open/close all folders
Kubera Leez/Leez Haias
Pureblood, Birth Attributes: Kubera-Kubera-KuberaThe heroine of the story, the "Human with the God's Name" that the sura are searching for. She's a bit empty-headed, but good-natured and friendly. Her overriding goal is to exact revenge on the sura who destroyed her village.
- Alternate Identity Amnesia: Cannot remember anything from the times when her "friend" takes over her body.
- Art Shift: Her character design changes dramatically (and permanently) when she realizes Asha was just using her. Particularly noticeable because it happens instantaneously, between one panel and the next.
- Attack Reflector: The Golden Knight lets her reflect transcendental attacks back at their user, although it costs her vigor proportional to the power of the attack.
- Auto-Revive: One of the powers she gets from the Golden Knight, though it drains all her vigor when it goes off.
- Badass on Paper: She's incredibly strong, is in possession of two insanely powerful magical artifacts, and has even learned physical augmentation magic, but is still consistently overmatched by all the godlike beings in the story, and is also suppressing herself quite a lot emotionally.
- She grows into a proper badass as time goes on. According to Mirha's observations, with the Golden Knight and the Sword of Return she's the strongest human fighter on the planet, outside of Kasak (who can turn into a giant dragon).
- Big Eater: Food is never far from Leez's mind. In fact, it's often the first thing she thinks of in new places: eating the local specialties (in copious amounts).
- Becomes Harsher in Hindsight when it's revealed that she eats so much as a way of coping with stress.
- Big Sister Instinct: To Yuta, partially due to the fact that she doesn't know that he's actually much older and stronger than her.
- Book Dumb: Although she's not so much dumb as she is simply ignorant of the world around her, due to never being able to leave her village or go to school.
- Break the Cutie: Her village's destruction broke her. After Asha reveals she was just using her and only spared her life because of her father, she breaks even more.
- Broken Bird: After the destruction of her village, although she hides it well. After it becomes clear that Asha was using her, she no longer bothers to hide it.
- Butter Face: Although she's drawn much the same as everyone else, it's made clear by everyone's reactions that she's actually kinda ugly. Every once in a while she's drawn "realistically," and turns into a gonk. On the other hand, it's made clear that when she's a few years older...
- The Chew Toy: A rather sad example. Everything she's known and loved has been destroyed, and her primary protector, Asha, doesn't show the least bit of respect for her. She knows at some level that Asha is not trustworthy, but she's so desperate to avoid being abandoned that she keeps playing the ditz act and suffers whatever criticism comes her way.
- Clingy Costume: The Hide of Bondage, after being modified with Yuta's scarf, is this. She can take it off, but if she gets more than a few feet away from it, it will reach out and grab her.
- Cry into Chest: When she meets Yuta after the battle at Aeroplateau and Rindhallow, she winds up crying into his chest.
- Cute Bruiser: She packs a very surprising wallop, even though she's not the smallest girl you'll meet. Just ask the two gods she surprised when she hit out at them in passing, as it actually hurt.
- Daddy Had a Good Reason for Abandoning You: What she hopes is the case, as she would rather her father be unable to reach her than dead.
- Dangerous Sixteenth Birthday: Her village is destroyed the day she turns 16.
- Despair Event Horizon: Seems to have crossed it as of the "Your Justice and Mine" arc.
- Determinator: Tells Asha "If it's not possible, I'll make it possible."
- Disappeared Dad: While the full situation is unknown, she has never met her father. She hopes he's alive, but their aren't indications otherwise.
- Does Not Know Her Own Strength: Played with. She doesn't know the full extent of what she can do, as she's still learning and has been kept very much in the dark. But, she knows she can cause havoc if she's not careful, so panics if she accidentally lets loose without thinking. This is often played for humor... but, not always. Both God Kubera and Agni note that she could accidentally kill a human in one hit if she wasn't careful. Fortunately, she eventually gets a Power Limiter.
- Doomed Hometown: This is what kicks her whole journey off.
- Fantastic Racism: She doesn't have much of an opinion on sura, except extreme hatred for Garuda clan Rakshasa like the one that destroyed her village.
- Future Badass: If the various Insights of either "Mister", Agni or Taraka are anything to go by.
- Generic Cuteness: Explicitly invoked. The author includes an out-of-character note from their Author Avatar that the usual cute-ish image we see of Leez is just the author self-indulgently making her lead character look more beautiful than she really is, and that she's actually somewhat ugly. ('Butterface' is the specific term used.)
- Genius Ditz: Despite never being able to go to school, she is very perspective, intuitive, and has excellent recall. She can remember conversations word-for-word.
- Genki Girl: She's very cheerful, energetic, will share her fleeting impressions on most things to anybody in earshot, is quick to hug and is quite loud and appreciative. She appears to be deliberately playing this up due to her fear of abandonment.
- Grand Theft Me: By someone who "wishes her happiness, more than anyone else in the world."
- Hidden Depths: Very much so. And, so hidden, she has no idea how deep they go. At the very least, it's obvious she's playing up the ditz act both to suppress her own inner suffering and out of an intense fear of abandonment, and she's aware of much more than she's letting on. Even to herself.
- Idiot Hero: She's more ignorant than idiotic, having flashes of brilliance when she's allowed enough information to work with and time to think.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: The reason she does not (outwardly) question Asha's actions.
- I Want My Mommy!: As multiple gods' insights show.
- Known Only by Their Nickname: She goes by Leez Haias (a combination of her parents surnames) to hide her real name, which is a god's. She's still referred to as Leez after her real name is revealed.
- Leeroy Jenkins: More than a few times, Leez basically plows forwards taking the simple "smash at big thing with fists/sword" approach to combat. However, it's justified, played with, subverted and deconstructed.
- She has a tendency to throw herself at enemies she knows are vastly superior to her in strength — mainly because those are the only kind she tends to get aimed at her. Often justified, as she mainly does this when defending others, or when alternative means to solve the issues aren't apparent to her because of her perceptual or knowledge deficiencies: she can't communicate easily with Sura to find out what is going on and why they keep showing up. That, and they (as well as other very powerful people) have reasons to want to kill her. Also, she knows for sure that she's more durable than most, she has pitiful levels of self-worth and has been actively held back from learning more diverse fighting styles and tactics. "Attack!" is basically all she has as a tool to work with.
- Her current fighting style entails throwing herself at the enemy, getting one or two hits in, being tossed around like a ragdoll, regenerating, and then repeating this. This is more effective than it sounds, but the toll on her is hideous.
- Letting Her Hair Down: She stops wearing her Girlish Pigtails after her Despair Event Horizon.
- Locked Out of the Loop: Asha and others actively keep her in the dark about a lot of what's going on.
- Loser Protagonist: At first. She does grow much stronger physically, but the events of the webtoon have a significant negative effect on her mentally.
- Made of Iron: She is far more durable than a pureblood teenage girl should be. She is also very resistant against cold temperatures, swimming in the frigid water channel (which the author notes would give most people cardiac arrest). It's revealed after she gains the Sword of Return that she had regenerative abilities beyond that of a normal human as well, though the sword now suppresses them.
- Masquerade: Her whole life is basically this. She goes by the name "Leez Haias", but her actual name is Kubera Leez. She wasn't allowed to leave her village - even to go to school - because of this.
- Meaningful Name: So meaningful, it's the driving force behind the whole plot. Kubera Leez, the "girl with a god's name."
- Missing Mom: Anna vanished with her village's destruction. It is unknown whether she's alive or dead.
- Morality Pet: Possibly to Asha. She isn't
- Nom de Mom: She took on her mother's last name and uses her father's last name as her first name as an alias.
- Not Afraid to Die: She fully accepts that she could die trying for her revenge. This is only reinforced when she learns of her short lifespan.
- During the attack on Aeroplateau, she thinks this word for word.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: She's far smarter than she appears, mainly being Book Dumb, but she is engaging in a lot of hardcore self repression. She seems like an airheaded ditz, but time progresses, the more clear it becomes that she's actually quite sharp, but also much more emotionally fragile than her outward behavior suggests.
- Plucky Girl: Frequently jumps into battles she can't win.
- Revenge: For her village.
- and as of the end of season 2, her father Rao
- Secret Secret-Keeper: She figures out that Yuta is a sura long before he reveals it to her. She simply kept quiet about it because she hoped he'd trust her enough to tell her himself someday.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: When Mirha puts makeup on her, Yuta gets so distracted that he falls off of the tree branch he was standing on.
- She Is All Grown Up: The narrative makes it clear that the version we usually see is actually pretty ugly, even if Generic Cuteness covers it up; but when she gets a temporary Plot-Relevant Age-Up, it's made clear that in a few years she will be genuinely beautiful.
- Statuesque Stunner: Her older self.
- Stepford Smiler: Inside, she's hurting badly. Her whole Genki Girl outlook isn't a lie. But she is playing it up to both keep herself going and not alienate others. The facade finally cracks completely in Your Justice And Mine. She reveals that she really was aware of everything that was going on, yet she couldn't bring herself to leave Asha because she thought she had nothing else to live for.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Leez as an adult is said to look exactly like a female version of her father.
- Tongue-Tied: She can't talk about god Kubera.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Curry Mushrooms.
- Your Days Are Numbered: The Hoti Yama spell revealed that she will die quite young (around her 20s).
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Blue-green in her case.
- You Killed My Father: It is revealed in the loser arc where Asha specifically states to Leez; "I killed him. Your father". Leez is understandably not happy about this. However we still don't know if she was telling the truth or not.
Pureblood, Birth Attributes: Marut-Indra-VayuAn incredibly powerful magician, quite likely the most powerful one on the planet (though she's ranked 5th since she wasn't allowed to take the last part of the test). She found Leez shortly after her village was destroyed, and took her under her wing once she heard her name. Her goal is also revenge; on whom and for what, exactly, is still unknown.
- The Ace: What everybody in Willarv sees her as. With cause. She even has a fanclub.
- Broken Ace: What she sees herself as... with more cause. She was broken before she reached Acehood. In fact, it caused her to work hard to gain it.
- Almighty Janitor: Her magician ranking is already quite high (5th), but the only reason she's not first is due to a technicality. Even the four mages above her are aware that Asha is more powerful than they are.
- An Arm and a Leg: She's very strongly implied to be missing her right arm, but she wears big bulky clothing to hide it.
- Bifauxnen: To the point that most people get pulled up short when they realise she's actually wearing a skirt. Which she actually does to point out that she's a she.
- Child Prodigy: Subverted. While she was incredibly intelligent as a child, she had very low divine affinity and thus little magical power. According to Saha, one can train to increase their divine affinity, but the results are usually negligible. Asha, however, managed to increase hers from next to none to over ten thousand.
- Cynical Mentor: Deconstructed. She verbally abuses Leez and has no qualms against hurting her to further her goals. This makes more sense when it's revealed that her original intention in going to Leez's village was to kill her, and that she initially only protected Leez because she knew her father. As of the Your Justice And Mine arc, she's entered full blown Evil Mentor territory.
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: She can use Hoti Visnu to turn back time for objects or people, but every time she does so, it eats away at her existence.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Her entire planet was destroyed. She's a Serial Killer. One of her victims was Leez's father.
- Deadpan Snarker: Especially towards Ran.
- Deal with the Devil: She made some kind of deal with Visnu that allows her to use Hoti Visnu, which should be impossible after Visnu's disappearance.
- Deceptive Diciple: To Lorraine
- Even the Girls Want Her: Is the subject of a number of female crushes.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: She went from a little girl with a divine affinity of less than 100, to one of, if not the strongest magician on Willarv and an infamous Serial Killer.
- Giver of Lame Names: When she tried to come up with a name for Yuta, she came up with three names; Blacky, Whitey, and Spotty. It's her only shown attempt at naming something.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Towards Leez for a variety of reasons.
- Good Angel, Bad Angel: Rao was the good one, encouraging her to 'live for the living' and supporting her in hopes that she would redeem herself in the future. Claude is the bad one, encouraging her to 'discard' Leez and even attempting to kill Leez for her.
- Important Haircut: Invoked. She cuts her hair with magic to test her resolve. If she has any doubts, she has the chance to subconsciously miscalculate and slit her own throat. She's been doing this since she was ten.
- Intelligence Equals Isolation: When she was at Eloth's university, she was ostracized because of her incredible intellect and power. Now she has a fanclub, but the members usually just admire her power and fame without really knowing her. She also has problems understanding the perspective of the average person, since she often takes her own knowledge for granted.
- However, this is at least partially self-inflicted. Many other brilliant magicians have strong relationships with friends and family, including Claude.
- Kick the Dog: Frequent after reviving Teo. Whereas she was at least cordial to Leez previously, she kicks her belittling, abusive behavior up a notch and rarely misses a chance to hurt Leez emotionally or physically.
