The main character of Kiwi Blitz, a 14 year old girl who decides to become a superhero out of boredom, at least at first.
She pilots the Kiwibot, a mecha designed for robot arena combat, and she is also trained in taekwondo (though not to the extent as her friend Ben). She is very enthusiastic and excitable, and has a habit of rushing into danger, but actually thinks things through better than her allies give her credit for.
- An Arm and a Leg/Artificial Limbs: Has a robotic leg due to an injury she suffered in early childhood jumping in front of a bullet aimed at her dad.
- Badass Adorable: She's trained in taekwando.
- Bilingual Bonus: Fluent in German and English (English is her second language).
- Blood Knight: A rather mild example. She participates in public mecha battles even before she became a superhero and clearly enjoys fighting, but she never tries to actually hurt or kill anyone.
- Clark Kenting: Averted - her distinctive hairstyle,connections to her father's mecha corporation, and a superhero identity composed of dozens of gratuitous German references (she wears a pickelhaube, for goodness' sake) leave the media and Chief Bahia easily guessing her identity.
- Genki Girl: When faced with a new mech for her birthday, immediately decides to fight crime in it, and throughout the story seems to dive into situations with relish when she should really be thinking about them. She seems to get the trait from her father, who also exhibits some rather fun-loving tendencies.
- Genre Savvy
- Heroic BSOD: She does not take letting her father and one of her closest friends get kidnapped very well.
- I Know Kung-Fu: Tae Kwan Do.
- Jumped at the Call
- Mistaken for Gay: and not amused by it
- Missing Mom: Steffi deliberately avoids contact with her, for reasons yet unexplained.
- Nothing Is Scarier: Blitz has always worn headphones since she lost her leg. She thought she had died instantly, but as she was fainting from blood loss she found the music in her headphones to be a reassurance that she was still alive.
- Relationship Upgrade: At the end of Track 14, she becomes Benzene's girlfriend.
- Rose-Haired Sweetie
- Secret Identity: As Blitz.
- Super Hero
- Super Heroes Wear Capes
- Taking the Bullet: When she was five, she took a bullet for her father which severed her left leg.
Steffi's childhood friend
and unofficial sidekick. A pretty serious boy and fan of all things military. Pretty skilled at taekwondo and good with computers. He is pretty regularly exasperated by Steffi's actions and seems to have taken it upon himself to keep her out of trouble. Up to actually joining her as the costumed superhero, Donner, in Track 16.
- Badass Normal: Took down Gear on his own with nothing but his martial arts skills, and did it with one move.
- Badass in a Nice Suit: What he was wearing when he fought Gear, due to having just come from his birthday party. He took the jacket off though.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Hypercompetent Sidekick: Ben is the one who feeds Steffi tactical info, is generally portrayed as smarter, and is a better fighter than her hand to hand. But he sticks to the sidelines for the most part since he doesn't entirely approve of Steffi's actions.
- Mission Control: He takes this role for Steffi for the first few Tracks, but later moves takes to the field himself.
- Multicolored Hair: Ben's bangs are lighter than the rest of his hair.
- Not So Above It All: He eventually admits that he enjoys superheroing just as much as Steffi does.
- Only Sane Man: It typically falls to him to keep Steffi's antics in check.
- Relationship Upgrade: At the end of Track 14, he becomes Steffi's boyfriend.
- Secret Identity: As Donner.
A Japanese robot
sent piece-by-piece to Steffi's father from his roboticist friend in order to avoid anti-robot laws. Since she was just sitting around the house Steffi press-ganged her into helping out with the super heroics.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: At the end of Track 17.
- Deceptively Human Robot: She's designed to look and act human to put people at ease, but Word of God makes it clear that she is not actually self-aware, just really well programmed.
- Face-Heel Turn: Is reprogrammed by Private Barkley to serve Alter at the end of Track 17.
- Hollywood Hacking: She is very proficient in this. She also falls victim to it in Track 17.
