Fanfic Recs: Lyrical Nanoha
aka: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha
Proof that the remaining 10% is worth getting befriended for
These are recommendations made by Tropers for Lyrical Nanoha
fanfics, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here
Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page
. That goes on the review discussion page.
Authors, Archives, and Websites
The animesuki.com forums' Nanoha fanfic thread
by various authors
- Recommended by Nolrai Hikari, Silent Outlaw
- This thread gets several pages worth of fiction a day, and the average quality is higher than Sturgeon's Law would suggest. (That is, more than 10% of it is worthwhile.) Particularly good for short crack, either humorous or lime, or both, but there's all kinds of stuff here. Very, very long. Bring a map, you will get lost in here.
- Recommended by Comartemis, Ten Four, mindstalk
- Penguin's already got a bunch of individual recommendations listed further down the page, but pretty much everything he writes for this series is worth looking at if you like the Original Flavor. Blood and Spirit in particular is a must-read for fans of Suzuka and Arisa, and Stahlkönigin and the rest of the Steel Queen Chronicles are a treat for Vivio fans (Caramel Milk in particular contains 300% your daily recommended sugar intake). The rest is largely drabbles and one-shots, some of which is written for RadiantBeam's Lutecia/Vivio series Shadows and Sunrise, but it's all pretty entertaining stuff as long as you're not looking for a sweeping epic (Note that I'm only reviewing his Nanoha materials here; he's also got a bunch of work from other series that I haven't touched yet).
Star of Fate
- Recommended by Yukari-chan, Silent Outlaw
- Seems like a fairly new writer who has put out a ton of fanfiction. It's all Nanoha, but whether you like action, adventure, angst, drama, or comedy (especially comedy!), there is something you'll like. His main work appears to be MGLN Crisis, of which he has two spinoffs, and another two in the works. He also has Unexpected Expectations which deals with mature subjects, and the darker Future Tense. There is also a bunch of shorts that are guaranteed to make you laugh! You can find a number of his fics on this page, and he updates often, like once a week at least.
Stories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance.
- Recommended by Nightelf37
- They seem to be an avid reader of Fanfiction for two years now (as of 2013) and has decided to take a chance at their own. What they have is apparently a Fusion Fic of Lyrical Nanoha with Harry Potter. She is open to advice and critique.
by Knight of Loreley.
- Recommended by darkflamemaster1988
- Synopsis: Garyu's misadventures as he tries to find a job in order to cope with Lutecia's unreasonable demands.
by Dracis Tran.
- Recommended by Golden Dragon 326
- Synopsis: Vita reflects on Nanoha's accident that's flashbacked on in StrikerS. The story takes place right after the accident happens; Vita is sitting outside of the hospital room where Nanoha is lying unconscious.
by Daishi Prime (AU-Divergence between A
's and StrikerS
) (TVTropes page for the series it's part of
by KC Komicer
- Recommended by Person With Many Aliases, Night, DKN 117
- Synopsis: In London, a mysterious figure is stealing Mage's Devices. Nanoha and company are sent to apprehend the culprit. Meanwhile, Arisa and Suzuka chase after their friends on their own, and end up meeting a "Ms. Testarossa"... It only gets crazier from there. Is a stealth crossover.
by Moczo (TV Tropes page
- Recommended by Crazael, DKN 117, Diamond Edge, S Noble Jr, Question Marker
- Synopsis: The Book of Darkness case is over, giving Nanoha and company some much-needed rest. But the peace ends abruptly as a pair of unknown mages descend on Earth, seeking a lost artifact and reigniting an ancient conflict. It's time to save the world again...