- Then she reveals that all her past Pet the Dog moments were her thinking of Rao. She was never thinking of Leez herself, just the girl's father. Leez dislikes people treating her differently because of her father.
- Lady Looks Like a Dude: To the consternation of Brilith and Ran.
- Mysterious Backer: For Leez. So far, Asha has been firmly on Leez's side, but she can be very abusive and it's clear she still has her own agenda going that may or may not be in Leez's best interest. Turns out her ultimate goal is to acquire the power of Ananta.
- Mysterious Past: Her dealings with Rao, Visnu, and Kubera, and her experiences on Carte are still unclear.
- Pet the Dog: Every once in a while, she'll do something nice for Leez. This comes to an abrupt end in Season 2. See Kick the Dog.
- She's also very respectful to Yuta, whom she treats as more of an equal.
- Power at a Price: She can use hoti visnu, sacrificing her existence little by little with each use. To get the ability in the first place, she sacrificed what she would come to consider most precious, which is implied to have been Rao, whom she hadn't met yet.
- Rank Inflation: Despite getting the best scores in history on her magic exams, she wasn't allowed to take the last test (compatibility with a barrier stone) because she doesn't have a triple attribute, meaning it would be very dangerous. Normally, the highest rank for someone who can't take that exam is A+, with AA being the rank above it. Her examiner invented the A++ rank on the spot as a mark of her achievement. During the siege on Atera, she proves that she can use a barrier stone anyway (by changing the attribute of the barrier to match her attributes, something assumed to be impossible). The arc is named "AAA," implying that is the rank she deserves.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue to Leez's red. Blue again to Ran's red.
- Revenge: Her goal. It's a stepping stone.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Connections!: Asha's connections are good enough to let her literally get away with murder. 32 times.
- That is, until new evidence comes to light. The reveal of Asha being capable of Hoti Visnu, and all the victims having the name "Kubera" has reopened the case, and Saha On is pushing for the death penalty.
- Take a Third Option: Pulls this frequently, like when she changes the attributes of the barrier in Atera.
- Played for drama when Claude prevents her from killing Laila. She doesn't want to kill Leez, but needs to kill one more Kubera. So what does she do? Go after the third Kubera, Saha On, the number one magician of the whole planet.
- The Stoic: When you see any emotion on her face, you know it's something big.
- Not So Stoic: Whenever certain details about her past come up, she expresses surprising emotion. In the present day, she even appears distraught after attacking Leez while the latter was trapped in an escape pod that was about to launch.
- It's also played for laughs during a brief travel montage when Asha witnesses her ward eating with a pair of chopsticks in each hand and is completely shocked.
- Not So Stoic: Whenever certain details about her past come up, she expresses surprising emotion. In the present day, she even appears distraught after attacking Leez while the latter was trapped in an escape pod that was about to launch.
- The Svengali: To Leez.
- Tongue-Tied: She is physically prevented from talking about certain things.
- Took A Level In Jerk Ass: A lot of her Pet the Dog moments towards Leez disappear over the course of Season 2.
- World's Strongest Man: She's ranked fifth most powerful mage in the world, but that's just because she wasn't allowed to take the last test. All four of her "superiors" are well aware she is much, much better than them. One of them is even the president of her fanclub.
- Would Hurt a Child: It's stated that some of her murder victims were children.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Very light blue.
- Younger Than They Look: She's actually 17 years old since she ceased to exist for three years. Wouldn't guess it by looking at her.
- Your Days Are Numbered: It's revealed via Hoti Yama that she has only a year or two left of her lifespan. She deliberately overused Hoti Visnu to disappear for those three years, since she wouldn't have lived long enough otherwise.
Quarter, Varuna-Varuna-VarunaA Quarter who joined the party to help navigate the Water Channel, he stuck around longer than expected. He's surprisingly strong, even able to match Asha in many ways, but consistently fails the university exit exams because he is hopeless with magic calculations. Luckily for him, he doesn't need calculations for magic.
- Big Brother Instinct: Towards Leez. He calls out Asha on her poor treatment of her and, after learning that Leez's village was destroyed by a superior sura, offers to adopt her into his family. He also extends what he can of this towards Yuta, even though he's mostly in the dark about a lot of Yuta's problems. But, he will help out when he can about emotions and growing up, and would really try to with the things he couldn't ever manage to help with. Yuta knows and appreciates this (hence keeping him in the dark about the really scary-dangerous stuff that would get Ran very dead very quickly).
- Big Brother Worship: Downplayed. He considers his brother the greatest magician in the world, but he's not blind to his faults.
- Book Dumb: His ability to use magic without requiring calculations has caused him to neglect some of his studies, though some of this just comes from comparison to Asha's Charles Atlas Superpower levels of magical knowledge.
- Butt-Monkey: Serves as this upon joining the party. Him being a relatively normal (at least within the context of sharing the same space as a mysterious genius magician, a girl with a god's Name, and a sura) means that he, along with Leez, winds up providing much of the humor in scenes where the four are involved, often at his own expense.
- Butter Face: Like Leez, Ran is stated to be drawn more attractive than he actually is.
- Cast from Lifespan: His Dangerous Forbidden Technique is apparently this.
- Childhood Friend Romance: He and Rana eventually get engaged and going through wedding preparations by the end of Season 2.
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: Whatever he used in his magic exams, it is this; Rana chews him out for using it, saying that using it could kill him, and his scores are almost declared invalid due to there being no precedent for it.
- Facial Markings: Gains these when using his Dangerous Forbidden Technique.
- Fanboy: For Rao Leez.
- Hidden Depths: Is currently ranked BB, but has the potential to be AA when he graduates.
- Upon arrival to Eloth, he is immediately promoted to AA.
- The Illegible: His handwriting is horrible. He actually has to type out his letter to Rana to so she can actually read it.
- Lonely Rich Kid: Especially after Lutz left and his mother tried to kill him during the Cataclysm.
- Locked Out of the Loop: He consistently knows less of what's really going on than the rest of the main cast (except, possibly, Leez), though it's getting a bit better; initially he knew next to nothing about Asha (not even her gender), thought Yuta was human, and thought Leez was an ordinary girl. Even now, while both Leez and Yuta seem to have at least a general understanding that something bigger is going on, he's completely ignorant.
- Love at First Sight: He was attracted to Rana from the moment he first saw her. His feelings developed into actual love over the years.
- Made of Iron: A minor Running Gag in the water channel is pieces of rubble breaking on his head. He doesn't really seem to notice.
- Mayfly–December Romance: What he is afraid will happen between him and Rana. She's pure human, but he's a Quarter, so he ages at half normal rate. His own mother gave him a rather heartless lesson on the subject, since she was already going through the same thing with his father.
- Nice Guy: While it was less pronounced at first due to his dislike of Asha, Ran has a strong sense of justice and is doesn't need a reason to help others.
- When Leez runs off to try to save Yuta, he goes after her despite the incredible danger. He had no obligation to help her, he could have left without repercussions. He just cares too much about others to leave them behind.
- Seems to be this in comparison to most of the other human characters. After the incident where Yuta loses control and eats Leez's face, Ran is the only one concerned about Leez.
- Oblivious to Love: Despite his feelings for Rana, he has no idea that she loves him back. This changes once she proposes.
- Only Sane Man: While he does have some issues, they are far more manageable than the other members of the party.
- Older Than They Look: Because he's a Quarter, he looks 18 despite being 38.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: As shown by the Test of the Sword and his eventual AA ranking, Ran is actually rather incredible by human standards. He has the rare ability to cast by sheer instinct, he's unusually strong, and incredibly durable. He's just surrounded by people (and beings) that are even more amazing.
- Patient Childhood Love Interest: To Rana.
- Shipper on Deck: He gives Yuta advice on his relationship with Leez, encourages him to tell her how he feels, and says that he'll support him.
- Super Strength: Ran is stronger than the average Half even those from the same clan, which is known for its physical strength.
- Unlimited Wardrobe: Downplayed and Justified. He changes outfits frequently, but he has a preferred style and is filthy rich.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Has a phobia of Halfs, thanks to his childhood's trauma when his mother was driven insane by her sura blood and tried to kill him.
Yuta / Jatayu
Rakshasa, Clan Attributes: Chaos + Sky, Hereditary Attributes: Light + UnknownA Half-Garuda-Half-Chaos Rakshasa. He was stranded in the human realm during the Cataclysm and is looking for his siblings. He joins the party on their way to Mistyshore after developing a crush on Leez and learning that they too are going to Kalibloom to try to draw the Sword of Return.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: For all Yuta can be very sweet, he can be really stubborn and, when he is, he can become quite obnoxious when he puts his mind to it. Just ask Maruna (not that he's one to talk about being a pain). Ran, however, doesn't find Yuta to be annoying, and acts something like an older sibling despite being over 200 years years his junior.
- Beware the Nice Ones: He is a perfectly nice and gentle young boy...until he gets hungry and/or angry. He's fond of torturing and killing his prey slowly (usually by eating them alive and forcing the others to watch) and taunting his enemies about it.
- Big Eater: Unlike other sura, who eat mainly to replenish vigor and don't need to otherwise, Yuta must eat regularly to survive.
- Blue and Orange Morality: Even compared to other sura, his mind is very alien. He has no concept of clan loyalty and will eat "allies" if he feels hungry and doesn't know them personally. He also treats humans like sura, only with the caveat that he can't eat them.
- Even more pronounced in his Third Stage.
- Cute Mute: To humans.
- The Confidant: To Asha, Leez, and Ran to varying degrees.
- Cool Mask: In his sura form, he has a domino mask like Garuda's. In his third stage, it covers his face.
- Does Not Know His Own Strength: Played with. Yuta is well aware of his own strength and has fine control over it. However, he can be careless at times, and can break a man's arm by bumping into him. He also overestimates the strength of humans. If Leez weren't Made of Iron, he could've killed her with a hug.
- Eaten Alive: His preferred way of eating.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: His skin is so pale it can look gray at times.
- Friend or Idol Decision: Yuta realizes he will have to choose between his brother and Leez when he finds out that the latter wants to kill the former for destroying her village. He chooses Leez... at least for now, although he still hasn't told her the Sura she's hunting is his brother.
- Full-Frontal Assault: He's completely naked in his 3rd stage sura form. It wasn't played for fanservice or horror however.
- The Gadfly: In Stage 2, when he occasionally lets his mischievous side out, it's usually fairly benign and often cute. Once he hits Stage 3... Let's just say he starts to take after his mother's Black Comedy It Amused Me attitude a bit more frequently. It's more prominent in his interactions with Kasak, who's ability to speak and understand the sura tongue means there's no filter in their interactions.
- He Is All Grown Up: Once he reached his 3rd stage.
- Heinz Hybrid: He appears to be an odd mix between Garuda and Chaos. Then he displays abilities only gods' should have.
- Horror Hunger: For pretty much anything that moves.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: After he loses control of himself and bites Leez, he vows to stay away from her and only protect her from afar so that it never happens again. It doesn't last, as he returns in order to give her the newly modified Hide of Bondage, and decides to stay with her at her request.
- Known Only by Their Nickname: Yuta nor Jatayu are his real name.
- Lack of Empathy: He doesn't really care about anybody he doesn't know personally. This is one of reasons he wasn't bothered by Asha's past.
- Loophole Abuse: He made a promise with Shuri that he would never eat humans. When he saw the Half-hunters strike down the woman he was helping, he decided that he would just chew them up and spit them out.
- Male Gaze: To Leez on multiple occasions.
- Missing Mom: His mother Kali left him under the care of his fake mother, Taraka.
- Mood Ring Eyes: He has Garuda's gray eyes by default, but they turn red when he uses the Chaos clan ability to prevent transcendentals. Lastly, sometimes he has his mother's teal eyes, usually when he is experiencing strong emotions or when he is using his Insight ability. Fitting, since according to to legend, his mother's eyes could discern the true nature of beings.
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family/Scary Teeth: His teeth look like shark's, and right behind his normal set is more sets, even on his tongue.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: While he doesn't act particularly stupid, his childish behavior and crush on Leez makes it hard to tell how much he knows. Even those who know full well how old he is, such as Asha, can forget his age and experience.
- Plot-Relevant Age-Up: As standard for sura. To his intense annoyance, he's been stuck in 2nd stage for a couple hundred years. He finally advances into 3rd stage to prevent Maruna from killing Leez.
- Power Nullifier: Part of the reason he's so powerful is because his eyes nullify any magic or transcendentals in his range of vision; even in his second stage, he says he would have no trouble defeating a fourth-stage Raksaka if they were transcendental-focused.
- The Promise: He promised Shuri that he wouldn't eat humans, and that he would only eat sura who attack him. He's serious about keeping these promises, but more of the letter than the spirit.
