Characters: Naruto - Taka
Back to the main character indexHebi ("Snake") is the group that Sasuke forms when he's looking to exact his revenge against Itachi. After Itachi's death, Sasuke renames the group Taka ("Hawk/Eagle") and they join forces with the remainder of the Akatsuki. They only appear post Time Skip.Here be spoilers. Any thing that has not been aired on the free versionnote of Crunchyroll should be spoiler-tagged.
All Taka members provide example of:
Something of A Blood Knight, as he was apparently some sort of prodigy for cutting off his opponent's limbs before beheading them, though apparently gets along with animals. Can transform into liquid to avoid damage. Takes Zabuza's sword, and wants to take Kisame's. His goal is evidently to take the swords of all the Swordsmen of the Mist in order to rebuild the group. He gets captured by the samurai at the Kage Summit, but he manages to break out of jail with Jugo.
All Taka members provide example of:
- Hair Contrast Duo: Sasuke and Suigetsu.
- Removed Fromthe Picture: In a variation of this trope, Sakura had a photo of Team Taka (minus Juugo) and made a picture frame so it would look like it was a photo of only her and Sasuke. She didn't cut the photo or risked their faces, but Suigetsu and Karin were both covered up.
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: If one looks at Hebi as a replacement Sasuke made for Team 7,
- Suigetsu is Naruto: rude and aggressive, treats Sasuke as a rival and has an element that is strong against one of Sasuke's elements while weak against the other one.
- Karin is Sakura, as she was when Sasuke knew her.
- Jugo is Kakashi: normally laid back and even tempered, but with a dangerous side.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: There's no mention of what happened to any of them after the War.
open/close all folders
- "The weapon of the Seven Ninja Swordsmen has been handed down, generation to generation, it's the tradition. And... all these years I've trained, I've only done it out of reverence for the Seven Ninja. So long as I have this sword, not even you can touch me... maybe."
His hobby is looking after his beloved sword.
Favorite phrase: "The lower overcoming the higher"
- Ambiguously Gay: One of his first scenes consists of him getting right up behind Sasuke while stark naked while playfully pointing a Finger Gun at his head to test his reaction.
- Ax-Crazy: Has shown tendencies towards this.
- He has openly admitted (in an over-the-top manner) that he likes cutting things.
- BFS: Mainly uses Zabuza's sword, and has trained to use the other Seven Mist Swordsmen's blades. In something of a subversion, carrying it around does tire him out some.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Karin. Made more apparent in Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 when he says she's "kind of cute".
- Blob Monster: Able to resist some attacks by turning into water.
- Blood Knight: Though while working with Sasuke he wasn't allowed to kill anyone (he ignored this several times when Sasuke wasn't looking). Then complains when Sasuke breaks his own rule.
- Butt Monkey: He gets the snot beat out of him by Karin regularly likely due to being Nigh Invulnerable.
- Characterization Marches On: He's been portrayed as much more of a coward in recent chapters. Justified considering the people that he's around, and the fact that he has no longer has a weapon.
- Cute Little Fangs
- Dirty Coward: He's terrified of people higher then him in the Super Weight Scale, most notably Orochimaru.
- Dressing as the Enemy: Tries this to escape from the samurai. It fails.
- Elemental Shapeshifter: Suigetsu can transform his body into water.
- Our Mermaids Are Different: Has turned his lower half into a fish tail.
- Even Evil Has Standards: He's an unrepentant mass-murderer, but does occasionally chastise Sasuke. Unfortunately, this seems to be more about Sasuke mistreating animals like Manda than his plans for violent revenge.
- Finger Gun: Makes the gesture at Sasuke when threatening him. One of his clan's signature techniques is to fire a water bullet from a Finger Gun; in fact, he ends up doing so against Spiral Zetsu.
- Gotta Catch Them All: Wants to be one of the Seven Swordsmen Of The Mist. In order to achieve that goal, he wants to collect all their swords, and allies with Sasuke to go after Itachi's partner Kisame, who has one of those swords.