MSLN Test Dummies
- Recommended by Hideki101, Crazael, Diamond Edge, S Noble Jr
- Synopsis: The conclusion to his Vivio-centric AU story (although it wasn't so when he began the series). Follows mostly the cast from A's (although Teana makes a cameo) as they try to thwart a terrorist plot. This story is the finale to his Vivio storyline, so you may want to start here.
by Admiral Tigerclaw (TV Tropes page
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha Crisis
- Recommended by CRB Wildcat, SAMAS, Crazael, kknd2, Tikigod784
- Synopsis: "Crash" is a pilot for the B.E.S.T. Force, a force designed to test out new technologies, and "dispose" of confiscated Mass Weapons (Translation: We get to play with missiles). He's got a suit of Powered Armor, a partner with a noted resemblance to Asuka Langley, this universe's version of Coop, and seriously bad luck when it comes to machines. He's got just enough skill to survive when the Numbers Cyborgs came after him during the Jail Scaglietti Incident, but when Riot Force Six comes over to check out B.E.S.T.'s new countermeasure for Gadget Drones, Nanoha sees potential for more than just their new AI fighter... Comes with its own trailer.
by Kaijo (TV series continuation off StrikerS
Christmas for Everyone?
- Recommended by BD, kknd2, DKN 117
- Synopsis: One year after the events of StrikerS, Nanoha and crew find their battle continues. Old foes re-emerge, leading to a climactic clash with the fate of Mid-Childa, the TSAB, and Magic itself as the prize.
- Somewhere approximately 50 years after all those have happened: Future Tense
- Synopsis: The future went very, very wrong due to some unfortunate events. Nanoha wakes up more than 50 years after StrikerS, finding a future where everything she knew is different, with the TSAB being now a totalitarian state, led by Hayate Yagami. Many of her friends still work for the TSAB, while others have joined a resistance movement.
- angelmira highly recommends this if you are into non OC story lines.
- Nightzin also recommends this fic, as it is very mature and well written, with very few created characters. It has some similarities to Betrayer S, but they are just coincidences. The fic has also been completed and the author is still active as of 25/10/2013.
- Recommended by S Noble Jr
- Pairings: Some teasing of Nove/Wendi, which gets elaborated on in Someone for Everyone, mentioned further down.
- Synopsis: A sort-of spinoff/prequel of Someone for Everyone (see below). Jail wants to understand what Christmas is about... and decides that stealing it is the best way to do so. The consequences are nothing short of insane.
, by Nanya and Epsilon Zeta (TV Tropes page
Echoes of the Past
- Recommended by Night, Grand Prince Paul II.
- Synopsis: Takes place circa Force. When an excavation team uncovers lost scriptures from the Book of the Silver Cross, Yuuno gets called away from his civilian life to lend his expertise to the case, but things get really weird really fast when he finds the excavation site blown to smithereens and the Huckbein fighting... the Materials? Yeah baby, it's everyone's favorite Evil Twins from The Battle of Aces, and things are about to get very very interesting for our dear Ferret Boy...
, by DezoPenguin
Ready, Sette, Go!
- Recommended by Comartemis
- Synopsis: Senior Enforcer Valentine Yaris wasn't looking to babysitting child prodigy Fate T. Harlaown on her first mission, but when the Lost Logia investigation proves to be more than it appeared, the child will have to learn rapidly if they hope to close the case.
, by Moczo
Behind the Smile
- Recommended by Comartemis, S Noble Jr, Gaunt88, Ten Four, fishsicles, Epic Fighting Troper, mindstalk
- Synopsis: Sette of the Numbers has been released from prison early for model behavior. With no other reasonable mission objectives, she does the only logical thing: move into the Nakajima house, and attempt to integrate into society. Key word being, 'attempt'. Humor and character study more than plot.
, by F91
- Recommended by Nanya
- Synopsis: Hayate's almost always smiling, no matter what. Sometimes, those smiles hide deep secrets. Trigger warnings: oh god, yes.
- Recommended by Silverage
- Synopsis: A Due-centric story. This is the story about life, death, and mice that don't make very good conversationalists. Wait, what?
Rise of the Daemon Kaiser
- Recommended by Silverage
- Synopsis: Changes to the past affect the present. Even the smallest changes can cause things that appear similar to be completely different.