- Really 700 Years Old: As a Sura, he doesn't age the way humans do, and has lived for hundreds of years, although his emotional age reflects his physical age.
- Sdrawkcab Name: His alias is "Yuta", which is similar to the name given to him by his Garuda family (Jatayu). Considering that the person who gave him the alias (Leez) had no way of knowing his real name, he was pretty surprised.
- Secret Keeper: Asha eventually spills everything she could to him.
- Single-Target Sexuality: For Leez. The narration even describes him as "the Rakshasa who only has eyes for one girl".
- That Came Out Wrong: Usually he's able to avoid this since he needs to write it out. However, he at one point tells Leez he doesn't like to war clothing... (He's referring to human clothing rather than sura, which is actually altered body parts)
- Walking Shirtless Scene: After he develops to third stage. Leez is eventually able to get him to wear shirts that she buys for him.
- Willfully Weak: This is how he hunts. He suppresses his transcendental value to appear weak, then when other sura attack him he takes sura form and eats them.
- Yandere: After his Plot-Relevant Age-Up, he starts thinking things like how he wants to be the one to kill her, though this trait calms down after he tries to leave for her own safety.
- Younger Than They Look: Not in terms of years, but rather his growth stage. He looks older then most Rakshasa do.
Humans in General
- Curtains Match the Window: Almost all purebloods have matching hair and eyes.
- Fantastic Racism: Halfs have been victims of this since N0.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Halfs are half sura. However, most halfs come from other halfs rather than having a sura parent.
- Little Bit Beastly: Halfs retain traits of their sura heritage. This actually allows sura to masquerade as them when entering cities.
- Older Than They Look: Quarters age at 1/2 the rate purebloods do. Halfs age at 1/4.
- Puny Earthlings: A number of sura and gods consider humans to be lesser beings, if not irrelevant ants.
Pureblood, Birth Attributes: Kubera-Kubera-KuberaLeez's mother; almost nothing is known about her, though there are some hints that she may be more important than she seemed at first.
Pureblood, Birth Attributes: Vayu-Vayu-VayuLeez's father, a legendary warrior who gave her the name that kickstarted the plot.
- The Ace: One of the most famous fighters of his generation.
- Action Dad: He was a legendary warrior and Leez's father, though she was born while he was on a rescue mission.
- Challenge Seeker: According to Ran.
- Disappeared Dad: To Leez, though not by his own choice; he was trapped away from his family when the Cataclysm occurred, and never made it home.
- Posthumous Character: At least as far as anyone knows, although they Never Found the Body, and there is at least one report of him after his supposed death. Unfortunately, that report is supposedly his actual death.
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: The only time he was ever reported to be seen crying was shortly before his disappearance. He wanted to be able to hold his child at least once.
Pureblood, Birth Attributes: Nil-Nil-Nil
A childhood friend of Leez and Haas' younger brother. He was taken care of by Anna.
- Born Lucky: He seems to have some kind of luck or foresight. He left the village before it was destroyed in order to buy Leez a birthday present, and told his brother they should wait at the magic guild during the attack on Atera before they open it up to refugees.
- Made of Iron: He's more durable than he looks, which he how he can take the brunt of Leez's full strength.
- Not Quite Dead: He and his brother survive the destruction of the village.
- The Prankster: At first Leez thinks that the destruction of the village was one of Kaz's pranks.
Pureblood, Birth Attributes: Vayu-Avins-BrahmaA childhood friend of Leez and Kaz's older brother.
- Blinding Bangs: His eyes are never shown. Either his bangs cover them or he's drawn as a blue blob.
- Faceless Masses: He's usually drawn as a vague silhouette like most of the background characters, despite being a named character.
- Not Quite Dead: He survives the destruction of the village along with Kaz.
- You Remind Me of X: Let's just say he's very confusable with Visnu and leave it at that...
Pureblood, Birth Attributes: Agni-Agni-AgniThe current Priestess of Fire, who summoned the fire god Agni when she was a child.
- Always Second Best: To her mother.
- Barrier Maiden: Subverted. Other people thought she was the one who responsible for the barrier, but it was Agni who actually did the job for her while she maintained his existence in the human realm.
- Played straight later on, when she actually has to maintain the barrier herself. Other characters notice that it's not nearly as strong as it was before.
- Blood from the Mouth: During both attacks on Atera.
- Cleavage Window: Her new outfit after the second attack on Atera has one. She actually wears a dress under it to shrink the window a bit.
- Determinator: She resists and tries to attack Sagara despite knowing that she is hopelessly outmatched.
- Ill Girl: As a result of her sacrificing most of her lifespan to summon Agni and protect her city.
- Locked Out of the Loop: Agni deliberately prevents information that could stress Brilith from reaching her. She's somewhat aware of this.
- My God, What Have I Done?: When she thinks that Agni left because of her rudeness.
- Rapunzel Hair: Before her Traumatic Haircut.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Asha's blue.
- Spoiled Sweet: In spite of her sheltered upbringing.
- Stepford Smiler: In front of the people of Atera.
- Tsundere: The sweet kind, though she only gets harsh when Agni's being particularly frustrating.
- Traumatic Haircut: Most of her hair gets burned off during the second attack on Atera.
- Watching Troy Burn: Almost. During "The Night It Reigned Fire", Sagara abducts her to ensure Agni won't interfere. She intentionally makes it so Brilith will have to watch as Atera is destroyed, but help arrives in time to stop it.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Gender-flipped, towards her mother Jibril Ajes.
- The Woman Wearing the Queenly Mask: She plays the part of the graceful and gentle priestess, when in reality she's constantly tired and in pain due to keeping Agni summoned.
- Your Days Are Numbered: Due to summoning Agni.
Pureblood, Birth Attributes: Agni-Agni-AgniThe previous Priestess of Fire and Brilith's mother.
- Action Mom: Brilith's. Jibril had a Divine Affinity value over 10,000, which probably played no small part in her ability to go toe to toe with Rakshasa.
- Barrier Maiden: Her job as a priestess.
- Dying Moment of Awesome: Brilith's last memory of Jibril is her facing down an army of sura.
God, Source Attribute: FireKing of all bums. Brilith's stalker.See Agni's entry for more information.
Pureblood, Birth Attributes: Asvins-Asvins-BrahmaThe #1 ranked fighter and #6 ranked magician who is a guest lecturer at the Atera Magic Academy. She is Claude's younger sister.
- Action Girl: Her Asvins-Asvins-Kubera attributes mean that she's primarily focused on self-buffing; she fights by boosting her own strength and regeneration with hoti asvins hoti kubera, flies into close range with bhavati kubera, then gets into brawls with enemies while sealing their own abilities using bhavati asvins.
- Always Someone Better: Is this to Teo Rakan due to beating her out for the title of best fighter in two consecutive tournaments.
- Fangirl: To Asha Rahiro; partially this seems to be because Airi feels that any magician (like herself) who lacks a triple attribute gets a lower rank regardless of their strength.
- The Trickster: Lures Clophe away from the city during the attack on Atera.
Pureblood, Birth Attributes: Brahma-Brahma-BrahmaA triple-attribute creation magician who is the #4 ranked AA. She has a creation shop and is friends with Brilith and Airi. She is Saha's fiancee and Siera's cousin.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: She's the #4 ranked magician, but ran out on Lutz, forcing him to become the Priest of Creation, and regularly shirks her duties.
- Broken Pedestal: After Asha uses her to murder Saha On, she decides Asha is evil. It doesn't matter if there's a greater purpose, she's evil.
- Curtains Match the Window: Averted despite being a pureblood. She and her cousin both have brown hair and golden eyes.
- Despair Event Horizon: Saha's murder.
- The Ditherer: She's been putting off marrying Saha On for over a decade, but at the same time, she won't call it off herself. She puts it off, hoping the situation will resolve itself.
- Has a Type: She likes masculine, muscular men. Too bad her fiance is the exact opposite.
- The Mentor: Used to be this to Asha.
- My God, What Have I Done?: In the wake of Saha's murder by Asha, who she had released from prison.
- Opaque Nerd Glasses: Wears a pair. Her eyes are rarely visible before the latter half of season 2.
- Revenge: After Asha kills Saha, Lorraine hits her with her flying car and sets the vehicle to explode, killing everything in a 10km radius. Yuta stops her.
- Runaway Fiancée: She really doesn't want to get married to Saha, which is why she bailed on being the Priest of Creation and ran away to Atera.
- Unwitting Pawn: Her unwillingness to believe Asha's a Serial Killer leads her to break Asha out of jail and lead her to her next victim.
Quarter, Birth Attributes: Vayu-Vayu-VayuThe president of the Atera Magic Guild and a shameless fangirl for Asha. Riche's younger twin.
- Ambiguously Bi: She has a pretty blatant crush on Asha, and several of her lines indicate that she doesn't care about someone's gender as long as they have an attractive face.
- Coattail-Riding Relative: She got her job because of the influence of her rich and famous sister.
- Fangirl: For Asha. Until she's convicted of murder.
- Glory Seeker: Anytime she does something impressive, she always makes sure everybody knows about it.
- Hidden Depths: While she's as shallow and vain as she typically acts, she's surprisingly perceptive and intelligent. She was actually the first person to figure out Brilith summoned Agni, and she's implied to recognize Ran's Dangerous Forbidden Technique.
- Jerkass Has a Point: She can be pretty bitchy, but she makes a good case as to why Lorraine should be detained as a suspect in Asha's murder.
- Theme Twin Naming: Ruche and Riche Seiran.
- Older Than They Look: Due to being a Quarter, she only looks about 17.
See his entry under "Leez's Party".
Pureblood, Birth Attributes: Asvins-Asvins-AsvinsChildhood friend of Ran and a teacher at the Mistyshore university.
- Childhood Friends: With Ran.
- Childhood Friend Romance: She proposed!
- Child Prodigy: Entered the academy at the age of 10.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Briefly, when she mistakes Ran's Big Brother Instinct for Leez as him having fallen in love with her. It's downplayed, too, in that she's more upset with him for being Oblivious to Love for 18 years than anything.
- Love at First Sight: She was attracted to Ran the day she met him. However, it only developed into actual love over the years.
- Mayfly–December Romance: Comparatively mild, but she does age twice as fast as Ran.
- The Medic: She knows restoration magic.
- Nice Gal: She's kind, helpful, and doesn't hesitate to help others.
- Tsundere: Of the sweet variety, towards Ran.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: And eyes.
Quarter, Birth Attributes: Vayu-Nil-NilKasak's late mother and wife of the Destruction Dragon, Taksaka. Her relationship with Taksaka is the focus of The Finite.
- Doomed Hometown: Her hometown was destroyed by Vritra posing as Taksaka.
- Gender-Blender Name: "Ian" is normally a boys' name.
- Good Parents: To Kasak.
- Interspecies Romance: With Taksaka
- Mayfly–December Romance: Taksaka is as old as the universe. She's a Quarter who lost 80 years of her lifespan having a child.
- Morality Pet: To Taksaka, who restrains his temper for her sake.
- Posthumous Character: She's long dead by the time of Kubera canon.
Quarter, Birth Attributes: Nil-Nil-NilThe current Priestess of Chaos, and in fact the only Chaos candidate in the city, as well as the head of the Kalibloom fighter's guild.
- Action Girl: She's more of a fighter than a magician. She gained an A+ magician's license (the second-highest one possible, excluding Asha's unique A++ rank) despite being all but incapable of using magic — using nothing but brute strength and skill with a sword.
- Action Mom: Considering she's a badass with a sword and she's Elwin's mom, she definitely qualifies. She can even take on human-form rakshasa and hold her ground solely on her skill as a fighter.
- Always Second Best: Has been the runner-up to Airi Yui in two consecutive fighter's tournaments. She clearly chafes at this.
- Beneath the Mask: In front of Gandharva and others, she's calm and cool. Inside her head, she's flustered by the hot guy she's letting stay in her house and worried about his secretive behavior.
- Birds of a Feather: With Gandharva. They both were separated from family members and know that they are likely dead, but want to believe that they're alive anyway.
- Facial Markings: She has red marks under her eyes. They are easily mistaken for makeup, but are in fact a sign of her sura heritage.
- Genius Bruiser: She may be a poor magician due to her automatic 50% fail rate (due to her triple-Null birth attributes), but she still got an A+ ranking. All ranking tests have a speed calculations portion.
- Has a Type: Comments at one point that Gandharva's human guise is her type.
- Hidden Depths: Is somehow capable of using silent Chaos magic. This is notable given that one, Kali disappeared a long time ago, leaving the Chaos attribute nil, and two, those who can use silent magic tend to be rather ruthless.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Courtesy of being resurrected by Asha's Hoti Visnu, she had her time rewound back to before the beginning of Season II, judging by her being unaware of ever meeting Gandharva.
