Hebi ("Snake") is the group that Sasuke forms when he's looking to exact his revenge against Itachi. They only appear post Time Skip. After Itachi's death, Sasuke renames the group Taka ("Hawk/Eagle") and they join forces with the remainder of the Akatsuki.Although their team was originally one of necessity, they all came to respect each other as teammates and even risked their lives to protect one another as time went on, reminding Sasuke of Team 7. However, as Sasuke became more corrupt and focused in his revenge against Konoha, he abandoned Jugo and Suigetsu and, when Karin was taken hostage, he critically wounded her, and also tried to kill her to avoid any trouble with her. Karin was saved by Sasuke's former teammates of Team Kakashi and taken back to Konoha as a prisoner-of-war. While Karin states that she was finished with Sasuke and tries to escape from the Konoha prison, Jūgo and Suigetsu, not knowing what Sasuke did and tried to do to Karin, reunited with Sasuke and decided to assist him in determining if revenge or protecting Konoha was his true purpose. They were later met with Karin in Konoha, and she decided to rejoin them regardless of everything that happened in the past.Upon Sasuke's decision to protect Konoha, everyone, including a recently restored Orochimaru, participated in the Fourth Shinobi World War and sided with the Allied Shinobi Forces. After the war, Taka permanently dissolved; Sasuke returned to Konoha and left for a journey of atonement, as well as having a family of his own, while the others returned to Orochimaru's hideout to work as his assistants.Here be spoilers. Any thing that has not been aired on the free versionnote of Crunchyroll should be spoiler-tagged.
open/close all folders
Hebi/Taka as a whole provide examples of...
- Hair-Contrast Duo: Sasuke and Suigetsu.
- Removed from the Picture: In a variation of this trope, Sakura had a photo of Team Taka and made a picture frame so it would look like it was a photo of only her and Sasuke. She didn't cut the photo, but Suigetsu, Jugo and Karin were covered up.
- Satellite Character: They seldom interact with any character outside Sasuke himself, and whenever they’re not with him, they’re out searching for him.
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: If one looks at Hebi as a replacement Sasuke made for Team 7, then:
- Suigetsu is Naruto: rude and aggressive, treats Sasuke as a rival, and has an element that is strong against one of Sasuke's elements while weak against the other one.
- Karin is Sakura: as the smart girl with some combat ability that nonetheless pales next to her monstrous teammates.
- Jugo is Kakashi: normally laid back and even tempered, but with a dangerous side.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: There's no mention of what happened to any of them after the War. They appear again in ''Naruto Gaiden' as Orochimaru's subordinates.
Voiced by: Takashi Kondo (JP), Grant George (EN)
- The weapon of the Seven Ninja Swordsmen has been handed down, generation to generation, it's the tradition. And... all these years I've trained, I've only done it out of reverence for the Seven Ninja. So long as I have this sword, not even you can touch me... maybe.
A former ninja from the prominent Hozuki family of Water Country. He wanted to join his brother Mangetsu as a member of the Seven Swordsmen of the Mist, but this was cut short when Mangetsu died and Suigetsu himself was captured by Orochimaru to be used for experiments.
His hobby is looking after his beloved sword.
Favorite phrase: "The lower overcoming the higher"
- Ambiguously Gay: One of his first scenes consists of him getting right up behind Sasuke while stark naked while playfully pointing a Finger Gun at his head to test his reaction.
- Ax-Crazy: He has openly admitted (in an over-the-top manner) that he likes cutting things.
- BFS: Mainly uses Zabuza's sword, and has trained to use the other Seven Mist Swordsmen's blades. In something of a subversion, carrying it around does tire him out some.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Karin. He loves riling her up, provoking violent reactions from her (none of which he returns himself), all with a toothy smile on his face. Out of everyone on the team, the two have the most interactions with each other, and years later they are still working side by side. Most notably, during the Fourth Shinobi World War, Suigetsu was the first to defend Karin when she was impaled, using his Finger Gun to blow the head off her attacker. The BST is made more apparent in Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2, when Suigetsu says Karin is "kind of cute".
- Blob Monster: Able to resist some attacks by turning into water.
- Blood Knight: Though while working with Sasuke he wasn't allowed to kill anyone (he ignored this several times when Sasuke wasn't looking). Then complains when Sasuke breaks his own rule.
- Butt-Monkey: He gets the snot beat out of him by Karin regularly likely due to being Nigh Invulnerable.