I Stand Alone
- Recommended by Silent Outlaw
- Synposis:On the tail of tragedy comes the revival of an ancient evil. Can Nanoha, Fate, and the others overcome their grief and face this new foe?
by Old Iron
- Recommended by lhklan
- Synopsis: Yuuno-centric story wherein a worn man wonders how far he has to go.
(TV Tropes page
- Recommended by Nanya, spacemonkey37, universalperson, Faraway_2, mindstalk
- Status: Complete, with a sequel ongoing.
- Synopsis: Who dares stand between a mother and her daughter's life? Precia will do anything to achieve her goals. Even if it means accepting Fate.
- A MGLN fanfic that completely reinvents the Nanoha Verse. A lot of barely-mentioned characters, including those already dead by the time we first learn about them, are engaged and fleshed out excellently.
- Also has an Alternate Universe oneshot sidestory, Another Way.
- The sequel, Power Games is out.
- Recommended by Silent Outlaw
- Synopsis: In a time where Fate did not become an enforcer but a convict-turned-civilian collaborator. A world where TSAB is forgiving, but not forgiving enough to let ex-convicts into its organization. This is how her path was re-shaped.
- Comments: This is one long, epic, story told from Fate's perspective detailing her life if she never had the opportunity to join the TSAB. This fic swings from light, fluffy scenes to serious discussions to heart pounding action. It's one of the best fics I have ever read.
(TV Tropes Page)
- Recommended by Keimarios
- Synopsis: Cutting corners hurt Precia once and she wasn't going to risk Alicia's last chance by doing so again. And when the Arthra encounters a distortion of time-space, things get dicey on Non Administrated Planet 97 without the TSAB to support Nanoha and Yuuno...
- Comments: A well done AU in which the TSAB doesn't get involved with the Garden of Time. Also, notable for including the Takamachi family in the action. Shirou Takamachi's assassin skills shine when he bypasses threatening Wolkenritter to hold Hayate hostage.
Yuuno's Vault of Whispers
- Recommended by Comartemis, Edranis
- Synopsis: A few months after StrikerS, Yuuno gets an itch to go adventuring again for old times sake and after digging up some information on the so-called 'Vault of Whispers', hops the next flight out to the Non Administrated planet said to hold it. Shame that the planet in question is Pandora.
by Twilights Herald (Crossover
Magical Girl Nanoha 1/2
- Recommended by Looney Toons
- Synopsis: The TSAB has found two new Lost Logia in a remote pocket dimension — the planet Earl and its moon. Complicating matters is that Earl is inhabited by a human civilization that seems to be tapping unknowingly into the power of the planet-sized Logia to turn girls into the strategic weapons called Otome. The TSAB dispatches its two best — Nanoha Takamichi and Fate Testarossa Harlaown — to infiltrate the school that manufactures the Otome, Garderobe Academy, in the form of its two newest students. Unfortunately, their Intelligent Devices are locked down into passive scanners to prevent them from drawing too much attention to themselves. Even so, they quickly gain the nickname "The Terrors of Garderobe". And their first trimester is barely over when Arika Yumemiya appears out of the desert to claim her own place at the school.
by Lost Star (AU Crossover
with Ranma ½
Chronicle of the Imperial Wars -- Book 1: Unfortunate Meetings
- Recommended by Tropers/Nanya, Looney Toons
- Synopsis: A simple meeting between two characters creates changes that snowball from a small chance encounter. The character interactions are just hilarious and very much in character for the characters involved. Plus it's one of the few fanfictions that this troper has ever seen that makes both Shiro and Genma awesome without them doing anything directly.
by Base Delta Zero
Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha Decade
- Recommended by SAMAS, ObssesedNuker, DKN 117, EpicFightingTroper
- Synopsis: Two ships crash on Mid-Chlida through dimensional space. Unfortunately, either one of them alone represents a threat to all life on the planet. Da Orks and the Death Korps of Krieg seem to be of a like mind about the state of the planet: Kill 'em All!
