Characters: West Side Story
open/close all folders
TonyFormer joint-leader of the Jets, gone straight. Riff's best friend.
- Anti-Hero: While he's the hero, he has a shady past as part of a gang, and commits a murder during the show, even if it's motivated by his best friends death.
- Expy: Of Romeo.
- The Hero
- Say My Name: "Mariaaaaa!"
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Maria.
- Token Good Teammate
MariaPuerto Rican ingenue; Bernardo's sister
- Expy: Of Juliet.
- The Ingenue
- Sanity Slippage: After Tony's death.
- Spared by the Adaptation: Unlike Juliet, she doesn't die along with her lover and gets to take over the Prince's role of delivering the final "The Reason You Suck" Speech to both sides.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Tony.
RiffQuick-tempered but zany leader of the Jets
- Expy: Of Mercutio
- A Father to His Men: He's hugely respected and admired by the rest of his gang.
- The Leader
- Sacrificial Lion: He dies during the duel with Bernardo.
Ice/ DieselSecond-in-command of the Jets. Ice was a character created for the movie, but has been adopted in later stage productions. Takes over as leader after Riff's death
- Ascended Extra: Has a few lines in the stage show and a decent amount of stage-time, but he's a lot more prominent in the movie to the point where he has what is effectively his own solo.
- The Big Guy
- Canon Immigrant: Originally was in the movie, but was popular enough to add in later theatre productions.
- The Lancer: To Riff after Tony left the gang.
- Token Good Teammate: Was not among the Jets who try Attempted Rape on Anita.
ActionThe most quick-tempered member of the Jets, always ready for a fight.
- Berserk Button: Don't insult his mother, or call him a hoodlum.
- Blood Knight: "In, out, let's get crackin'!"
- Dude, Where's My Reward?: When Riff decides that Tony is to be his lieutenant for the war council, as opposed to Action. Especially since Tony is rarely with the gang anymore.
- Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas: As evidenced by his reaction when Shrank taunts him about her being a prostitute.
- Expy: Of Sampson
- The Lancer: To Riff, especially in the stage show.
- Parental Issues: His mother is a prostitute.
A-RabSlightly less quick tempered than Action. Baby John's best friend
Baby JohnThe youngest Jet, who is beaten up during the opening sequence. A-Rab's best friend
- Expy: Of Benvolio
- Token Good Teammate: As the most naive and inexperienced of the gang, it's obvious he goes along with what they do mostly because he succumbs to peer pressure.
GraziellaRiff's girlfriend (Ice / Diesel's girlfriend in some productions)
VelmaIce's girlfriend (Riff's girlfriend in some productions)
MinnieBaby John's girlfriend
AnybodysA tagalong tomboy, eventually accepted into the gang after Riff's death (falls in love with Action in some smaller productions)
- Expy: Of Balthazar
BernardoMaria's brother, leader of the Sharks
ChinoMaria's hot-tempered suitor, Bernardo's best friend. Kills Tony.
- Alternative Character Interpretation: Questionable as to whether his motive to kill Tony is driven by the latter's relationship with Maria, Tony's murder of Chino's best friend Bernardo, or a mixture of both. Can depend on the production.
- Anti-Villain: To an extent. While he spends the second act trying to kill Tony, he's got an understandable motive in that Tony has murdered his best friend and is in a relationship with his fiancee.
- Expy: Of Paris
PepeSecond-in-command of the Sharks
- Mandatory Line: Literally speaks one word in the entire stage show.
AnitaSaucy friend of Maria and girlfriend of Bernardo.
RosaliaArgues with Anita in "America"; Indio's girlfriend
Officer KrupkeAn aggressive but inept cop
DocA weary old candy store owner
- Expy: Of Friar Laurence
- Intergenerational Friendship: With Tony. Tony works for him, but it's also clear that they're buddies.
- Only Sane Man
Glad HandThe inept chaperone at the dance
Detective SchrankA racist police lieutenant
- Bad Cop/Incompetent Cop
- The Bad Guys Are Cops
- Dirty Cop: More than willing to deliver a beating to the gang members if they don't stop their fighting.
- Expy: Prince Escalus
- Jerkass Has a Point: As much as he's a corrupt racist, he has a point regarding the fact that the gang conflict will negatively impact his own career.
- Politically Incorrect Villain: Displays racism towards the Sharks.
- Rabid Cop