This is character sheet for the characters that appear in Kubera.
open/close all folders
Kubera Leez/Leez HaiasThe heroine of the story, the "Human with the God's Name" that the sura are searching for. She's a bit empty-headed, but good-natured and friendly. Her overriding goal is to exact revenge on the sura who destroyed her village.
- Alternate Identity Amnesia: Cannot remember anything from the times when her "friend" takes over her body.
- Attack Reflector: The Golden Knight lets her reflect transcendental attacks back at their user, although it costs her vigor proportional to the power of the attack.
- Auto-Revive: One of the powers she gets from the Golden Knight, though it drains all her vigor when it goes off.
- Badass on Paper: She's incredibly strong, is in possession of two insanely powerful magical artifacts, and has even learned physical augmentation magic, but is still consistently overmatched by all the godlike beings in the story, and is also suppressing herself quite a lot emotionally.
- Big Eater: Food is never far from Leez's mind. In fact, it's often the first thing she thinks of in new places: eating the local specialties (in copious amounts).
- Big Sister Instinct: To Yuta, partially due to the fact that she doesn't know that he's actually much older and stronger than her.
- Book Dumb: Although she's not so much dumb as she is simply ignorant of the world around her, due to never being able to leave her village or go to school.
- Broken Bird: After the destruction of her village.
- Butter Face: Although she's drawn much the same as everyone else, it's made clear by everyone's reactions that she's actually kinda ugly. Every once in a while she's drawn "realistically," and turns into a gonk. On the other hand, it's made clear that when she's a few years older...
- The Chew Toy: A rather sad example. Everything she's known and loved has been destroyed, and her primary protector, Asha, doesn't show the least bit of respect for her. She knows at some level that Asha is not trustworthy, but she's so desperate to avoid being abandoned that she keeps playing the ditz act and suffers whatever criticism comes her way.
- Curtains Match the Window: Like most pure-blooded humans in this series.
- Cute Bruiser: She packs a very surprising wallop, even though she's not the smallest girl you'll meet. Just ask the two gods she surprised when she hit out at them in passing, as it actually hurt.
- Dangerous Sixteenth Birthday: Her village is destroyed the day she turns 16.
- Determinator: Tells Asha "If it's not possible, I'll make it possible."
- Disappeared Dad/Missing Mom: We still don't know the full story behind it. She, however, thinks they're dead, even if she hoped beyond hope that her father might have been alive somewhere for ages.
- Does Not Know Her Own Strength: Played with. She doesn't know the full extent of what she can do, as she's still learning and has been kept very much in the dark. But, she knows she can cause havoc if she's not careful, so panics if she accidentally lets loose without thinking. This is often played for humour... but, not always. Both God Kubera and Agni note that she could accidentally kill a human in one hit if she wasn't careful. Fortunately, she eventually gets a Power Limiter.
- Doomed Hometown: This is what kicks her whole journey off.
- Fantastic Racism: She doesn't have much of an opinion on sura, except extreme hatred for Garuda clan Rakshasa like the one that destroyed her village.
- Future Badass: If the various Insights of either "Mister", Agni or Taraka are anything to go by.
- Generic Cuteness: Explicitly invoked. The author includes an out-of-character note from their Author Avatar that the usual cute-ish image we see of Leez is just the author self-indulgently making her lead character look more beautiful than she really is, and that she's actually somewhat ugly. ('Butterface' is the specific term used.)
- Genius Ditz: Despite never being able to go to school, she shows on several occasions that she is actually quite intelligent.
- Genki Girl: She's very cheerful, energetic, will share her fleeting impressions on most things to anybody in earshot, is quick to hug and is quite loud and appreciative. She appears to be deliberately playing this up due to her fear of abandonment.
- Grand Theft Me: By someone who "wishes her happiness, more than anyone else in the world."
- Hidden Depths: Very much so. And, so hidden, she has no idea how deep they go. At the very least, it's obvious she's playing up the ditz act both to suppress her own inner suffering and out of an intense fear of abandonment, and she's aware of much more than she's letting on. Even to herself.
- Idiot Hero: She's more ignorant than idiotic, having flashes of brilliance when she's allowed enough information to work with and time to think.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: The reason she does not (outwardly) question Asha's actions.
- I Want My Mommy: As multiple gods' insights show.
- Leeroy Jenkins:
- Has a tendency to throw herself at enemies she knows are vastly superior to her in strength.
- Her current fighting style entails throwing herself at the enemy, getting one or two hits in, being tossed around like a ragdoll, regenerating, and then repeating this.
- Locked Out of the Loop: Asha and others actively keep her in the dark about a lot of what's going on.
- Loser Protagonist: At first.
- Made of Iron: She is far more durable than a pureblood teenage girl should be. She is also very resistant against cold temperatures, swimming in the frigid water channel (which the author notes would give most people cardiac arrest). It's revealed after she gains the Sword of Return that she has regenerative abilities beyond that of a normal human as well.
- Masquerade: Her whole life is basically this. She goes by the name "Leez Haias", but her actual name is Kubera Leez. She wasn't allowed to leave her village - even to go to school - because of this.
- Meaningful Name: So meaningful, it's the driving force behind the whole plot. Kubera Leez, the "girl with a god's name."
- Morality Pet: Possibly to Asha.
- Nom de Mom: She took on her mother's last name and uses her father's last name as her first name.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: She's far smarter than she appears, mainly being Book Dumb, but she is engaging in a lot of hardcore self repression. She seems like an airheaded ditz, but the further the story goes, the more clear it becomes that she's actually quite sharp, but also much more emotionally fragile than her outward behavior suggests.
- Plucky Girl: Frequently jumps into battles she can't win.
- Revenge: For her village.
- Secret Secret Keeper: She figures out that Yuta is a sura long before he reveals it to her. She simply kept quiet about it because she hoped he'll trust her enough to tell her himself someday.
- She Is All Grown Up: The narrative makes it clear that the version we usually see is actually pretty ugly, even if Generic Cuteness covers it up; but when she gets a temporary Plot-Relevant Age-Up, it's made clear that in a few years she will be genuinely beautiful.
- Statuesque Stunner: Her older self.
- Stepford Smiler: Inside, she's hurting badly. Her whole Genki Girl outlook isn't a lie. But she is playing it up to both keep herself going and not alienate others.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Leez as an adult is said to look exactly like a female version of her father.
- Tongue-Tied: She can't talk about god Kubera.
- Woman in Black: Her older self.
- Your Days Are Numbered: The Hoti Yama spell revealed that she will die quite young (around her 20s).
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Blue-green in her case.
Asha RahiroA jaw-droppingly powerful mage, quite likely the most powerful one on the planet (though she's ranked 5th since she wasn't allowed to take the last part of the test). She found Leez shortly after her village was destroyed, and took her under her wing once she heard her name. Her goal is also revenge; on whom and for what, exactly, is still unknown.
- The Ace: What everybody in Willarv sees her as. With cause. She even has fans.
- Broken Ace: What she sees herself as... with more cause. She was broken before she reached Acehood. In fact, it caused her to work hard to gain it.
- Almighty Janitor: Her magician ranking is already quite high, but she is much more powerful than her rank would imply.
- An Arm and a Leg: She's very strongly implied to be missing her right arm, but she wears big bulky clothing to hide it.
- Badass: Very, very much so. She's supposed to be a really powerful Squishy Wizard, but she's actually more like a Kung-Fu Wizard. She just hides the physical side of what she can do most of the time.
- Bifauxnen: To the point that most people get pulled up short when they realise she's actually wearing a skirt. Which she actually does to point out that she's a she.
