Characters: Kantai Collection Two
open/close all folders
Heavy Cruisers (CA) / Aircraft/Aviation Cruisers (CAV)A step up from Light Cruisers, Heavy Cruisers are second only to Battleships in terms of Attack Power and Armor, but still retain the speed and torpedoes of Light Cruisers. All Heavy Cruisers can equip seaplanes for scouting, but apart from remodeled Mogami-class and, given special requirements, the Tone-class (both of which get reclassified as Aircraft/Aviation Cruisers, and can launch seaplane bombers and autogyros for that role), are unable to attack subs. They are also much cheaper to maintain than Battleships.
- Jack-of-All-Stats: The go-to class when an admiral can't quite decide on a ship to fill their fleet's line-up. As of the more recent updates, the class to go to when map routing requires a "medium" fleet (meaning no battleships or any ship with a speed rating of "Slow").
- Theme Naming: All but Kako, the Mogami-class and the Tone-class* are named after Japanese mountains.
The Furutaka Class
- Bare Your Midriff: They both have very, very short sailor fukus.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: Furutaka and Kako have a noticeably lopsided design, with most of their equipment all stacked up on one side or the other. It becomes even more prominent in their second remodels, wherein it looks they're wearing bits and pieces taken from a suit of Power Armor.
Voiced by: Yuka Ootsubo
- "I'm Furutaka. I'll be happy to show how all the good points of heavy cruisers."
- Boisterous Bruiser: She takes a lot of pride about being a heavy cruiser.
- Chained by Fashion: Her second remodel has a pair of anchor chains wrapped around her body and connected to her cannon arm.
- Cloudcuckoolander's Minder: To Kako, in fanworks.
- Electronic Eyes: Her left eye is a replacement, a reference to how one of her searchlights was shot out. She reveals in the 4-koma that this is indeed her searchlight but using it drains her energy. Her second remodel coming with the item but having no traces of it on her own gear confirms this idea.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: Subverted; while her left eye is constantly glowing, if not outright spewing sparks, she one of the nicest and most polite girls in the fleet and only middle of the road in terms of power.
- Hair Decorations: Inherits Kako's screw hair clips in her Kai Ni artwork.
- Hot-Blooded: Compared to the lax Kako.
- Sensual Spandex: Her Kai Ni art has her don a black bodysuit under her clothes in place of her missing underwear.
- Sorry That I'm Dying: If she gets sunk.Furutaka: Kako, sorry.... I'm going ahead...
- Took a Level in Badass: With her second remodel, she gained a significant boost to her stats but kept her incredibly low ammo and fuel consumption, giving her above average power while consuming much less than the Myoukou-class or Takao-class. The biggest improvement however, was to her artwork◊.
- Why Did It Have To Be Submarines?: Oddly enough, a reference to a fairly minor incident in which a submarine fired torpedoes at the real-life Furutaka and missed.
Voiced by: Yuka Ootsubo
- "Second Furutaka Class Heavy Cruiser, name's Kako! Nice to meetcha!"
- Bandage Babe: Her second remodel gives black wraps around her torso, bottom, feet and wherever her gear is attached directly to her. Probably for the same reason as Furutaka's spandex.
- Berserk Button: Don't pull her super-mini short skirt.Kako (if heavily damaged): Youuu! You perverted son of a bitch!
- Calling Your Attacks"Eat this Kako special!"
- Hair Decorations: A screw-themed hairpin on her bangs, which are absent in her Kai Ni artwork, leading to her Peek-a-Bangs. She replaces it with a red ribbon tied around her ponytail.
- Heavy Sleeper / Not a Morning Person: Usually speaks in a sleepy tone, and falls asleep as soon as the fleet returns from sortie. A reference to the real life Kako's delayed construction.Kako: Stop it...so sluggish...the fitting...ah, forget it...
- Peek-a-Bangs: In her Kai Ni Artwork.
- Sarashi: Similar to Musashi, though Kako's are much more covering and sensible.
- Shock and Awe: Her second remodel appears to have electricity arcing off her shoulders.
- Short Hair with Tail / Rapunzel Hair: More noticeable in her Kai Ni artwork than her base art.
- The Slacker: One of her idle lines has her dismiss the need to attend a strategy meeting and say that she'll just ask Furutaka about it later.
- Stop Poking Me: She gets angry if her skirt is pulled.
- Took a Level in Badass: With her Kai Ni that hit the server on 12th of June 2015, she received a much needed stat increase, while retaining her low ammo and fuel consumption. Like her sister Furutaka, she also got absolutely stunning new artwork◊. Not bad for the one Heavy Cruiser who had a maximum remodeled base Firepower of 49* at the game's beginnings!
The Aoba Class
Voiced by: Aya Suzaki
- "Hi, thanks for your time, I'm Aoba! Please can I have some words!"
- Born Lucky: Her remodel has the third highest base Luck among heavy cruisers, losing out only to Myoukou's second remodel and Prinz Eugen's remodel. Her max Luck is the same as second remodel Myoukou and loses only to Prinz Eugen's remodel. This reflects how she survived from war-start until the bombing of Kure slightly more than one week before the nuking of Hiroshima, outliving all her comrades in CruDiv 6 and the Mikawa Fleet.
- Flanderization: In fandom she's depicted as being a curious and nosy reporter. Or at least more than she already is.
- Intrepid Reporter: Pretty much KanColle's answer to Aya ShameimaruHistorical reason . So far manages to avoid tabloid-style reporting (again, like Aya), but then again...Aoba: The fleet's back, could I have an interview?
- Parting Words Regret: If she gets sunk.Aoba: Sunk, huh... I wanted to sink at Kure....
- Zettai Ryouiki: Black, but unlike Kinugasa, Aoba doesn't wear sandals.
Voiced by: Megumi Nakajima
- "Ye~s, It's Miss Kinugasa's debut! Together with Aoba, take good care of me!"
- Declaration of Protection: Her line when you confess to her.Kinugasa: "Admiral, I want to protect you, I will grow stronger. But, if you get in trouble, please run away. I don't want to lose someone special."
- Girlish Pigtails: Which changes into a single sidetail in her Kai 2 remodel.
- Lame Pun Reaction: Implied to be given this from the Admiral in her idle line.Kinugasa: Ooooi! Oooooi!! Ah, you're not Ooi, you say? ...aah, I got glared at...
- Stop Poking Me: Surprisingly averted.Kinugasa: "If you keep touching me, I'll touch you back~ Hey hey!"
- Took a Level in Badass: Subverted; while she has a Kai Ni remodel, she still has distinctly lower stats than other heavy cruisers that have a Kai Ni, and her equipment isn't even particularly rare. However, her second remodel is at a relatively low level 55 and she remains very resource efficient after it, so it's not all bad news for her.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Black, and geta-style sandals with propellers at the back of the heels.
The Myoukou Class
- Dangerously Short Skirt: Their black skirts merely cover a third of their upper legs.
- Proper Tights with a Skirt: A pair of white leggings to complement their white gloves.
- Purple Is Powerful: Their overall color motiff, as befits one of the game's most versatile class of Heavy Cruisers.
- Scarf of Asskicking: Gains a white neck scarf with black accents upon their second remodel.
Voiced by: Risa Taneda
- "I am Myoukou, of the Myoukou-class Heavy Cruisers. Let us work on this together."
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: Myoukou is curt and to the point.
- Born Lucky: Her second remodel has the second highest Luck among heavy cruisers, losing out only to Prinz Eugen's remodel.
- Cool Big Sis: To Hatsukaze, who isn't even her sister and to Ashigara, who is.
- Does Not Know Her Own Strength/Dojikko: In fanworks, due to the Real Life collision with Hatsukaze.
- Hair Decorations: A pair of hairclips at each side of her hair.
- Took a Level in Badass: From the slightly stronger elder sister to the best Heavy Cruiser available in the game. What with torpedoes on par with some of the Light Cruisers and Destroyers, decent Firepower (one of two things Choukai and Haguro are slightly stronger at) and AA (she did take some practice while being stranded in Singapore as a AA battery) as well as the second highest luck amongst Heavy Cruisers. The new camouflage paint job on her ship parts and her skirt does help as well.
- Sole Survivor: The only one among her sisters that managed to end her career as a floating AA battery off Singapore.
- We Will Meet Again: If she gets sunk.Myoukou: See you... in another life... good bye.
Voiced by: Risa Taneda
- "You are my commander? I'm Nachi. I appreciate your contribution."
- Cool Big Sis: In fandom. Particularly to Ashigara, in her second remodel:Nachi: (Docking Line) I'll rest for a bit, but is Ashigara alright?
- Face Death with Dignity: If she gets sunk.Nachi: This is my end, huh... That's acceptable... Fare..thee..well...
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl: As shown in Myoukou's notification lines, she and the Admiral go to drink together at midnight.Nachi: I cannot be happy with just this victory.. we can't let our guard down! Nonetheless, let's go drink all night!
- Just A Flesh Wound: If gets moderately damaged:Nachi: A wound like this... It's nothing.
- Rapunzel Hair: Tied in a long Tomboyish Ponytail. Same ponytail splits into two with the second remodel.
- Took a Level in Badass: Somewhat. Her second remodel definitely improves her stats, and gives her the best anti-air and view range stats of the four sisters. However, she's generally considered the weakest of the four overall after their upgrades. Also, she has a pretty tough personality to begin with, so she can't really get more assertive than she is.
Voiced by: Risa Taneda
- "I'm Ashigara. My specialty is surface combat. Nice to meet you."
- Boisterous Bruiser: Loud, excitable, and very keen to get into the thick of things.
- Character Tic: Her constant use of the word "victory".Ashigara: Ah, it's natural consequence with me, Ashigara! A great victory!
- Christmas Cake: Her characterization in fanworks. Her "Hungry Wolf" nickname (as she's always hungry for victory) has been interpreted by Japanese fans to mean that she's always on the look out for men. Poked fun of in the anime, where Kisaragi initially mentions that she's suffered yet another failed mixer and didn't land a guy. Three episodes later this happens again, where she turns an otherwise fun curry-making contest into Serious Business of incredible proportions due to her belief that getting first place would prove that she deserves to get married already. Take note, her opponents are technically kids.
- Cute Little Fangs: Grows a pair with her second remodel, to help with the wolf motif.
- Hair Decorations: A white hairband.
- Hot-Blooded: Just see her lines.Ashigara: It's time for a sortie! Battle... VICTORY is calling for me!
- Lethal Chef: Her curry causes heartburns to the Admiral. As the anime reveals, Ashigara's idea of curry is closer to the subcontinental Indian style (read: incredibly spicy) than the comparatively mild version many Japanese (and in this case, Nagato) are used to.Ashigara: Eehhh! My katsu curry caused heartburn! H-how did this happen?!
- Red Baron: The Hungry Wolf. Not because she's always hungry (that's Akagi), but because of her need to claim victory. Of course, it gets another interpretation (See Christmas Cake entry)
Ashigara: I am the Ashigara that participated in the English fleet review, you know. I was acknowledged as the 'Hungry Wolf'. But of course! With this fearless body! Eh? That's got nothing to do with my sex appeal? Theres... no way that's right!
- Appropriated Appellation: The origins of the nickname are less than flattering : it came from the 1937 Spithead coronation naval review, where the British got to take a look at the living conditions of japanese sailors. The Japanese thought it was a compliment, and so does Kancolle's Ashigara.
- Took a Level in Badass: Like Myoukou and Haguro before her, she has a significant boosts to her stats with her second remodel. Unlike the two of them, she comes stock with three 20.3cm #2 turrets instead of two and a radar, giving low-end battleship-grade firepower on an otherwise smaller ship.
Voiced by: Risa Taneda
- "I'm Haguro. I'm the youngest of the Myoukou-class heavy cruiser sisters. U-um... I'm sorry!"