- Loophole Abuse: She gained an A+ magician's license, despite being mostly unable to use magic, because there ain't no rule that says you have to use magic on the tests — she overcame the tests that are meant to be solved with magic using brute strength.
- Magic Knight: Of the use spells (i.e. Hoti Kubera) to augment physical abilities while fighting with weapons variety.
- Magically Inept Fighter: Played with. She is described as having little magical skill outside of Hoti Kubera (likely due in large part to her attributes), but makes up for it by being highly skilled in the use of transcendentals and, as it turns out, silent Chaos magic.
- Oh, Crap!: She has a quiet one when she spots Gandharva's sura form in the Lake of Reflection and realizes her house-guest is a sura.
- Teo: (thinking) Stay calm. Don't tremble. I saw nothing.
- Only Mostly Dead: Due to her body being preserved when Gandharva froze it in ice made from his body, it was possible for Asha to resurrect her using Hoti Visnu.
- Power Hair: She's cut her flowing hair down to a short bob between seasons two and three.
- Tragic Dream: Develops a crush on Gandharva that remains even after figuring out who he is. She even goes as far as to comment on her "hopeless dreams" of him allying himself with her, among other implied things, during her Last Stand against Sagara's troops. What makes it worse is that Gandharva decided he didn't want her to die after all, just before Sagara finishes Teo off right in front of him.
- Watching Troy Burn: Averted. She dies before Kalibloom is attacked.
- "I do not wish to survive when my city is collapsed.
Half, Hereditary Attributes: Fire + FireTeo's adoptive daughter, and one of the few Halfs capable of hearing sura speech.
- Blinding Bangs: We don't see her eyes at all in her first few appearances, so she looks like a cute little girl with bunny ears and too-long bangs. Her eyes are actually a really freaky red color (sclera and all) due to her Yaksha Half nature.
- Happily Adopted: Elwin's adopted mom Teo genuinely cares for her and is heartsick with worry when she hears that Elwin has been kidnapped.
- Older Than They Look: She's not as old as her adoptive mother, but she still looks far younger than twenty-seven years.
- Useless Useful Spell: How she regards her ability to understand the Sura tongue.
Quarter, Birth Attributes: Vayu-Vayu-BrahmaPresident of the creation brand Brimo and the richest person on the planet. Ruche's older twin sister.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Her mind is always on money, even in the most dire of situations.
- Everyone Has Standards: She disapproves of Asha's killings and sends the evidence she's collected to Saha On when Asha shows no remorse for them.
- Older Than They Look: As a Quarter.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Money!: Her large collection of god-level items were acquired through rather dubious means.
- Smug Snake: So, so much.
- Theme Twin Naming: With Ruche.
Pureblood, Birth Attributes: Kubera-Kubera-KuberaThe Priest of Earth. Lorraine's cousin.
- Barrier Maiden: A male example. He is responsible for maintaining the Barrier of Earth.
- Curtains Match the Window: Averted, despite being a pureblood.
- Early-Bird Cameo: He can be seen in chapter 6 in Brilith's exposition about magicians, but doesn't make a proper appearance until season 2.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: He looks much younger than his thirty-one years.
- Meaningful Name: His name is similar to "Sierra", which means "mountain" in Spanish.
- Squishy Wizard: He has a very high magic ranking in addition to being a priest, but is inept at fighting. That said, he's still able to smash a hole in the wall of the temple when frustrated with Claude.
Half, Clan Attribute: Light, Hereditary Attributes: Darkness + WindA Half and fighter of Kalibloom. She competes in the Test of the Sword.
- Absolute Cleavage: Her dress is rather revealing.
- Cat Girl: Her catlike ears and tail give her this appearance.
- Ms. Fanservice: She is an attractive pseudo-Cat Girl who wears cleavage baring dresses.
- Older Than They Look: Is 88 but appears 22.
- Survivor Guilt: She blames herself for Teo's death due to leaving Teo's side to find help.
- Happens again when she stays behind while a group of fighters confront Gandharva. She didn't go with them because she didn't have a god-level item with her - not that the items were of any use, since the group gets obliterated by Maruna.
Quarter, Birth Attributes: Kubera-Kubera-KuberaA lecturer at Kalibloom's university and Clary's sponsor. He competes in the Test of the Sword.
Half, Clan Attribute: Water, Hereditary Attributes: Sky + EarthA Gandharva Half from Kalibloom. She competes in the Test of the Sword.
- Fish People: Has a rather fishy look due to being a Gandharva Half.
- Half-Human Hybrid: She is a Half of the aquatic Gandharva clan.
- Not Herself: She attacks her allies under the effect of emotional resonance during the attack on Kalibloom. Apparently this isn't the first time this has happened; she mentions the Cataclysm during her apology to Zard.
- Older Than They Look: She's 115 but looks 28.
- Unusual Ears: Has ear fins.
Pureblood, Birth Attributes: Yama-Yama-YamaThe current Priest of Death and Airi's older brother.
- All for Nothing: The reason behind most of his actions in the second volume is to protect Laila. Immediately after he's managed to successfully manipulate Asha into murdering another Kubera name-holder in Laila's place, Laila sacrifices her lifespan anyway to summon Chandra, the God of Darkness.
- Ambiguously Evil: Although he justifies his actions by claiming that he serves The Needs of the Many, some of what he's done (like 'coincidentally' ensuring the defenses on God Kubera's artifacts were down right before Sura attacked to steal them) makes it unclear what side he's really on. The fact that he's introduced by nearly killing Leez in an attempt to win an argument with Asha doesn't help.
- The Needs of the Many: He is willing to ignore Asha's murders because he believes humanity needs her on their side, and is even willing to go so far as to suggest offering Leez as a 'sacrifice' to Yuta, allowing him to savage her repeatedly because the Golden Knight will simply heal her and because, again, humanity needs Yuta on its side. However, it's unclear whether he's being entirely honest about his actual goals...
- Obfuscating Stupidity: He acts like a goofy layabout, but he actually has a much better idea of what's really going on than almost anyone else, and most of his actions have a deeper purpose behind them. For example, his 'lazing about' in Kalibloom was (according to him) actually because he was frantically trying to get Yuta to stay on humanity's side.
Quarter, Birth Attributes: Chandra-Chandra-ChandraThe current Priest of Darkness. A hardworking woman who hides her face behind a mask.
- Beauty Mark: She has one under her left eye.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Nobody seems to care at all about her ridiculous mask, presumably because (as the Priest of Darkness) she's powerful enough to do whatever she wants.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Is the Priest of Darkness, but far from evil.
- Given Name Reveal: Her real name is Kubera.
- Gonk: Most of the time she wears a ridiculously ugly green mask that makes her look like some sort of weird monster. Since it covers her entire head, it's not even obvious at first that it's not her real face.
- Meaningful Name: "Laila" means "night" in various languages.
- Mysterious Backer: She created the A++ rank for Asha and gave her permission to use the Human Search System, despite not seeming to like her much.
- White-Haired Pretty Girl: She's implied to be extremely beautiful under her mask; the brief glimpses of parts of her face support this.
Quarter, Birth Attributes: Brahma-Brahma-BrahmaRan's older brother, Eloth's Creation Priest, and president of the Creation brand Artram.
- Aloof Big Brother: To Ran. It wasn't like this in the past, but he became distant after becoming the priest of creation.
- Almighty Janitor: He deliberately slacked off on his magic exams, so his rank is much lower than his actual ability. According to Tilda, he could have been an AA.
- Badass in a Nice Suit: Is almost always seeing a black suit.
- Barrier Maiden: A male example. He is the current priest of creation and responsible for maintaining the barrier.
- Benevolent Boss: In a bonus chapter, he's shown working as a waiter to experience the conditions his employees do.
- Big Brother Instinct: He responded so quickly to Teo's request for assistance because Ran's in Kalibloom.
- Bishōnen: The author describes him as the most handsome male character. According to Ran he has fangirls.
- Dismotivation: He slacked off on his magic exams because he didn't want to become the Priest of Creation and stay with his brother. Unfortunately, Lorraine skipped out and he has too great a sense of responsibility to do the same.
- KungFu Wizard: In addition being the priest of Creation, it is mentioned that he once reached the later stages of a previous fighter's tournament.
- The Needs of the Many: He's willing to overlook Asha's serial murder and defend her in a trial. His argument is that the lives that she's saved and can save in the future far outnumber the people she's killed.
- Promoted To Parent: Before he left for school, he was one for Ran since their parents were constantly working. However, that aspect of their relationship has faded since then.
- What the Hell, Hero?: In the past, he called out Lorraine for leading Saha on when she had no intention of marrying him.
Quarter, Birth Attributes: Surya-Surya-SuryaThe top-ranked magician on Willarv, as well as the Priest of Light and president of the Eloth Magic Guild. Lorraine's fiance. He demanded Asha's death constantly throughout her trial for 29 cases of homicide by magical accident, and argued fiercely (but unsuccessfully) for the passage of a Stolen Goods Law, which would have forced people to return stolen magical artifacts.
- Big Good: As the highest-ranking magician in the world, he's the one who takes charge when Willarv faces genuinely serious threats.
- Bishōnen: He once won a beauty contest with no makeup while in his street clothes, and as a Quarter, he ages slowly, giving him a young pretty-boy appearance.
- The Ace: Genius magician with light powers and high authority that Asha herself described as a "natural born hero".
- The Chessmaster: His real purpose in having Asha's murder trial wasn't to get the death penalty for her, it was to gather all of the top magicians in one place so he can take them to fight in Rindhallow.
- Dogged Nice Guy: To Lorraine. He's been in love with her for years, but is very understanding and tells her to do as she likes, regardless of her family pressuring her to marry him.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: He looks so feminine that his fiancee pushed him to enter a beauty contest, which he won with no makeup while in his street clothes.
- Establishing Character Moment: The first time he officially appears, he receives a report of Sura attacking a town several hundred miles away... which he detects and blasts into oblivion without leaving his seat at the Mage's guild.
- His second chapter has him breaking into tears at the realization that one of the other magicians is complicit in Asha's murders, establishing both his sense of justice and his sensitive nature. And before both of these, our first Foreshadowing about him shows his silhouette arguing fiercely for the Stolen Goods Law (which would mostly be used against magicians like him) while the other magicians are clearly bored and disinterested.
- Foil: To Asha. They're two of the most powerful magicians in the world, but Saha uses his power for the greater good, while Asha uses it for personal gain. Saha is a stereotypically feminine man, whereas Asha is a stereotypically masculine woman. The author even describes him as the most beautiful man in the world, in contrast to Asha, the most handsome woman. He also received an oracle about the god Kubera's impending demise, but both the gods who gave them the oracle and the contents of said oracle were likely very different.
- Given Name Reveal: He's Eloth's Kubera.
- Good Is Not Soft: Despite his soft and caring nature, he is utterly devoted to law and justice, and refuses to back down when he feels that someone is genuinely guilty.
- Good Is Not Dumb: He puts a lot more thought into his actions than it seems at first; in particular, his zealous prosecution of Asha is actually intended to gather as many high-ranked magicians as possible in the Aeroplateau so he can transport them all to Rindhallow and make them fight in humanity's defense.
- In Touch with His Feminine Side: Beyond his feminine Bishōnen appearance, he has a soft, sensitive personality... most of the time.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: He encourages Lorraine to live her own life, saying that he'll wait for her as long as it takes.
- Light 'em Up: As the Priest of Light, he naturally has a triple Light attribute and attacks by blasting things with massive columns of light.
- Light Is Good: He's both the Priest of Light and one of the most straightforwardly heroic characters in the series.
- Nice Guy: So long as your not Asha, he's kind, accommodating, and understanding. If you are Asha, see Good Is Not Soft.
- Sacrificial Lion: He gets killed relatively soon after being introduced in order to show just how far Asha is willing to go for her goals.
- World's Strongest Man: Officially, he is the most powerful magician on Willarv, although Asha may actually be more powerful.
Half, Clan Attribute: Wind, Hereditary Attributes: UnknownSaha On's assistant and bodyguard. Also the General Manager of the Eloth Magic Guild.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Half human, half Kinnara.
- Older Than They Look: Is over 90 years old. Looks in her early 20s.
- Photographic Memory: Why she was able to get her position despite being a Half, and therefore incapable of learning magic.
- Red Herring: She was thought to be the Kubera in Eloth.
- Subordinate Excuse: Lutz thinks so.
- The Watson: So far, her role in the story has mostly been to give Saha On someone to explain his reasoning to.
Pureblood, Birth Attributes: Agni-Agni-AgniA professor at Eloth's university.
- Early-Bird Cameo: She is one of the Priest Candidates shown to have been chased off by Brilith's success.
- Gossipy Hens: With her colleague Erin.