- Child Prodigy: Subverted. While she was incredibly intelligent as a child, she had very low divine affinity and thus little magical power. According to Saha, one can train to increase their divine affinity, but the results are usually negligible. Asha, however, managed to increase hers from next to none to over ten thousand.
- Cynical Mentor: Deconstructed. She verbally abuses Leez and has no qualms against hurting her to further her goals. This makes more sense when it's revealed that her original intention in going to Leez's village was to kill her, and that she initially only protected Leez because she knew her father.
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: She can use Hoti Visnu to turn back time for objects or people, but every time she does so, it eats away at her existence.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Her entire planet was destroyed.
- Deadpan Snarker: Especially towards Ran.
- Deal with the Devil: She made some kind of deal with Visnu that allows her to use Hoti Visnu, which should be impossible after Visnu's disappearance.
- Even the Girls Want Her: Is the subject of a number of female crushes.
- Good Angel, Bad Angel: Rao was the good one, encouraging her to 'live for the living' and supporting her in hopes that she would redeem herself in the future. Claude is the bad one, encouraging her to 'discard' Leez and even attempting to kill Leez for her.
- Intelligence Equals Isolation: When she was at Eloth's university, she was ostracized because of her incredible intellect and power. Now she has a fanclub, but the members usually just admire her power and fame without really knowing her. She also has problems understanding the perspective of the average person, since she often takes her own knowledge for granted.
- Lady Looks Like a Dude: To the consternation of Brilith and Ran.
- Mysterious Backer: For Leez. So far, Asha has been firmly on Leez's side, but she can be very abusive and it's clear she still has her own agenda going that may or may not be in Leez's best interest.
- Mysterious Past: Her dealings with Rao, Visnu, and Kubera, and her experiences on Carte are still unclear.
- Power at a Price: We don't know exactly what price she has paid for everything, but it's implied she's sacrificed a lot.
- Rank Inflation: Despite getting the best scores in history on her magic exams, she wasn't allowed to take the last test (compatibility with a barrier stone) because she doesn't have a triple attribute, meaning it would be very dangerous. Normally, the highest rank for someone who can't take that exam is A+, with AA being the rank above it. Her examiner invented the A++ rank on the spot as a mark of her achievement. During the siege on Atera, she proves that she can use a barrier stone anyway (by changing the attribute of the barrier to match her attributes, something assumed to be impossible). The arc is named "AAA," implying that is the rank she deserves.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue to Brilith's red.
- Revenge: Her ultimate goal.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Connections!: Asha's connections are good enough to let her literally get away with murder. 32 times.
- Might not be working anymore. The reveal of Asha being capable of Hoti Visnu, and all the victems having the name "Kubera," has reopened the case, and Saha On is pushing for the death penalty.
- Take a Third Option: Pulls this frequently, like when she changes the attributes of the barrier in Atera.
- The Stoic: When you see any emotion on her face, you know it's something big.
- Not So Stoic: Whenever certain details about her past come up, she expresses surprising emotion. In the present day, she even appears distraught after attacking Leez while the latter was trapped in an escape pod that was about to launch.
- It's also played for laughs during a brief travel montage when Asha witnesses her ward eating with a pair of chopsticks in each hand and is completely shocked.
- Not So Stoic: Whenever certain details about her past come up, she expresses surprising emotion. In the present day, she even appears distraught after attacking Leez while the latter was trapped in an escape pod that was about to launch.
- Tongue-Tied: She is physically prevented from talking about certain things.
- World's Strongest Man: She's ranked fifth most powerful mage in the world, but that's just because she wasn't allowed to take the last test. All four of her "superiors" are well aware she is much, much better than them. One of them is even the president of her fanclub.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Very light blue.
Ran SairofeA Quarter who joined the party to help navigate the Water Channel, he stuck around longer than expected. He's surprisingly strong, even able to match Asha in many ways, but consistently fails the university exit exams because he is hopeless with magic calculations. Luckily for him, he doesn't need calculations for magic.
- Big Brother Instinct: Towards Leez. He calls out Asha on her poor treatment of her and, after learning that Leez's village was destroyed by a superior sura, offers to adopt her into his family.
- Book Dumb: His ability to use magic without requiring calculations has caused him to neglect some of his studies, though some of this just comes from comparison to Asha's Charles Atlas Superpower levels of magical knowledge.
- Butt Monkey: Serves as this upon joining the party. His being a relatively normal (at least within the context of sharing the same space as a mysterious genius magician, a girl with a god's Name, and a sura) means that he, along with Leez, winds up providing much of the humor in scenes where the four are involved, often at his own expense.
- Fanboy: For Rao Leez.
- Hidden Depths: Is currently ranked BB, but has the potential to be AA when he graduates.
- Upon arrival to Eloth, he is immediately promoted to AA.
- Lonely Rich Kid: Especially after Lutz left and his mother tried to kill him during the Cataclysm.
- Locked Out of the Loop: He consistently knows less of what's really going on than the rest of the main cast (except, possibly, Leez), though it's getting a bit better; initially he knew next to nothing about Asha (not even her gender), thought Yuta was human, and thought Leez was an ordinary girl. Even now, while both Leez and Yuta seem to have at least a general understanding that something bigger is going on, he's completely ignorant.
- Love at First Sight: He fell for Rana when she was ten.
- Mayfly-December Romance: What he is afraid will happen between him an Rana. She's pure human, but he's a Quarter, so he ages at half normal rate. His own mother gave him a rather heartless lesson on the subject, since she was already going through the same thing with his father.
- Nice Guy: While it was less pronounced at first due to his dislike of Asha, Ran has a strong sense of justice and is doesn't need a reason to help others.
- When Leez runs off to try to save Yuta, he goes after her at tremendous risk to himself. He had no obligation to do this and could have just left the channel altogether.
- Seems to be this in comparison to most of the other human characters. After the incident where Yuta looses control and eats Leez's face, Ran is the only one concerned about Leez.
- Only Sane Man: Comes to serve as this among the initial traveling group due to the issues its other members have.
- Older Than They Look: Because he's a Quarter, he looks 18 despite being 38.
- Patient Childhood Love Interest: To Rana.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Has a phobia of Halfs, thanks to his childhood's trauma when his mother was driven insane by her sura blood and tried to kill him.
Yuta/JatayuA Half-Garuda-Half-Chaos Rakshasa. He was stranded in the human realm during the Cataclysm and is looking for his siblings. He joins the party on their way to Mistyshore after developing a crush on Leez and learning that they too are going to Kalibloom to try to draw the Sword of Return.
- Beware the Nice Ones: He is a perfectly nice and gentle young boy...until he gets hungry and/or angry. He's fond of torturing and killing his prey slowly (usually by eating them alive and forcing the others to watch) and taunting his enemies about it.
- Berserk Button: Sagara, you should've known not to hurt Leez.
- Big Eater: He has to eat living Sura constantly to live, many of whom are bigger than he is. Because of this, he's able to swallow several times his own weight in food in a single instant.
- Blue and Orange Morality: Yuta thinks a little... differently, even by Sura standards, possibly due to his Chaos heritage.
- Even more pronounced in his Third Stage.
- Cute Mute: To humans.
- Friend or Idol Decision: Yuta realizes he will have to choose between his brother and Leez when he finds out that the latter wants to kill the former for destroying her village. He chooses Leez... at least for now, although he still hasn't told her the Sura she's hunting is his brother.
- He Is All Grown Up: Once he reached his 3rd stage.
- Heinz Hybrid: He appears to be an odd mix between Garuda, Chaos, and god.
- Horror Hunger: For pretty much anything that moves.