- Apologizes a Lot: Her crippling insecurity makes her assume that the Admiral noticing her means she's done something wrong.Haguro: C-commander? ...I'm sorry!
- Cannot Spit It Out: In her marriage line.Haguro: After this battle is over... T-together with the Commander...! Erm... Ummm... Errrmm...
- Hair Decorations: A hairclip.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Prone to give this from time to time.Haguro: I... don't need to receive this kind of strength...
- Shrinking Violet: She sounds like an easily-frightened mouse most of the time. All the more surprising, given her ship class.
Haguro: Fourth ship of the Myoukou-class heavy cruisers, Haguro. Together with everyone, I will support the front lines!
- Now with her Kai 2 upgrade coming through, her artwork depicts her looking much more confident, and her introduction line reflects it too.
- Tears of Joy: Which appears to be constant with her new remodel.
- Took a Level in Badass: Outside from the occasional CA buff, with her new remodel, she is now the second strongest pure CA in the game which like Jintsuu, comes with an additional level in assertiveness.
The Takao Class
- Custom Uniform / Nonuniform Uniform: Takao and Atago wear similar greenish-blue military-style uniforms and berets, but with different legwear and minor colour differences here and there. Maya and Choukai wear sailor uniforms with blue blouses, white miniskirts and red scarves, with the blouses being changed to abbreviated versions of Takao and Atago's and gaining berets on second remodel.
- Nice Hat: Takao and Atago wear berets. Maya and Choukai start out hatless but gain similar ones to their sisters on second remodel.
Voiced by: Nao Touyama
- "Good morning. I'm Takao. It's great that you look like a capital Admiral."
- Blue Oni: To Atago's red in the Shimakaze manga. Ironically, their shoe colours are the other way around.
- Buxom Is Better: A point of contention for Tone in-universe, and the main reason for the sheer number of Rule 34 Takao and her sister Atago are the subject of in the fandom.Historical reason
- Face Death with Dignity: If she gets sunk.Takao: I am... sinking, huh... Goodbye... Admiral...
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: It's implied in her conversation with Hagurou in the Shimakaze manga that Takao's the responsible sister.
- Going Commando: Her damaged art makes it pretty clear that she's not wearing anything underneath. Bizarrely, this includes her garter straps being connected to nothing at all. Doesn't count as Vapor Wear because her undamaged attire, on the other hand, is decent and doesn't make it obvious.
- Only Sane Woman: Takao is portrayed as the level-headed member of her fleet in the Shimakaze manga, and quite possibly to her sister as well. At one point, they even get into an argument about breast comparisons and how they are attracting the Admiral (see historical note above for reason).
- Sole Survivor: The only one among her sisters that limped away from the Battle of Leyte Gulf, and like Myoukou, ended her career as a floating AA battery off Singapore.
- Stocking Filler: Unlike Atago, who wears tights, Takao has seaplane-themed garter clips holding up her stockings.
- Those Two Girls: With Atago, due to the two of them having similar outfits.
- Zettai Ryouiki: A black and lacy pair.
Voiced by: Nao Touyama
- "I'm Atago, Admiral, please remember it, okay?"
- Buxom Is Better: Has an impressive pair of goodly-sized... fuel tanks.
- Catch Phrase: "Pan-paka-paaan," which she shouts out during equipment changes. The fandom ran with it and made it her catchphrase, and the anime solidified it.
- Dojikko: According to Takao in Shimakaze Girl of the Whirlwind.
- Genki Girl: She is a very cheery person, contrasting with dour Takao, Hot-Blooded Maya and literally calculative Choukai.
- Perpetual Smiler: She is often giggling and smiling.Atago: I'm getting stronger! *giggle*
- Proper Tights with a Skirt: She wears these, in contrast to Takao's stockings and garterbelt.
- Readings Are Off the Scale: Fandom assumes that Atago has bigger breasts than◊ Yamato.
- Red Oni: To Takao's blue in the Shimakaze manga.
- Those Two Girls: With Takao, due to the two of them having similar outfits.
Voiced by: Nao Touyama
- "Yo! Name's Maya, nice to meet you."
- Anti-Air: While good even before her second remodel, that upgrades her anti-air capability to one of the absolute best in the game, complete with the second best stat (after AA destroyer Akizuki) and top-quality AA equipment. When her second remodel was implemented in the game, a quest requiring her was added, "Sortie the Remodeled Anti-Air Heavy Cruiser", which gives additional AA equipment.
- Bare Your Midriff: More prominent in fandom. And in her Kai Ni artwork.
- Boisterous Bruiser: It rivals Kitakami.Maya: Isn't it obvious? I'm Maya-sama, you know?
- Declaration of Protection: Her line in her 2nd upgrade, telling you stay behind her.Maya: If you're afraid, just hide behind me. I'm the air defense cruiser Maya-sama! Okay, let me handle this! Just hide behind me!
- Hair Decorations: She and Choukai share "radar mast" hairbands. Maya also has a cross hairpin on one of her bangs. In her 2nd upgrade, Maya swaps the "radar mast" with AA Director-like antennas.
- The Lad-ette: Has the personality of a stereotypical crude and uncouth seaman.Maya: Hey you, you've gone and made me mad, huh.
- Necessary Drawback: Her firepower actually drop slightly after Kai Ni, a reference of how one of her main turrets is removed to make room for more AA guns.
- The Prankster: The Side:Kongou drama CD established her as one, trying to switch around the Kongou-class sisters' headbands as payback for eating Hiei's "unique" curry. That didn't work well of course.
- Took a Level in Badass: As to be expected from the Kai Ni update she received on March 13, 2015. Her Anti-Air stat is SPECTACULAR (106 maxed out without equipment, second only to Akizuki), her Armor and Torpedo stats are very solid, and to top things off, her new artwork looks amazing. All this awesomeness however is only achievable at the remodel level of 75, which is the highest amongst the Heavy Cruisers, equivalent to the remodel level of three out of four Kongou-class battleships.
Voiced by: Nao Touyama
- "I am Choukai. My best regards."
- Bare Your Midriff: Unlike Maya, Choukai's bare midriff is very obvious even in the official art.
- Blood from the Mouth: Her pre-Kai Ni damaged art has her bleeding from the mouth.
- Hair Decorations: Same type of hairband as Maya, but hers was actually broken off by Maikaze in the 4-koma. They are replaced with different model after Kai 2.
- If My Calculations Are Correct: Prone to this in many of her lines, likely to contrast with Maya's "rush into things without thinking" way of doing things.Choukai: Just as my calculations predicted. Of course, the commander's strategies were part of it.
- Meganekko: The only one among her sisters wearing them at that.
- Necessary Drawback: She needs a blueprint for Kai Ni upgrade, the only normal heavy cruiser to need it. This reflects the fact that the historical Choukai was almost constantly in action and thus never had time for a refit.
- Smart People Wear Glasses: Despite never receiving any upgrades, Choukai accomplished more than any of her sisters ever did during WWII. Maya attributes her performance to her being a "Glasses Character", because it means she's much smarter than everyone else.
- Sorry That I'm Dying: Her sinking line:Choukai: This is... a mistake in my calculations.... I'm sorry...
- Took a Level in Badass: Received her Kai Ni on 27th March 2015. At her second remodel, she is the most powerful heavy cruiser in the game with 85 Firepower* and 86 torpedo* stats, and comes with rare equipments, including the Skilled Lookouts and a small surface radar. However, since this upgrade wasn't implemented historically, she needs a blueprint for the aforementioned upgrade, making her the only normal* heavy cruiser that needs it.
The Tone Class
- Fashionable Asymmetry: Both Tone and Chikuma wear a single stocking on their left legs. Upon their remodel, each of them gains a single long glove as well.
- Going Commando: Both sisters gain a long skirt with a very high slit with their second remodel. Unfortunately, all that slit does is make it painfully obvious how both Tone and Chikuma aren't wearing any panties — not even the side-tie bikinis that Tatsuta, Akashi, or Yamato use.
- Not the Intended Use: On their second remodels, they become aviation cruisers, which not only allows them to carry bomber seaplanes, but drums canisters as well.
- Another equipment that an aviation cruiser are capable of equipping is the Skilled Carrier-based Aircraft Maintenance Personnel. While it was intended to extend the firepower and range effectiveness of the aircraft carriers, equipping them on aviation cruisers practically turns them into pocket battleships, with effective night battle firepower capable of giving even Choukai and Myoukou-class cruisers at their second remodel a run for the money.
- Target Spotter: Both Tone and Chikuma have the longest Spotting ranges of any Heavy Cruiser, which is very useful for getting pre-battle Scouting bonus to Accuracy and Evasion and getting artillery spotting to trigger. With their second remodels, they have the highest maximum spotting range in the game, only rivaled by the Standard Carriers.
- Vapor Wear: Whether or not the Tone class second remodel outfit includes underwear or not has been a subject of debate since its introduction, though some official work like the Someday in the Calm Seas manga seems to go with no-panties route.
Voiced by: Yuka Iguchi
- "I am Tone! With my addition to the fleet, there will be no problems searching out the enemy!"
- A-Cup Angst: In the 4-koma.Tone: Aren't we all Heavy Cruisers?!?
- Antiquated Linguistics: She talks in an antiquated masculine register for some reason.
- Cool Big Sis: To Chikuma. However it's onesided and Tone sees her as a rival.
- The Glorious War of Sisterly Rivalry: Has a onesided one with Chikuma.Tone: Not yet, not yet..! I won't lose to Chikuma!
- Little Big Sister: Noticeably shorter than Chikuma, which probably doesn't help with the above rivalry.
- Mega Twintails: Long ones down to her waist.
Voiced by: Yuka Iguchi
- "Pleased to meet you. 2nd of the Tone-class, Chikuma."
- Beware the Nice Ones: As shown in the 4koma, even she gets fed up with Tone's attitude.
- Big Little Sister: In fanworks she is portrayed as being taller than Tone. As well as bigger.
- Big Sister Worship: Unlike Yamashiro and Hiei, who look up to their big sisters, Chikuma wants to protect Tone, much to the latter's chagrin.
- Declaration of Protection: She wants to protect Tone, but the latter believes that because of this, she does not see her as the big sister.Chikuma: Why am I so strong? There's a person that I want to protect. *giggle*
- Unknown Rival: To Tone. Chikuma is oblivious to this, though.
- You Remind Me of X: After getting married, she tells the Admiral that he/she reminds her of Tone because of his/her kindness.Chikuma: Admiral? I appreciate your kindness. You resemble my sister, Tone. Fufu?
The Mogami Class
- Born Unlucky: All of them save for Mogami start with below average luck. This refers to their numerous design flaws as the designers tried to cram as much power in them as the London Naval Treaty permited for light cruisers.
- Not the Intended Use: Meant to carry weapons/planes. Made to carry drums for 5-4, as they have 4 slots and 4+ drums are needed to easily reach the boss. There are only 2 ships that are not CAVs that can carry 4 drums (Yuubari and Ooyodo) but both are unsuitable for various reasons. The former is too fragile for the task, while the latter has a pitifully low torpedo stat.
- Rare Random Drop: Except for Mogami, the other three are hard to craft and drop only at boss nodes of certain stages.
Voiced by: Aya Suzaki
- "I'm Mogami. It's alright, I won't collide with anyone this time. Really!"
- Affectionate Nickname: Mikuma refers to Mogami as "Mogamin". The fans soon follow suit.
- Boisterous Bruiser: Becomes one after being remodeled into an aircraft cruiser.Mogami: This is my true power, dude. 'cause I'm something like the pioneer of the helicopter destroyers, you know?
- Bokukko: And the actual tomboy of the game.
- Boyish Short Hair: Comes with the tomboy image.
- Cloudcuckoolander: In fandom, to contrast with the graceful Mikuma.