- Characterization Marches On: He's been portrayed as much more of a coward in recent chapters. Justified considering the people that he's around, and the fact that he has no longer has a weapon.
- Cute Little Fangs: His upper left canine sticks out his closed mouth.
- Dirty Coward: He's terrified of people higher then him in the Super Weight Scale, most notably Orochimaru.
- Dressing as the Enemy: Tries this to escape from the samurai. It fails.
- Elemental Shapeshifter: Suigetsu can transform his body into water.
- Everyone Has Standards: In Naruto Gaiden, when Sarada shares with him her suspicions that Karin is her real mother instead of Sakura, he freaks out and exclaims that Sasuke would be a complete scumbag if that were true. Although, after some thought, he doesn't rule out the possibility that Karin put the moves on Sasuke. Then, he helps Sarada find out the truth.
- Finger Gun: Makes the gesture at Sasuke when threatening him. One of his clan's signature techniques is to fire a water bullet from a Finger Gun; in fact, he ends up doing so against Spiral Zetsu.
- Giant Wall of Watery Doom: He can turn into one which is powerful enough a technique to get physical with a tailed beast!
- Gotta Catch Them All: Wants to be one of the Seven Swordsmen Of The Mist. In order to achieve that goal, he wants to collect all their swords, and allies with Sasuke to go after Itachi's partner Kisame, who has one of those swords.
- Growing Muscles Sequence: He can expand the muscles in his arms to increase the power behind his sword strikes.
- Jerk Ass: He's a total dick to everyone who he knows won't respond with violence.
- The Lancer / The Dragon: Depending on whether your consider it a Five-Man Band or Five-Bad Band.
- Making a Splash: Controls mainly water-based techniques.
- Magic Pants: His clothes seems to change into water and back with the rest of his body, though when he fuses with a large body of water his clothes seem to just dissolve.
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family: Like the Seven Swordsmen of the Mist, all his teeth are pointed like a shark's.
- Mr. Fanservice; Especially when he's bulked up.
- Naked on Arrival: He's naked when Sasuke frees him from a vat in Orochimaru's lab (though he was completely transformed into water while he was inside it).
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: In Naruto Gaiden. Turns out that picking a random object from someone's desk and assuming it belongs to them is huge mistake. Who'd have thought? Karin chews him out and says he has to apologize to Sarada for the pain he put her through.
- Odd Friendship: He develops one with Jugo.
- Oh, Crap!: When Sasuke revives Orochimaru.
- An even bigger one occurs when Hashirama releases ridiculous amount of chakra to supress his brother. Suigetsu starts to melt due to sheer fear.
- Only Sane Man: Only when it comes to some of the more dangerous things Sasuke suggests. Nicely contrasts Jugo, who always goes along with Sasuke's plans, and Karin, who protests a bit, but generally in a less amusing manner. Case in point: reviving Orochimaru? Terrible idea. Joining the War along with four superpowered zombies? Even worse idea.
- In something of a subversion, every plan he objected to because it violated all common sense ended up saving the world.
- Our Mermaids Are Different: Has turned his lower half into a fish tail.
- Psychotic Smirk: His default facial expression.
- Put on a Bus: Along with Juugo after the fight with the Raikage. Returns briefly alongside him as they make their escape- none the wiser to the magnificent nightmare that occurred with their other two teammates.
- The Rival: To some degree with Sasuke.
- Sempai/Kohai: Refers to Kisame and Zabuza as "sempai" but whether it's sarcastic or not is up for debate.
- The Southpaw: Most emphasized when he uses his Great Water Arm Technique.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: With Karin.
- White Hair, Black Heart: Although it's more of a pale blue.
Voiced by: Kanako Tojo (JP), Ali Hillis (EN)
- As long as Sasuke is happy, that's all I care about. Besides, we women have a certain camaraderie between us you wouldn't understand.