- Kaleidoscope Eyes: He has Garuda's gray eyes by default, but they turn red when he uses the Chaos clan ability to prevent transcendentals. Lastly, sometimes he has his mother's teal eyes, usually when he is experiencing strong emotions or when he is using his Insight ability. Fitting, since according to to legend, his mother's eyes could discern the true nature of beings.
- Loophole Abuse: He made a promise with Shuri that he would never eat humans. When he saw what the Half-hunters did, he decided that he would just chew them up and spit them out.
- Male Gaze: To Leez on multiple occasions.
- Missing Mom: His mother Kali left him under the care of his fake mother, Taraka.
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family/Scary Teeth: His teeth look like shark's, and right behind his normal set is another set. Up to Eleven with his 3rd sura form that the inside of his mouth seems like they're completely made out of teeth!
- Plot-Relevant Age-Up: As standard for sura. To his intense annoyance, he's been stuck in 2nd stage for a couple hundred years. He finally advances into 3rd stage to prevent Maruna from killing Leez.
- Power Limiter: Part of the reason he's so powerful is because his eyes nullify any magic or transcendentals in his range of vision; even in his second stage, he says he would have no trouble defeating a fourth-stage Raksaka if they were transcendental-focused.
- Really 700 Years Old: As a Sura, he doesn't age the way humans do, and has lived for hundreds of years, although his emotional age reflects his physical age.
- Sdrawkcab Name: His alias is "Yuta", which is taken from the name given to him by his Garuda family ( Jatayu). Considering that the person who gave him the alias (Leez) had no way of knowing his real name, he was pretty surprised.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: After he develops to third stage. Leez is eventually able to get him to wear shirts that she buys for him.
- Yandere: He shows more than a few hints of this after his Plot-Relevant Age-Up.
Anna HaiasLeez's mother; almost nothing is known about her, though there are some hints that she may be more important than she seemed at first.
Rao LeezLeez's father, a legendary warrior who (according to Leez in one of the Insights of her future) gave her the name that kickstarted the plot.
- The Ace: One of the most famous fighters of his generation.
- Badass Normal: He was a legendary warrior despite being a pure-blooded human.
- Challenge Seeker: According to Ran.
- Disappeared Dad: Not by his own choice; he was trapped away from his family when the cataclysm occurred, and never made it home.
- Posthumous Character: At least as far as anyone knows, although they Never Found the Body, and there is at least one report of him after his supposed death. Unfortunately that report is supposedly his actual death.
- OOC Is Serious Business: The only time he was ever reported to be seen crying was shortly before his disappearance. He wanted to be able to hold his child at least once.
A childhood friend of Leez and Haas' younger brother. He was taken care of by Anna.
- Born Lucky: He seems to have some kind of luck or foresight. He left the village before it was destroyed in order to buy Leez a birthday present, and told his brother they should wait at the magic guild during the attack on Atera before they open it up to refugees.
- Made of Iron: He's more durable than he looks, which he how he can take the brunt of Leez's full strength.
- Not Quite Dead: He and his brother survive the destruction of the village.
- The Prankster: At first Leez thinks that the destruction of the village was one of Kaz's pranks.
Haas LehnA childhood friend of Leez and Kaz's older brother.
- Blinding Bangs: His eyes are never shown. Either his bangs cover them or he's drawn as a blue blob.
- Faceless Masses: He's usually drawn as a vague silhouette like most of the background characters, despite being a named character.
- Not Quite Dead: He survives the destruction of the village along with Kaz.
Brilith RuinThe current Priestess of Fire, who summoned the fire god Agni when she was a child.
- Always Second Best: To her mother.
- Barrier Maiden: Subverted. Other people thought she was the one who responsible for the barrier, but it was Agni who actually did the job for her while she maintained his existence in the human realm.
- Played straight later on, when she actually has to maintain the barrier herself. Other characters notice that it's not nearly as strong as it was before.
- Blood from the Mouth: During both attacks on Atera.
- Cleavage Window: Her new outfit after the second attack on Atera has one.
- Curtains Match the Window: Has red eyes and hair.
- Ill Girl: As a result of her sacrificing most of her lifespan to summon Agni and protect her city.
- My God, What Have I Done?: When she thinks that Agni left because of her rudeness.
- Rapunzel Hair: Before her Traumatic Haircut.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Asha's blue.
- Spoiled Sweet: In spite of her sheltered upbringing.
- Stepford Smiler: In front of the people of Atera.
- Traumatic Haircut: Most of her hair gets burned off during the second attack on Atera.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Gender-flipped, towards her mother Jibril Ajes.
- The Woman Wearing the Queenly Mask: She plays the part of the graceful and gentle priestess, when in reality she's constantly tired and in pain due to keeping Agni summoned.
- Your Days Are Numbered: Due to summoning Agni.
Jibril AjesThe previous Priestess of Fire and Brilith's mother.
Babo KimKing of all bums. Brilith's stalker.See Agni's entry for more information.
Airi YuiThe #1 ranked fighter and #6 ranked magician who is a guest lecturer at the Atera Magic Academy. She is Claude's younger sister.
- Action Girl: Her Asvins-Asvins-Kubera attributes mean that she's primarily focused on self-buffing; she fights by boosting her own strength and regeneration with hoti asvins hoti kubera, flies into close range with bhavati kubera, then gets into brawls with enemies while sealing their own abilities using bhavati asvins.
- Always Someone Better: Is this to Teo Rakan due to beating her out for the title of best fighter in two consecutive tournaments.
- Badass: She's capable of going one-on-one with a 3rd stage Rakshasa and surviving, something completely unheard of for a human.
- Curtains Match the Window: As with most pureblood humans.
- Fangirl: To Asha Rahiro; partially this seems to be because Airi feels that any magician (like herself) who lacks a triple attribute gets a lower rank regardless of their strength.
- The Trickster: Lures Clophe away from the city during the attack on Atera.
Lorraine RartiaA triple-attribute creation magician who is the #4 ranked AA. She has a creation shop and is friends with Brilith and Airi. She is Saha's fiancee and Siera's cousin.
- Brilliant but Lazy: She's the #4 ranked magician, but ran out on Lutz, forcing him to become the Priest of Creation, and regularly shirks her duties.
- Curtains Match the Window: Averted despite being a pureblood. She and her cousin both have brown hair and golden eyes.
- Opaque Nerd Glasses: Wears a pair. Her eyes are rarely visible.
- Runaway Fiancée: She really doesn't want to get married to Saha, which is why she bailed on being the Priest of Creation and ran away to Atera.
The president of the Atera Magic Guild and a shameless fangirl for Asha. Riche's younger twin.
Rana ReimiaChildhood friend of Ran and a teacher at the Mistyshore university.
Teo RakanThe current Priestess of Chaos, and in fact the only Chaos candidate in the city, as well as the head of the Kalibloom fighter's guild.
- Action Girl: She's more of a fighter than a magician.
- Action Mom: Considering she's a badass with a sword and she's Elwin's mom, she definitely qualifies. She can even take on human-form rakshasa and hold her ground solely on her skill as a fighter.
- Always Second Best: Has been the runner-up to Airi Yui in two consecutive fighter's tournaments. She clearly chafes at this.
- Badass: She gained an A+ magician's license (the second-highest one possible, excluding Asha's unique A++ rank) despite being totally unable to use magic — using nothing but brute strength and skill with a sword.
- Happily Adopted: She is the mother of Elwin Rakan.
- Has a Type: Comments at one point that Gandharva's human guise is her type.