- Dojikko: She always crashes into other ships, a fact that she is aware of.Mogami: Yeah, yeah, I've got a habit of blowing the other ships out of the water, I wonder why?
- Took a Level in Kindness: To the Admiral after being remodeled.
Voiced by: Megumi Nakajima
- "Greetings, I'm Mikuma. I wonder where Mogami could be hiding?"
- Cannot Spit It Out: In her marriage line.Mikuma: Admiral, for taking such great care of me up until now, my gratitude is boundless. Umm.. If it's okay, afterwards, together with Mikuma…. Kumarinko!
- Character Tic: Her propensity to play with the -kuma segment of her name, and insert it into her lines. It doesn't count as a Verbal Tic however, as unlike, say, CL Kuma, she doesn't end all her lines with it.
- Girlish Pigtails: Matches well with the way she speaks.
- Hair Decorations: A pair of red ribbons.
- Keigo: Speaks very formally, to contrast with the tomboy Mogami.
Voiced by: Sarah Emi Bridcut
- "I'm Suzuya! What a lively fleet it is. I'll be in your care!"
- Cannot Spit It Out: In her marriage line.Suzuya: "A~dmira~l! It's a bit of a serious talk, but thanks for taking a ship like Suzuya this far! Again, 'grats...eh..ah...umm...anyway, as always, please take care of me!"
- Fanservice Pack: At her upgrade as an aircraft cruiser.
- Hidden Buxom: As a result of her holding up that newly added flight deck. She actually seems smaller until she gets Clothing Damage.
- Oh Crap!: If she gets sunkSuzuya: "C-crap... my torpedo tube, exploded...? That... could be bad..."
- Valley Girl: Suzuya also speaks in a relaxed and informal slang.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Striped kneesocks that go above her knee.
Voiced by: Sarah Emi Bridcut
- "Good day to you. I am the heavy cruiser Kumano."
- Funny Bruce Lee Noises: Kumano has a very strange battlecry, which makes her sound, among other things, like a dolphin.
- Keigo: Speaks very formally, to contrast with the tomboy Suzuya.
- The Ojou: Her lines and way of speaking point to her being raised in a privileged household.
- Parting Words Regret: If she gets sunk.Kumano: To sink in such a place... I wanted to wear cute clothes and eat Kobe beef... in my birthplace of Kobe...
- Sheltered Aristocrat: The fact that she's amazed at a simple sandwich bought at a convenience store says a lot.Kumano: "Admiral? These "Convenience store" sandwiches, this is the first time I have had them. They are unexpectedly good... Ah, 1 o'clock."
Battleships (BB) / Aviation Battleships (BBV)The most powerful of the so-called "surface ships", Battleships have the highest Health, Attack and Armor values in the game, and can equip the largest caliber guns available. In return for this however they are incapable of launching torpedos, and are especially vulnerable to dive bombers and — barring Aviation Battleships, who can launch seaplane bombers and autogyros to counterattack — submarine attacks. They also have the largest Maintenance costs in the game, and take ungodly amounts of time to repair if their Health dips to critical levels.
- Mighty Glacier: Every Japanese battleship except the Kongou sisters.
- Theme Naming: All but the Kongou-class* and Fusou* are named after ancient Japanese provinces.
The Nagato Class
- Bare Your Midriff: Their clothing tend to show this, moreso with Nagato and her impressive abs.
- Hair Decorations: One seemingly refering to the radar spires beside their real-life counterparts' command towers. Nagato's has hers mounted behind her head, while Mutsu's has hers on top (see Animal Motifs on her entry for further interpretation)
- Infinity-1 Ship: The two sisters are considered this, due to how comparatively easier the two are to get compared to the Yamato class; both Yamato and Musashi are available for building only through a significant investment in resources. And while Nagato and Mutsu are also available through LSC, one can use the default LSC recipe and still have a good chance of getting them, something that's impossible to do for Yamato. In return for this (relative) ease in acquiring them, an admiral is treated to a ship class that's second only to the Yamato-class in Firepower, Anti-Air, and Armor.
- However, getting Nagato is anything but easy for medium-experienced players, who may get ship No.2~115 but not Nagato as No.1. While Mutsu is easy to get once you finish the 5-3 nightmare and dive into 5-4 repeatedly for easy EXP, Nagato is rare everywhere. Any map that drops her (5-4 not among them) either have random dead ends(2-4, 3-2, 3-3, 3-4, 4-4) and/or outright hard (all of those except 3-3, plus 6-2 which do have a definite route to boss* ). Unlucky players also won't get her through Normal construction (2% chance) or LSC (about 5% chance) for a while.
- Power Creep: As of June 2015, performance-wise Nagato-class is very close to Kongou-, Fusou-, Bismarck- and Littorio-classes' final remodels. Nagato still holds advantage in survivability, low remodel level and the fact that she doesn't need blueprints to remodel. *
Voiced by: Ayane Sakura
- "I am Battleship Nagato, pleased to meet you. Leave the enemy battleships to me."
- Alternate Character Reading: "Nagamon" is the alternate reading of her name, and it is commonly used by the fandom whenever she does something completely wacky (or perverted).
- Contralto of Danger: Her voice pitch is quite low and powerful in the anime, perfect for the stern authority she displays as the adaptation's secretary ship, though she lets up when approached by a chipmunk.
- Cuteness Proximity: More often than not, a good chunk of the fandom portray her with this. This art by her official illustrator for one magazine cover seems to back this up. During these cases, she's given a personality akin to Sakaki from Azumanga Daioh, complete with keeping a telephoto camera on hand to capture said cuteness for posterity. It's partially canonized in the anime, where Nagato displays a completely goofy and cutesy side when a squirrel appears in the Truk base's bath.
- Does Not Know His Own Strength/Dojikko: Less frequently depicted by fandom compared to the Cuteness Proximity example, with most depictions having her accidentally break random things due to her Super Strength (the justification for that strength being that she is one of the most powerful battleships both in Real Life and in-game). Still, the fandom depict her using that power to break things intentionally.
- Driven by Envy: While the game doesn't show this at all, the official 4-koma portrays her like this. Despite Nagato being the best battleship in the game after Yamato, and her supposedly being one of the Big 7, she finds her popularity easily overshadowed by Yamato's, even with Yamato's whole existence being kept secret before.Nagato: Even though I was the national idol at the time, all the later anime and movies are named after you instead!
- Also, in Episode 10 of the anime, she dislikes how, despite being the Admiral's flagship, he actually expects more from Fubuki. Mutsu bluntly says Nagato is jealous of Fubuki.
- Hopeless Suitor: It's implied in the anime that she has feelings for the Admiral, who seems to value Fubuki more.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: If Fubuki, Shimakaze, Kongou, and Yamato were not as popular as they are now, Nagato would have effectively been the poster child of the game. Her standing in the fandom (well-loved) and the game proper (number one in the sorting) are very high and well-appreciated, but unfortunately not enough to compete with the other characters.
- Repressed Memories: Of her involvement in Operation Crossroads, as per her marriage line:Nagato: What is it I wonder? What is that landscape, deep inside my memories? Friendly and enemy ships, and then that enormous light... Hey, Admiral...I must be stressed out.
- The Stoic: She somewhat speaks in a deep, near-monotonous tone in most of her appearances in the anime, due to her role as Secretary Ship of the fleet.
- Sole Survivor: Of not only her ship class, but of all the capital ships in the Imperial Japanese Navy.
- Born Lucky: As a result, she has the single highest overhead Luck stat of the entire capital fleet (99).
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade-A with her Black-on-Red thigh-highs, contrasting with her mostly-white color theme.
Voiced by: Ayane Sakura
- "Nagato class battleship 2nd ship, Mutsu. Pleased to meet you. Don't play with fire too much, ok? Please..."
- Animal Motifs: Her horn-like headgear gives her a resemblance to a slug or a snail. Drawing Mutsu as a slug became a meme in some parts.
- Born Unlucky: Before the introduction of Taihou, she had the lowest luck stat in the game, given she was sunk at home by a disgruntled crewman who set her munitions on fire. (Probably; see below.)
- In addition, the real Mutsu was an unfortunate target of the ever-so-infamous Washington Naval Treaty, so she was a literal case of Born Unlucky.*
- Catch Phrase: "Ara? Ara-ara~", a line usually associated with sweet big sisterly characters.
- Chained by Fashion: She has an anchor with a chain wrapped around her left leg
- Man on Fire: Mutsu is always mentioned in the game along the lines of "Don't play with fire." There is a reason behind that: The real life Mutsu's no. 3 turret exploded on June 8, 1943 when Mutsu was moored in the Hashirajima fleet anchorage. It was concluded that the explosion was most likely caused by a disgruntled, suicidal crewman who sabotaged and set the fire around the turret, although the true story behind the explosion remains a mystery. Regardless, the result of the explosion caused Mutsu to literally split into half. If you put it this way, she was indeed literally on fire.*
- My Eyes Are Up Here: In her marriage line.Mutsu: Admiral, why are you looking at my third gun turret? If you're going to look, look over here.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Gets a Grade-C with her kneesocks.
The Kongou Class
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Surprisingly enough in the anime, while being a veritable bunch of goofballs on-land, the four sisters show themselves to be quite deadly when on a mission. This also applies to their intellect and emotional intelligence, particularly for Kongou and Kirishima. Kirishima is the brains of the group, while Kongou, despite being total utter wacky Cloudcuckoolander, is actually spot on when she says in Episode 9 that the admiral must have had a good reason for recalling Fubuki back to the Naval District. Turns out that Fubuki was returning to get a major remodel.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: In the anime. The four sisters are... quirky, to say the least. Even Kirishima isn't free from this. As a result, Fubuki's image of a "cool" Kongou gets completely shattered when she learns the truth.
- Hair Decorations: The "radar wing" hairbands they share.
- Incoming Ham: In the anime. All of them are willing to agree with their older sister Kongou on trying to find Shimakaze by having a concert, and they play this for all it's worth in their introductions.
- Infinity–1 Sword: See Nagato class above, Kongou class are really easy to get for medium-or-above Admirals, and the above drawback doesn't apply since long caliber guns are abundant. Together with some map's discrimination against Slow ships, the Kongou Fast Battleships are core of the fleet for most Admirals. However, obtaining both Nagato sisters is still highly desirable, due to unlocking of some tasks that give uncraftable strong items, and some Special Event maps (or task) have discrimination against Fast ships. The Nagato and Yamato class also fare better in ultra-hard maps like 5-5 and Summer E-6.
- Lightning Bruisers: They are the only Japanese battleships with a listed speed of Fast.
- Miko: In theme only, unfortunately, and they don't perform anything remotely miko-like.
- Necessary Drawback: In return for their high speed and firepower, they start with only 3 slots before their remodel, and they cannot equip medium caliber guns. Not much of an issue for mid-level or above admirals, but lower-level admirals will have a significantly harder time increasing their firepower apart from sticking more main guns.
- While they are capable of equipping the main guns up to 46cm caliber used on the Yamato-class battleships, the introduction of the overweight penalty hits them harder than other battleships as they suffers accuracy penalty when any guns of 41cm caliber or higher was equipped on them, so equipping those guns means a tradeoff between accuracy and power for them, especially in Combined Fleet.
- Older Than They Look: They are the oldest ships in the entire IJN fleet available in the game, though this isn't usually referenced in both official and fan works. Historic note
- Sarashi: Revealed to wear one when badly damaged. For some reason, Kirishima lacks it (at least until her Kai 2 form).
Voiced by: Nao Touyama
- "It's the British-born returnee, Kongou! Nice to meet you!"
- Boisterous Bruiser: Loud, excitable, and hits like a freight train.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Very clingy towards Admiral.Kongou: "Even though I told you to not look away... Admiral, just what are you doing?"