- Growing Muscles Sequence: He can expand the muscles in his arms to increase the power behind his sword strikes.
- Jerk Ass: He's a total dick to everyone who he knows won't respond with violence.
- The Lancer / The Dragon: Depending on whether your consider it a Five-Man Band or Five-Bad Band.
- Making a Splash: Controls mainly water-based techniques.
- Giant Wall of Watery Doom: He can turn into one which is powerful enough a technique to get physical with a tailed beast!
- Mr. Fanservice; Especially when he's bulked up.
- Magic Pants: His clothes seems to change into water and back with the rest of his body, though when he fuses with a large body of water his clothes seem to just dissolve.
- Odd Friendship: He develops one with Jugo.
- Oh, Crap: When Sasuke revives Orochimaru.
- An even bigger one occurs when Hashirama releases ridiculous amount of chakra to supress his brother. Suigetsu starts to melt due to sheer fear.
- Psychotic Smirk: His default facial expression.
- Purple Eyes
- Put on a Bus: Along with Juugo after the fight with the Raikage. Returns briefly in Chapter 567 alongside him as they make their escape- none the wiser to the magnificent nightmare that occurred with their other two teammates. It'll be a nasty surprise...
- The Rival: To some degree with Sasuke.
- Sempai/Kohai: Refers to Kisame and Zabuza as "sempai" but whether it's sarcastic or not is up for debate.
- The Sociopath: Certainly displays those sorts of tendencies.
- The Southpaw: Most emphasized when he uses his Great Water Arm Technique.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: With Karin.
- White Hair, Black Heart: Although it's more of a pale blue.
Voiced by: Kanako Tojo (JP), Ali Hillis (EN)Only female in Hebi. She has long since been a subordinate to Orochimaru and has been both an experimenter and an experimentee in his Mad Scientist ventures. She has a very powerful chakra-sensing ability. She is in love with Sasuke, but rude to everyone else. She was rescued by Sasuke long ago in the Chunin Exams, which sparked the love interest. She is not shown to be much of a combatant until Sasuke's near-death during the Fourth Shinobi War, but she can heal others by having them bite her. She is a former genin from the Hidden Village of Grass and one of the scattered remnants of the Uzumaki Clan. After Sasuke betrays her during his fight with Danzo, she is taken by Team 7 to Konoha. She was questioned by the Interrogation Squad, bawling her eyes out over the recent events in order to manipulate her interrogators, but Ibiki prevented his less-than-hardy subordinates from playing the sympathy card for her. Karin cooperated fairly well nevertheless (after several demands of her own), but because of her criminal association, she was placed in a holding cell so the Leaf could keep an eye on her. Karin then feigned a fit towards Sasuke that ping-ponged between rage towards the betrayal and fawning over him. It was all a ruse to throw off her guards from noticing her real intentions- use a hidden razor file in the stem of her glasses to reach the lock-picking set in the picture of Sasuke she carried with her, presumably for situations such as this.
Her hobby is collecting perfumes.
Favorite phrase: "A woman's desire can pass even through rock"
- Abhorrent Admirer: Played with. She isn't exactly "unattractive" (even though Fanon would often describe her as such) but her eagerness to get in Sasuke's pants and his somewhat oblivious reaction towards her propositions may make her one of these to some fans.
- Action Girl: Took her a long time to show it, but as of Chapter 663, she demonstrated that she does have some fighting abilities, similar to that of Kushina Uzumaki.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Begins devoted to Sasuke. Deconstructed when she almost dies at Sasuke's hands. Reality Ensues.
- Anime Hair: It's long and straight on one side, but short and wild on the other. Her hair is obviously symbolic, referencing her Mood-Swinger nature.
- Bare Your Midriff: Note that her vest has exactly the same shape in her back, though it's far less noticeable and rarely shows skin unless she's moving in a way that lifts the flaps.
- Big Damn Heroes: Saved the Gokage from the point of death, and is preparing to do the same for the whole Shinobi alliance.