- Hidden Depths: Is somehow capable of using silent Chaos magic. This is notable given that one, Kali disappeared a long time ago, leaving the Chaos attribute nil, and two, those who can use silent magic tend to be rather ruthless.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Courtesy of being resurrected by Asha's Hoti Visnu, she had her time rewound back to before the beginning of Season II, judging by her being unaware of ever meeting Gandharva.
- Loophole Abuse: She gained an A+ magician's license, despite being unable to use magic, because there ain't no rule that says you have to use magic on the tests — she overcame the tests that are meant to be solved with magic using brute strength.
- Magic Knight: Of the use spells (i.e. Hoti Kubera) to augment physical abilities while fighting with weapons variety.
- Only Mostly Dead: Due to her body being preserved when Gandharva froze it in ice made from his body, it was possible for Asha to resurrect her using Hoti Visnu.
Elwin RakanTeo's adoptive daughter, and one of the few Halfs capable of hearing sura speech.
- Blinding Bangs: We don't see her eyes at all in her first few appearances, so she looks like a cute little girl with bunny ears and too-long bangs. Her eyes are actually a really freaky red color (sclera and all) due to her Yaksha Half nature.
- Happily Adopted: Elwin's adopted mom Teo genuinely cares for her and is heartsick with worry when she hears that Elwin has been kidnapped.
- Older Than They Look: She's not as old as her adoptive mother, but she still looks far younger than her twenty-seven years.
President of the creation brand Brimo and the richest person on the planet. Ruche's older twin sister.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Her mind is always on money, even in the most dire of situations.
- Older Than They Look: As a Quarter.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Money!: Her large collection of god-level items were acquired through rather dubious means.
- Smug Snake: So, so much.
- Theme Twin Naming: With Ruche.
Siera SiesThe Priest of Earth. Lorraine's cousin.
- Barrier Maiden: A male example. He is responsible for maintaining the Barrier of Earth.
- Curtains Match the Window: Averted, despite being a pureblood.
- Early-Bird Cameo: He can be seen in chapter 6 in Brilith's exposition about magicians, but doesn't make a proper appearance until season 2.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: He looks much younger than his thirty-one years.
- Meaningful Name: "Sierra" means "mountain" in Spanish.
- Squishy Wizard: He has a very high magic ranking in addition to being a priest, but is surprisingly impractical at fighting.
Parr HaelA Half and fighter of Kalibloom. She competes in the Test of the Sword.
- Absolute Cleavage: Her dress is rather revealing.
- Cat Girl: Her catlike ears and tail give her this appearance.
- Older Than They Look: Is 88 but appears 22.
- Survivor Guilt: She blames herself for Teo's death due to leaving Teo's side to find help.
- Happens again when she stays behind while a group of fighters confront Gandharva. She didn't go with them because she didn't have a god-level item with her - not that the items were of any use, since the group gets obliterated by Maruna.
Zard BlaineA lecturer at Kalibloom's university and Clary's sponsor. He competes in the Test of the Sword.
Clary UtasA Gandharva Half from Kalibloom. She competes in the Test of the Sword.
- Fish People: Has a rather fishy look due to being a Gandharva Half.
- Half-Human Hybrid: She is a Half of the aquatic Gandharva clan.
- Not Herself: She attacks her allies under the effect of emotional resonance during the attack on Kalibloom. Apparently this isn't the first time this has happened; she mentions the Cataclysm during her apology to Zard.
- Older Than They Look: She's 115 but looks 28.
- Unusual Ears: Has ear fins.
Claude YuiThe current Priest of Death and Airi's older brother.
- Ambiguously Evil: Although he justifies his actions by claiming that he serves The Needs of the Many, some of what he's done (like 'coincidentally' ensuring the defenses on God Kubera's artifacts were down right before Sura attacked to steal them) makes it unclear what side he's really on. The fact that he's introduced by nearly killing Leez in an attempt to win an argument with Asha doesn't help.
- The Needs of the Many: He is willing to ignore Asha's murders because he believes humanity needs her on their side, and is even willing to go so far as to suggest offering Leez as a 'sacrifice' to Yuta, allowing him to savage her repeatedly because the Golden Knight will simply heal her and because, again, humanity needs Yuta on its side. However, it's unclear whether he's being entirely honest about his actual goals...
- Obfuscating Stupidity: He acts like a goofy layabout, but he actually has a much better idea of what's really going on than almost anyone else, and most of his actions have a deeper purpose behind them. For example, his 'lazing about' in Kalibloom was (according to him) actually because he was frantically trying to get Yuta to stay on humanity's side.
Laila HemawatiThe current Priest of Darkness. A hardworking woman who hides her face behind a mask.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Is the Priest of Darkness, but far from evil.
- Mysterious Backer: She created the A++ rank for Asha and gave her permission to use the Human Search System, despite not seeming to like her much.
- White-Haired Pretty Girl: She's implied to be extremely beautiful under her mask; the brief glimpses of parts of her face support this.
Lutz SairofeRan's older brother, Eloth's Creation Priest, and president of the Creation brand Artram.
- Almighty Janitor: He deliberately slacked off on his magic exams, so his rank is much lower than his actual ability. According to Tilda, he could have been an AA.
- Badass in a Nice Suit: Is almost always seeing a black suit.
- Dismotivation: He slacked off on his magic exams because he didn't want to become the Priest of Creation.
- KungFu Wizard: In addition being the priest of Creation, it is outright mentioned that he once reached the later stages of a previous fighter's tournament.
- The Needs of the Many: He's willing to overlook Asha's serial murder and defend her in a trial. His argument is that the lives that she's saved and can save in the future far outnumber the people she's killed.
Saha OnThe top-ranked magician on Willarv, as well as the Priest of Light and president of the Eloth Magic Guild. Lorraine's fiance. He demanded Asha's death constantly throughout her trial for 29 cases of homicide by magical accident, and argued fiercely (but unsuccessfully) for the passage of a Stolen Goods Law, which would have forced people to return stolen magical artifacts.
- Bishōnen: He once won a beauty contest with no makeup while in his street clothes, and as a Quarter, he ages slowly, giving him a young pretty-boy appearance.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: He looks so feminine that his fiancee pushed him to enter a beauty contest, which he won with no makeup while in his street clothes.
- Establishing Character Moment: The first time he officially appears, he receives a report of Sura attacking a town several hundred miles away... which he detects and blasts into oblivion without leaving his seat at the Mage's guild.
- His second chapter has him breaking into tears at the realization that one of the other magicians is complicit in Asha's murders, establishing both his sense of justice and his sensitive nature. And before both of these, our first Foreshadowing about him shows his silhouette arguing fiercely for the Stolen Goods Law (which would mostly be used against magicians like him) while the other magicians are clearly bored and disinterested.
- Foil: To Asha. He has a very strong sense of morality and justice in contrast to her willingness to do anything to achieve her goals, and he is described as the "most beautiful male" in contrast to Asha being the "most handsome female." Their names are even anagrams of each other. He also received an oracle about the god Kubera's impending demise, but both the gods who gave them the oracle and the contents of said oracle were likely very different.
- Good Is Not Soft: Despite his soft and caring nature, he is utterly devoted to law and justice, and refuses to back down when he feels that someone is genuinely guilty.
- In Touch with His Feminine Side: Beyond his feminine Bishōnen appearance, he has a soft, sensitive personality... most of the time.
- Knight Templar: He is something of a deconstruction of the trope; he's intensely devoted to justice and the rule of law (determined to bring Asha to justice even though humanity may need her strength; and supporting a Stolen Goods Law even though it would mostly be used against magicians like him), but at the same time, his soft-spoken personality is the polar opposite of what you'd expect in a crusader for justice, and the narrative goes out of its way to show that he may have a point, emphasizing the horrible nature of the crimes that other magicians like Claude are willing to shrug off for the greater good.