- Cool Big Sis: More noticeable in the anime, as she's usually THE one Fubuki turns to whenever she has problems. The game also implies she's like this for the rest of her sisters, though Hiei over-exaggerates this.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Her unique line as your secretary, post-marriage:Kongou: HEY! Admiral~ Even though you're always doing your best, I want you to not push yourself so hard~!
- Genki Girl: While she can be thoughtful and tranquil, 90% of the time she acts like her fuel was replaced by sugar.
- Gratuitous English: A bad habit she picked up in England and shows up in nearly every single one of her lines.
- Green-Eyed Monster: When showing the Admiral the Player Score.Kongou: "Admiral! You've got mail! I won't forgive you if it's a love letter!"
- Idiot Hair: Has a relatively large one behind her radar headband, and she's really prone to over-the-top decisions.
- Incoming Ham: Prone to acting like this in most of the adaptations. Particularly in the anime when she screams and glomps Ooyodo, mistaking her for the Admiral.Kongou: BUUUUUUUUUUURNING... LOOOOOOOOOOVE!
- Large Ham: Has a really booming voice and bubbly personality, not to mention the Hot-Blooded screams filled with Gratuitous English.YES! (random door slams open) I just finished baking the scones, DEESU!
- The Nicknamer: In the anime, Kongou give nicknames to destroyers she meets. Fubuki becomes "Buki", Shimikaze is "Zekamashi", Akatsuki becomes "Zuki", and she combines Ikazuchi and Inazuma into "Raiden."
- Lightning Bruiser: Kongou and her sisters are the only Japanese Battleships in the game with a listed speed of "Fast". All the other battleships are slow-moving behemoths by comparison.
- In fact, Kongou's (and Hiei's) Kai 2 forms, when maximized, are both practically as powerful as the Nagato-class and still as fast as a cruiser. And that's not counting Kirishima Kai 2, who's even more powerful.
- Precision F-Strike: If heavily damaged.Kongou: Shit! The precious equipment I got from the Admiral!
- Spot of Tea: Tea time is serious business. Yet another habit she picked up while in England.
- Surprisingly Good English: While it is used randomly, her pronunciation of English words is much better than you'd expect (though not without the usual stumbles common with these tropes).
- Team Chef: In Someday as the Seas Turn Calm, she's the one who makes the (English) food for her sisters. However, her food is well-liked by everyone.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Black Tea, of course!
- Verbal Tic: A lot of fans believe her other lines end with "DEEESU", her Katakana variant of "desu".
Voiced by: Nao Touyama
- "I'm Hiei, Big sister Kongou's sister. I'm looking forward to gaining experience and getting closer to my sister's brilliance."
- Big Sister Worship: For Kongou.
- Catch Phrase: Loves doing things WITH ALL HER SPIRIT!
- Green-Eyed Monster: One of her lines implies that she knows that Kongou has feelings for the Admiral.Hiei: "I won't lose out to the Chief, neither in love or in battle!"
- However, her second remodel lines indicates she doesn't really dislike the Admiral and appreciates his/her attention as much as her sister does. She even sulks when the Admiral ran away from eating her curry in one of these.
- Hair Decorations: Just like her sisters, though by her second remodel the hairband itself isn't too obvious anymore, leaving the two radar "wings" visible instead.
- Important Haircut: For her Kai 2 remodel.
- Lethal Chef:
- Implied by her hourly notification lines. She tries to prepare some curry for the Admiral, and when she asks how it is, the Admiral runs away.
- The Kongou class even get an entire Drama CD dedicated to their attempt to get her curry to at least edible levels after the first batch nearly sent them into shock and knocked out the Admiral.
- Episode 6 of the anime sees her...erm, contribution to the curry she and Kongou are making mosaic censored out. When this was added to the curry base Kongou made, it turned it purple. Their taste test ended with their faces being turned every color of the rainbow, ultimately knocking them both out.
- Lightning Bruiser: Similar to Kongou, especially at her 2nd upgrade. Relative to the others, she is the sister with marginally better durability.
- Verbal Tic: "Hie~!", an obvious pun to her name.
Voiced by: Nao Touyama
- "Fast battleship, Haruna, was appointed. You're the Admiral, correct? Please take care of me."
- Art Evolution: Not her, but her backpack in the anime: While the game has her cannon backpack designed like Kongou's, the anime changed it in favor of the design used on Hiei's and Kirishima's. This change in design allows the differentiation between Kongou and her sisters.Explanation
- Born Lucky: Technically luckier than the her sister ships (she has an above-average Luck header post-second Remodel), but this is for a completely different reason.Explanation
- Catch Phrase: "Haruna is alright". It gets so bad, in the Drama CD's roll call she nearly introduces herself as Battleship Daijoubu.
- Declaration of Protection: As shown in her marriage line.Haruna: "What is it... this desire to protect...is overflowing. My comrades... and the Admiral... you too..."
- Face Death with Dignity: If she gets sunk.Haruna: If this is my fate...I'll accept it. I'm sorry...
- Humble Warrior: She has a modest, humble personality.Haruna: "I'm just doing what is natural. To give special assessment, it will be too good for Haruna."
- Informed Attribute: According to Kirishima, Haruna is as smart as her.
- Irony: Her historical counterpart was the first among her sisters to have her modernization to fast battleship spec complete. In-game, she is the last among her sisters, in both date of implementation and level requirement, to receive her Kai 2 remodel.
- Lightning Bruiser: Like her sisters, but with a bit more Lightning than Bruiser. She traded Durability and Firepower for Evasion and enhanced Anti-Air. As she also remodels later than her sisters (at Lv. 80), she sports more gear than the others.
- Shrinking Violet: In fanworks, exaggerating her humble personality Up to Eleven.
- Third-Person Person: The only one among the sisters to do so, which is meant to reflect her humble nature.
- Unknown Rival: Kirishima's library line says she won't lose to Haruna. None of Haruna's lines acknowledge this rivalry.
Voiced by: Nao Touyama
- "Is the microphone's volume good? Check, 1,2... Okay. How do you do, I'm Kirishima."
- Blind Without 'Em: As said in her hourly line.Kirishima: "Commander! If you take my glasses, I can't fight!"
- Averted in the anime straight to The Glasses Come Off point.
- The Glasses Come Off: In the anime, Kirishima takes them off before turning around and mowing down a small group of Abyssal ships. Even her sisters are surprised by it!
- If My Calculations Are Correct: Prone to this in many of her lines, especially in her marriage line.Kirishima: "According to my calculations, after the battle is over, the Commander and I probably, possibly, maybe... No.. it's nothing!"
- Lemony Narrator: Her role in Episode 6 of the anime is to ham up the curry competition to surreal levels, if that was even possible. Naka ends up lampshading this.
- Lightning Bruiser: Similar to her sisters but with the extra perk of her Kai 2 having superior firepower to the Nagato-class in exchange for a small amount of durability. Fanartists have taken this to Rated M for Manly levels of awesome.*
- Meganekko: To accentuate how she's the "brainy" one among her sisters.
- Not So Above It All: Constantly trying to rein in her more intense older sisters, Kongou and Hiei, especially when Hiei starts copying Kongou's "BURNING LOVE" catchphrase, only to do the exact same thing when she thinks no one is looking.
- Only Sane Man: In fanworks, compared to the Hot-Blooded Kongou and Hiei.
- Zigzagged. A growing number of fanworks depict Kirishima as (secretly) even more Hot-Blooded and violent than her sisters (example here◊), since she's the only one of them who actually fought a battleship-versus-battleship gun duel - see Lightning Bruiser above.
- Non-existent in the anime. She may be the person who gets the orders from command, but she follows along with Kongou blindly no matter what. And, when she does get to be the brains, she suggests getting pictures of Kitakami x Ooi action to lure Shimakaze out of hiding.
- The Rival: To Haruna, who either doesn't notice or doesn't care.
- Fanartists portray her as one to Re-class due to both her Kai Ni and Re-class, whose stats and whose map was based on the Second Battle of Guadalcanal, respectively, coming out at the same time in-game.
- Statuesque Stunner: Her second remodel art makes her look gigantic compared to her sisters. Whether that's intentional or not is still up for debate.
- Stop Poking Me: Takes it a little more literally than most.Kirishima: ''"You know, what's with your constant poking? Is it a new command?"
The Fusou Class
- Born Unlucky: They have some of the lowest base Luck scores in the game, a reference to both the constant string of issues the real-life ships had, as well as their disastrous sortie during the Battle of Surigao Strait. Yamashiro, however, makes a bigger deal of it.Yamashiro: Such misfortune...
- Discard and Draw: Their remodel converts them into Aviation Battleships, which in return for a reduction in their Firepower score, increases all their other stats and gives them the ability to launch Anti-Submarine floatplanes, giving them a modest chance to hurt submarines back.
- The Eeyore: These two are... not exactly positive people.
- Hair Decorations: The class's oversized pagoda mast has been transformed into an equally oversized hair decoration. In the Christmas episode of the 4koma, it was compared to a Christmas tree by Fubuki just before Fusou appears with an actual miniature Christmas tree where it was. It has since turned into a Running Gag where for the Hina Matsuri episode, it is replaced with a paper lantern and for the Hanami episode of the 4koma, both sisters replaced it with miniature flowering cherry trees.
- Historical In-Joke: The actual Fusou and Yamashiro were never remodeled into Aviation Battleships. They were planned for the conversion but it never went on. Their remodel represents what if they were actually converted. Their second remodel, however, is completely hypothetical, with their use of Triple 41cm Cannon Prototypes among other things.
- Miko: Much like the Kongou class, only in terms of aesthetics.
- Shields Are Useless: For defense, one assumes. However, as they represent flightdecks post-remodeling, they're not useless, as they're used to launch seaplane scouts and torpedo planes.
- Took a Level in Badass: Their second remodels. Outside of a general slight buff, their firepower have been increased tremendously to be on par with Nagato and their seaplane slot counts have been rearranged. However, their remodeling necessitates level 80 and a blueprint, which means they are only available for high level admirals. The two of the them have minute differences, however. Fusou has better Firepower and AA, Yamashiro has better Luck and Armor. They also come with a Martial Arts Headband.
Voiced by: Saki Fujita
- "Super-Dreadnought/Battleship Fusou Class, the elder Fusou. Please take care of me along with my sister Yamashiro."
- Asskicking Pose: Her pose as left when heavily damaged, plus with attractiveness.
- Cannot Spit It Out: To the Admiral after remodelling to Kai-Ni.Fusou: Admiral, why is the sky so blue I wonder... My heart is also, towards the Admiral.... I-It's nothing! Nothing at all. I'm sorry...
- Commonality Connection: Invokes this in the 4-koma, where she's particularly happy about meeting other unlucky ships like her.
- Character Development: After being remodeled in her Kai-Ni form, she is a bit less sulky than before and warms up to the Admiral.
- Cool Big Sis: Her lines show that she likes to look after Yamashiro. If she gets modernized, she asks the Admiral to do the same for Yamashiro as well.Fusou: Please modernize my sister Yamashiro as well.
- Flanderization: In fanon she is portrayed as being resentful and more sulky than she already is.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Towards Ise and Hyuuga in-game. Towards every ship better than her in the 4-koma. Justified, since she was supposed to be the flagship of the IJN, and therefore the best.
- Historical In-Joke: Using Saki Fujita as the VA for Fusou may have been more than appropriate.note
- Minor Injury Overreaction: When she takes light damage, she screams bloody murder. In contrast, her delivery of her moderate damage line is a lot more subdued.
- The Rival: Sees Ise and Hyuuga as this. This derives from the real-life fact that the Ise-class was initially designed as a member of Fusou class but later revised heavily from the faulty design of Fusou-class.Fusou: I just don't wanna lose out to Ise and Hyuuga!
Voiced by: Saki Fujita
- "Fusou-class battleship sisters, younger sister, Yamashiro. Umm, have you seen elder sister Fusou?"
