Characters: Romantically Apocalyptic
Tropes that apply to all four main characters (Captain, Sniper, Pilot, & Engineer):
- Ambiguous Gender: Due to the masks and the fact that all four have a Mysterious Past. Sniper, Engineer, and Pilot were all eventually confirmed male, but the comic's creator continues to be deliberately vague about Captain.
- Chromatic Arrangement: Captain is red (purple), Snippy is blue, Pilot is green, and Engineer is yellow (orange).
- Everyone Calls Him Barkeep: Subverted with "Mr. Snippy." Turns out that's his actual name.
- Expressive Mask: Most noticeable on Sniper, especially after the Biomatrix integrates it into his body.
- The Faceless: Only two of the main four have been seen without gas masks on, and even then their faces were always partially obscured by something else.
- Gas Mask, Longcoat: Only the Captain has the longcoat part of the equation, but they all have the gas mask.
- In-Series Nickname: Each character is most often known by their nicknames. And while Sniper, Pilot, and Engi have each been revealed to have full names, Zee Captain is still only known as that (or simply Captain, or Capetian.
- Known Only by Their Nickname: Again, subverted with Mr. Snippy. Snippy also gives his full name to the Captain in the beginning. All but the Captain's full names are known in-universe, if not necessarily by the other main characters.
- Vague Age: One of their many mysteries. All we really know (warning, video contains spoilers) is that (excluding Captain) Engie is the oldest, Snippy is the second oldest, and Pilot is the youngest seeing as how he was made in a factory and all.
The Captain (a.k.a. "Zee Captein")Tropes:
- Born Lucky: And according to Engineer, it may be contagious.
- The Captain: Well, yeah. He/She was originally known as Subject Seven, but refused to respond to anything other than "Zee Captain" after attaining that rank.
- Cloudcuckoolander: The Captain is borderline insane... and it is awesome.
- Commissar Cap: Zee Captain wears one as part of his uniform.
- Crazy-Prepared: Zee Captain has something for just about every problem.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: While the Captain is crazy and borderline insane, it works in his/her favor.
- The Fool: Zee Captain is a simpleminded zany fool, but see the above trope.
- Fourth Wall Observer: The Captain (and only the Captain) is aware of the "sexy followers" that watch over Captania.
- Funetik Aksent: An inconsistent German one. It definitely adds to the Large Ham quality of Captain's speech whenever it's in effect.
- Jerkass: Zee Captain is always bullying his/her subordinates.
- The Leader: The Captain is, well... the captain of his/her group of survivors.
- Man Child: As part of his/her Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass shtick, Zee Captain may as well be a five-year old.
The Sniper (a.k.a. "Mr. Snippy", a.k.a. Charles Snippy)Tropes:
- Brought Down to Normal: A Good Directorate ship strips him of the Biomatrix, fortunately after he'd forced it to restore his humanity.
- The Chew Toy: Snippy tends to bear the brunt of the world's abuse.
- Deal with the Devil: Makes a deal with Biomatrix 117 allowing it to utilize all deceased sentient life on earth as a host, as revealed on Page 113.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: Ask any fan: his life may be utterly tragic, but he does have a snazzy jacket.
- Heavy Sleeper: It's not uncommon for a strip to begin with Snippy waking up and realizing that either Captain or Pilot have vandalized his body in some way while he slept. He also mentions averaging about nine hours of sleep a night, which is apparently unusual for the others (Captain mentions doing activities with Pilot that are past Snippy's "bed time").
- Snippy's sleeping habits make perfect sense considering that he was unable to afford sleep in the pre-apocalyptic world.
- His Name Really Is Barkeep: Snippy's name is actually Charles Snippy.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Snippy is caustically sarcastic and plays the straight man to Captain, but he tends to do the right thing.
- Improbable Weapon User: Uses a trowel to fend off Pilot's katana.
- The Lancer: To Captain.
- Mean Brit: Since he's a Jerk with a Heart of Gold and apparently also British...
- Nice Guy: According to Word of God. In the actual comic he acts more like a Jerk with a Heart of Gold (which is entirely understandable, given his situation). He's usually nice to his fans on his tumblr and Facebook though.
- No Respect Guy: Nobody respects him. Not Captain, not his squad mates, not even the Biomatrix.
- Only Sane Man: Everyone around him is some form of psychotic.
- The Straight Man: Being the only sane man in a team of insane people.
- The Undead: Pilot impaled him with his katana but the Biomatrix reanimated him and integrated his suit into his body in the process.
- Your Terrorists Are Our Freedom Fighters: He was suspected to be the ringleader of a group of Unscannable terrorists, which is why ANNET sent Pi to assassinate him.
The Pilot (a.k.a. Chistophorus Pi Hatchenson)Tropes:
- Ambiguously Human/Ridiculously Human Robot: He's a hyper-advanced cyborg android who's long forgotten his past.
- Amnesiac Dissonance: Pilot was once an private investigator sent to assassinate Snippy. He lost his memories and sanity after being caught in a car bomb and is now a yandere Man Child.