- Light 'em Up: As the Priest of Light, he naturally has a triple Light attribute and attacks by blasting things with massive columns of light.
- World's Strongest Man: Officially, he is the most powerful magician on Willarv, although Asha may actually be more powerful.
Tilda MelliotSaha On's assistant and bodyguard. Also the General Manager of the Eloth Magic Guild.
Natasha RossA professor at Eloth's university.
Mirha SimonThe Priest of Wind in Aeroplateau, and an old acquaintance of Asha.
- An Arm and a Leg: She has prosthetic legs.
- Early-Bird Cameo: She makes a brief appearance in chapter 6 during Brilith's exposition about magic, but doesn't actually show up in the storyline until over 200 chapters later.
- Child Prodigy: She was one before the destruction of Carte; her ability has dropped considerably since then, but her wind magic is still unparalleled.
- Girls Love Stuffed Animals: Her room is full of them.
- King Incognito: She wears sunglasses, a hat, and a heavy jacket when she goes out so people don't recognize her.
- Older Than They Look: She's a Quarter.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: The fake name she gives Leez is "Mir."
- Yellow Eyes of Sneakiness: She quickly befriends Leez, but it's clear she has an agenda doing so.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: In contrast to her yellow eyes. The difference is what makes Leez realize she's a Quarter.
Urha SimonThe Priest of Sky in Aeroplateau, and Mirha's father.
Kasak RajofThe only dragon Half on the planet, and strong enough to fight multiple higher-level sura on his own. Famous across the world.
- Badass: As a 132 years-old dragon Half, he has the power of a 5th stage Rakshasa.
- Human Mom Nonhuman Dad: His parents were a Quarter and a Nastika.
- Overprotective Dad: He doesn't like it when someone else calls her 'Princess'.
- Papa Wolf/Parental Neglect: He jumps between the two as the result of his dragon side. When he wears the earrings, he is a caring, cheerful dad. But when he takes them off, he becomes cold-blooded and extremely neglectful of his daughter. That said, there are signs that he does care for her even in that state.
- The Stoic: As a dragon half, he's almost completely emotionless when he's not wearing his earrings.
Agwen RajofThe daughter of Kasak, and a professor at the magic university in Eloth.
Sura and Sura Clans in general
The enemies of the gods and by extension humankind. They are ageless monsters that develop in stages and possess many powerful and dangerous abilities.
- Alien Blood: Some sura have normal red blood, but others bleed purple or black (like the Taraka clan).
- Animalistic Abomination: The lesser sura may actually fit this trope better by virtue of looking rather similar to various members of the animal kingdoms (and dragons). The exception to the rule appears to be the Taraka clan, which definitely is on the more eldritch side of things aesthetics-wise.
- Anti-Magic/Power Nullifier: The Taraka can seal off all mortal magic and the vast majority of sura magic with their open eyes.
- Authority Equals Asskicking/Asskicking Equals Authority: How the sura run their clans. If a King dies, the strongest sura (a Nastika) will succeed him/her. Subverted with, Sagara since she's not the strongest Nastika, but she has backup from one, so no one else dare to go against her.
- The Dreaded: The Taraka clan. Their ability to cancel magic and their habit of eating all other sura made the other clans terrified of them.
- Not exactly terrified. They're physically weak though getting stronger now that their King has developed so in one flashback, the other sura mainly seem annoyed at having to deal with a lot of pests. However, their zerg rush tendencies and the fact that Nastika transformations into sura form are considered transcendentals (therefore, sealed by the Chaos eyes and handicapping the strongest fighters of any clan) makes them dangerous when they get serious.
- Eldritch Abomination: The Kings in particular. They are immortal and powerful beings who have existed since the start of this universe that can kill even Gods. Gandharva, even at his smallest size, is as big as a mountain.
- Gender Bender:
- The Nastikas can change their gender at will (the male form usually stronger than female). And a Rakshasa's gender is determined by the time each parent (if they are both Nastika) has spent as each gender, which means there are more males than females.
- The Vritra's clan Nastika used to have both males and females, but after the deal with Visnu, they all changed to male and lost their gender bender ability.
- Little Bit Beastly: Even in human form, every sura has a few non-human traits. Some have fur on their arms and legs, others have fangs or Unusual Ears like bird wings, fish fins, animals ears, and so on.
- Oedipus Complex/Daddy's Girl: The relationship of a sura with his/her father. A male sura will usually compete with his father for his mother's affection, and the father can even kill the son for that. In contrast, a female Sura is usually loved and spoiled by her father, even more if she resembles her mother.
- Time Abyss: The Nastika were born at the beginning of the universe.
AnantaFirst King of the Ananta clan. Was said to be the strongest being in the universe.
- Posthumous Character: He was killed by God Kubera, which seems to have indirectly kickstarted the plot.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Basically everyone agrees that he was the best Nastika, not just in terms of strength but leadership and character. When Taksaka was rampaging through his clan, Ananta (who was strong enough to defeat even Taksaka) instead figured out a way to calm him down without killing him, since the Dragon clan couldn't reproduce and he didn't want to reduce their numbers any further.
- Too Dumb to Live: He trusted the one who was after his life. Sagara of all people admit this on one of his thoughts on the matter.
- World's Strongest Man: Even long after his death, the current strongest man in the world, Vritra, is still only known as the "strongest being in a world without Ananta."
ManasvinSecond King and Sagara's former lover.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Encouraged Sagara to leave him and be with Vasuki.
- Posthumous Character: Although we don't know how he died.
- What Does He See in Her?: Most people can't understand why he loved Sagara so much.
Third and current King of the clan. She is currently working with god Kubera for some unknown purpose.
- Alpha Bitch: She is power-hungry, vain, ruthless and cruel. This is actually why Manasvin loved her; unlike other people, she was actually honest with herself, rather than hiding under claims of good intentions.
- Foil: To Brilith, who was likewise thrust into a leadership role far beyond her abilities, but who, unlike her, has managed to become a beloved leader thanks to Agni. Needless to say, this infuriates Sagara.
- God Save Us from the Queen!: She's generally spiteful, jealous, and willing to cause large amounts of suffering to those around her to attain her goals... though as she points out, she's Not So Different from Gandharva.
- Hero Killer: A surprisingly unlucky example given that she successfully killed Brilith and Teo only for them to be brought back to life in each separate case.
- Jerkass Has a Point: When she says that she's Not So Different from Gandharva, she has a point; both of them are terrible leaders who are sacrificing the interests of their entire clan for incredibly selfish reasons.
- Also, she condemns Agni for killing the God of Death purely to bring a mortal he loved back to life. While the story is romantic and all, when you think about it, she has a point; it was a pretty selfish thing to do.
- Really Gets Around: Apparently, she had a lot of lovers and enough children that she can't remember all of them. Considering that their age is in the billions, however, this is likely the case for many Nastika.
- Smug Snake: She's really not as clever as she thinks she is, and most of the rest of the Ananta Nastika consider her a disaster of a King. Despite this flaw, she appears capable of learning from her mistakes and even respecting her opponents to a point, as is evident in her approach with the attack on Kalibloom in contrast to the one on Atera.
- Vain Sorceress: She loves her appearance so much that she actually spares a human because he calls her beautiful, and prefers to stay in her female form even though it is weaker than her male form.