- Big Sister Worship: Seriously, she takes it Up to Eleven. While at least other sisters with Big Sister Worship also care for the Admiral as well or tell him that If It's You, It's Okay, Yamashiro talks and refers to Fusou in almost all her lines (and when she doesn't, she sulks about being Born Unlucky).Historical reason
- Fragile Flower: She always talks like she is on the verge of tears, except when referring to Fusou.
- Hidden Depths: While she's usually meek, when leading battle she's surprisingly fierce, powerful, and full of authority not unlike Nagato. Might be an allusion of her service as the flagship of Nishimura Fleet.
- Single-Target Sexuality: Yamashiro has the biggest sister-complex in the game and is completely Fusou-sexual. She even politely rejects the Admiral in her marriage line.Yamashiro: T-Thank you...but my heart will always belong to elder sister Fusou...I'm sorry.
- However, her secretary lines in her Kai-ni form imply that she likes the Admiral as much as Fusou.
- Together in Death: If she gets sunk.Yamashiro: Elder sister Fusou... I'll be with you to the other side...
- "Well Done Ship", Girl: She always seeks for Fusou's approval.
- Why Did It Have to Be Night Battles?: Yamashiro dislikes night battles, since her Real Life counterpart was sunk in a night battle at Surigao Strait.
The Ise Class
- Discard and Draw: Like the Fusou class, they remodel into aviation battleships, causing a drop in Firepower in exchange for the ability to launch seaplane bombers.
- Ornamental Weapon: Ise and Hyuuga carry katanas around but considering the sheer size of their equipment they probably can't even draw them.
Voiced by: Yuka Ootsubo
- "Super-dreadnaught, 1st of the Ise-class, Ise. Setting off!"
- Face Death with Dignity: If she gets sunk.Ise: This is it, huh... Hyuuga, I'm going ahead...
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: Ise is the foolish one in the 4-koma.
- Necessary Drawback: Possesses the highest Evasion stat of any battleship not possessing a secondary remodel. In exchange for this, however, she (and by extension her sister Hyuuga) has comparatively lower Firepower and Armor values. What's more, she's a Gold-rarity ship, meaning unless one is terribly lucky in construction, a player will maybe get her in World 2 at earliest.
- Shields Are Useless: Much like the Fusou sisters, the "shield" in question is just the flight deck her seaplanes take off on.
- The Slacker: An instructor for the new, young destroyers but will use any excuse to ditch work and even when she does she puts the minimum amount of effort into her lessons, though Yamato noted that said personality makes Ise able to deal with destroyers easier than someone like herself.
Voiced by: Yuka Ootsubo
- "You're the Admiral? I see. Anyway. Second ship of the Ise class, Hyuuga. Remember me, if you would."
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: Hyuuga is the responsible one in the 4-koma.
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl: Surprisingly, as shown in her marriage line:Hyuuga: Aviation Battleship... got a nice ring to it, yeah? You get it, right? Alright... let's drink! We're not going back 'till morning!
- Shields Are Useless: Demonstrated by Kaga of all people, in the 4-koma.Hyuuga: Flight decks don't work as shields!
The Yamato Class
- Awesome but Impractical: The most awesome ship class, but also the most impractical of them all. They have the highest firepower stats in the game, as well as formidable armor and AA, but devour even more resources than the other battleships for maintenance and take an eternity to repair, especially when under heavy damage. Not to mention you can only get them through Large Ship Construction, meaning you're gonna have to pump tons and tons of resources just to have a chance to obtain them. Rational Admirals not particularly interested in Yamato-class would build a experienced and balanced fleet before devoting such amount of resources. Devoting at least 18,000 resources (four types combined) only for an 2.5% chance each to get Yamato or Musashi, many players get frustrated and desperate from LSC failures, some to the extent of outright abandoning the game, making her truly impractical.
- Infinity+1 Sword: ...However, for the lucky few that both manage to craft one of the Yamato sisters and have enough resources to sortie them consistently, they are almost gamebreakingly powerful. In addition to having the highest firepower, health and armor in the game, they are the only ships that can equip multiple 46cm guns without incurring an accuracy penalty.
- Rare Random Drop: Currently only available for crafting via Large Ship Construction, compared to the rest of the IJN Battleships which can be receieved as sortie drops. And even with use of appropriately large amount of resources, the chances of admirals getting them in construction is pretty low.
- Sailor Fuku: The only battleship class to wear one, although it is extensively modified and only Yamato wears it correctly. Musashi's top is draped on her back, leaving only the collar on.
Voiced by: Ayana Taketatsu
- "1st of the Yamato-class battleships, Yamato. Heading forth!"
- A-Cup Angst: While she's not exactly flat by any measure, her Type 91 bra makes her bust line appear considerably larger than it actually is. Perhaps she's jealous of Musashi.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: The anime gave her a brighter maroon hair and eyes, compared to her appearance in the game which has more black than red.
- A Day in the Limelight: Episode 8 of the anime focuses on her life as caretaker of the Truk Base, and her concern for not being allowed to sortie like most of the fleet girls. The episode title is even a reference to one of her hourly lines. (See Got Me Doing It entry below)
- Boobs of Steel: Literally, at least when you count her Type 91 bra. Her firepower (139) is also the joint-highest, tied with Musashi. The fact that the fandom often sees her as having the biggest breasts out of all of the girls is yet another thing.
- Big Eater: As episode 8 showed, Yamato manages to out-eat even Akagi. A reference from the game, where Yamato's resource maintenance costs are easily twice as much as the next most-expensive fleet girl (Nagato).
- Embarrassing Nickname/Insistent Terminology: About being called "Yamato Hotel".Yamato: Hotel, you say? N-no, you're wrong!
- Got Me Doing It: Yamato may hate being called a hotel, but she sometimes lapses into using it herself.Yamato: 1200. Hotel Yamato's famous lunch time's... wait, I'm not a hotel.
- Got Me Doing It: Yamato may hate being called a hotel, but she sometimes lapses into using it herself.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: Has a normal leg sock on her right and a thigh-high on her left.
- Hair Decorations: A radar-mast themed hairband decorated with cherry blossoms.
- Necessary Drawback: She has a slightly better Health Pool and base Luck (10 as stock, 13 at remodel) compared to her sister, at the cost of a higher Remodel Level Requirement (Lvl60 compared to Musashi's Lvl40)
- Parasol of Prettiness: Easy to miss, but yes, she's actually holding a small one in her right hand. The shaft of the parasol is based on the battleship's distinctive inverted-tripod mast.
- Pink Means Feminine: A great number of fanartists usually have her pictured under cherry blossoms, one of the most feminine things in Japanese. In fact, her card looks like it even has these cherry blossoms and her official artwork has cherry blossoms in her hair. This may be due to how the name "Yamato" is a historically poetic name.
- Shrinking Violet: According to Musashi.Musashi: If Yamato is here, then that's amazing. That girl, she's unexpectedly shy, you know. She doesn't go out much.
- Take Up My Sword: Her sinking line evokes this, particularly to her sister battleship and her half-sister carrier: Doubles as a sick Irony on her part.Note Yamato: "Again... I pass away... all hands... top deck... Musashi... Shinano... I leave the rest to you..."
- Understatement:Yamato: Admiral? Erm~ well...my living condition is a level above the other ship girls...is that okay?Side note: Air conditioned quarters, bathhouse, kitchen with refrigeration facility, full course meal for officers with live band playing in the background...
- Zettai Ryouiki: Despite the Fashionable Asymmetry, she somehow gets a Grade-A (at maximum) with her leg bands-slash-shell racks.
Voiced by: Misato
- "Hmpf, it seems that I've kept you waiting... Second of the Yamato-class battleships, Musashi, has arrived!"
- Ambiguously Brown: A design choice that frankly puzzled many fan artists at first.Historical reason
- Badass Arm-Fold: A variation with her in-game portrait. See main pic.
- Bandage Babe: Has wraps on her upper arms, waist, and legs. Even her "bra" is really just a few strips of these wrapped around her boobs several times.
- Bare Your Midriff: With her Sarashi covering little of her body, it's to be expected.
- Big Ego, Hidden Depths: She is extremely proud and unabashedly declares herself the mightiest ship in the fleet, but her marriage and sinking lines imply that her haughtiness and love of battle stem from a fierce desire to protect her fellow shipgirls and keep people safe.
- Big Little Sister: To Yamato. Though they're both depicted as very tall and well built, the historical Musashi had greater displacement and more secondary guns than the Yamato, despite being slightly smaller and newer. This is reflected in game by Musashi having much larger "fuel tanks".
- Boisterous Bruiser: Speaks more haughtily than her elder sister. And packs a slightly harder punch, too.
- Boobs of Steel: And barely kept in check by her "bra" too.
- Born Unlucky: Though not to the extent of Mutsu or the Fusou-class, she has below average base luck (which apparently drops to single-digit levels upon remodel), likely in reference to how her real life counterpart was sunk without ever having fired on an enemy surface ship.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Her idle line as your secretary:Musashi: Admiral, if you're busy, you should close the browser - that's the Admiral way... What? You were thinking of the next strategy? Oh, my apologies then.
- Coat Cape: She is supposed to have a Sailor Fuku like Yamato, but she wears it like this instead.
- Dark-Skinned Blond: Which makes her stand out, as barring I-401, everyone else has been portrayed as uniformly fair-skinned.
- Declaration of Protection: To the Admiral in her marriage line.Musashi: "Admiral, you can trust that I will protect you from anyone who would aim at you. Oh, you doubt me? This Musashi, you are taking her lightly. At any rate, I look forward to working together, partner."
- Determinator: Her ludicrous health pool and armor, both the highest in game for any of your units, and her moderate damage quote paint her as this. A reference to the ridiculous amount of damage she endured during the Battle of Sibuyan Sea (part of the set of battles that would comprise the Battle of Leyte Gulf), where she remained operational after being struck by nineteen torpedoes, twenty cannon strikes and seventeen bombs before finally going down.Musashi: "Not yet... with just this, this Musashi... will never sink!"
- Fashionable Asymmetry: While she wears bandages on her legs, the left seems to reach up to her upper thigh.
- Girlish Pigtails: Not evident, but has a couple thin strands that extend down to her shoulders.
- Hair Decorations: A "searchlight" hairband.
- Horned Hairdo: In appearance only, personality-wise she's quite nice.
- I Regret Nothing: Her sinking dialogue.Musashi: "For I, Musashi, managed to block the attacks on everybody else... well... I'm... satisfied..."
- Leitmotif: Musashi's Return. Available as a BGM upon acquiring the limited-offer furniture.(See Real Life Writes the Plot)
- Meganekko: A small obloid pair.
- My Greatest Failure: As inferred from one of her night time battle dialogues, she hasn't completely forgotten her fate during her final sortie. (see Determinator entry)Musashi: That's right! I can't let this go like what happened at Sibuyan Sea!
- Necessary Drawback: She can be remodeled at a much lower level than Yamato, but has less anti-air and incredibly low luck.
- Real Life Writes the Plot: In March 2015, the wreck of the real life Musashi was discovered after being lost for nearly 70 years. In commemoration, a limited-time furniture item was added, Musashi was given her own Leitmotif, and her drop rate from the LSC was temporarily increased.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: A bright red pair to accentuate her Boisterous Bruiser status.
- Sarashi: What her "bra" seems to be.
- Third-Person Person: Usually refers to herself by her given name, and rather haughtily at that.
- Trademark Favorite Food: A few of her hourly lines reference cuisine from her home port of Nagasaki, including the famous Sasebo Burger. Fandom has taken this and made hamburgers one of Musashi's favorite foods.
- Vapor Wear: A recent tweet from her official artist confirms that Musashi's "underwear" is little more than a few bandages from her sarashi. (Link is NSFW)
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade-A with her thigh-highs.