- Tragic Bigot: She hates Halfs because her parents, husband, and children were killed by Halfs during the Cataclysm.
- Vain Sorceress: She wears a lot of makeup.
Quarter, Birth Attributes: Vayu-Vayu-VayuThe Priestess of Wind in Aeroplateau, and an old acquaintance of Asha.
- An Arm and a Leg: She has prosthetic legs.
- Birds of a Feather: With Leez. They both suffered the loss of their home and loved ones, but tried to smile though it in fear that the only other people they knew would leave them if they didn't.
- Early-Bird Cameo: She makes a brief appearance in chapter 6 during Brilith's exposition about magic, but doesn't actually show up in the storyline until over 200 chapters later.
- Child Prodigy: She was one before the destruction of Carte; her ability has dropped considerably since then, but her wind magic is still unparalleled.
- Dark and Troubled Past: She's a survivor from Carte.
- Foil: To Asha.
- Both are survivors from Carte who were rescued by Rao Leez.
- Mirha was offered Visnu's deal, but rejected it.
- Both are powerful magicians whose magical ability was affected during Carte's destruction. Mirha's abilities were hampered, while Asha gained them.
- Both have relationships with Leez that are affected by their past with her father.
- Mirha is kind and supportive towards Leez. She empathizes with her situation, and spends time with her.
- Asha is very cold towards Leez. She treats her as an inconvenience, and doesn't consider her suffering comparable to her own.
- Girls Love Stuffed Animals: Her room is full of them.
- King Incognito: She wears sunglasses, a hat, and a heavy jacket when she goes out so people don't recognize her.
- Older Than They Look: She's a Quarter.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: The fake name she gives Leez is "Mir." However, she intended it to be temporary from the start as she wanted to get to know Leez without any preconceptions staining the girl's behavior.
- Stepford Smiler: When she was young, she acted a lot like Leez did, smiling so she wouldn't be left alone.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: In contrast to her yellow eyes. The difference is what makes Leez realize she's a Quarter.
Pureblood, Birth Attributes: Indra-Indra-IndraThe Priest of Sky in Aeroplateau, and Mirha's father.
Half, Clan Attribute: Fire, Hereditary Attribute: DestructionThe only dragon Half on the planet, and strong enough to fight multiple higher-level sura on his own. Famous across the world.
- Action Dad: As a 132 years-old dragon Half, he has the power of a 5th stage Rakshasa. He also has a 32 year old daughter.
- Aloof Older Brother: Whether he likes it or not (he doesn't), he's developing this kind of semi-relationship-thing with Yuta. It's kind of crossed with being a reluctant master to a particularly difficult apprentice. But, if a Half-Dragon can't help steer Yuta through through adolescence, nobody can.
- Commonality Connection: There's a lot he finds irritating about Yuta and is justifiably suspicious of his role and background. But, they both realise that they have a lot in common, even if they are likely to wind up at odds down the line. And, both could get something out of any relationship they cobble together.
- Human Mom, Non-Human Dad: His parents were a Quarter and a Nastika. Their story is told in the side novel The Finite.
- Overprotective Dad: He doesn't like it when someone else calls her 'Princess'.
- Papa Wolf: He jumps between this and Parental Neglect as the result of his dragon side. When he wears the earrings, he is a caring, cheerful dad. But when he takes them off, he becomes cold-blooded and extremely neglectful of his daughter. That said, there are signs that he does care for her even in that state.
- Pre-Mortem One-Liner: To Samphati:Those great transcendentals of yours.. Go ahead and use them over there.'''"There" being inhabited by hostile Takara sura
- The Stoic: As a dragon half, he's almost completely emotionless when he's not wearing his earrings.
- Not So Stoic: His emotions are more muted than nonexistent, and he infrequently expresses frustration in his inability to feel without the earrings.
- Uncertain Doom: At the end of the second season: he hasn't returned from the Cresent Gate. Yuta's not sure if the beings that reside within would have seen him as an enemy and killed him, or as an ally.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Inverted. He's trying to make things up to Agwen for his actions during the Cataclysm, if stunted and awkwardly.
- Winged Humanoid: He can manifest wings of black fire/smoke to fly.
- Unable to Cry: At least, not without his earrings. After his Emotional Resonance induced rampage during the Cataclysm, he shows no emotion, despite having killed his wife. A distraught Agwen asks why he can't even shed a single tear for what he has done. Kasak responds that he can only do so if he has his earrings, as he doesn't feel love for his late wife or his daughter without them. He then tells Agwen that if she wants him to cry she will have to help him find his earrings.
Quarter, Birth Attributes: Agni-Agni-AgniKasak's daughter, and a professor at the magic university in Eloth.
- Hot Witch: She's a magician, and her hat is very reminiscent of a witch hat. She even has a staff that resembles a brook.
- Locked Out of the Loop: She seems unaware that Shess is a superior sura. When Agni questions her, she refers to him as an old acquaintance of her father's and is confused as to why he would ask.
- What Beautiful Eyes!: She inherited her blue eyes from Utpala.
Sura and Sura Clans in General
The enemies of the gods and by extension humankind. They are ageless monsters that develop in stages and possess many powerful and dangerous abilities.
- The Ageless: Sura can't die of age.
- Alien Blood: Some sura have normal red blood, but others bleed purple or black (like the Taraka clan).
- Animalistic Abomination: The lesser sura may actually fit this trope better by virtue of looking rather similar to various members of the animal kingdoms (and dragons). The exception to the rule appears to be the Taraka clan, which definitely is on the more eldritch side of things aesthetics-wise.
- Anti-Magic/Power Nullifier: The Taraka can seal off all mortal magic and the vast majority of sura magic with their open eyes.
- Armor Is Useless: There are enough transcendentals that ignore armor that it's practically worthless.
- Authority Equals Asskicking/Asskicking Equals Authority: How the sura run their clans. If a King dies, the strongest sura (a Nastika) will succeed him/her.
- Bizarre Alien Biology: Sura are (with rare exceptions) carnivores. All sura are decended from the Nastikas and are weaker the more distant the line of descent. Sura with human forms do not actually wear clothing, but parts of their sura form that take the form of clothing.
- Nastika were born as adults at the dawn of the universe. They have a human form and a sura form. They can switch genders at will (except for the Vritra) and have a degree of control over their appearance.
- Rakshasa are sura with at least one Nastika parent. Like the Nastika, they have a human form and a sura form. However, their gender is determined by the amount of time their parents spent as male or female. They age in a series of five stages with only the first resembling conventional growth. They have to be in their human form to grow into their next stage, which requires the Rakshasa to accumulate a certain level of experience and a trigger of some sort. The growth is abrupt, lasting seconds at most, and can cause dramatic shifts in the Rakshasa's personality.
- Upani are sura with at least one Rakshasa parent. Like the Rakshasa, they grow in a series of five stages, but they do not gain a human form until they reach their fourth stage.
- Mara are sura with Upani parents. They grow in a series of three stages and do not obtain a human form.
- Blue and Orange Morality: Sura place no value on life itself. They think nothing of murder for food or fun and only bother learning not to kill fellow clan members or allies.
- Born as an Adult: The Nastika
- The Dreaded: To humans, a sura is an immense danger and an object of hatred and fear. Asha, who is quite possibly the strongest magician on Willarv, states that she can defeat any Upani easily so long as they aren't fifth stage. Upani are far weaker than Rakshasa and Nastika.
- The Taraka clan. While physically weak (although they are getting stronger now that their King has developed), their Zerg Rush tendencies and the fact that Nastika transformations into sura form are considered transcendentals (therefore, sealed by the Chaos eyes and handicapping the strongest fighters of any clan) makes them dangerous when they get serious.
- Eldritch Abomination: The Kings in particular. They are immortal and powerful beings who have existed since the start of this universe that can kill even gods. Gandharva, even at his smallest size, dwarfs Kalibloom.
- Gender Bender:
- The Nastikas can change their gender at will (the male forms are generally stronger than female). And a Rakshasa's gender is determined by the time each parent (if they are both Nastika) has spent as each gender, which means there are more males than females.
- The Vritra's clan Nastika used to have both males and females, but after the deal with Visnu, they all changed to male and lost their gender bender ability.
- Healing Factor: They can regenerate very quickly, and it's one of their primary defenses. The other is DODGE!!!.
- Humanoid Abomination: All superior sura have human forms.
- Immortality Begins at 20: 5th stage (full grown) rakshasa look like young adults.
- Little Bit Beastly: Even in human form, every sura has a few non-human traits. Some have fur on their arms and legs, others have fangs or Unusual Ears like bird wings, fish fins, animals ears, and so on. The lower the sura's rank, the more traits are retained from their sura form.
- Monster Progenitor: The Nastika
- The Needless: The nastika don't need to eat at all, they recover vigor by resting, which can be as simple as lounging about for a while. Rakshasa only need to eat to replenish vigor, and even that goes away once they reach their fifth stage. Sura don't sleep.
- Oedipus Complex/Daddy's Girl: The relationship of a sura with his/her father. A male sura will usually compete with his father for his mother's affection, and the father can even kill the son for that. In contrast, a female Sura is usually loved and spoiled by her father, even more if she resembles her mother.
- One Degree of Separation: Justified. All nastika were born at the dawn of the universe and the rakshasa are their kids. It would be stranger if they didn't all know each other somehow.
- One Name Only: Sura don't seem to use any sort of family name. They do re-use names, though.
- Shapeshifter Default Form: Sura with human forms only take their sura forms to hunt or fight.
- She Is the King: The leader of the clan is called the king regardless of their preferred gender.
- Snake People: The Ananta Clan.
- Time Abyss: The Nastika were born at the beginning of the universe.
Clan Attribute: Earth
Nastika, Source Attribute: SkyFirst King of the Ananta clan. Was said to be the strongest being in the universe.
- The Ace: He was good at everything.
- Plot-Triggering Death: He was killed by God Kubera, which seems to have indirectly kickstarted the plot.
- Oblivious to Love: He was unaware of Sagara's affections and sincerely congradulated her each time she told him about a new lover.
- Posthumous Character: He died around 500 years before the start of the webtoon.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Basically everyone agrees that he was the best Nastika, not just in terms of strength but leadership and character. When Taksaka was rampaging through his clan, Ananta (who was strong enough to defeat even Taksaka) instead figured out a way to calm him down without killing him, since the Dragon clan couldn't reproduce and he didn't want to reduce their numbers any further.
- Too Dumb to Live: He trusted the one who was after his life. Sagara of all people admit this on one of her thoughts on the matter.
- World's Strongest Man: Even long after his death, the current strongest man in the world, Vritra, is still only known as the "strongest being in a universe without Ananta."
Nastika, Source Attribute: SkySecond King and Sagara's former lover.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: When Ananta died, he encouraged Sagara to leave him and be with Vasuki, the strongest in the clan after Ananta. It turned out to be unnecessary; Vasuki took his female form, which is weaker then Manasvin's male form, so Sagara could have both the power she sought and be with the man she loved.
- Posthumous Character: Although we don't know how he died.
- What Does He See in Her?: Most people can't understand why he loved Sagara so much. He says it's because she's very honest about herself.
Nastika, Source Attribute: Darkness
Third and current King of the clan. She is currently working with god Kubera for some unknown purpose.
- A Mother to Her Men: She treats her subordinates surprisingly well, often discuss her plans with the Rakshasa and won't put them in suicidal situation just to save her own life, quite the opposite. At least one time she put herself in mortal danger to let Riagara and Pingara escape safely from an opponent they couldn't defeat.
- She's also heavily implied to literally be the mother of the Rakshasas she leads. Riagara's attributes and appearance are a mix of Sagara and Vasuki's, while Pingara's attributes and appearance are a mix of her and Manasvin's. Cloche and Clophe's ancestry is a little more unclear, but if Sagara was one of their parents then the other one would have been a Water-Light Rakshasa.
- Asskicking Equals Authority: Subverted, Sagara not the strongest Nastika in the clan, Vasuki is, but since she has his backing, no one else can go against her.
- Chekhov's Gunman: She's first seen in a brief flashback panel alongside Manasvin (Ep. 20) without any indication that she would become one of the ten main characters.
- Enemy Mine: She hates God Kubera, but works with him to resurrect Ananta.
- Foil: To Brilith, who was likewise thrust into a leadership role far beyond her abilities, but who, unlike her, has managed to become a beloved leader thanks to Agni. Needless to say, this infuriates Sagara.
- Gender Bender: While all Nastika can change gender at will, Sagara is notable for doing it so frequently. This is because she, like most sura, is stronger in her male form. However, she personally prefers her female form.
- God Save Us from the Queen!: She's generally spiteful, jealous, and willing to cause large amounts of suffering to those around her to attain her goals... though as she points out, she's Not So Different from Gandharva.