- Although it's likely that she did so in order to stay close to the center of power in her clan, as the sura go by Asskicking Equals Authority and the three strongest Nastika were all male. Which did work, since through Manasvin she was the wife of a King, and in the present day Vatsuki backs her as king. Not to mention that her flashbacks seem to indicate she might have truly loved their first king, Ananta, rather than simply desiring a position of power. But it doesn't seem like he ever noticed her.
VasukiA former lover of Sagara's, and the expected next in line when Ananta died.
- Gender Bender: Changed into female form to avoid being the king as fem!Vasuki is weaker than male!Manasvin.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: He chose to be female so Sagara could continue to be with Manasvin while having the power she wanted. Once Manasvin died, he backed her up so she could become king of the clan.
- Morality Pet: Deliberately took on this role for Taksaka in the backstory — although he was more like The Lancer than a traditional morality pet, he was the only one who could keep Taksaka's anger in check.
RiagaraSagara's greatest supporter, not to mention one of the most powerful Ananta Rakshasa.
- Undying Loyalty: Sagara does no wrong in her eyes.
PingaraOne of Sagara's followers. A 4th stage Rakshasa.
- Ambiguous Gender: Their gender has not been revealed. Even in their official profile their gender is listed as "unknown."
- Invisibility: One of their transcendentals makes them invisible and immaterial.
- Shadow Walker: Can use this to observe without being noticed.
- Stealth Expert: They have several transcendentals useful to spying and escaping. In the second season they went to observe Teo and her pack of fighter from up close, so that Sagara could devise an appropriate strategy.
ClocheOne of Sagara's followers. A 4th stage Rakshasa, her older sibling is Clophe.
ClopheOne of Sagara's followers. A 3rd stage Rakshasa, his younger sibling is Cloche.
- Little Big Brother: People often assume that he is the younger sibling because he's in his third stage and thus looks younger than Cloche, who is in her fourth stage.
- Cute Mute: As with all Rakshasa, he cannot speak out loud; he takes this Up to Eleven by refusing to speak even in sura speech unless he is alone with Cloche.
- Guys Smash, Girls Shoot: Is much better at hand-to-hand combat than his transcendental-focused sister.
HuraAn Asura on loan to the Ananta Clan to cement their alliance. His (or her; he has no actual gender) traitorous nature and self-resurrection ability mean the others let him get killed far more than he would like.
- An Adventurer Is You: He's the Tank, of course; unusual for a tank, his human form is slender and unassuming, and his Sura form is far smaller than most, but he makes up for it with regeneration that makes him almost impossible to kill and transcendentals to redirect magical attacks to himself.
- Ambiguous Gender: His appearance is entirely androgynous, which makes sense when you find out that he actually has No Biological Sex.
- Auto-Revive: He comes back to life automatically when killed — up to twelve times a day.
- The Friend Nobody Likes: Nobody in the Sura alliance likes him, since he spends all his time needling them and is one of their natural enemies besides.
- Good Thing You Can Heal: Invoked; his two main powers are the ability to regenerate from almost anything (including, up to twelve time a day, death) and the ability to redirect attacks to himself. Needless to say, he gets blown up a lot while tanking for everyone else, and is frequently shown dying instantly (sometimes multiple times) to underline how powerful a particular attack is.
- Healing Factor: In addition to his ridiculous regeneration, Hura's unique transcendental allows him to come back from the dead up to twelve times in rapid succession, making him almost impossible to kill.
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: He has four arms, although he normally keeps two of them concealed under his cloak.
- No Biological Sex: Although others use male pronouns for him, he (like half of the members of the Asura clan) is physically sexless; it's unclear whether he identifies as male or whether members of other clans refer to him as that purely for convenience.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Although he seems like a goofball and a layabout, his effectiveness at needling the others make it clear that he's smarter than he lets on.
- Troll: Hura delights in needling the people around him; this actually suits his abilities well, in that he's mostly ineffectual offensively but is incredibly good at trolling opponents into wasting their time attacking his nearly-invulnerable regenerating body.
GandharvaFirst and current king of the clan. He is one of the major players in the current plot.
- Anti-Villain: He just wants to find his daughter. Sagara mocks this attitude given the hypocrisy evident in it. See Noble Demon.
- Despair Event Horizon: After Sagara kills Teo, making him realize how he caused the death of countless innocents for a void hope.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: Averted. Maruna initially saw him as one, because he made him endure harsh training to develop, but later, when faced with the brutality of Samphati's training, he actually realized that Gandharva was going quite easy on him.
- The Dreaded: Was this before meeting Menaka, when he was still at full power. They say that even the strongest among the Nastika were afraid of him. Also lampshaded by Cloche when Sagara was about to press his Berserk Button.
- Heel-Face Turn: Several signs through the whole story imply that it is going to happen eventually. It seems this finally happened after the Frozen Tears arc.
- Heel Realization: While there had been moments where he clearly felt uncomfortable, Teo's death and Maruna's slaughter of the humans who confront him after his conversation with Agni during the arc really seemed to have helped him realize just how horrible his actions have been until that point.
- My God, What Have I Done?: His reaction to the latter event and how what Maruna did pretty much applies to all the bad things he's done just to find Shakuntala, and implicitly even before then. It also leads to
- Heel Face Door Slam: A self-inflicted one given that he thinks himself unworthy of being Agni's ally given all the terrible things he's done. It's more psychological than anything given that his following actions are pretty standard for a Heel-Face Turn and his thoughts on the matter suggest that he might have become The Atoner.
- Love Makes You Evil and Crazy: Just see what he can do for Menaka, Shakuntala or Teo.
- Love Redeems: Before meeting his wife, he was cruel and even feared by other Nastika due his behaviour.
- Getting to know Teo calmed him down enough to consider if he was doing the right thing. It's unknown if his feelings were romantic or platonic.
- Making a Splash: The king of a clan whose element is water.
- An Ice Person: He prefers to use ice in battle.
- Moral Myopia: He just wants to find his daughter. Never mind the body count.
- The Mourning After: Has yet to remarry after Menaka's death.
- In fact, rather than find a new mate, he decided to focus on caring for and protecting their daughter instead.
- Noble Demon: He will pay his debt and keep his promises (as far as the situation allows). Sagara repeatedly mocks him for this attitude , and events in the Frozen Tears arc deconstruct this trope in regards to Gandharva.
- Overprotective Dad: He didn't even try to hide his hostility when Shakuntala expressed her fondness for Maruna. However, the trope is played more seriously otherwise. Given that his wife was killed and Shakuntala had previously been kidnapped, his attitude was rather justified, even if said daughter was all too well aware of how much she burdened him as a result.
- Pet the Dog: He is willing to spare certain humans in targeted areas if they amuse him and aid Halfs being transported by Half hunters (although this was also in part out of pragmatism).
- As with many other things, this is also deconstructed:
- He spared Leez due to finding her amusing, and in doing so unknowingly allowed his quarry to escape, although Maruna is more thorough in his approach.
- When he attempts to do the same with Teo, said individual points out point-blank that she has no desire to be spared if the rest of the people in Kalibloom are slaughtered, finding such behavior cowardly. This, and Sagara's own comments about the situation force Gandharva to confront the fact that in the end, engaging in this trope does not make him the slightest bit innocent of his role in the massacre of countless humans.
- As with many other things, this is also deconstructed:
- Think Nothing of It: His response after Elwin unknowingly thanks him for keeping her company before she returned to Kalibloom.
- Worthy Opponent: To Agni.
MenakaShakuntala's mother and Gandharva's late wife. She was killed long before the story began.
- Actual Pacifist: Convinced Gandharva to not get involved with matters that didn't concern their clan.
- Pacifism Backfire: Unfortunately, her influence was one of the first steps in what would lead to her clan's downfall.