- Recommended by Tropers/Nanya, Eddie Current, Psyga315
- Synopsis: While on Earth, Vivio overhears a comment made by Nanoha that causes her to run off and meet someone who will change her destiny. At least for the time he's on Earth. Crosses over with Kamen Rider Decade.
Takamachi Nanoha of 2814
- Recommended by Psyga315
- Synopsis: The sequel to the above fanfic. Vivio unexpectedly finds Tsukasa, who claims that he no longer needs comrades, while everyone begins to attempt to cast the destroyer out of Nanoha's World once again.
, by Shadow Crystal Mage (TV Tropes page
The White Devil of the Moon
, by Bissek (TV Tropes page
Fate, Stay Ranma
- Recommended by tennessean, Kazeto, Sithking Zero
- Synopsis: Fifteen year-old Nanoha isn't just the TSAB's Ace of Aces; she's also the reincarnation of Princess Serenity, and the Sailor Senshi desperately need her power to break a precarious stalemate with the Dark Kingdom that's been going on for over a year without Sailor Moon's help. There's just one small problem; Nanoha is newly crippled and still recovering from her timeskip injuries, but if the Senshi ask for her help she'll give it regardless of what it may cost her. Luckily Fate and Arf are around to stop the Senshi from bothering Nanoha while she's on medical leave, but when Beryl gets wind of Serenity's return and the Senshi mistake Fate for a witch keeping their Princess under a spell... well, there's really only one way this can end.
, by Bean Bandit (Crossover with Ranma 1/2
It Could Always Be Worse
- Recommended by Comartemis
- Synopsis: In the great city of Tokyo, Ranma and Genma Saotome arrive at the Tendo Dojo to fulfill Genma's dream of joining the twin schools of Anything Goes Martial Arts. That's great, but Ranma has much more pressing issues than romance, like the fact that he turns into a magical girl when splashed with cold water, or the fact that he's best friends with the ghost of that same magical girl and is very interested in remedying that whole "ghost" thing...
by Shaun Garin
, by Iaculus
Blood That Flows
- Recommended by Diamond Edge, Gadeel
- Synopsis: The main characters of Neon Genesis Evangelion take the powers fanon has tended to give them to the extreme and morph into physical manifestations of the Warhammer 40,000 Warp Gods. As they break into the multiverse, they meet up with Nanoha and the TSAB; chaos ensues.
by Nanya (Crossover
, TV Tropes Page
- Recommended by Golden Darkness
- Synopsis: What if Nanoha's mother was really a certain sorceress known for destructive magic usage? Earth and Mid-Childa will never be the same again. Or much less said mother's home universe. That's right, her mother is none other than Lina Inverse.
by Academia Nut (TV Tropes Page
Equal and Opposite Attraction
- Recommended by SAMAS
- Synopsis: Nanoha finds herself stranded on a Death World of ash and fire, her only companion a baby with burning red eyes and jet-black skin. Still recovering from injuries sustained prior to her arrival, taking the child to the safety of a nearby village takes nearly all of her strength and magic ability. As she recovers, she teaches the rapidly-growing child and leaves a lasting impression on him. This child is Vulkan, future Primarch of the Salamanders, and Nanoha's love will have a big impact on the 31st Millennium.
by Zephyr-Fiction (TV Tropes page
Lyrical Nanoha - You are (not) a magical girl 1.0 Sachiel I and Sachiel II
- Recomneded by Shadow Crystal Mage
- Synopsis: A new teacher arrives in Nanoha's class: a boy her own age named Negi Springfield, one of an entire society of mages that the TSAB is only now figuring out is hiding under their noses. Hilarity, of course, Ensues. Set after A's, and goes for Original Flavor.
by wadatsumi garland
(WARNING: Doujin is SFW. Site is Not.