- Hero Killer: A surprisingly unlucky example given that she successfully killed Brilith, Leez and Teo only for them to be brought back to life in separate ways.
- Jerkass: She is power-hungry, vain, ruthless and cruel. This is actually why Manasvin loved her; unlike other people, she was actually honest with herself, rather than hiding under claims of good intentions.
- Jerkass Has a Point: When she says that she's Not So Different from Gandharva, she has a point; both of them are terrible leaders who are sacrificing the interests of their entire clan for incredibly selfish reasons, as well as being in denial when it comes to seeing their loved ones again, although she probably didn't realize that.
- Also, she condemns Agni for killing the God of Death purely to bring a mortal he loved back to life. While the story is romantic and all, when you think about it, she has a point; it was a pretty selfish thing to do.
- Make Them Rot: Her "Fatal Touch" transcendental makes the target rot. She uses it to try to kill Brilith.
- Morality Pet: Vasuki is other nastika she currently cares about. However, he's in Taksaka's nest, which is quite possibly the safest place in the universe. So, she endangers the sura back in the sura realm anyway.
- Nigh-Invulnerability: Her "King of Toxic Mist" unique transcendental gives her the Made of Air variety.
- Please Don't Leave Me: A flashback has her saying something like this to Ananta, when she is trying to persuade him not to do a Heroic Sacrifice. It's even sadder as you see everything from her point of view, and the text gets bigger as she starts screaming, and becomes much smaller immediately after, as if she started sobbing.
- Really Gets Around: Apparently, she had a lot of lovers and enough children that she can't remember all of them. However, considering her age, this is likely the case for many Nastika.
- Seeks Another's Resurrection: To be more precise, she seeks to revive Ananta, even when Agni warns her against it.
- Smug Snake: She's really not as clever as she thinks she is, and most of the rest of the Ananta Nastika consider her a disaster of a King. Despite this flaw, she appears capable of learning from her mistakes and even respecting her opponents to a point, as is evident in her approach with the attack on Kalibloom in contrast to the one on Atera.
- Subordinate Excuse: When Ananta was alive, she was his direct subordinate.
- Vain Sorceress: She loves her appearance so much that she actually spares a human because he calls her beautiful, and prefers to stay in her female form even though it is weaker than her male form.
- Although possible that she did so in order to stay close to the center of power in her clan, as the sura go by Asskicking Equals Authority and the three strongest Nastika were all male, flashbacks indicate she might have truly loved their first king, Ananta, rather than simply desiring a position of power. She remains in female form in the human realm, where it would not be necessary if she only used it for seduction.
- Villainous Underdog: While she is the most obvious opponent of humanity, among the non-human characters she is often outclassed, and in general has a relatively small destructive power, with even some of her subordinates surpassing her in strength. At least until she regains her sealed transcendentals in season 2.
Nastika, Source Attribute: FireA former lover of Sagara's, and the expected next in line when Ananta died.
- Gender Bender: Changed into female form to avoid being the king as fem!Vasuki is weaker than male!Manasvin.
- In-Series Nickname: Taksaka and Riagara call him "Huia".
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: He chose to be female so Sagara could continue to be with Manasvin while having the power she wanted. Once Manasvin died, he backed her up so she could become king of the clan.
- Morality Pet: Deliberately took on this role for Taksaka in the backstory — although he was more like The Lancer than a traditional morality pet, he was the only one who could keep Taksaka's anger in check.
Rakshasa, Hereditary Attributes: Fire + DarknessSagara's greatest supporter, not to mention one of the most powerful Ananta Rakshasa.
- Creepily Long Arms: Her arms are very large and end in claws. They are the one thing that she can't change in human form.
- Fiery Redhead: Played with. She has red hair and her hereditary attribute is fire, but her personality is very calm.
- Form-Fitting Wardrobe: Wears a dark red bodysuit.
- In-Series Nickname: Vasuki calls her "Ria".
- Undying Loyalty: Sagara does no wrong in her eyes.
Rakshasa, Hereditary Attributes: Sky + DarknessOne of Sagara's followers. A 4th stage Rakshasa.
- Ambiguous Gender: Their gender has not been revealed. Even in their official profile their gender is listed as "unknown."
- Invisibility: One of their transcendentals makes them invisible and immaterial.
- Shadow Walker: Can use this to observe without being noticed.
- Stealth Expert: They have several transcendentals useful to spying and escaping. In the second season they went to observe Teo and her pack of fighter from up close, so that Sagara could devise an appropriate strategy.
Rakshasa, Hereditary Attributes: Darkness + LightOne of Sagara's followers. A 4th stage Rakshasa, her older sibling is Clophe.
- Crippling Overspecialization: She has powerful transcendentals, but she is helpless if her opponents are fast enough to prevent her from using them.
- Guys Smash, Girls Shoot: She is more focused on transcendentals, while Clophe is focused on hand-to-hand combat.
- Kicking Ass in All Her Finery: She wears a yellow gown in human form, even while going into battle.
- Regal Ringlets: Pulled back into Girlish Pigtails.
Rakshasa, Hereditary Attributes: Darkness + WaterOne of Sagara's followers. A 3rd stage Rakshasa, his younger sibling is Cloche.
- Little Big Brother: People often assume that he is the younger sibling because he's in his third stage and thus looks younger than Cloche, who is in her fourth stage.
- Cute Mute: As with all Rakshasa, he cannot speak out loud; he takes this Up to Eleven by refusing to speak even in sura speech unless he is alone with Cloche.
- Guys Smash, Girls Shoot: Is much better at hand-to-hand combat than his transcendental-focused sister.
- Hand-Hiding Sleeves: His sleeves are very long and loose, concealing his blue, clawed hands.
Clan Attribute: Darkness
Rakshasa, Hereditary Attributes: Resurrection + WindAn Rakshasa on loan to the Ananta Clan to cement their alliance. His (or her; he has no actual gender) trollish nature and self-resurrection ability mean the others let him get killed far more than he would like.
- An Adventurer is You: He's the Tank, of course; unusual for a tank, his human form is slender and unassuming, and his Sura form is far smaller than most, but he makes up for it with regeneration that makes him almost impossible to kill and transcendentals to redirect magical attacks to himself.
- Ambiguous Gender: His appearance is entirely androgynous, which makes sense when you find out that he actually has No Biological Sex.
- Auto-Revive: He comes back to life automatically when killed — up to twelve times a day.
- Beware the Silly Ones: He comes across as a complete goofball, if a clever one. Then he forces Cloche to retreat with him by knocking out Clophe, taking him as a hostage, and threatening to kill him. When he decides how things should go, he does not screw around.
- The Friend Nobody Likes: Nobody in the Sura alliance likes him, since he spends all his time needling them.
- Good Thing You Can Heal: Invoked; his two main powers are the ability to regenerate from almost anything (including, up to twelve time a day, death) and the ability to redirect attacks to himself. Needless to say, he gets blown up a lot while tanking for everyone else, and is frequently shown dying instantly (sometimes multiple times) to underline how powerful a particular attack is.
- Healing Factor: In addition to his ridiculous regeneration, Hura's unique transcendental allows him to come back from the dead up to twelve times in rapid succession, making him almost impossible to kill.
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: He has four arms, although he normally keeps two of them concealed under his cloak.
- No Biological Sex: Although others use male pronouns for him, he (like half of the members of the Asura clan) is physically sexless; it's unclear whether he identifies as male or whether members of other clans refer to him as that purely for convenience.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Although he seems like a goofball and a layabout, his effectiveness at needling the others make it clear that he's smarter than he lets on.
- Troll: Hura delights in needling the people around him; this actually suits his abilities well, in that he's mostly ineffectual offensively but is incredibly good at trolling opponents into wasting their time attacking his nearly-invulnerable regenerating body.
Clan Attribute: Water
Nastika, Source Attribute: ResurrectionFirst and current king of the clan. He is one of the major players in the current plot.
- Anti-Villain: He just wants to find his daughter. Sagara mocks this attitude given the hypocrisy evident in it. See Noble Demon.
- Berserker Tears: This is actually one of his abilities. His unique transcendental "Frozen Tears" can only be used when he is crying.
- Beyond the Impossible: He took his sura form in the human realm, something that should've been impossible for a nastika after the Cataclysm.
- Birds of a Feather: The parallels between his situation with Shakuntala and Teo's situation with her parents are what initially make him start sympathizing with her.
- Bishounen: His human guise has a slight, delicate appearance. He's perfectly happy to take advantage of this.
- Blood Knight: He rather enjoys combat against stronger gods, and his attitude toward such fights is akin to a cat playing with its prey. In the past, a request for assistance in a war to save Ananta from the gods actually piqued his interest before Makara and Menaka intervened with their respective suggestions.
- Cry Cute: Despite all the terrible things he has done, it hard not to pity him when he cries for his daughter.
- Despair Event Horizon: After Sagara kills Teo, making him realize how he caused the death of countless innocents for a void hope.
- The Ditherer: Often finds himself hesitant when forced to make difficult choices. This backfired badly on him in the past when his hesitation apparently led to Menaka's death as well as in the present day, when his failure to choose one side or another in time got Teo killed, at least temporarily.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: Averted. Maruna initially saw him as one, because he made him endure harsh training to develop, but later, when faced with the brutality of Samphati's training, he actually realized that Gandharva was going quite easy on him.
- The Dreaded: Was this before meeting Menaka, when he was still at full power. They say that even the strongest among the Nastika were afraid of him. Also lampshaded by Cloche when Sagara was about to press his Berserk Button.
- Eyepatch of Power: He wears an eyepatch in his human guise to conceal his blue right eye, which is the one sura trait he can't change when in human form.
- Heel–Face Door-Slam: A self-inflicted one given that he thinks himself unworthy of being Agni's ally given all the terrible things he's done. It's more psychological than anything given that his following actions are pretty standard for a Heel–Face Turn and his thoughts on the matter suggest that he might have become The Atoner.
- Heel–Face Turn: Several signs through the whole story imply that it is going to happen eventually. It seems this finally happened after the Frozen Tears arc.
- Heel Realization: While there had been moments where he clearly felt uncomfortable, Teo's death and Maruna's slaughter of the humans who confront him after his conversation with Agni make him realize just how horrible his actions have been until that point.
- An Ice Person: He prefers to use ice in battle.
- Love Makes You Evil and Crazy: Just see what he can do for Menaka, Shakuntala or Teo.
- Love Redeems: Before meeting his wife, he was cruel and even feared by other Nastika due his power and behaviour.
- Getting to know Teo made him consider if he could really justify what he's done.
- Making a Splash: The king of a clan whose element is water. His source element would likely be better for healing, possibly explaining why his attacks are water based.
- The Mentor: A combination of this and Parental Substitute to Maruna.
- Moral Myopia: He just wants to find his daughter. Never mind the body count. He later grows out of this.
- The Mourning After: Has yet to remarry after Menaka's death. In fact, rather than find a new mate, he decided to focus on caring for and protecting their daughter instead.
- My God, What Have I Done?:His reaction to the latter event and how what Maruna did pretty much applies to all the bad things he's done just to find Shakuntala, and implicitly even before then. It also leads to
- Noble Demon: He will pay his debt and keep his promises (as far as the situation allows). Sagara repeatedly mocks him for this attitude, and events in the Frozen Tears arc deconstruct this trope in regards to Gandharva.
- Oblivious to Love: He's completely oblivious to Teo's crush.
- Overprotective Dad: He didn't even try to hide his hostility when Shakuntala expressed her fondness for Maruna. However, the trope is played more seriously otherwise. Given that his wife was killed and Shakuntala had previously been kidnapped, his attitude was rather justified, even if said daughter was all too well aware of how much she burdened him as a result.
- Parental Substitute: He seems to be a bit of one towards Maruna, who shows more concern about Gandharva being missing for a few days than his own father's coma.
- Pet the Dog: He is willing to spare certain humans in targeted areas if they amuse him and aid Halfs being transported by Half hunters (although this was also in part out of pragmatism).
- As with many other things, this is also deconstructed:
- He spared Leez due to finding her amusing, and in doing so unknowingly allowed his quarry to escape, although Maruna is more thorough in his approach.
- When he attempts to do the same with Teo, said individual points out point-blank that she has no desire to be spared if the rest of the people in Kalibloom are slaughtered, finding such behavior cowardly. This, and Sagara's own comments about the situation force Gandharva to confront the fact that, in the end, engaging in this trope does not make him the slightest bit innocent of his role in the massacre of countless humans.
- As with many other things, this is also deconstructed:
- Think Nothing of It: His response after Elwin unknowingly thanks him for keeping her company before she returned to Kalibloom.
- Worthy Opponent: With Agni. It got into some really convoluted and complex frenemy territory centuries ago, and just keeps getting more... solid. It's arguably the case that Gandharva currently feels closer to Agni than he does any other Nastika or Astika, despite technically being on the "wrong" side to keep their relationship as cordial as he might like to.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: He has bright green hair. It's blue in his sura form, and later switches to blue in his human form as well.