Only female in Hebi. She has long since been a subordinate to Orochimaru and has been both an experimenter and an experimentee in his Mad Scientist ventures. She has a very powerful chakra-sensing ability. She is in love with Sasuke, but rude to everyone else. She was rescued by Sasuke long ago in the Chunin Exams, which sparked the love interest. She is not shown to be much of a combatant until Sasuke's near-death during the Fourth Shinobi World War, but she can heal others by having them bite her, and survives a multi-Kage fight primarily by dodging. She is a former genin from the Hidden Village of Grass, and one of the scattered remnants of the Uzumaki Clan. After Sasuke betrays her during his fight with Danzo, she is taken by Team 7 to Konoha. She is questioned by the Interrogation Squad, bawling her eyes out over the recent events in order to manipulate her interrogators, but Ibiki prevented his less-than-hardy subordinates from playing the sympathy card for her. Karin cooperated fairly well nevertheless (after several demands of her own), but because of her criminal association, she was placed in a holding cell so the Leaf could keep an eye on her. Karin then feigned a fit towards Sasuke that ping-ponged between rage towards the betrayal and fawning over him. It was all a ruse to throw off her guards from noticing her real intentions- using a hidden razor file in the stem of her glasses to reach the lock-picking set in the picture of Sasuke she carried with her, presumably for situations such as this.Despite her anger at Sasuke's betrayal, she forgives him as soon as he apologizes and helps Team Taka in the Fourth Shinobi World War. During the war, Karin awakens her true abilities as an Uzumaki member and is able to utilize the same chains that made Kushina so famous.Years later, Karin's presence is brought into focus again during the Naruto Gaiden, when Sasuke's daughter, Sarada, questions whether Karin is her biological mother or not. It turns out she's not, and rather was the midwife who helped deliver Sarada when she was an infant; as such, Karin holds a soft spot for the child. She has also given up on pursuing Sasuke, noting that his happiness is more important.
Her hobby is collecting perfumes.
Favorite phrase: "A woman's desire can pass even through rock"
- Abhorrent Admirer: Played With. She isn't exactly unattractive (even though Fanon would often describe her as such) but her eagerness to get in Sasuke's pants and his somewhat oblivious reaction towards her propositions may make her one of these to some fans.
- Action Girl: Took her a long time to show it, but as she rushed to heal the mortally wounded Sasuke, she demonstrated that she does have some fighting abilities similar to those of Kushina Uzumaki.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Begins devoted to Sasuke. Deconstructed when she almost dies at Sasuke's hands. Reality Ensues... and then things get complicated.
- Anime Hair: It's long and straight on one side, but short and wild on the other. Her hair is obviously symbolic, referencing her Mood-Swinger nature.
- Bare Your Midriff: Note that her vest has exactly the same shape in the back, though it's far less noticeable and rarely shows skin unless she's moving in a way that lifts the flaps.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: In spite of her crush on Sasuke, she has this with Suigetsu. Most of her interactions in the series are with him, and usually involve him pushing her buttons, her punching him and making his face splash everywhere, and repeat. While she pretends to hate him, she worriedly asks Sasuke where he and Juugo are during the Kage Summit Arc, and years later they're still seen working side by side. In Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2, Suigetsu teases her that she's "kind of cute".
- Big Damn Heroes: She saved the Five Kage from the point of death.
- The way she heals Tsunade not only fixes the damage caused by Madara, but also visibly reduces her age in the process, something Tsunade herself couldn't do, resorting to genjutsu instead.
- Later, she aided the alliance in an epic fashion by stopping the statue which was curbstomping them with the Eleventh Hour Super Power she just awoke for the sake of saving Sasuke.
- Blind Without 'Em: Like so many Meganekko. It's shown in a flashback that she has severe myopia.
- Boring, but Practical: She practically embodies this trope. Sensing the location of whoever she wants isn't flashy or powerful, but it's pretty damn useful. Too bad "useful" doesn't equal "indispensable".
- Chain Pain: She can summon the same chakra chains as her distant relative Kushina.
- Covered with Scars: Her arms, shoulders, and even her chest are covered in scars from people biting her.
- Curtains Match the Window: Red hair, red eyes.
- Dark Chick: She's the Chick in a team where two members are Ax-Crazy and the leader is obsessed with revenge.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Good lord, Episode 431 is this for Karin. Though a filler episode, it portrays Karin's earliest days before she met Orochimaru and Sasuke and let's just say meeting these two was a good thing.
- To go into more detail: Karin used to live with her mother in the Land of Grass. The people there abused Karin's mother and her ability to heal people by biting her body and sucking on her chakra. The constant battles eventually took a toll on the poor woman and she passed away, leaving her daughter alone and vulnerable to her abusers. The assholes then resorted to constantly biting Karin and causing her never-ending pain, resembling zombies devouring a victim; Karin's screams and the imagery portrayed in that episode makes it one of the darkest ever in Naruto's anime history. She would've continued living that hell if not for being saved by Orochimaru, who at least respected her abilities and treated her like a human being. Yes, Orochimaru was the decent character in this episode.