- Blind Without 'Em: Like so many Meganekko. It's shown in a flashback that she has severe myopia.
- Boring but Practical: She practically embodies this trope. Sensing the location of whoever she wants isn't flashy or powerful, but it's pretty damn useful. Too bad "useful" doesn't equal "indispensable".
- Chain Pain: She can summon the same chakra chains as her distant relative Kushina.
- Covered with Scars: Her arms, shoulders, and even her chest are covered in scars from people biting her.
- Curtains Match the Window: Red hair, red eyes.
- Dark Chick: She's the Chick in a team where two members are Ax-Crazy and the leader is obsessed with revenge.
- Detect Evil: She is capable of sensing if someone's chakra is "warm" (good) or "cold" (evil).
- Did Not Get the Girl: Or rather, guy. In the epilogue, Sasuke marries Sakura and there's no mention of what happened to Karin at all. And ironically, Sasuke and Sakura's child has glasses like her.
- Or maybe not — the first chapter of Naruto Gaiden implies that Sarada is her daughter instead of Sakura's. Either way, the resemblance is uncanny.
- Easily Forgiven: Played with. Though she claims not to forgive Sasuke, she clearly takes his apology to heart, which is partially explained by the sincere language the line is originally in, and partially by the fact that she would be able to sense if he were lying or being half-hearted, considering her own abilities. She doesn't seem to have forgiven him completely, but her feelings are clearly still very strong.
- Empathic Healer: She can heal by allowing an ally to bite her and drain her chakra, causing her pain and draining her energy. Kabuto later implies this ability to be due to the unnatural vigor in the Uzumaki's life-giving chakra combined with Orochimaru's experimentation.
- Evil Redhead: This depends on if you count Hebi as "evil" or not; she is certainly not on the protagonists' side, but she is rarely worse than an Anti-Hero.
- Fiery Redhead
- The Force Is Strong with This One: She can feel the amount of chakra people have.
- Foreshadowing: Her red hair, like Kushina's and Nagato's, is what helps mark her as a member of the Uzumaki clan.
- The Glasses Gotta Go: Pulls off her glasses whenever she flirts with Sasuke.
- Hair Color Spoiler: The red color is a trademark of the Uzumaki clan.
- Hartman Hips: If some official pictures with an obvious Male Gaze are to be believed.
- Healing Factor: Her natural vitality and life-giving chakra was amplified to Good Thing You Can Heal levels from Kabuto and Orochimaru's experimentation.
- Hidden Supplies: She keeps a blade hidden in her glasses and a set of lockpicks in a picture frame, which brings to mind questions as to what exactly happened to make her believe that such precautions were necessary.
- Insufferable Genius: Has light shades of this.
- Living Lie Detector: Can sense people's chakra being disturbed if they lie.
- Looks Like She Is Enjoying It: Her special healing ability requires for the person who she wants to heal to bite her. Her facial expression while being bit is pretty...interesting to say the least, though only when Sasuke is the one doing the biting. Whilst healing Tsunade, her expression is uncomfortable and worried, rather than blushing the way it is when Sasuke bites her. Of course, the anime cranks this Up to Eleven.
- Mad Love: Sasuke apologizes and she's back to risking her life for him. However, given her sensor abilities, she would have known if he was lying or being insincere. Clearly, he wasn't.
- Major Injury Underreaction: Got Impaled with Extreme Prejudice and had your insides skewered in a way that killed a popular secondary character a few dozen chapters before? Big deal! Just heal yourself and keep going for the man you love.
- Male Gaze: In a similar fashion to Sakura. They both have a small chest, so fanservicey manga pictures focus on their lower halves instead.
- Meganekko: Subverted. Played straight when she was younger, from what we got to see.
- Mood-Swinger: Karin's moods depend primarily on whatever her surroundings are, so if the situation changes, her mood does a 180. Also Played With while she's in a Konoha prison: she acts like one so that the guards underestimate her and don't notice the lock picks she hid in a picture of Sasuke.