Nastika, Source Attribute: WindShakuntala's mother and Gandharva's late wife. She was killed long before the story began.
- Actual Pacifist: Convinced Gandharva to not get involved with matters that didn't concern their clan.
- Pacifism Backfire: Unfortunately, her influence was one of the first steps in what would lead to her clan's downfall.
- The whole thing gets verbally deconstructed by Manasvin during a flashback to the incident, namely the Gandharva clan's refusal to aid in the rescue of Ananta, leading to the latter's death, with him commenting on how such behavior is nothing more than undeserved self-righteousness during times when action might actually be needed for the sake of others in need of help.
- The Lost Lenore: Gandharva has yet to remarry since her passing, and at some points thinks back on her.
- Morality Pet: To Gandharva; apparently he was extremely vicious before meeting her.
- Posthumous Character: Apparently, she was killed by the gods.
Rakshasa, Hereditary Attributes: Resurrection + WindGandharva's daughter, known for looking and acting much like her mother. Most sura assume she is dead; Gandharva has practically sold himself into slavery on the slim chance that she's not.
- Daddy's Girl: She was Gandharva's little princess and she adored him just as much as he did her.
- Ill Girl: She spent an abnormally short amount of time in each growth stage, which made her very weak. The poisonous air in the sura realm (and lack of an ocean) certainly didn't help.
- Innocent Flower Girl: Often seen in flashbacks in flower fields, or making flower wreaths.
- Morality Pet: Takes on this role for Gandharva after Menaka's death.
- Morality Chain: Maruna sees her more as this when ruminating on the seeming hopelessness of Gandharva's quest to find her.
- Precocious Crush: Print Bonus material suggests that she had one on Agni, who saved her life as a child.
- Uncertain Doom: While she's widely believed to be dead, it's unconfirmed precisely when or how she might have died.
Nastika, Source Attribute: DarknessSecond in command of the clan and Gandharva's right hand man.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Despite his appearance, he appears to have been loyal to his king and a source of good counsel.
- The Friend Nobody Likes: His gloomy personality means, despite his loyalty and competence, few people actually like him. He defused a potential rebellion by reminding everyone that if they overthrew Gandharva, he would become king, a prospect they found unnerving enough to back down.
- Hypercompetent Sidekick: It's telling that after the Cataclysm, Makara was trusted to handle dealing with an unruly crowd of fellow clan members unhappy about the clan's situation.
- Number Two: To Gandharva.
Nastika, Source Attribute: SkyA Nastika from the Gandharva clan. He was a longtime friend of Menaka and helped look after Shakuntala.
- Horned Humanoid: Supplementary materials state he has small horns hidden in his hair.
- Multicolored Hair: He has blue hair close to the roots, and purple hair closer to the ends.
- Posthumous Character: As revealed by Sagara's transcendental, Urvasi is dead.
- World's Most Beautiful Woman: In female form, Urvasi is one of the great beauties of the sura.
Clan Attribute: Sky
Nastika, Source Attribute: LightFirst king of the clan. Father of Maruna, Yuta, and Kalavinka. Went into a coma after the Cataclysm.
Rakshasa, Hereditary Attributes: Light + FireGaruda's eldest (living) son. His father sent him to the Gandharva clan to be raised by by their king, as they were friends.
- Ain't Too Proud to Beg: For all his haughty behavior, he doesn't hesitate to beg for Gandharva to please, please save Samphati.
- Aloof Ally: To God Kubera and the Ananta clan. Especially with the latter, since he feeds on the lesser sura to replenish his vigor.
- Aloof Big Brother: To Yuta.
- Berserk Button: Don't insult Gandharva. He's broken jaws and then some for calling Gandharva's eye stupid.
- Big Brother Instinct: He went through Training from Hell so he could retrieve his younger siblings safety.
- Blue and Orange Morality: Very, very much on display. From seeing nothing wrong with destroying an entire human-held planet (because they're only human, duh), attempting to decimate another, eating Sura allies (non-mission-critical ones) when he needs a boost, going out of his way for others he finds enjoyable to be around, having a rigid honour system he sticks to... Maruna displays every Sura trait Yuta has ever described.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: He's not evil per say, merely antagonistic, but he loves his younger siblings dearly and clearly worries about Gandharva.
- Everyone Has Standards: He's visibly enraged by slavers and considers them to be filth.
- Enemy Mine: He's only working with Sagara as part of a deal to find his siblings. Otherwise, they're enemies/prey.
- Fantastic Racism: He looks down on humans, but views Halfs like sura.
- Implied Death Threat: When he demands to know why Gandharva's in Kalibloom.
- Maruna: Answer me quickly, Cloche. I'm hungry.
- Known Only by Their Nickname: "Maruna" isn't his real name.
- Noble Demon: As long as he's dealing with Halfs or other Sura, at least. He went out of his way to keep Kasak's daughter safe while fighting him (even when Kasak didn't seem to care), and tried to treat Elwin well despite holding her as a hostage.
- Not So Stoic: He drops his cold attitude in front of his siblings and (to a lesser extent) Gandharva.
- Pet the Dog: He saved Elwin from becoming Upani food even after the sura had gotten what they wanted by catching her.
- Really 700 Years Old: He's somewhere over 1000.
- The Stoic: He's very reserved, though as Gandharva notes, he does have a playful side.
Rakshasa, Hereditary Attributes: Light + FireThe youngest child of Garuda, and Maruna and Yuta's younger sister. When the three siblings split up, she went with Visnu to Willarv.
Rakshasa, Hereditary Attributes: Light + DarknessAn emotionless 5th stage Rakshasa, who seeks revenge for her sister's death. Currently aiding the Ananta Clan to achieve her goal.
- Emotionless Girl: Her abrupt development to 5th stage left her mostly emotionless.
- Flower in Her Hair: Pink flowers with feathers. The feathers belonged to her sister.
- Humanoid Abomination: Her sura form is a gigantic Winged Humanoid. She's so big, Kasak looks like a small lizard on her forearm.
- Oh, Crap!: When Kasak opens the Crescent Gate during their battle, Samphati is visibly scared.
- Revenge: Seeks to avenge her dead sister.
- Revenge Before Reason: When her mother tries to talk her into finding the true culprit behind her sister's death, she mindlessly repeats that it was Yuta's fault and no one else's.
- Revenge by Proxy: She plans to kill Leez to make Yuta suffer.
- Training from Hell: Inflicts one on poor Maruna. He later thinks that, in comparison, training under Gandharva was like heaven.
- Uncanny Valley Girl: Seems to have some kind of mental instability because of her sudden development. And, this carries over in each of her forms. Even her huge Sura form would be "rather pretty" for a 5th Stage female Rakshasa. Her mind, however... still eerily off-kilter.
Nastika, Source Attribute: UnknownA Garuda Nastika who's currently the second strongest of her Clan. Samphati's mother.
Rakshasa, Hereditary Attributes: UnknownA Garuda Rakshasa who died many years ago. Yuta's friend, Samphati's sister, and Akasha's daughter.
- Cute Little Fangs: They look slightly more vicious than the usual fair, but she's still very cute.
- Eaten Alive: Considering Yuta's dining habits and that she's confirmed to have been eaten, this is likely how she died.
- Only Friend: She was likely Yuta's very first friend.
- Posthumous Character: She died long before the narrative picked up, but has a large impact on the storyline.
Clan Attribute: Wind
Rakshasa, Hereditary Attributes: Light + UnknownThe son of the current king of the Kinnara Clan. He was born shortly after the universe was created, making him the oldest Rakshasa alive. Due to circumstances, he hasn't been able to reach 5th stage.
- Real Men Wear Pink: Has pink hair and eyes, and wears pink clothes. And, love kids! Sura, half, quarter or human, Shess is a kid-magnet.
- Badass and Child Duo: With Leny. He may not seems much of a badass on first glance, but he is one.
- Horned Humanoid: He has a pair of dark horns poking out of his hair.
- Time Abyss: He was born near the beginning of the universe.
- Would Hurt a Child: Mentioned having beaten a young Kasak when preventing him from pursuing Maruna. However, given what Shess is usually like around kids (a great, big, protective softy), he was likely being Cruel to Be Kind. Kasak is quite durable (and stubborn), after all; but, there was no way he could have survived taking Maruna on as a kid.
Half, Hereditary Attributes: Earth + WaterA Kinnara Half adopted by Shess.
- Bad Liar: She quickly tries to backtrack on her comment about the sura realm being unpleasant, which Shess calls her on.
- Curtains Match the Window: Unusually for a half, she has purple hair and eyes.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Half Kinnara.
- Happily Adopted: She's doesn't like the Sura realm very much, but she happy under his care.
- Horned Humanoid: She's depicted with short, blunt horns on the sides of her head in Season 3.
Clan Attribute: Fire
The Vritra Clan in General
- Our Dragons Are Different: They are Sura and share most Sura abilities and attributes, including shapeshifting; in dragon form, they appear somewhere midway between Eastern and Western dragons.
- One-Gender Race: The power of the dragon's breath was balanced out by the unexplained but highly consistent deaths of any two dragons that fell in love. Due to that, the dragon clan was dying out very, very quickly at the beginning of the universe. Since the Primeval Gods didn't want the clan to go extinct, they agreed to fiddle with the laws of reality a bit. In exchange for dragon Halves having the full power of rakshasa, the clan all lost their female forms and became almost entirely emotionless.
- Power at a Price/Equivalent Exchange: At the beginning of the universe, the Vritra made a deal with Visnu. Because the dragons had such powerful breath weapons, they couldn't have children and would die if they tried. Visnu fixed this for them, but at a price: All the dragons had to become male permanently, and any Half that lives past a hundred years would have the power of a 5th stage Rakshasa. The catch here is that along with losing their gender-bender ability, the dragons also lost their emotions and thus no longer had much interest in expanding their dominance, preferring to sleep in their nests. Even worse is that the mothers of Halfs would have to loose eighty years of their life to give birth, deceasing the dragons' desire to have children even more.
- The Stoic: In addition to being made a single-gender race, dragons were stripped of most of their emotions so they wouldn't reproduce. Some of them kept one emotion very strongly, though, like Taksaka's anger or Vritra's obsession with fighting Taksaka.
Nastika, Source Attribute: UnknownFirst and current king of the clan. Also the strongest being in the universe after Ananta's death.
- Always Someone Better: Ananta is this to him. Even now that Ananta is dead, Vritra's title is only "strongest in the world without Ananta."
- Willfully Weak: Even though he is the strongest person in the world, he was even stronger in his female form - enough to give Ananta a run for his money. He gave it up (agreeing for all dragons to be made male when it was necessary for them to become a One-Gender Race) because most other dragons are stronger in their male forms, so it was better that way for the clan as a whole.
- World's Strongest Man: Now that Ananta is dead. However, he's been somehow weakened and the position currently belongs to Taksaka.
Nastika, Source Attribute: DestructionThe Destruction Dragon, second-in-command of the clan. Kasak's father and Agwen's grandfather. His only emotion is anger. He is one of the two protagonists of The Finite, a side-novel.
- Abusive Parents: He was one to Kasak, who recalls being beat by him frequently.
- Interspecies Romance: With Ian, a Quarter.
- Morality Pet: Deliberately invoked by Vasuki, who chose to live with him to try and control Taksaka's Unstoppable Rage.
- Played straight with Ian Rajof, who calmed his anger and made him promise not to get into too many fights.
- Signature Move: His invisible fire, which Kasak inherited.
- Unstoppable Rage: Constantly and with almost no need for provocation. His only emotion is anger.
- World's Strongest Man: Funnily enough, The Finite side story actually says Taksaka is now the strongest being in the universe because Vritra has been somehow weakened. Taksaka has enough power that he can threaten Visnu, one of the Primeval Gods, and make the god of resurrection afraid.
Nastika, Source Attribute: WaterAt the beginning of the universe, Utpala was female and in love with Taksaka; she protested the strongest at the demand that all the dragons become male, and retained more emotions than most afterwards. Her strongest emotion, however, was envy, leading to constant conflict with anyone else who Taksaka got close to. She's a major character in The Finite, but is dead in the main timeline and does not appear in the webtoon proper.
- All Love Is Unrequited: She knew that Taksaka couldn't return her feelings due to the circumstances of the Vritra clan, but was satisfied with the promise that she would always be "the dragon closest to him."
- Exact Words: When Taksaka starts living with Vasuki (who was the only one who could stop him if he went on a rampage) she is extremely upset because he promised that she would always be the one closest to him; he, however, points out that he said she'd always be the dragon closest to him, and Vasuki is not a dragon. This leads to their falling out.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Her driving emotion; she is bitterly envious of anyone else who gets close to Taksaka. Or not. In reality, she managed to get over her envy generations ago when she realized she had sired a half-dragon.