Light Aircraft Carriers (CVL)The smaller cousin of the Fleet or Standard Carrier, the ship class was historically designed to keep up and directly support Fleet Carriers. They have much lower Armor and Hit Point values than their bigger relatives, and have a lower plane capacity as well, but in return they also have far lower maintenance costs, and can use their planes to attack submarines. Like Fleet Carriers however, Light Carriers are helpless at night battles, unless one mounts guns in lieu of aircraft.
- Archer Archetype: Houshou, the Shouhou-class and Ryuuhou share the Samurai Archer style that the Fleet Carriers follow, but each has their own spin.
- Marionette Master: This is how the Chitose-class control their planes once they convert into carriers.
- Onmyodo: Ryuujou and the Hiyou-class are themed around being paper Shikigami users.
- Theme Naming: All of them, save for the Chitose-class* , are named after flying animals, fictional or not, that are considered auspicious. Purpose-built carriers use "龍"(Dragon or "Ryuu"), "鶴"(Crane or "Kaku") and "鳳"(Phoenix or "Hou"). Converted warships (like the Shouhou-class, Ryuuhou and alluded to with the Chitose-class' design) use "鳳"(Phoenix) in particular. Converted merchant-ships (like the Hiyou-class) use "鷹"(Hawk/Falcon or "You") instead of the above.
The Houshou Class
Voiced by: Aya Suzaki
- "Aircraft carrier, Houshou. Though I'm inexperienced, I look forward to your guidance."
- Ascended Meme: As her Team Mom attribute segues very well with the traditional image of a Japanese pub hostess (女将 okami), many fanarts depict her as one. Later, updated idle dialogues reveal that she does run a pub after all.
- Berserk Button: The 4koma shows that calling her a grandmother (or referring to her and Ryuujou's room as feeling like a "rural grandmother's home") does push her tolerance.
- Feminine Women Can Cook: Fitting her image as one of the most motherly characters, she's a capable cook, apparently good enough to run a restaurant.
- Meaningful Name: Phoenix in Flight. She is, after all, the world and the IJN's first commissioned aircraft carrier.
- Proper Tights with a Skirt: While she's actually wearing white thigh-highs, the length of her hakama-skirt makes it look like this.
- Team Mom: Has a warm and motherly tone of voice, and acts like a traditional conscientious housewife.
- Historically, Houshou was the first carrier in service that had been laid down as a carrier (HMS Hermes was laid down before Houshou but completed after her). By the time World War Two rolled around, she was too old and outdated for frontline duty and spent most of the war as a training ship, helping to "raise" the next generation of Japanese naval aviators. After the war, she served as a repatriation transport, bringing home Japanese soldiers from faraway fronts before being scrapped.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Acts like a stereotypical "good wife" of the old days.Houshou: You must be so tired. Should I prepare the bath? Or dinner? Or... hehe, just kidding.
The Ryuujou Class
Voiced by: Rina Hidaka
- "Light aircraft carrier, Ryuujou! Ain't my silhouette distinctive? But, launching carrier planes one after another makes me a proper carrier, ya know! You can count on me!"
- A-Cup Angst: In the 4-koma, and also in fanart. Especially in fanart.
- In the 4-koma, she was against second remodels due to the mistaken impression that it equated to "concentrated chest armor strengthening".
- In Shimakaze's manga, Shimakaze mistook her for a destroyer because of her flat chest, even after she launched aircraft.
- Com Mon: Only applies to experienced players constantly playing 5-4.
- Happy Holidays Dress: Gains custom Christmas-themed sprites for both her first and second remodels during Christmas 2014.
- Kansai Regional Accent: Due to neither her voice actress nor the real life Ryuujou being from the Kansai area however, many fans have come to believe that she's faking it.
- Some had suggested that she could probably "learn" it from one of her previous captains who was actually speaking Kansai.
- Nice Hat: One that is reminiscent of a ship's bow, and also suspiciously looks like that of a fast-food restaurant attendant.
- Onmyodo: She uses paper shikigami for planes, a trait shared with the Hiyou class.
- Petite Pride: In the game only. She seems to be proud of her distinctive silhouettenote . Ironically, Memetic Mutation instead turned this into A-Cup Angst.
- Sorry That I'm Dying/Understatement: If she gets sunk.Ryuujou: I'm... a little tired... sorry...
- Took a Level in Badass: Her second remodel, while it doesn't give her large breasts, gives her what's needed to be the fourth strongest CVL in the game (behind the Chitose-class, Jun'you and Hiyou) with a firepower on par with the Fleet Carriers, a well-needed upgrade to her plane count and an all-around upgrade to her survivability.
The Hiyou Class
Voiced by: Yuka Ootsubo
- "My name is Izumo Ma...no, Hiyou. I'm an aircraft carrier. Pleased to meet you, Admiral!"
- Fanservice Pack: She goes up about at least two sizes after her remodel.
- Foil: She is more serious compared to the Hard-Drinking Party Girl Jun'you.
- Hair Decorations: White ribbons at each side of her hair.
- Hidden Depths: While in canon, she is happy about being a Carrier, in fanon she is shown to have the desire to return to being an ocean liner once the war with the Abyssal Fleet is over.Hiyou: Even though, I was originally supposed to be a commercial cruise ship... Ah well.
- Hime Cut: Her elegant hairstyle matches her personality and serves as a nod to her original role as a pleasure cruiser.
- My Name Is Not Izumo Maru: Was a passenger liner called Izumo Maru (出雲丸), until the navy bought and converted her to a carrier during construction. Which is referred to in her introduction.
Voiced by: Yuka Ootsubo
- "Ex-merchant ship aircraft carrier, Jun'you~! Woohoo!"
- Anime Hair: Her spiky mane of hair is pretty unique, really.
- Fanservice Pack/Hotter and Sexier: Especially compared to her relatively tame base damage sprite, her second remodel's damage sprite is very revealing and shows her supple... cannons. In fact, it's so hot and sexy that the characters written over her bra and panties literally mean "forbidden".
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl: Several of her lines directly reference alcohol and everything else she says has a slurred, drunken lilt. Expanded in other works were she is frequently seen with a bottle and is refereed to (along with Chitose) as one of "the alcoholic carriers". Historical Note Jun'you: Ah~! Admiral, good work♪ Eh? N-no, I haven't been drinking~. To~tally sober.
- When her second remodel comes around, she ends up drinking even more, going from tipsy to drunk enough to see double.
- When players equip their office with the Bar furniture and set Jun'you as their secretary, the bar becomes fully loaded with whiskey, beer, sake, wine and just about everything else nearly 24/7.
- Took a Level in Badass: Her second remodel. In addition to a general stat boost and redistribution of her plane slots, she also gains top of the line Firepower, on par with Ryuujou, the highest Luck of all Light Carriers and the absolute highest Evasion of all Light and Standard carriers, surpassing even Hiryuu Kai Ni.
- Verbal Tic: Hyahaa~!
The Shouhou Class
Voiced by: Risa Taneda
- "Light aircraft carrier Shouhou, at your service. I realize that I'm a little small, but please make a place for me in your fleet!"
- Art Evolution: She received brand new art for the early summer 2015 update. Hard to believe it's the same artist!
- Fashionable Asymmetry: She only wears the right side of her top.
- Hair Decorations: Three small ribbons. See below.
- Hime Cut: Her default hairstyle, accented with small purple ribbons on the side and rear.
- Parasol of Prettiness: Her 2015 rainy season portrait gives her one.
- Sarashi: One that's designed to look like her flight deck.
- Sorry That I'm Dying: If she gets sunk.Shouhou: Is this... it? I'm so sorry...
- Stripperiffic: Until the arrival of Unryuu, she wore the least of any ship in the series. Just half a shirt, a wrap around her breasts, and a miniskirt. Averted with her 2015 rainy season portrait where she finally wears her top correctly in-game.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade A, with thigh-highs that have the same design and color scheme as her bow and Sarashi.
Voiced by: Mana Komatsu
- "I'm Zuihou. I'm a light carrier, but with some experience, I'll be just as good as a regular carrier, just you see!"
- A-Cup Angst: In the 4-koma. Ryuujou is not the only aircraft carrier with an extra flight deck.Shouhou: Well, any straight, flat place would work, really...Fubuki (looking at Zuihou): Flat...Zuihou: Wait... don't look at me!!
- Rare Random Drop: The only light aircraft carrier that is notoriously hard to get.
- Subverted in 5-4, drop regularly.
- Together in Death: If she gets sunk.Zuihou: All hands....abandon ship... I'm... sunk... Will I... see Shouhou... again?
The Chitose Seaplane Carrier / CVL Class
- Awesome but Impractical: As Seaplane Carriers. Although they look awesome in their official art, they have little good use during sorties except in expeditions where they can equip an item that increases the yield of resources.
- In recent patch, they can become quite useful for new admirals who manage to had them, where they able to trigger seaplane spotting in maps where enemy carriers are absent as well as in 1-5, where they are good substitute for dealing against submarines.
- They are also a good substitute for torpedo cruisers. Both sisters can equip midget subs and have rather high torpedo stat. Their second remodel at level 12 comes with 2 midget subs for each. Just give them bombers and double midget subs, upgrade torpedo stat and enjoy your alpha strike with torpedoes and bombers before the battle starts.
- Badass Headband
- Fanservice Pack: Both sisters become much bustier as they're upgraded to their Kai 2 models as Light Carriers, as their damaged sprites reveal them to have become incredibly well-stacked◊ despite their normal sprites having the same dimensions and shape as their previous ones.
- Their Fall 2015 Seasonal artwork takes it to new levels, as their damaged art puts their significant assets front and center while their normal art is very restrained.
- Magikarp Power: The Chitose sisters start as Seaplane Carriers, where their only viable use is to equip seaplanes for aerial reconnaissance and minimal bombing damage in the aerial combat phase. However, they're also the only ships in the game which can be upgraded up to 5 times. Their second upgrade comes equipped with midget submarines that are incredibly useful by virtue of allowing certain ships (namely themselves, low-leveled submarines, and most importantly the torpedo cruisers Kitakami, Ooi and Kiso) to make an initial torpedo attack before the shelling phase. On top of that, their final upgrade at level 50 makes them among the best CVLs in the game.
Voiced by: Wakana Miyakawa
- "I'm Chitose. I'm the the first Japanese seaplane carrier. Nice to meet you!"
- Aloof Big Sister: As shown in the Drama CD. While Chiyoda is following her around like a love-struck puppy, Chitose only reservedly leading her on by the nose.
- Boisterous Bruiser: She takes a lot of pride about her seaplanes.Chitose: I'm proud of my newly developed E12 seaplanes!
- Cool Big Sis: Her lines show that she likes to look after Chiyoda.
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl: Implied in-game, whenever she asks for the Admiral if she wants something to drink. Confirmed in the 4-koma, where she's apparently Jun'you's regular drinking buddy. For some reason this part of her is never mentioned again after she is remodeled.Chitose: Admiral~ you can really knock them back! Here, another drink!
- Oblivious to Love: She cares a lot about Chiyoda, but has no idea of her feelings towards her.Chitose: Ah? Chiyoda, she ran away all angry. I wonder why?
- Proper Tights with a Skirt: Wears black leggings, in contrast to Chiyoda.
Voiced by: Wakana Miyakawa
- "Seaplane carrier Chiyoda. My older sister Chitose isn't bothering you, is she?"
- Big Sister Worship: Most of her lines are about how Chitose is the most awesome thing since midget subs.
- Dreaming of Times Gone By: In one of her lines (when set as the secretary ship in seaplane carrier form) she appears to be having a dream about the battle where she and Chitose were sunk the last time.