- Ms. Fanservice: She may not have large breasts or be showing a lot of skin (and for good reason), but she exhibits a number of the classic elements. See Male Gaze above.
- My Significance Sense Is Tingling: Her primary ability.
- Nerd Glasses: May or may not hide a tiny saw.
- Neutral Female: She's not much help in physical combat at first, but she possesses other very useful skills.
- Nigh Invulnerable: Courtesy of her healing factor, which may well be superior to Naruto's.
- Not So Different: Empathizes greatly with Sakura to the point of crying when Sakura does because she understands just how the other girl feels.
- Personal Space Invader: Occasionally one for Sasuke, but backs off when he asks her to.
- Put on a Bus: After she is taken into the Leaf's custody.
- Remember the New Guy: Karin first appears later in the series and is shown as a participant of the Chunin Exams from earlier in the series having first met Sasuke during the Forest of Death portion of the exams even though she did not actually appear in chapters that originally depicted the Chunin Exams.
- Rescue Romance: Sasuke saved her from a giant bear during the second part of the Chuunin examination.
- The Reveal: Karin is of Uzumaki descent.
- Satellite Character: Remove her relation to Sasuke and there isn't much left, despite having potential for an interesting backstory. Her status as an Uzumaki and history with Orochimaru add a little more.
- Scarily Competent Tracker: The greatest one in the series, which is why Sasuke sought her out.
- Shadow Archetype: For a long time, she seemed to have many of the flaws of pre-timeskip Sakura. Like the latter, she also displays shades of Teen Genius.
- Single-Target Sexuality: Doesn't seem interested in anyone other than Sasuke. In the end, she should have left.
- Smitten Teenage Girl: She's 16 years old, after all.
- Super-Detailed Fight Narration: She is very keen when observing the abilities of other characters, and is able to figure out the secrets to Danzo's techniques.
- Support Party Member: She uses her sensory powers to discern the locations and nature of enemy techniques, and heals comrades.
- Teen Genius: Leads one of Orochimaru's lairs at only 16. She knows quite a bit more than most people about the Tailed-beasts. It's implied that she aided Orochimaru in some of his Mad Scientist ventures.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: With Suigetsu.
- The Bus Came Back: When Sasuke visits Konoha again.
- Took a Level in Badass: Awakens the ability to use chakra chains and beats a wooden statue that was single-handedly crushing the whole alliance and tanks an attack which killed people, including Neji, by skewering their insides by just biting herself as if it was no big deal.
- Tsundere: Tsuntsun towards everybody, including Sasuke, if there are other people around.
- Weak, but Skilled: She goes Action Girl on a few occasions, but is mostly a healer. After she starts using the same powers as Kushina Uzumaki, this trope is nullified.
- Who Wears Short Shorts?: Perfect for Fanservice shots.
- Zettai Ryouiki: The rarer version with shorts.
- I won't let you die; you're a memento of Kimimaro.
Voiced by: Shuhei Sakaguchi (JP), Travis Willingham (EN)Big guy whose personality flip-flops between a psychopath and a really nice guy. He once roamed the countryside destroying villages when he was consumed by his berserk rage and willingly subjected himself to Orochimaru's human experimentation labs to look for a cure for his condition. He can talk to animals as well as transform his body. Orochimaru made his Cursed Seals by replicating an enzyme that Jugo's body produced. He gets captured by the samurai during the Kage Summit, but manages to break out of jail with Suigetsu. The enzyme in Jugo's body causes his split personality by slowly accumulating natural energy constantly over time until it has to be released, at which point Jugo snaps into a violent frenzy.
His hobbies are forest bathing and playing with birds.
Favorite phrase: "Pure Samādhi"
- All-Encompassing Mantle: His default attire is one of these with no shirt underneath. It's actually a curtain; they couldn't find anything his size.