- Incompatible Orientation: In addition to suffering from being forced to become permanently male, she found that Taksaka no longer tolerated her in that form.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Contrary to the envy we're initially led to believe, seeing Taksaka with Ian actually makes her happy, since Ian is her descendant; and she ultimately chooses to die without revealing the truth of the attack on Ian's village to Taksaka, in order to protect him from the person who is really responsible.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: She is actually Ian's ancestor.
- Posthumous Character: She's dead by the time the main story takes place.
- Taking the Heat: She allows Taksaka to believe that she was responsible for destroying Ian Rajof's village, and lets him kill her so she can die with the knowledge of who is actually responsible, because if she found out who really did it he would seek revenge on them and she believes he'd get killed in the process.
- Transsexual: Played for drama. She was forced to take a male form forever, against her will, near the start of the universe, and this is at the root of much of her bitterness towards the gods and the rest of her clan.
- Walking Spoiler: Her actions, backstory, and motivations in The Finite are key to the story.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: Her backstory gives her a lot of reasons to act the way she does; she was forcibly assigned to the wrong gender when the Dragon clan was made a One-Gender Race, her beloved had his emotions stripped away and later rejected her, and she eventually dies, hated by him, after letting him believe she was responsible for destroying Ian's village. Only Ian knows the truth, and Utpala specifically asks her to never tell anyone. Worse, by the time of The Finite, she's not actually causing trouble anymore and hasn't for generations; but nobody will ever know.
Clan Attribute: Light
Nastika, Source Attribute: UnknownFirst king of the clan.
- Friend to All Children: He loved to play with children.
- Intrigued by Humanity: He (and the rest of his clan) is friendlier to humans than most sura clans. As a result, Yaksha Halfs are the most common type of Half.
- Posthumous Character: Died long before the story began.
- Power Nullifier: His bones nullify Half transcendentals, and are used by Half hunters.
Nastika, Source Attribute: UnknownSecond king of the clan. Garuda entrusted her with Yuta.
Nastika, Source Attribute: UnknownThird and current king of the clan. Lutz and Ran's grandmother.
- Amazonian Beauty: She's muscular and described as beautiful.
- Blind and the Beast: She jokes in The Finite that Nard only loves her since he's blind and doesn't use hoti surya to. However, she's an Amazonian Beauty.
- Green-Skinned Space Babe: Has blue skin.
- Interspecies Romance: With Nard Lehn, Ran and Lutz's grandfather.
Clan Attribute: Chaos
See her entry under God Realm for more information.
???, Source Attribute: UnknownYuta's mother and the 2nd king of the clan.
- Berserk Button: Separating her from Yuta is... not recommended. Including when he's done it himself. Justified: she was built to be this way.
- Combat Tentacles: Her true form is an enormous, monstrous-looking, vaguely-female black outline descending into countless tentacles.
- The Dreaded: To her own people and everyone else.
- Healing Factor: She can regenerate indefinitely even after death, although she loses her memories in the process. Combine this with her Anti-Magic, and she is an extremely dangerous opponent.
- Lie to the Beholder: She appears to Yuta as looking just like Kali, but to everyone else is a tentacled Eldritch Abomination.
- My Beloved Smother: She wanted to groom Yuta into the image of a king, and a king by the twisted standards of the Chaos Clan at that. She constantly insisted that he shouldn't have friends or stay in his human form. She also claimed that he should view everyone and everything as food, and those who taught him otherwise (like Shuri) would just weaken him. She even followed him into the human realm to take him back home.
- Power Limiter: Her eyes can temporarily seal the transcendentals and magic of anyone within her range of vision; and she is able to permanently (or at least, for as long as she lives) seal the transcendentals of even a Nastika.
- Weak, but Skilled: She is weaker than a Rakshasa, but her other abilities make up for it.
See his entry under "Leez's Party".
Jurisdiction: Creation, Source Attribute: CreationGoddess of Creation, known for being extremely neutral on the subject of fighting the sura.
- The Power of Creation: The source of it, specifically.
- The Old Gods: A Primeval God.
- Team Switzerland: Maintains neutrality at all times. She set up the barrier system so that humans would be protected against sura attacks, but made the barriers dependent on humans so that the sura would have a chance to attack.
Jurisdiction: Resurrection, Source Attributes: Resurection + UnknownThe God of Preservation, he is most known for his ability to see the future. He was also largely friendly to everyone and everything he met. It was thanks to his protection that humanity was able to fend off the sura. He separated the realms during the Cataclysm, and then disappeared along with Shiva.
- A Million Is a Statistic: When Asha asked him to save Carte. He claimed that he had witnessed the death of universes and asked why Carte deserved be saved.
- Blinding Bangs: His eyes are always covered by his hair. Considering his eyes are called an indescribable, ever-changing color in The Finite, this makes some sense.
- The Chessmaster: It certainly helps your cause when you can see all potential outcomes.
- Have You Seen My God?: He disappeared before the start of the story, leaving many things unfinished.
- Kick the Dog: To Asha on Carte. When she loses an arm after disobeying him, he tells her he could fix it, but she disobeyed him so he won't.
- Mad God: Chandra calls him one, thought he's a bit unhinged himself.
- Manipulative Bastard: He manipulated everyone for his own ends, but it's not clear what those ends are.
- The Omniscient: Is treated as this thanks to his ability to see all possible futures.
- Omniscient Morality License: He may or may not be in ownership of one.
- Oracular Urchin: His preferred appearance is that of a child and he has a potent ability to see the future.
- The Old Gods: Even more so than the other Primeval Gods, as he can remember past universes.
- Time Abyss: Primeval Gods exist regardless of the current universe. Visnu, however, is a special case: he alone can remember the past universes.
- Time Master: But if he does it too much, he loses his material form.
Jurisdiction: Destruction, Source Attribute: DestructionThe God of Destruction. He disappeared during the Cataclysm.
Jurisdiction: Entropy, Source Attributes: Chaos + UnknownThe Goddess of Chaos, considered mad by the rest, and for good reason. She's Yuta's original mother. She created Taraka to protect him in her absence.
- Consummate Liar: She regularly lied about her Insights.
- Green Eyes: A marvelous pair of blue-green eyes. Yuta's eyes sometimes turn the same color.
- Have You Seen My God?: She disappeared long before the Cataclysm, shortly after giving birth to Yuta.
- Mad God: According to Ganharva, she's so bad she's had to be sealed over a hundred times over the history of the universe.
- Missing Mom: To Yuta. At least she left him a simalucrum to act as his mother in her stead, who is...completely...crazy...okay, maybe not a good thing. Yuta even says she knew he would be miserable. Seems like she did it on purpose in order to shape her son.
- Mysterious Parent: Yuta's.
- The Old Gods: A Primeval God.
Jurisdiction: Nature, Source Attribute: EarthThe God of Earth, and the god whose name Leez bears; his domains also encompass gravity, wealth, and strength.
- The Atoner: His current motivation seems to be to atone for killing of Ananta, although he is clearly increasingly conflicted.
- Dark-Skinned Blonde: During the day, it's white, but it's golden at night.
- Death Seeker: An alternate interpretation of what he's up to can be summarised as "the universe's most convoluted, indirect suicide attempt" — Agni, for one, worries this is the case. Sagara, too, picks this vibe up... and, just doesn't care: as long as he doesn't peg it until she's finished with him, she's fine with it.
- Gravity Master: He is the god of Earth and wealth, after all.
- Master of the Mixed Message: Everybody who deals with him for any length of time winds up complaining about this. Agni, Gandharva, Sagara, Leez, every recorded Earth Priest who spent quality time with him or his objects...
- Manipulative Bastard: He is behind the sura searching for Leez...as well as the one who gave her his name in the first place. Not to mention also saving her hide, just to complicate everything in the process and shorten her life expectancy in the long run. Yay?
- My Greatest Failure: It's implied that he deeply regrets his killing of Ananta; he specifically warns Leez not to repeat his mistakes, and to stand by those who give her their trust.
- The Nameless: It's implied he literally gave his name to Leez. He told her father to name his child Kubera, and from then on refused to use it for himself. He tells Leez that she can only call him 'mister', and even then, only if she doesn't attach any particular significance to it as a name.
- Pet the Dog: To animals and Leez.
- Power Dyes Your Hair: His normally white-ish hair turns gold at night, along with his eyes.
- The Chooser of The One: In a play on this, he, unable to decide, puts the choice in the hands of someone else. However, he doesn't explain the full consequences of the choice.
- The Stoic: Agni notes that he's never seen him smile, and thinks he's lonely. Leez kinda-almost gets a smile out of him on a few occasions, but... there are the ever-present caveats attached.
Jurisdiction: Nature, Source Attribute: FireThe incomparably silly God of Fire, summoned by Brilith when she was a child. His easy-going nature is largely an act, meant to reduce the strain on her.
- Berserk Button: When Gandharva claims he killed a certain woman, he immediately goes white fire (10,000+ degrees), nearly killing Brilith in the process.
- Elemental Hair: He's the fire power and he's got orange hair.
- Fan Boy: His initial disguise when the temple guards find him is to pretend to be Brilith's fanboy. Turns out it wasn't completely an act; he's very disappointed when he accidentally incinerates her autograph a few minutes later.
- The Fog of Ages: He implies he doesn't even remember his childhood, he's so old.
- Hot Wings: He can manifest wings of fire to fly around during combat.
- The Lost Lenore: Long ago, there was a human woman he loved. However, he hesitated to start a relationship with her, and she died before he could resolve himself.
- Nice Guy: Gandharva notes that he's the only decent god.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Not all of it's faked, but every once in a while he drops the mask and you remember he is very, very old and unspeakably powerful.
- He makes it clear that more of it is faked than you might expect at first after Gandharva interferes with his confrontation with Sagara — although he seemed to have been completely taken in by Sagara's sob-story, his conversation with Gandharva, who he views as more of an equal, is much colder and makes it clear he wasn't actually buying any of it.
- Playing with Fire: He is the God of fire.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: In his human guise, he would wear a hooded sweatshirt. Once he reveals himself to the public, he ditches it entirely.
- Worthy Opponent: To Gandharva. It got into some really convoluted and complex frenemy territory maaaaaany centuries ago, and just keeps getting more... solid.
Jurisdiction: Unknown, Source Attribute: WaterThe God of Water. She is known for her extreme ruthlessness against the sura.
Jurisdiction: Unknown, Source Attribute: SkyThe God of Sky. He was appointed to be the king of the gods by the Primeval Gods.
Jurisdiction: Nature, Source Attribute: DarknessThe God of Darkness. He was summoned during the Cataclysm, but accidentally killed his summoner by using up their lifespan because the rules of summoning had changed.
- Casting a Shadow: As the God of Darkness.
- Creepy Good: Face it, few of the people he's defending would volunteer to spend a whole hour near him without other reasons, god or not. Chandra. Is. Creepy.
- Creepy Shadowed Under Eyes: Guy looks like somebody who doesn't know the meaning of the word "sleep".
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: Eerie to the point of downright creepy.
- Establishing Character Moment: Seen kissing Laila, shirt unbuttoned, approximately 5 minutes after she summoned him. When Claude interrupts them, he calls him a "lower life form" and threatens him. All of this happens within three panels.
- Jerkass Has a Point: When he calls out Ruche's bragging, he points out that Saha should have been protected.
- Chandra: So basically you want me to see you as a hero for saving people? (Beat) I appreciate your efforts, but you failed to protect the most important thing...
- Lack of Empathy: He thinks Laila should just "get over" the fact he accidentally killed her mentor during the Cataclysm. He also suggests that Agni should just let Brilith die and get a new summoner.
- Mad God: He's a bit unhinged.
- Puny Earthlings: He considers humans to be lower lifeforms.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Downplayed. He's a jerk, but he's not evil.
- Support Party Member: While he does have offensive transcententals of his own, it's more effective if he amplifies others'.
Jurisdiction: Death, Source Attribute: DeathThe God of Death. He holds final dominion over all mortal souls; not even the Primeval Gods can oppose him.
- By-the-Book Cop: Other gods are constantly harassing him to extend the lives of favored mortals, and he is constantly denying them. It's not that he's cruel, he just wants everyone to follow the rules.
- Death Takes a Holiday: After Agni beats him up to extend Brilith's lifespan, he goes on strike, forcing his assistants to work extra hard.
- God Of Death: For mortals, at least. He is in charge of making sure they die at their allotted time, and personally scratching their names off in Hell. Agni killed him to save Brilith; it's not clear what effect this has on the rest of the universe.
- Year Inside, Hour Outside: Time in his residence travels much slower than in the human realm.