- Fragile Flower: She cries a lot during her hourly notifications, sulking about Chitose's closeness to the Admiral.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Towards her sister. She also doesn't like when Chitose spends time with Admiral, but she doesn't seem to have any ill intentions.Chiyoda: The Admiral's so stubborn! You'll be my rival in love from today! Eh, it can't be helped. Here, have an onigiri.
- What Does The Admiral See In Her?: A subversion, since it's the Admiral she's not happy with, rather than Chitose. In her hourly notifications she's asking all the time what the Admiral sees in Chitose and if s/he likes her. Needless to say, Chiyoda is not happy with the Admiral's replies.Chiyoda: Admiral, what do you think of Chitose-nee? You're gonna answer me in an hour!(1 hour later) Sooooo, you like Sis, huh? E-eh!? N-No, you can't!
- Zettai Ryouiki: To contrast with Chitose's tights, Chiyoda wears black thigh-highs instead.
Taigei Class Submarine Tender / Ryuuhou Class CVL
Voiced by: Yui Ogura
- "Good day, I'm Submarine Tender Taigei. I may be inexperienced, but I am glad to be of service.""Carrier Ryuuhou, remodeled from a Submarine Tender. I'll once again try my best as a carrier!"
- Animal Motifs: Obviously, whales. This is reflected on Taigei's apron as a whale print and a whale pin. Even as Ryuuhou, the whale theme is preserved with her hairpin.
- Feminine Women Can Cook: As a mother figure to the submarines, she's shown to be a good cook.
- Gag Boobs: Due to the unusual size of her breasts even when unremodeled, she is often seen Gainaxing with them in fanworks.
- Hair Decorations: Post-refitting, she has a hairband as well as the whale pin that was on her apron, repurposed into a hairclip and later a radar hairclip.
- Power Up Let Down: There are a number of reasons many Admirals choose not to remodel her to Ryuuhou.
- Turning her into a Light Carrier costs a blueprint, which are more wisely spent on battleships or heavy cruisers.
- As a Light Carrier, she has the second fewest number of plane slots and very low stats compared to more readily available light aircraft carriers like Ryuujou, Jun'you and the Chitose sisters.
- As the only Submarine Tender in the game, she is required in order to clear Expedition 39 and allows for better navigation in map 6-1.
- Rare Random Drop: Attempting to get her is known as Whaling in both English and Japanese.Taigei is coming soon!
- Sailor Fuku: Unsurpisingly, she wears one as a Submarine Tender under her apron. She still wears it (but recolored) as a Light Carrier under her coat. This actually makes her the only aircraft carrier in the whole game to wear one.
- Team Mom: To the submarines, which makes sense considering her ship class.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Starts to act like this in her hourly lines when she becomes Ryuuhou:Ryuuhou:"There sure is dust gathered. Give me a hand, Admiral. Here, hold this."
Standard Aircraft Carriers / Armored Aircraft Carriers (CV) *Otherwise known as Fleet Carriers, they are the counterpart of Battleships, in that they have some of the highest Hit Point and Armor values in the game. Unlike the Battleships, who use their massive guns to attack their enemies, Fleet Carriers use a vast swarm of planes to torpedo and divebomb their foes into submission, at the same time claiming air superiority over a battlefield. In return, they have some of the highest Maintenance costs in the game, take a heck of a long time to be repaired even if damaged a little, cannot attack at all if their hit points are 50% or below (except for Armored Aircraft Carrier Taihou, whose restriction is reduced to 25% or below), and are helpless during Night Battles.
- Archer Archetype: All of the Fleet Carriers besides Taihou and the Unryuu-class* are themed around being Samurai Archers, down to being equipped with the tradional yumi and muneate.
- Rare Random Drop: All of them have at least a Gold rarity. And all of them are hard to get (except for Akagi, which you can get by completing a quest, unless you sunk her that is).
- Theme Naming: All but Akagi and Kaga* as well as Amagi and Katsuragi* use the same nomenclature as the Light Carriers. If we go by "during-war" designs, the Unryuu-class, save for Unryuu herself, uses Mountain names as Akagi did and they are of a size between a heavy cruiser and a battleship of the era. The Shinano (yet-to-be-released into the game as of Summer 2015, but already has Alpha Art) is another conversion from a battleship hull (a Yamato-class hull, no less), and has therefore kept her original name.
The Akagi Class
Voiced by: Saki Fujita
- "I'm the aircraft carrier Akagi. If you're forming a mobile carrier squadron, just leave everything to me."
- Big Eater: While all carriers are resource drains (true for any ship class above Light Cruiser really), Akagi's so far the only kanmusu who has this as a character trait in official media. Indeed in the 4-koma, Bauxite runs are nicknamed "Akagi's feeding time". Her infamy for being such a Bauxite hog stems from the fact that, unless an admiral somehow lucks out during construction, she's the first Standard Carrier he or she will get (due to her being a quest reward), and she will VERY quickly use the Bauxite stores (as it's used for maintaining her planes). The Awesome but Impractical nature of carriers only makes the situation worse as she will burn through ammo and steel quickly once she levels up and gets hit. All things considered though, the biggest contribution to this is the fact that early on in game's life, there's a bug with her resupplying, which results in the game treating all the planes needing to be resupplied (normally only ones that are shot down need to) even when only a single plane is shot down. Plane resupply eat bauxite. Akagi in her base form can have maximum of 73 planes. You can guess the rest.
- Canonized in the anime, where Akagi's massive appetite is highlighted constantly whenever there's food involved. While Yamato and Kaga are shown to actually eat more per serving, the difference between them and Akagi is that they eat because they're hungry, Akagi eats because she just likes to eat.
- Last-Second Word Swap: Her idle line.Akagi: Um, Admiral? Is it mealtim-No! Is it time to begin the operation yet!?
- Gets another one in Episode 6 of the Anime:Akagi: First Carrier Group's Akagi, ready to ea-I mean cook!
- Gets another one in Episode 6 of the Anime:
- The Paragon: To Fubuki in the anime. Her mature and elegant manners clash wildly with her also being a Big Eater, of course, though Fubuki doesn't see the latter as a negative at all.
- Single-Issue Psychology: In the 4-koma, anything even remotely sounding like a reference to how she sunk at the Battle of Midway will turn Akagi into a panicked and quivering wreck (which can be righted with bauxite though).
- Sorry That I'm Dying: If she gets sunk.Akagi: My apologies... Please... scuttle me with the torpedoes.
- Those Two Girls: With Kaga, since they form the 1st Carrier Division.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Rice and bauxite. She's usually seen with a bucketful of either.
- Understatement: Her docking line is this for her abnormally long docking time.Akagi (if docked while heavily damaged): It seems like it will take a little time to repair the flight deck.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Wears a white-colored pair.
The Kaga Class
Voiced by: Yuka Iguchi
- "I'm aircraft carrier Kaga. Are you my Admiral?... I have a fairly high expectation of you."
- Big Eater: Not mentioned as prominently as Akagi or Yamato, but there's a shot of her sitting next to Akagi with a very large serving of curry after Akatsuki and her sister ships won the curry competition in episode 6 of the anime. Kaga's serving would be roughly the same size as Akagi's (Akagi had already consumed half of her plate).
- Defrosting Ice Queen: In the anime, for Zuikaku. While she constantly belittles Zuikaku and her sister, in episode 8 she eventually admits that Zuikaku did a good job.
- Hidden Depths: Displayed by her skill at making towel-bunnies, which catches everyone by surprise. Apparently taught to her by Akagi, as a way to pass the time while in the bath.
- I Feel Angry: Always stoic and serious, no matter what.Kaga (if attacked): It outrages me..
- Image Song: Kaga Misaki (Translates as "Cape Kaga"). Requests for this track on the Jukebox had their fee waived during the last week of August 2015. (See Real Life Writes the Plot)
- Legacy Character: Not Kaga herself, but the Helicopter Destroyer Kaga of the JMSDF is often portrayed as one to the in-game Kaga by fan artists. See Real Life Writes the Plot below.
- Literal-Minded: One of her lines has her refuse the admiral's offer of a night battle. Some interpret this as the admiral asking for a certain Unusual Euphemism, which she instead misreads as being asked to deploy at night where carriers are useless.
- My Blood Runs Hot: As revealed in the 4-koma, Kaga apparently has a higher-than-normal body temperature (the real Kaga's exhaust system was unable to get rid of exhaust gases properly, leading to heat building up in the interior of the ship, resulting in overheating of the flight deck and some crew quarters), so much so that all the other carriers think it's possible to use her as a replacement for the kotatsu heater.
- Necessary Drawback: Can field the most planes in the whole game with a massive third slot (98, with a third slot of 46 planes, bigger than what some Light Carriers can field with all of their slots). Thus, she is instrumental when you need to have Air Superiority but as a result, she is also the most expensive carrier to maintain, even more than Big Eater Akagi. Some players also get frustrated when they perceive she is more likely to be heavily damaged, forcing the Admiral to retreat.
- Only Sane Woman: Between Akagi to take care of her Bauxite eating, the Destroyers who are kids and need someone to look after them, and the rest of the classes who are usually out, most fanartists depict her as the one person who takes everything seriously.
- The Stoic: Talks in a calm and even tone.
Kaga: I... displaying emotions.. well.... Even I... right now, I'm extremely happy though...
- Not So Stoic: In the 4koma she gets very excited when seeing the combined monaka and ice cream dish created by Irako and Mamiya. Also shown in her marriage line.
- Real Life Writes the Plot: On August 27, 2015, the second ship of the ''Izumo''-class helicopter destroyer was launched and christened "Kaga". For a limited time until the following maintenance, requests for her image song in the in-game jukebox were free.
- Those Two Girls: With Akagi.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Wears a black pair of thigh-highs.
The Souryuu Class
Voiced by: Sumire Uesaka
- "I'm aircraft carrier Souryuu. Count me on when organizing a carrier task force!"
- Ace Custom: Her second remodel comes with more powerful versions of regular planes, piloted by the Egusa Squadron pilots.
- Divergent Character Evolution: Despite being historically different ship classes, in-game Souryuu and Hiryuu were fairly similar in both starting stats and character designs. Come their second remodels however, the differences between them became very pronounced, with Souryuu lagging behind her contemporary in Firepower, Armor, Evasion and Luck.
- Those Two Girls: With Hiryuu, since they formed the 2nd Carrier Division. And because Hiryuu was built to a modified Souryuu design, to the point that they're sometimes considered sister ships.
- Took a Level in Badass: Like Hiryuu, her 2nd upgrade. She becomes second only behind Hiryuu and likewise, gains her equipment from Midway.
The Hiryuu Class
Voiced by: Sumire Uesaka
- "I'm aircraft carrier Hiryuu. Leave the carrier battles to me, I can fight on against any and all adversity."
- Ace Custom: Her second remodel comes with more powerful versions of regular planes, piloted by the Tomonaga Squadron pilots.
- Born Lucky: Due to the events of Midway. Her second remodel even out-lucks Zuikaku herself.
- Determinator: Refuses to surrender even if she's the last one standing, referencing how she did just that at Midway (being the only one who could even get planes into the air after the first strike left Akagi, Kaga and Souryuu dead in the water).
- Divergent Character Evolution: Hiryuu and Souryuu start out remarkably similar both in-game stats and design, but come their second remodel, Hiryuu more or less leaves her contemporary in the dust, being superior in every way.
- Dying Moment of Awesome: If she gets sunk.Hiryuu: I'm going to sink... Time to have a drink with the moon...
- She's Got Legs: Which get shown off the more she gets damaged. Even official artists admitted her shapely legs were her biggest physical highlight.
- Those Two Girls: With Souryuu, due to Hiryuu being a part of the 2nd Carrier Division and since Hiryuu is based on a modified Souryuu design.
- Took a Level in Badass: Her 2nd Upgrade, which reflects her fighting on Midway. Which give her a sudden boost of stats as well as giving her the Pre-Midway-era equipment.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: It seems the case with her last captain, Tamon Yamaguchi, who she affectionately calls Tamonmaru and keeps asking if he approves.
