorable for having been panned by the critics and winning several Razzie Awards
, including "Worst Picture of 1996".
Tropes in the film:
- Adaptation Distillation: The entire subplot regarding the sugar is gone, as are several scenes that introduce us to the lawyer Mordecai and his cousin Joyce. Killian also loses a proper introduction, and Darrel lives at the end.
- Badass: The bouncer is a textbook example.
- Con Man - Grant's ex-husband, Darrel, is notable for this; the first scene we see him in has him using his daughter to help steal wheelchairs from a hospital, in order to sell them to a medical supply shop...which will, one assumes, sell them right back to the hospital.
- Corrupt Bureaucrat - Dilbeck, the Congressman in question, has several business connections who want to make sure he stays in office - no matter what it takes. And he's not shy about trying to use his own power to get what he wants.
- Demoted to Extra: Jerry Killian is a very minor character in the book, but his screen time in the movie is still reduced. The same happens to Joyce Mizner, who is barely there before she bites it (although Joyce is really only there as the fiancée of the man Dilbeck attacks).
- Even Evil Has Standards: In the novel, when Congressman Dilbeck goes to ask the judge handling the Grant's divorce case if he would help her out in exchange for a favor - like, say, a federal position - the judge informs Dilbeck he doesn't need Dilbeck's help in that regard. However, he would be able to help Erin out if she gave him a blow job. Malcolm, his campaign manager, is not amused: "The mother won't go for it. Hell, I got no morals whatsoever and *I* wouldn't go for it."
- Fan Disservice: Half-naked and oiled Burt Reynolds.
- Feather Boa Constrictor - One stripper's entire shtick is this.
- Film of the Book - Based on a novel by the same name, written by Carl Hiaasen. One of the concessions that the critics give is that the screenplay is pretty faithful to the book.
- Hollywood Law: A real judge would never even have given a criminal with a record like Darrell's visitation rights, much less sole custody.
- Hypocrite: The Judge awards sole custody to Darrell (a convicted felon in constant violation of his parole) because Erin is a stripper. Then he becomes a regular at the strip club just to watch her dance because apparently patronizing a stripper is less sinful than being one.
- I Ate WHAT?: Involves a cockroach put in a yogurt pot (in order to make a phony lawsuit).
- Insistent Terminology - Don't call the women working at the Eager Beaver "strippers" where Shad can hear you. Just...don't. They're not strippers; they're dancers.
- Irony: Erin only became a stripper in the first place because Darrell's crimes got her fired from the FBI. Then the judge awarded sole custody to the criminal because she was a stripper, making her even more dependent upon her income as a stipper to continue the custody battle.
- Loony Fan - Jerry Killian is very fond of Grant, although he's never quite implied to have gone to the point where he'd cross the line from Loony Fan to Stalker with a Crush - although that may be because Shad is quite open about being willing to inflict harm on anyone who seems to be a danger to the dancers. But he is the one who tries to blackmail Dilbeck, to try and get Grant's custody case judged in her favor. It gets him killed.
- Dilbeck has a piece of lint from Grant's dryer.
- Ms. Fanservice: Grant. And how!
- One Steve Limit: Lampshaded with the strippers "Monique" and "Monique Jr.".
- Single Mom Stripper - Erin, a divorcee trying to regain custody of her daughter, is now working at the Eager Beaver in order to earn the money she needs to fight the custody battle.
- Spared by the Adaptation: Darrell does not get caught in a sugar milling machine in the movie
- Stalker with a Crush - Congressman Dilbeck. He even goes so far as to have Grant's dryer lint stolen, so that he can have sex with it while it's still warm. Grant is incredibly creeped out when she finds out.
- Yandere: Dilbeck.