- Loophole Abuse: turns out Barkley couldn't actually hack her core AI, he just subverted some key external subroutines. He's still trying, she's still fighting
- Robot Girl
- Stealth Hi/Bye
- Stepford Smiler: her smile is permanently built in but has no significance
- Uncanny Valley: Not so much art-wise, but explicitly mentioned in-universe on several occasions.
Steffi's father and owner of the Mecha Machen design and manufacturing company. Kickstarts the plot by giving Steffi the Kiwibot on her 14th birthday. Fully supports his daughter's decision to become a superhero, until she gets herself into actual danger that is. Not a particularly responsible father.
A policeman in the NYPD, the son of the current Police Chief. Out of all the police shown he is the only one who seems to really want to stand up to the various supercriminals running around causing trouble, and he is always quick to point out that while Steffi is a vigilante, it's the people she's ''fighting against'' who are the real villains. Serves as Steffi's one and only ally in the police. He loses his arm in a fight with Gear, and has it replaced with a robotic prosthetic bristling with weaponry.
A seasoned NYPD veteran, the chief of police and father of Reed. He does not approve of Blitz's antics.
Reed's sarcastic partner.
A spunky young recruit. Becomes Reed's girlfriend. In reality, she is an Alter mole codenamed Cebus.
Flores and Barnes
Two cops who are rarely seen apart. Flores is the girl, and Barnes the guy.
- Badass Beard: Barnes sports a badass-looking goatee.
- Good Cop/Bad Cop: When interrogating Natrix, Flores plays the bad cop to Barnes' good cop. Jones wonders if Flores is relieving stress.
- Good Smoking, Evil Smoking: Barnes.
- Ship Tease: During a break-in to reclaim the impounded Kiwi-Bot, Blitz and Raccoon knock them out and put them into a cute pose next to each other. 42 later suggests that Barnes has romantic feelings for Flores.
- Sleep Cute: After being knocked out by Blitz and Raccoon, they are put into such a pose for giggles.
- Those Two Guys
The Raccoon/Chandra Makisig
A costumed thief who steals on the behalf of a mysterious organization. Definitely a criminal, but seems to be a decent kid for the most part. After Steffi's Kiwibot was captured by the police, she blackmailed The Raccoon into helping her steal it back.
- Ambiguously Brown:
- Badass Adorable: Not only able to fight Steffi on an even footing, but also took down three adult police officers when attempting to steal back the Kiwibot.
- Blatant Burglar
- Even Evil Has Standards: Refuses to use the grappling hook on Steffi because it could kill her.
- Grappling-Hook Pistol
- Honor Among Thieves: "I may be a thief, but I ain't no liar!"
- Punch Clock Villain
- Puppy-Dog Eyes: After getting Punched Across the Room by Steffi.
- Samus Is a Girl
- Saying Sound Effects Out Loud: When Steffi interrupts The Raccoon from eating a sandwich and making "nomph nom" noises, The Raccoon ends up saying one of them.
- Sticky Fingers: "Now, before anyone asks: Yes, [TR] has Kleptomania. No, it does not compel [TR] to dress up as a Raccoon and steal things for mysterious third parties." - Mary (Author), here (spoilers on page).
- Where Does He Get All Those Wonderful Toys?: The Raccoon has a TON of gadgets such as the claw hook, smoke bombs, a taser knuckle, knockout patches, and more. It's quite amazing considering that she's just a young girl. It's implied that all of the gear is supplied by a larger organization. an impression reinforced when we learn she's being enabled and groomed by her cousin Celesta.
supervillain who seems motivated purely by boredom and sadism. Robs a bank specifically so that she lure out Blitz for a fight. Half of her body is cybernetic.
A snake-like criminal
who is a member of The Raccoon's organization.
Private Reinald Barkley
A mentally unstable soldier who stole a mecha and went on a bit of a rampage. Steffi's first challenge as Blitz.