- Important to note: this backstory differs greatly from the one for the manga, given by Kishimoto in the Databooks. Her manga backstory is still tragic, but not in quite the same way. Her entire village was destroyed, and no one else survived because they didn't believe her about the oncoming army, at which point Orochimaru showed up in the debris to convince her to come with him. She agreed because she recognized Sasuke.
- Detect Evil: She is capable of sensing if someone's chakra is "warm" (good) or "cold" (evil).
- Did Not Get the Girl: Or rather, guy. In the epilogue, Sasuke marries Sakura, though Karin seems to be alright with this since she says that all she wants is Sasuke's happiness, and forms a friendship with Sakura. She becomes their daughter's midwife.
- Easily Forgiven: Played With. Though she claims not to forgive Sasuke, she clearly takes his apology to heart, which is partially explained by the sincere language the line is originally in, and partially by the fact that she would be able to sense if he were lying or being half-hearted, considering her own abilities. She doesn't seem to have forgiven him completely, but her feelings are clearly still very strong.
- Empathic Healer: She can heal by allowing an ally to bite her and drain her chakra, causing her pain and draining her energy. Kabuto later implies this ability to be due to the unnatural vigor in the Uzumaki's life-giving chakra combined with Orochimaru's experimentation.
- Evil Redhead: This depends on if you count Hebi/Taka as "evil" or not; she is certainly not on the protagonists' side, but she is rarely worse than an Anti-Hero.
- Fiery Redhead: She's very easy to provoke and extremely quick to anger, something Suigetsu regularly exploits for his amusement.
- The Force Is Strong with This One: She can feel the amount of chakra people have.
- Foreshadowing: Her red hair, like Kushina's and Nagato's, is what helps mark her as a member of the Uzumaki clan.
- The Glasses Gotta Go: Pulls off her glasses whenever she flirts with Sasuke.
- Hair Color Spoiler: The red color is a trademark of the Uzumaki clan.
- Hartman Hips: If some official pictures with an obvious Male Gaze are to be believed.
- Healing Factor: Her natural vitality and life-giving chakra was amplified to Good Thing You Can Heal levels from Kabuto and Orochimaru's experimentation.
- Hidden Supplies: She keeps a blade hidden in her glasses and a set of lockpicks in a picture frame, which brings to mind questions as to what exactly happened to make her believe that such precautions were necessary. It could possibly be pragmatism coming from working as a jail warden, in case she was ever imprisoned by her own inmates.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: She eventually stopped pursuing Sasuke as he got together with Sakura. She flat out says she just wants him to be happy at the end of Naruto Gaiden.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Twice.
- First by Sasuke's Chidori, during the Danzo fight.
- The second time was by a wood spike Spiral Zetsu threw at her. She shook it off and healed herself.
- Insufferable Genius: Has light shades of this.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Karin is argumentative, volatile, and borderline unstable, but she isn't really a bad person. Naruto Gaiden, especially, shows her to have mellowed and matured significantly with age, having formed a trusting friendship with Sakura and become a sort of odd, unseen aunt to Sarada.
- Living Lie Detector: Can sense people's chakra being disturbed if they lie.
- Looks Like She Is Enjoying It: Her special healing ability requires for the person who she wants to heal to bite her. Her facial expression while being bit is pretty...interesting to say the least, though only when Sasuke is the one doing the biting. Whilst healing Tsunade, her expression is uncomfortable and worried, rather than blushing the way it is when Sasuke bites her. Of course, the anime cranks this trope Up to Eleven.
- Mad Love: Sasuke apologizes and she's back to risking her life for him.
- Slightly justified in that particular instance: given her sensor abilities, she would have known if he was lying or being insincere. Clearly, he wasn't.
- Major Injury Underreaction: Got Impaled with Extreme Prejudice and had your insides skewered in a way that killed a popular secondary character a few dozen chapters before? Big deal! Just heal yourself and keep going for the man you love.
- Male Gaze: In a similar fashion to Sakura. They both have a small chest, so fanservicey manga pictures focus on their lower halves instead.
- Meganekko: Subverted. Played straight when she was younger, from what we got to see.
- Mood-Swinger: Karin's moods depend primarily on whatever her surroundings are, so if the situation changes, her mood does a 180. Also Played With while she's in a Konoha prison: she acts like one so that the guards underestimate her and don't notice the lock picks she hid in a picture of Sasuke.