- The whole thing gets verbally deconstructed by Manasvin during a flashback to the incident, namely the Gandharva clan's refusal to aid in the rescue of Ananta, leading to the latter's death, with him commenting on how such behavior is nothing more than undeserved self-righteousness during times when action might actually be needed for the sake of others in need of help.
- The Lost Lenore: Gandharva has yet to remarry since her passing, and at some points thinks back on her.
- Morality Pet: To Gandharva; apparently he was extremely vicious before meeting her.
- Posthumous Character: Apparently, she was killed by the gods.
ShakuntalaGandharva's daughter, known for looking and acting much like her mother. Most sura assume she is dead; Gandharva has practically sold himself into slavery on the slim chance that she's not.
- Ill Girl: She spent an abnormally short amount of time in each growth stage, which made her very weak. The poisonous air in the sura realm (and lack of an ocean) certainly didn't help.
- Innocent Flower Girl: Often seen in flashbacks in flower fields, or making flower wreaths.
- Morality Pet: Takes on this role for Gandharva after Menaka's death.
- Morality Chain: Maruna sees her more as this when ruminating on the seeming hopelessness of Gandharva's quest to find her.
MakaraSecond in command of the clan and Gandharva's right hand man.
UrvasiA Nastika from the Gandharva clan. He was a longtime friend of Menaka and helped look after Shakuntala.
- World's Most Beautiful Woman: In female form, Urvasi is one of the great beauties of the sura.
GarudaFirst king of the clan. Father of Maruna, Yuta, and Kalavinka. Went into a coma after the Cataclysm.
MarunaThe first son of the Garuda king. His father sent him to the Gandharva clan to be raised by by their king, as they were friends.
- Aloof Big Brother: To Yuta.
- Fantastic Racism: He looks down on humans, but will treat Halfs better than them.
- Noble Demon: As long as he's dealing with Halves or other Sura, at least. He went out of his way to keep Kasak's daughter safe while fighting him (even when Kasak didn't seem to care), and tried to treat Elwin well despite holding her as a hostage.
- The Stoic: He's very reserved, though as Gandharva notes, he does have a playful side.
- Winged Humanoid: Keeps his wings even in his human form.
KalavinkaThe youngest child of Garuda, and Maruna and Yuta's younger sister. When the three siblings split up, she went with Visnu to Willarv.
- Long-Lost Relative: Neither Maruna nor Yuta have seen her since they split up. According to Taraka, she's somewhere in the human realm.
SamphatiAn emotionless 5th stage Rakshasa, who seeks revenge for her sister's death. Currently aiding the Ananta Clan to achieve her goal.
- Emotionless Girl: Her abrupt development to 5th stage left her mostly emotionless.
- Flower in Her Hair: Pink flowers with feathers. The feathers belonged to her sister.
- Revenge: Seeks to avenge her dead sister.
- Training from Hell: Inflicts one on poor Maruna. He later thinks that, in comparison, training under Gandharva was like heaven.
- Uncanny Valley Girl: Seems to have some kind of mental instability because of her sudden development.
AkashaA Garuda Nastika who's currently the second strongest of her Clan.
ShessThe son of the current Queen of the Kinnara Clan. He was born shortly after the universe was created, making him the oldest Rakshasa alive. Due to circumstances, he hasn't been able to reach 5th stage.
LenyA Kinnara half adopted by Shess.
Tropes applying to the entire Vritra Clan
- Our Dragons Are Different: They are Sura and share most Sura abilities and attributes, including shapeshifting; in dragon form, they appear somewhere midway between Eastern and Western dragons.
- One-Gender Race: The power of the dragon's breath was balanced out by the unexplained but highly consistent deaths of any two dragons that fell in love. Due to that, the dragon clan was dying out very, very quickly at the beginning of the universe. Since the Primeval Gods didn't want the clan to go extinct, they agreed to fiddle with the laws of reality a bit. In exchange for dragon Halves having the full power of rakshasa, the clan all lost their female forms and became almost entirely emotionless.
- Power at a Price/Equivalent Exchange: At the beginning of the universe, the Vritra made a deal with Visnu. Because the dragons had such powerful breath weapons, they couldn't have children and would die if they tried. Visnu fixed this for them, but at a price: All the dragons had to become male permanently, and any Half that lives past a hundred years would have the power of a 5th stage Rakshasa. The catch here is that along with losing their gender-bender ability, the dragons also lost their emotions and thus no longer had much interest in expanding their dominance, preferring to sleep in their nests. Even worse is that the mothers of Halfs would have to loose eighty years of their life to give birth, deceasing the dragons' desire to have children even more.
- The Stoic: In addition to being made a single-gender race, dragons were stripped of most of their emotions so they wouldn't reproduce. Some of them kept one emotion very strongly, though, like Taksaka's anger or Vritra's obsession with fighting Taksaka.
VritraFirst and current king of the clan. Also the strongest being in the universe after Ananta's death.
- Always Someone Better: Ananta is this to him. Even now that Ananta is dead, Vritra's title is only "strongest in the world without Ananta."
- Willfully Weak: Even though he is the strongest person in the world, he was even stronger in his female form - enough to give Ananta a run for his money. He gave it up (agreeing for all dragons to be made male when it was necessary for them to become a One-Gender Race) because most other dragons are stronger in their male forms, so it was better that way for the clan as a whole.
- World's Strongest Man: Now that Ananta is dead.
TaksakaThe Destruction Dragon, second-in-command of the clan. Kasak's father and Agwen's grandfather. His only emotion is anger. He is one of the two protagonists of The Finite, a side-novel.
- Morality Pet: Deliberately invoked by Vasuki, who chose to live with him to try and control Taksaka's Unstoppable Rage.
- Signature Move: His invisible fire, which Kasak inherited.
- Unstoppable Rage: Constantly and with almost no need for provocation. His only emotion is anger.
- World's Strongest Man: Funnily enough, The Finite side story actually says Taksaka is now the strongest being in the universe because Vritra has been somehow weakened. Taksaka has enough power that he can threaten Visnu, one of the Primeval Gods, and make the god of resurrection afraid.
UtpalaAt the beginning of the universe, Utpala was female and in love with Taksaka; she protested the strongest at the demand that all the dragons become male, and retained more emotions than most afterwards. Her strongest emotion, however, was envy, leading to constant conflict with anyone else who Taksaka got close to. She's a major character in The Finite, but is dead in the main timeline and does not appear in the webtoon proper.
- All Love Is Unrequited: She knew that Taksaka couldn't return her feelings due to the circumstances of the Vritra clan, but was satisfied with the promise that she would always be "the dragon closest to him."
- Exact Words: When Taksaka starts living with Vasuki (who was the only one who could stop him if he went on a rampage) she is extremely upset because he promised that she would always be the one closest to him; he, however, points out that he said she'd always be the dragon closest to him, and Vasuki is not a dragon. This leads to their falling out.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Her driving emotion; she is bitterly envious of anyone else who gets close to Taksaka. Or not. In reality, she managed to get over her envy generations ago when she realized she had sired a half-dragon.
- Incompatible Orientation: In addition to suffering from being forced to become permanently male, she found that Taksaka no longer tolerated her in that form.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Contrary to the envy we're initially led to believe, seeing Taksaka with Ian actually makes her happy, since Ian is her descendant; and she ultimately chooses to die without revealing the truth of the attack on Ian's village to Taksaka, in order to protect him from the person who is really responsible.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: She is actually Ian's ancestor.
- Posthumous Character: She's dead by the time the main story takes place.