Nanoha Genesis Evangelion
- Recommended by: dalekandrews
- Crossing over with: Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Magic Knight Rayearth and some Super Robot Wars
- Synopsis: Precia Testarossa's use of the Jewel Seeds causes more damage to the dimensional walls surrounding Earth than anyone could've expected. Now magical girls from across time and space have gathered. Forging new allegiances and battling new foes. Set up. Go!
The Top Gear Midchilda Special
- Reccomended by: Kid Kaizer
- Crossing over with:Neon Genesis Evangelion
- Synopsis: A crossover with Evangelion. Mostly with Nanoha characters and some Evangelion characters. The year is 2015 and young Nanoha has just been chosen to become a Magical Girl by NERV as she is on the verge of puberty, the perfect time to become a Magical Girl. Follow Nanoha, Fate, Hayate, Shamal, Signum, and Vita as they try to protect Tokyo-3 and the Earth from the Invading Angels.
Mahou Senki Lyrical Days
- Recommended by Knightof Lsama
- Crossing over with:Top Gear
- Synopsis: To anyone familiar with Top Gear, it's pretty much Exactly What It Says on the Tin. For those not familiar with Top Gear, it's best described as Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond, and James May go to Mid-Childa, get their hands on some local cars and faff about.
- Recommended by Antimage, Kazeto, Ye Of Little Faith
- Crossing over with: Fate/Stay Night
- Synopsis: The wheel of fate is derailed as Emiya Shirou is brought up in Uminari City. Watch the birth of a Magical Hero as the boy with a body of swords meets the White Devil.
Fate Night Sky
- Recommended by Bluepencil, Epic Fighting Troper, Aklyon
- Crossing over with: Harry Potter
- Synopsis: After the JS Incident, Nanoha goes to Earth on sick leave, only to meet Dumbledore, looking for a new Defense professor. Set right after Strikers, and during fifth year. It's Nanoha at her absolute best- as a hellmaster instructor of future aces. Complete.
, by Beasts lair's Fraggle (TV Tropes page
- Beast's Lair link: http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthread.php/1000-FSN-x-MGLN-crossover-Fate-Night-Sky
- Recommended by Ye Of Little Faith, Kazeto, nitewind, Xamusel, spacemonkey37
- Crossover with Fate/stay night
- Synopsis: It was just a small wish: To live with their master and their friends as those uneventful days passed by, to see him grow up as he chased his ideals by his own strength. To become an ally of justice; a hero who can save everyone.
- Comments: A story in which the Book Of Darkness binds itself to Emiya Shirou instead of Yagami Hayate. A interesting idea with a good deal of potential, and a greater amount of work put into it. Even though it is still in its infancy, it delivers some well-done character interactions. The initial development of the Wolkenritter's feelings towards Shirou as their master is truly endearing and heartwarming.
, by daniel gudman
- Recommended by Keimarios
- Crossover with Revelation Space
- Synopsis: Following a Lost Logia incident on Unadministrated World 82 "Jetter" : Special Lost Property Division Six is reformed, ostensibly for Yuuno's Lost Logia hunt, but secretly to handle a new, JS related prophecy.
- Comments: Through excellent writing this crossover blends quite tastefully and the Sci-Fi traits from both series bring forth much plot potential.
, by Shockz.
Madoka X Nanoha
- Recommended by spacemonkey37
- Crossover with The Dresden Files
- Synopsis: Harry Dresden would honestly have been happier if that Takamachi woman had never walked into his office and asked for his help. But, well, she did, and it's technically not her fault that they're BOTH running for their lives now...
- Comments: It has an interesting premise and the crossover elements are very well handled. The author has done an excellent job of merging the different magic systems.
by MASULAO MAXIMUM.