- Ms. Fanservice: She may not have large breasts or be showing a lot of skin (and for good reason), but she exhibits a number of the classic elements. See Male Gaze above.
- My Significance Sense Is Tingling: Her primary ability.
- Nerd Glasses: May or may not hide a tiny saw.
- Nigh Invulnerable: Courtesy of her healing factor, which may well be superior to Naruto's.
- Not So Different: Empathizes greatly with Sakura to the point of crying when Sakura does because she understands just how the other girl feels.
- Personal Space Invader: Occasionally one for Sasuke, but backs off when he asks her to.
- Put on a Bus: After she is taken into the Leaf's custody. She returns, along with the rest of Team Taka, to join the final stages of the War.
- Remember the New Guy: Is is revealed through flashbacks that Karin first met Sasuke during the Forest of Death portion of the Chunin Exams, in a scene that wasn't in the original arc.
- Rescue Romance: Sasuke saved her from a giant bear during the second part of the Chuunin examination. He doesn't necessarily remember; she definitely does.
- The Reveal: Karin is of Uzumaki descent.
- Satellite Character: Remove her relation to Sasuke and there isn't much left, despite having potential for an interesting backstory. Her status as an Uzumaki and history with Orochimaru add a little more.
- Scarily Competent Tracker: The greatest one in the series, which is why Sasuke sought her out.
- Shadow Archetype: For a long time, she seemed to have many of the flaws of pre-timeskip Sakura, if tempered by age. Like the latter, she also displays shades of Teen Genius.
- Single-Target Sexuality: Doesn't seem interested in anyone other than Sasuke...although she showed an interest in Naruto when she first met him.
- Smitten Teenage Girl: She's 16 years old, after all.
- Stalker With a Crush: She is massively attracted to Sasuke after he rescued her during the Chunin Exams, but this takes a sharp turn when Sasuke sacrifices her to kill Danzo. She later forgives him for this anyway.
- Super-Detailed Fight Narration: She is very keen when observing the abilities of other characters, and is able to figure out the secrets to Danzo's techniques.
- Support Party Member: She uses her sensory powers to discern the locations and nature of enemy techniques, and heals comrades.
- Teen Genius: Leads one of Orochimaru's lairs at only 16. She knows quite a bit more than most people about the Tailed-beasts. It's implied that she aided Orochimaru in some of his Mad Scientist ventures.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: With Suigetsu.
- The Bus Came Back: When Sasuke visits Konoha again.
- Took a Level in Badass: Awakens the ability to use chakra chains and beats a wooden statue that was single-handedly crushing the whole Ninja alliance. Then she tanks a giant wooden stake to the chest and promptly recovers just by biting herself.
- Tsundere: Tsuntsun towards everybody, including Sasuke, if there are other people around.
- Weak, but Skilled: She goes Action Girl on a few occasions, but is mostly a healer. After she starts using the same powers as Kushina Uzumaki, this trope is nullified.
- Woman Scorned: Averted. Naruto Gaiden shows that, despite having plenty of reasons to hate Sakura for "winning" Sasuke, the two of them are pretty good friends. Hell, she was even the midwife who delivered Sarada!
- Who Wears Short Shorts?: Perfect for Fanservice shots.
- Zettai Ryouiki: The rarer version with shorts.
Voiced by: Shuhei Sakaguchi (JP), Travis Willingham (EN)
- I won't let you die; you're a memento of Kimimaro.
Big guy whose personality flip-flops between Ax-Crazy and a really nice guy. The enzyme in Jugo's body causes his split personality by slowly accumulating natural energy constantly over time until it has to be released, at which point Jugo snaps into a violent frenzy. He once roamed the countryside destroying villages when he was consumed by his berserk rage, and willingly subjected himself to Orochimaru's human experimentation labs to look for a cure for his condition. He can talk to animals as well as transform his body. Orochimaru made his Cursed Seals by replicating an enzyme that Jugo's body produced. He gets captured by the samurai during the Kage Summit, but manages to break out of jail with Suigetsu.Later he goes on to aid Sasuke during the Fourth Shinobi World War, infusing his natural Sage Powers into Sasuke's Susanoo to give him the necessary boost to combat the Ten-Tails.Years after the war, Jugo goes back to working for Orochimaru. It is unknown if he ever got over his random psychotic episodes or if he stopped following Sasuke around.