- Taking the Heat: She allows Taksaka to believe that she was responsible for destroying Ian Rajof's village, and lets him kill her so she can die with the knowledge of who is actually responsible, because if she found out who really did it he would seek revenge on them and she believes he'd get killed in the process.
- Transsexual: Played for drama. She was forced to take a male form forever, against her will, near the start of the universe, and this is at the root of much of her bitterness towards the gods and the rest of her clan.
- Walking Spoiler: Her actions, backstory, and motivations in The Finite are key to the story.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: Her backstory gives her a lot of reasons to act the way she does; she was forcibly assigned to the wrong gender when the Dragon clan was made a One-Gender Race, her beloved had his emotions stripped away and later rejected her, and she eventually dies, hated by him, after letting him believe she was responsible for destroying Ian's village. Only Ian knows the truth, and Utpala specifically asks her to never tell anyone. Worse, by the time of The Finite, she's not actually causing trouble anymore and hasn't for generations; but nobody will ever know.
YakshaFirst king of the clan.
- Intrigued by Humanity: He (and the rest of his clan) is friendlier to humans than most sura clans. As a result, Yaksha Halfs are the most common type of Half.
- Posthumous Character: Died long before the story began.
- Power Nullifier: His bones nullify Half transcendentals, and are used by Half hunters.
Second king of the clan. Garuda entrusted her with Yuta.
HanumanThird and current king of the clan. Lutz and Ran's grandmother.
KaliSee God Realm for more information.
TarakaYuta's mother and the 2nd king of the clan.
- Combat Tentacles: Her true form is a monstrous-looking, vaguely-female black outline descending into countless tentacles.
- The Dreaded: To her own people and everyone else.
- Healing Factor: She can regenerate indefinitely even after death, although she loses her memories in the process. Combine this with her Anti-Magic, and she is an extremely dangerous opponent.
- Lie to the Beholder: She appears to Yuta as looking just like Kali, but to everyone else is a tentacled Eldritch Abomination.
- My Beloved Smother: She wanted to groom Yuta into the image of a king, and a king by the twisted standards of the Chaos Clan at that. She constantly insisted that he shouldn't have friends or stay in his human form. She also claimed that he should view everyone and everything as food, and those who taught him otherwise (like Shuri) would just weaken him. She even followed him into the human realm to take him back home.
- Power Limiter: Her eyes can temporarily seal the transcendentals and magic of anyone within her range of vision; and she is able to permanently (or at least, for as long as she lives) seal the transcendentals of even a Nastika.
- Suicide by Cop: It's heavily implied that she committed suicide by attacking Kasak in order to forget the fact that she was a fake.
- Weak, but Skilled: She is weaker than a Rakshasa, but her other abilities make up for it.
See his entry in Main Characters.
BrahmaGoddess of Creation, known for being extremely neutral on the subject of fighting the sura.
- The Power of Creation: The source of it, specifically.
- The Old Gods: A Primeval God.
- Team Switzerland: Maintains neutrality at all times. She set up the barrier system so that humans would be protected against sura attacks, but made the barriers dependent on humans so that the sura would have a chance to attack.
VisnuThe God of Preservation, he is most known for his ability to see the future. He was also largely friendly to everyone and everything he met. It was thanks to his protection that humanity was able to fend off the sura. He separated the realms during the Cataclysm, and then disappeared along with Shiva.
- Blinding Bangs: His eyes are always covered by his hair.
- The Chessmaster: It certainly helps your cause when you can see all potential outcomes.
- Have You Seen My God?: He disappeared before the start of the story, leaving many things unfinished.
- Manipulative Bastard: He manipulated everyone for his own ends, but it's not clear what those ends are.
- The Omniscient: He is capable of seeing all possible outcomes.
- Omniscient Morality License: Depending on your point of view, he may or may not be in ownership of one.
- The Old Gods: Even more so than the other Primeval Gods, as he can remember past universes.
- Time Abyss: Primeval Gods exist regardless of the current universe. Visnu, however, is a special case: he alone can remember the past universes.
- Time Master: But if he does it too much, he loses his material form.
ShivaThe God of Destruction. He disappeared during the Cataclysm.
KaliThe Goddess of Chaos, considered mad by the rest, and for good reason.
- Consummate Liar: She regularly lied about her Insights.
- Green Eyes: A marvelous pair of blue-green eyes. Yuta's eyes sometimes turn the same color.
- Have You Seen My God?: She disappeared long before the Cataclysm, shortly after giving birth to Yuta.
- Missing Mom: To Yuta. At least she left him a simalucrum to act as his mother in her stead, who is...completely...crazy...okay, maybe not a good thing. Yuta even says she knew he would be miserable. Seems like she did it on purpose in order to shape her son.
- The Old Gods: A Primeval God.
KuberaThe God of Earth, and the god whose name Leez bears; his domains also encompass gravity, wealth, and strength.
- The Atoner: His current motivation seems to be to atone for his killing of Ananta, although he is clearly increasingly conflicted.
- Gravity Master: He is the god of Earth and wealth, after all.
- Manipulative Bastard: He is behind the sura searching for Leez...as well as the one who gave her his name in the first place.
- My Greatest Failure: It's implied that he deeply regrets his killing of Ananta; he specifically warns Leez not to repeat his mistakes, and to stand by those who give her their trust.
- The Nameless: It's implied he literally gave his name to Leez. He told her father to name his child Kubera, and from then on refused to use it for himself. He tells Leez that she can only call him 'mister', and even then, only if she doesn't attach any particular significance to it as a name.
- Pet the Dog: To animals and Leez.
- Power Dyes Your Hair: His normally gray-brown hair turns gold at night, along with his eyes.
- The Chooser of The One: He choose to let Leez live and inherit his Name.
- The Stoic: Agni notes that he's never seen him smile, and thinks he's lonely.
Agni/Babo KimThe incomparably silly God of Fire, summoned by Brilith when she was a child. His easy-going nature is largely an act, meant to reduce the strain on her.
- Baka: "Babo" is the Korean equivalent; like "baka", it translates pretty directly to "idiot." Yes, he named himself "Idiot Kim."
- Berserk Button: Don't push this, or he will make you remember that he's a god.
- Fan Boy: His initial disguise when the temple guards find him is to pretend to be Brilith's fanboy. Turns out it wasn't completely an act; he's very disappointed when he accidentally incinerates her autograph a few minutes later.
- The Fog of Ages: He implies he doesn't even remember his childhood, he's so old.
- Hot Wings: He can manifest wings of fire to fly around during combat.
- Nice Guy: Gandharva notes that he's the only decent god.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Not all of it's faked, but every once in a while he drops the mask and you remember he is very, very old and unspeakably powerful.
- He makes it clear that more of it is faked than you might expect at first after Gandharva interferes with his confrontation with Sagara — although he seemed to have been completely taken in by Sagara's sob-story, his conversation with Gandharva, who he views as more of an equal, is much colder and makes it clear he wasn't actually buying any of it.
- Playing with Fire: He is the God of fire.
- Worthy Opponent: To Gandharva.
VarunaThe God of Water. She is known for her extreme ruthlessness against the sura.
IndraThe God of Sky. He was appointed to be the king of the gods by the Primeval Gods.
YamaThe God of Death. He holds final dominion over all mortal souls; not even the Primeval Gods can oppose him.
- By-the-Book Cop: Other gods are constantly harassing him to extend the lives of favored mortals, and he is constantly denying them. It's not that he's cruel, he just wants everyone to follow the rules.
- God Of Death: For mortals, at least. He is in charge of making sure they die at their allotted time, and personally scratching their names off in Hell. Agni killed him to save Brilith; it's not clear what effect this has on the rest of the universe.