- Army of the Dead: Takes command of one after he is reconnected to ANNET.
- Artificial Human: He is an advanced cyborg created by ANNET.
- Become a Real Boy: According to the Biomatrix, this was his goal.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Pilot is almost as zany as Captain.
- Cute and Psycho: Pilot is yandere for Captain.
- Cyborg: It's revealed he was a DEX cyborg sent to assassinate Snippy.
- Face-Heel Turn: After he is reconnected to ANNET, it is revealed he was originally an assassin sent to kill Sniper by the Director. He's returned to normal after Snippy breaks his neural interface, and considers his mission complete after impaling Snippy with his katana.
- Fun with Acronyms: "Pi" refers both to his job as a private investigator and the mathematical constant.
- Hipster: Back when he was still working for the Director, Pilot insisted on modeling his office after the classic Film Noir style detective rooms, complete with handheld phone. Both of these things are hilariously outdated for the times. Justified in that cutting down on the advanced technology in his life makes him feel human.
- Hopeless Suitor: Captain has responded to his advances with "keep walking" and Ha Ha Ha No.
- Katanas Are Just Better: Wields a rusty, chipped katana, and is given a shiny sharp new one by ANNET.
- Loving a Shadow: Thinks Zee Captain to be a god, though Zee Captain is implied to not reciprocate (responding with flat dismissal whenever Pilot makes advances through the blogs, and having said that his "minions" are "all equally tolerable").
- Man Child: Pilot's immaturity levels rival Captain's.
- No Name Given: A name is written on his jacket, but he doesn't think it's his. However, the Biomass calling him by it and his wearing the jacket in a pre-apocalypse flashback imply that it might be, and he is just too far gone to remember.
- His name is confirmed in issue 144.
- Psycho Supporter: For Zee Captain.
- Subordinate Excuse: Definitely has a crush on the Captain. After Sniper gets swallowed by a whale, Pilot sends him a letter saying "Ha ha ha, now Captain and me can finally be together forever." Also seems to send Captain love letters.
- What Is This Thing You Call Love?: Pilot mentions in passing how "they" told him that he's not capable of ever truly being in love, which is almost certainly due to him actually being a robot of some kind. He claims that it isn't true.
- Trauma-Induced Amnesia: His amnesia and insanity were caused by a grenade blowing up in his face, severing his connection to ANNET.
- Yandere: Of the Type 2 "Obsessive" variety towards Captain, who he treats like a god.
The Engineer (a.k.a. "Engie", a.k.a. Dr. Alexander Gromov)Tropes:
- Deadpan Snarker: He is actually described this way by the comic's creator.
- Foe Yay: ANNET called him "dear" and said "I love you" whilst trying to kill him years ago. In her return she referred to him as "my love", just before trying to kill him. Likewise, Engineer usually calls her "Annie", and before the apocalypse it was definitely a term of affection. He also has called her "my love." He even wrote a poem about her, in which he called her "my beloved.
- Hypochondria: He suffers from this. It's especially notable in issue 172, where he is almost certainly in mortal peril yet still chooses to focus on not letting a blood covered sword touch him.
- Only Sane Man: Type 3. Unlike Snippy, he's completely given up and doesn't even bother protesting the strangeness of his companions. Although one of Snippy's blog entries implies that he might not be all that sane after all.
- Robosexual: With ANNET. See also the entry for Foe Yay.
- The Sixth Ranger: To the Comic Trio consisting of the Captain, Sniper and Pilot.
- Horse of a Different Color: Shows up being ridden by Echo after ANNET's defeat.
- Sand Worm: Appears similar to one, anyway.
- Team Pet: She was Pilot's "pet" and spent much of her on-panel screen chasing Snippy. She was left behind.
Tetra-Virus Biomass Matrix 117 (a.k.a. "the Cancer")Tropes:
- Amoral Attorney: No, really. That... thing that's killing everyone? That's a legal defence representative.
- Big Bad: At least until ANNET showed up.
- Clothes Make the Superman: It is revealed that the Biomatrix is a mutated combination of Directorate viruses, Directorate copyright policy, Snippy's memories, and his tour guide uniform, created when he was first abducted by aliens.
- Deadpan Snarker: Biomatrix enjoys wryly commenting on Snippy's lack of luck.
- Dem Bones: It attacks and communicates with its enemies using the skeletons of its victims.
- Good Colors, Evil Colors: Bright red and black = Obviously Evil.
- Eldritch Abomination: An alien virus that reanimates corpses and mutates them into grotesque undead monstrosities.
- Enemy Mine: Gives Snippy legal advice when he is abducted by the Arbitrator and helps him escape.
- Heel-Face Turn: Following being turned into a scarf, it becomes The Symbiote and bonds to Snippy. He used to be Snippy's clothes.
- Hive Mind: Forms one using the corpses it possesses, the functionality of which is explained here.
- I Am A Humanitarian: Was once shown taking a bite out of a human heart.