His hobbies are forest bathing and playing with birds.
Favorite phrase: "Pure Samādhi"
- All-Encompassing Mantle: His default attire is one of these with no shirt underneath. It's actually a curtain; they couldn't find anything his size.
- Ax-Crazy: When his Superpowered Evil Side takes over, he will gleefully kill everyone around him. The beginning of Jugo's transformation (non-aesthetically) is a sudden urge to kill.
- Appendage Assimilation: In contrast to the below, he can also take flesh from others to heal himself, though so far he's kept it limited to people who were already dead.
- Badass Longcoat: When his team visits a family friend of Sasuke's, they try to find him a shirt. When they can't find any that fit, they instead give him a curtain to wear as a cloak.
- The Big Guy / The Brute: One of the tallest characters of the series (so much that he can hardly find clothing his size) and the muscle of Sasuke's team. He's a Gentle Giant while sane, but his evil side is very much the Brute.
- Black Eyes of Crazy/Supernatural Gold Eyes: Typically has at least one when berserk.
- Curtains Match the Window
- Dressing as the Enemy: Tries this to escape from the samurai. It fails.
- Evil Laugh/Laughing Mad: His psychopathic side, especially when he is in his fully transformed state.
- Gentle Giant: When he's not overcome by bloodlust, that is.
- In Harmony with Nature: Jugo's family is naturally in tune with natural chakra, which they are constantly absorbing. Unfortunately, this causes them to periodically transform into monstrous subhuman creatures with a personality to match.
- Jekyll & Hyde: His mood swings can be accurately described by this.
- Liquid Assets: He can heal people compatible with his cursed seal as well as drain the life-force of others to heal himself.
- Marked Change: When he activates his cursed genes assuming it hasn't just dyed his skin.
- Mr. Fanservice: He gets a lot of shirtless scens that show off his well-built body.
- Nature Is Not Nice: At least when natural chakra builds up the result isn't...
- Nice Guy: When his Superpowered Evil Side is not in control he seems to be a rather sweet, kind guy, possibly the nicest guy in the series.
- Odd Friendship: With Suigetsu.
- One-Winged Angel: Is able to transform with his special ability that was the source for the curse mark.
- Only Friend: Seems to have been this to Kimimaro, who was also his only friend due to being the one person who could subdue him - he closed himself off after Kimimaro's death until dedicating himself to Sasuke, who he views as his deceased friend's legacy.
- Only Sane Man: When he's not in his rage state, he's the lone decent, rational individual on a team led by an revenge-obsessed teenager that also contains an amoral Knife Nut and an extreme Mood-Swinger.
- Partial Transformation: He often transforms his arms into the cursed seal form to deliver a powerful punch or slash to his enemy.
- Put on a Bus: Along with Suigetsu after the fight with the Raikage. Returns in Chapter 567, though neither of them know what happened to their other two teammates...and probably shouldn't anyway...
- Shapeshifter Weapon: Can turn his body parts into things like giant piston arms, extendable appendages blades, shields and even a Jetpack or Wave Motion Gun.
- Sleep-Mode Size: He can give some of his flesh to heal someone who's compatible, but turns into a kid as a result. He can revert to his true age by taking someone else's flesh.
- Speaks Fluent Animal: Able to talk to and use animals.
- The Stoic: If not in his psychotic state.
- Super Empowering: Infuses Sasuke's Susanoo with his senjutsu, enabling it to enter Cursed Seal Mode.
- Superpowered Evil Side: His status as a Jobber can generally be dismissed as his unwillingness to hurt people, while he is said and shown to be able to do a LOT more damage when he gives in to his bloodlust.
- Token Evil Teammate: His Hyde personality.
- Token Good Teammate: Superpowered Evil Side aside, he's a Nice Guy who circumstances have more or less left him stuck with an Ax-Crazy Knife Nut, a revenge-obsessed teenager, and an volatile Mood-Swinger.
- Undying Loyalty: To Sasuke for being Kimimaro's legacy.
- When All You Have Is a Hammer...: He doesn't seem to possess any fighting ability that doesn't involve his shape-shifting abilities and there are implications he isn't even a trained shinobi at all.
- The Worf Effect: He can be considered his team's designated jobber, as he was quickly dispatched by Killer Bee offscreen, and both his upgraded form and Beam Spam were useless against the Raikage (granted, it appears that he wasn't expecting that to work, just for it to be a proper distraction).