- Ax-Crazy: When his Superpowered Evil Side takes over, he will gleefully kill everyone around him. The beginning of Jugo's transformation (non-aesthetically) is a sudden urge to kill.
- Appendage Assimilation: In contrast to the below, he can also take flesh from others to heal himself, though so far he's kept it limited to people who were already dead.
- Badass Longcoat: When his team visits a family friend of Sasuke's, they try to find him a shirt. When they can't find any that fit, they instead give him a curtain to wear as a cloak.
- The Big Guy / The Brute: One of the tallest characters of the series (so much that he can hardly find clothing his size) and the muscle of Sasuke's team. He's a Gentle Giant while sane, but his evil side is very much the Brute.
- Black Eyes of Crazy/Supernatural Gold Eyes: Typically has at least one when berserk.
- Curtains Match the Window
- Dressing as the Enemy: Tries this to escape from the samurai. It fails.
- Evil Laugh/Laughing Mad: His psychopathic side, especially when he is in his fully transformed state.
- Gentle Giant: When he's not overcome by bloodlust, that is.
- In Harmony with Nature: Jugo's family is naturally in tune with natural chakra which they are constantly absorbing which unfortunately causes them to periodically transform into monstrous subhuman creatures with a personality to match.
- Jekyll & Hyde
- Liquid Assets: He can heal people compatible with his cursed seal as well as drain the life-force of others to heal himself.
- Marked Change: When he activates his cursed genes assuming it hasn't just dyed his skin.
- Mr. Fanservice
- Nature Is Not Nice: At least when natural builds up the result isn't...
- Nice Guy: When his Superpowered Evil Side is not in control he seems to be a rather sweet, kind guy, possibly the nicest guy in the series.
- Odd Friendship: With Suigetsu.
- One-Winged Angel: Is able to transform with his special ability that was the source for the curse mark.
- Only Friend: Seems to have been this to Kimimaro, who was also his only friend due to being the one person who could subdue him - he closed himself off after Kimimaro's death until dedicating himself to Sasuke, who he views as his deceased friend's legacy.
- Only Sane Man: When he's not in his rage state, he's the lone decent, rational individual on a team led by an unhinged maniac that also contains a sociopathic thrill-killer and an obnoxious, emotionally unstable bitch.
- Partial Transformation: He often transforms his arms into the cursed seal form to deliver a powerful punch or slash to his enemy.
- Put on a Bus: Along with Suigetsu after the fight with the Raikage. Returns in Chapter 567, though neither of them know what happened to their other two teammates...and probably shouldn't anyway...
- Shapeshifter Weapon: Can turn his body parts into things like giant piston arms, extendable appendages blades, shields and even a Jetpack or Wave Motion Gun.
- Sleep Mode Size: He can give some of his flesh to heal someone who's compatible, but turns into a kid as a result. He can revert to his true age by taking someone else's flesh.
- Speaks Fluent Animal: Able to talk to and use animals.
- The Stoic: If not in his psychotic state.
- Super Empowering: Infuses Sasuke's Susanoo with his senjutsu, enabling it to enter Cursed Seal Mode.
- Superpowered Evil Side: His status as a Jobber can generally be dismissed as his unwillingness to hurt people, while he is said and shown to be able to do a LOT more damage when he gives in to his bloodlust.
- Token Evil Teammate: His Hyde personality.
- Token Good Teammate: Superpowered Evil Side aside, he's a Nice Guy who circumstances have more or less left him stuck with a raging psychopath, an amoral douchebag, and an obnoxious bitch.
- Undying Loyalty: To Sasuke for being Kimimaro's legacy.
- When All You Have Is a Hammer: He doesn't seem to possess any fighting ability that doesn't involve his shape-shifting abilities and there are implications he isn't even a trained shinobi at all.
- The Worf Effect: He can be considered his team's designated jobber, as he was quickly dispatched by Killer Bee offscreen, and both his upgraded form and Beam Spam were useless against the Raikage (granted, it appears that he wasn't expecting that to work, just for it to be a proper distraction).