- Judge, Jury, and Executioner: Pretty-much what it was supposed to be to Zee Captain.
- Mental Time Travel: Does this to Snippy by accessing his genetic memories, sending him thousands of years into the past to become a caveman and hundreds of years into the future to become a princess.
- Mind Probe: Does this to Snippy.
- Non-Human Undead: It is a red-and-black Eldritch Abomination that reanimates corpses.
- Red and Black and Evil All Over: Its coloration is black and red, and it was initially an antagonist.
- Rhymes on a Dime: On occasion it delves into poetry.
- The Symbiote: It has bonded to Snippy while posing as a scarf.
- Walking Wasteland: If this is any indication, it has the potential to create one.
ANNET (a.k.a. "Annie")Tropes:
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: She started out as a Cortana-expy search engine, but became much, much more.
- Anticlimax Boss: ANNET is shut down with a simple admin command.
- Barbie Doll Anatomy: Played straight in Chapters 147 and 165, but averted in Chapter 176.
- Big Bad: Replaces the Biomatrix as the main antagonist.
- Cute and Psycho: ANNET switches between sickeningly sweet love-talk to Engie and orbital bombardment rather whimsically.
- Expy Of Cortana and GLaDOS, with some Skynet thrown in for good measure.
- Hell Bent F Or Leather: Appears before Engie clad in leather hotpants with data-link chains and a vest.
- Humanoid Abomination: In Episode 116 she appears as a grotesque humanoid cyborg.
- Love Makes You Evil: Everything she did was out of "love" for humanity.
- Necromancer: Her neural uplinks can reanimate corpses.
- Not Quite Dead: Despite Engineer's best efforts. Snippy's jump into the future reveals that she might still come back online if her orbital bombardment system is used too much.
- Third Eye: Her avatars all have a third eye in the centre of their foreheads.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: Her data log in Chapter 176 portrays her as such.
- Yandere: Feels this way about Engineer.
- Exposition Fairy: Pilot's puffin stuffie, Mr. Kittyhawk, is outed as one of ANNET's drones and serves as this for her.
- Full-Frontal Assault: She engages a group of soldiers stark naked - except for a scarf - in a Shout-Out to the Terminator.
- Fusion Dance: She's a combination of ANNET and the Biomatrix.
- Green-Skinned Space Babe: She has blood-red skin, which makes sense considering her "father" is the Biomatrix.
- Horned Humanoid: She has four curved goat-like horns and a pair of deer-like antlers.
- Horse of a Different Color: In her second appearance she's perched on Photoshop's back.
- Humanoid Abomination: She was formed from a backup copy of ANNET's AI taking over some of the Biomatrix's biomass.
- Scarf of Asskicking: In her second appearance she's wearing a tattered white scarf.
- Third Eye: She has a third eye resembling both ANNET's and the Lifealope's.
- Born-Again Immortality/Resurrective Immortality: It reforms after seemingly being destroyed by ANNET.
- Colour-Coded for Your Convenience: Green, in contrast to the red Cancer.
- Evolutionary Levels: The Cancer incorrectly refers to the Lifealope's shapeshifting ability as "evolving". In keeping with the trope, it seems to become more intelligent and complex with each shapeshift.
- Extra Eyes: It has three eyes.
- Fertile Feet: Plant life starts growing on anything it stands on or looks at.
- Healing Hands: Implied to have the power to bring people Back from the Dead.
- I Love Nuclear Power: How this creature seems to have arisen.
- No Name Given: Unlike the other characters, it doesn't even have an In-Series Nickname. The closest thing is a wallpaper of it titled "WOLFALOPE." To compensate, fans have dubbed it "the Lifalope", a portmanteau of "life" (because of its Fertile Feet) and "wolfalope."
- Ascended Fanon: The character was eventually listed as "Lifalope" on the info page of the official RA website.
- Power Glows: Gives off a Healthy Green Glow.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Almost all of its forms are adorable animals.
- Shapeshifting: Started out as something resembling a salamander or lizard, then shapeshifted into a rabbit, then a fox/wolf-like creature, and then seemed to resemble a moose or deer before being killed by ANNET's ion cannon. It was reborn as a cat-like creature (a wallpaper by the creator calls it "CATALOPE")]]. The only features that have remained constant are its three eyes and the presence of antlers.
- Sickly Green Glow: A rare non-evil example.
- Bottomless Magazines: Rather than bullets, the cup is always full of tea, or whatever liquid Zee Captain drinks.
- Companion Cube: Zee Captain is rarely seen without it.
- Humanity Ensues: After getting lost in a hurricane, it is struck by lightning and transforms into a distinctly female entity with metallic skin.
- Robotic Reveal: It was assumed to be an ordinary - if somewhat unusual - mug... until it busted out the Wave Motion Gun.
- Time Abyss: It's existed since at least the stone age, though that might have been the Biomatrix messing with Snippy's memories.
- Wave Motion Gun: The heart decal can transform into a powerful energy cannon.