Lyrics Of Sorrow
by LoneWolf218. TV Tropes page
Mado Nano Crossover
- Recommended by: SAMAS, CRBWildcat
- Synopsis: Nanoha's search for the Jewel Seeds has started attracting attention from the types of people interested in that kind of thing (blowing up a giant tree in the middle of town tends to do that). Because of that, one Soma Cruz has been dispatched to Uminari City. But Alucard is not the only entity interested in the Jewel Seeds...
by Bun150 (translated by Life4Kaoru)
Blood & Spirit
, by DezoPenguin
Mahou Shounen Enforcer Chrono
- Recommended by Comartemis, TaleArt, Diamond Edge, mindstalk
- Pairing: Suzuka/Arisa
- Synopsis: The feelings of those left behind can be as strong as those of the ones who pass into the future; Arisa and Suzuka are forced to come face to face with those feelings when Nanoha's world forces itself into theirs.
by James Ray Edwards (massive
- Recommended by Tropers/Extraintrovert, Guessmyname
- Pairing: Chrono/HAREM effect (or at least that's what the summary says)
- Synopsis: The story of Chrono The Blue Breaker, his rise through the military, his allies, enemies, family, friends and...other. Divided into four parts, a prologue and one part for each of the three seasons, although not even the first part has yet reached completion (despite already being over 110,000 words long).
by Nanya, co-written with RadiantBeam. (AU, TV Tropes page
- Recomended by Darksword, Night, Crazael, kknd2, Rampulus, DKN 117, Diamond Edge, Ten Four
- Pairing: Nanoha/Yuuno/Fate. Background pairings in Day in the Life include Subaru/Tea and hints of Shamal/Miyuki, Vice/Signum, Vivio/Lutecia, Arf/Zafira, Ginga/Wendi/Nove, and Rein/Agito
- Synopsis: A Crack Fic AU in which Nanoha tells her family that she has not one, but two lovers.
by RadiantBeam. (Slight AU)
Under The Table
- Recomended by Darksword, TaleArt
- Pairing: Vivio/Lutecia. Some Nanoha/Fate and Hayate/Verossa in the background.
- Synopsis: A series of little shorts that have as their primary focus the relationship of Vivio Takamachi and Lutecia Alphine.
by Enraptured, and Pink On Blonde
Someone for Everyone
- Recommended by DKN 117, Ten Four, Epic Fighting Troper
- Pairing: Nanoha/Fate (Under The Table), Signum/Shamal (Pink On Blonde)
- Synopsis: Two stories, tied together. Under The Table shows a funny little interaction between Nanoha & Fate during a meeting, as well as the aftermath conversation between Fate and Signum. Pink On Blonde shows a peek at Signum and Shamal's end of the story.
by TheShinySword (Receives more frequent updates on the Animesuki Nanoha Fanfiction Thread)
- Recommended by Tropers/Nanya, Guessmyname, Darksword, TaleArt, S Noble Jr
- Pairings: Jail/OC, some burgeoning Nove/Wendi
- Synopsis: Jail Scagiletti decides to go out shopping one day and meets a cashier that causes strange feelings in him. A humorous AU that throws StrikerS canon out the window and runs away.
- Recommended by Marq FJA, Diamond Edge, Epic Fighting Troper
- Pairing(s): Nanoha x Everyonenote
- Synopsis: Post-StrikerS. Nanoha has a relationship problem, and seeks the help of a psychologist. But it's not your normal brand of relationship problems, and for Nanoha, that means taking it Up to Eleven and beyond.
, by Person With Many Aliases
Das Resultat sagt Alles
- Recommended by Comartemis
- Pairings: Caro/Erio
- Synopsis: At the magical age of Fifteen, one tends to notice things never noticed before, such as "Caro's really hot."
by Shio Nagi (translated by nanofate.us)
- Recommended by gargargarrick
- Pairing(s): Nanoha/Fate
- Synopsis: A fantasy Alternate Universe Fic with Nanoha as a princess and Fate as a knight who apparently betrayed and killed her. However, the unnamed narrator (some 500 years later) finds a letter from the traitorous knight to the princess, and realizes that their relationship was a bit more complex than what's recorded in most histories.