The Shoukaku Class
- Rare Random Drop: Notoriously hard to get, since Shoukaku was originally an event reward from the Spring 2013 event, and Zuikaku was a random drop from boss nodes from the same event.
- Master of None: The Shoukaku class carriers possess lower consumption and better evasion than Akagi, Kaga and Taihou, and better plane count than all of the other Standard Carriers. However, their slot distribution is considered poor, being spread out evenly as opposed to other carrier classes with more specialized slots and having relatively low Firepower compared to the rest of the Standard Carriers.
- The introduction of Aircraft Proficiency system, in the Summer 2015 event, turns them into Jack-of-All-Stats as the fighter planes become less dependent on plane slots and the bombers became strong enough to cover up their comparatively poor stats, and their evenly distributed plane slots are good at keeping the planes from being completely shot down and losing their ranks, allowing them to claim Air Superiority while carrying one or two bomber squadrons.
- They become the Master of All with their second remodel, since if Shoukaku is of any indication, their overall stats have been improved to be able to give Kaga* and Hiryuu* who are the strongest in their respective field a run for the money while outranging all other aircraft carriers.
Voiced by: Iori Nomizu
- "I'm Shoukaku, the first of the Shoukaku-type carriers. I will try my best with Zuikaku to try and live up to the names of my seniors in the first and second aviation divisions."
- Born Unlucky: In the 4-koma, Shoukaku is such a huge magnet for misfortune that Kaga was horrified to learn she'd have to stay in the same dorm with her. Subverted in the game however, where not only does she have average luck, it caps out to the same level as Zuikaku's, at least at Kai.
- Completely averted with her second remodel, which gives her above average luck.
- Cool Big Sis: Tries to makes sure Zuikaku doesn't bother the Admiral so much.
- Class Change Stat Reset: In her second remodel, she can change between her Standard form and her Armored form. However, since the change is considered a remodel for all practical purposes, not only does it cost a significant amount of resources and development material, the form change also resets her firepower, armor and anti-air stats. Her firepower stat was hit especially hard from this form change since aircraft carriers start with zero firepower, though fortunately her level up bonuses on the hard stats she gains during remodeling mitigates this somewhat.
- Hair Decorations: A red hairband.
- Infinity+1 Sword: As of the September 25 2015 update, her second remodel turns her into the single most powerful aircraft carrier in the game.
- Her standard Kai Ni form has the highest evasion of all Standard Carriers, the second highest plane count in the game at 93 and superb Firepower, Armor and Health.
- Her Armored Kai Ni form has the highest Firepower of all carriers, the second highest Armor and Health of all carriers* , the second highest evasion of all Standard Carriers, as well as gaining the ability to launch planes at moderate damage.
- In both forms, she has the highest Anti-Air of all Standard Carriers and gains Medium range, allowing her to attack earlier in the shelling phase than any other aircraft carriers* .
- Informed Flaw/Irony: Despite her talk of getting injured easily, which would imply having bad luck (as shown in the 4-koma), her luck in the game is average. Not only that, at Kai her luck cap is the same as Zuikaku's at 89, and her evasion is actually higher than Zuikaku's when both are at level 150 (albeit by just 2 points).
- This is partly due to her historical ship being built with better protection compared to the previous carriers, which had helped her to survive the serious damage she had sustained. Additionally, she was the first carrier in the IJN to be installed with an air radar, which gave early warning to her crew to purge the avgas lines in time to avoid the catastrophic fire that had doomed many aircraft carriers during the Battle of the Santa Cruz Islands.
- With her second remodel, she actually gains above average Luck, and has the highest evasion of all Standard Carriers.
- Necessary Drawback: Her second remodel requires a Blueprint and the Prototype Flight Deck Catapult on top of her very high remodel level* , and turns her into the most resource-intensive aircraft carrier in the game.
- Her Armored Kai Ni form, for all of her perks, not only further increases her already high fuel consumption, it also reduce her overall plane count* .
- She also gains the ability to switch between her Standard Carrier and Armored Carrier form. However, the form changing process itself costs a hefty amount of steel and development materials, and resets her modernization bonuses.
- Planning for the Future Before the End: In her marriage line, no less! Based on her being sunk in the Battle of the Philippine Sea, part of the Marianas Campaign.Shoukaku: "Thank you, Admiral. Giving me these planes that I've never seen before, my gratitude is overflowing. Maybe... just maybe... if my wish comes true, after the Marianas, we can stay together..."
- Super Mode: Her alternative Kai Ni form turns her into an Armored Aircraft Carrier, which redistributes her plane slots to be similar to Taihou's and gives her increased durability, as well as making her into the strongest aircraft carrier in the game in terms of raw firepower. Additionally, she also gains the ability to launch planes at moderate damage as well as the unique ability to launch (currently unimplemented) special jet planes.
- Took a Level in Badass: Her second remodel turns her from an aircraft carrier that has a borderline gimmicky even distribution of plane slots with comparatively poor stats compared to Akagi and Kaga into a Master of All aircraft carrier that could give all others a serious run for the money.
- White-Haired Pretty Girl: To contrast with Zuikaku.
Voiced by: Iori Nomizu
- "2nd of the Shoukaku-class aircraft carriers, the younger sister Zuikaku. The lucky carrier, you say? That's not it, I just fight with all my might.. As long as I have planes, I won't lose!"
- A-Cup Angst: In the anime, she is visibly upset when Ooi called out her flight-deck chest.
- Berserk Button: Turkeys, coming from the infamous "Turkey Shoot". She even gets pissed at Hiryuu over the Christmas turkey, and Akizuki also ends up becoming cautious about it.
- Boisterous Bruiser: Loves boasting about her being a lucky ship.Shoukaku: "Yay! Did you see that! That's the true power of the 5th CarDiv! The Goddess of Luck is with me!"
- Meaningful Name: Due to her real life counterpart having survived numerous battles throughout Japan's World War II campaign; moreso as one of those involved in the Attack on Pearl Harbor.
- Third-Person Person: In most of her lines.
The Taihou Class (Armored Aircraft Carrier)
Voiced by: Mamiko Noto
- "Yes... I am Taihou. Thank you for your reception. Admiral... I shall bring victory to you and your task force!"
- Automatic Crossbows: Complete with labeled magazines and magazine holder flight deck.
- Born Unlucky: Has an even lower luck stat than Mutsu. Likely stems from her very short career and the fact that she was sunk by a single torpedo hit
- Necessary Drawback: She can launch planes even at moderate damage, has the second highest firepower, second best plane count and highest anti-air (making her excellent with bombers and fighters) but her evasion is the lowest of the CVs, forcing her to tank hits more often. She also has the highest fuel consumption (which also makes her the most expensive carrier to repair) and above average ammo consumption.
- Single-Issue Psychology: Very concerned about her fuel tank whenever she gets damagedHistorical reason and turkey shooting, both events happening in the Battle of the Philippine Sea.Taihou: "Argh! M-my fuel! Gotta make sure it doesn't ignite!"
- When She Smiles: Her remodeled sprite features a confident and very cute smile.
The Unryuu Class
- Necessary Drawback: The Unryuu-class is the cheapest Remodeled Fleet Carrier in the game, using only slightly more Fuel and Ammo than a Hiyou-class and having offensive stats comparable to Akagi and Kaga. However, they also have the lowest plane count and the lowest durability among the Fleet Carriers. That, and there's the fact that they all need blueprints in order to remodel in the first place.
- Bare Your Midriff: A style practiced by all three members of this class. However, Amagi only does so in her Kai.
- Onmyodo: Like the Hiyou-class and Ryuujou except that their flight deck have been turned into a banner. Unryuu and Amagi are unique among standard carriers for launching their planes in this manner instead of using arrows.
- Sheltered Aristocrat: Because of their lack of historical battle experience, they often comment on how they don't usually go out sorteing or get fitted with equipment. Their dresses are elaborate and pretty impractical for battle, they express happiness and surprise when receiving planes, they get excited when they go into battle along with everyone else. One can say that this is the Unryuu-class's charm.
Voiced by: Ayako Kawasumi
- "Unryuu class aircraft carrier, Unryuu, has arrived. Admiral, it's nice to meet you."
- Aloof Big Sister: A product of her personality, her relationship with her sisters is somewhat distant. Amagi calls her Nee-sama - while this can be chalked up to Amagi's overt politeness, the way Katsuragi favors Amagi more supports the notion that Unryuu's not really open with her affection.
- Animal Motifs: Of course, dragons, which she somewhat resembles. She even takes on the "cloud" part of her name!
- Braids of Action: A single long braid at the back.
- Buxom Is Better: She is visibly busty, emphasised by her skimpy attire.
- Curtains Match the Window: White to Silver-gray hair and eyes
- Magikarp Power: Somewhat averted; despite her un-remodeled version not even coming with planes, maximizing her stats makes quite useful in early maps like World 1 or 2. Once remodeled however, she comes with a strong set of veteran mid to high-tier planes.
- Nonstandard Character Design: Unlike everyone released before her, she isn't some form of archer. In fact, she resembles far more a Final Fantasy character than anything else in the game. This took nearly everybody by surprise; it was expected that she would strongly resemble Souryuu and Hiryuu given that the real-life Unryuu-class utilized Hiryuu's hull design and Souryuu's propulsion system (this might be due to the fact that the artist for Unryuu is the same person who did Ryuujou).
- In the 4koma episode dedicated to her, Fubuki and her gang initially mistook her as a Chinese Hermit until Shigure comes in to explain who and what she actually is. This is how different she looks.
- Wind is Green: Takes on the general green motif associated with dragons in common Japanese mythology.
Voiced by: Yui Horie
- "I'm Amagi, an Unryuu-class Carrier. Thanks for your recruitment, Admiral. Amagi will concentrate!"
- Beauty Mark: Has one under her left eye.
- Feminine Women Can Cook: She's one of the most feminine shipgirl, and her cooking is showing that. In her hourlies, she's cooking for the admiral and offers to teach them. In Katsuragi's hourlies, she got some of practice's result and likes it very much. The way Katsuragi got thoughtful when finding this out and her admiration on Amagi, it seems Katsuragi make this same assumption.
- Flower in Her Hair: Has a red one on her left. See pic.
- Stripperific: Averted with her base form wearing a full body kimono but on remodeling she gains a outfit much like Unryuu's that falls into to this. Her base form's damaged illustration shows that she's wearing the stripperific outfit underneath her kimono, and just discards the kimono when remodeled.
A Wikia Contributor: To wit, Amagi in real life was camouflaged and sealed away in Kure, never given planes. This is represented with her heavy clothing and packed away staff. The remodel represents a major "if" where she may have been allowed to sortie as a combat-capable fully equipped Unryuu-class carrier. Also, her damaged CG is probably a reference to her capsizing.
- An explanation as to why her CG artwork is depicted that way, as an anonymous commenter on the game's Wikia puts it:
- Third-Person Person: Might be competing with Haruna in this regard.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: She got the appearance, the temperament, and the skills. It's no coincidence the only one carrier wearing a furisode would be a classical Japanese beauty.
Voiced by: Ai Kayano
- "I'm Katsuragi, the third ship of the Unryuu-Class Carriers! Eh? 'A floating anti-air gun platform'? I-It's not like that...! What are you saying!"
- A-Cup Angst: Comes up in one of her hourly lines. The Fubuki 4-koma hits her with this even harder when she's compared to the more busty members of the Kagerou-class destroyers.Katsuragi: Huh? Compared with my sister, the part that needs to stick out do not stick out, so I have to eat...? N-now you have done it! Any last words?!
- Buxom Is Better: Averted. Unlike her two sisters, she's flat; but she does compensate with gloriously-shaped hips instead, particularly in her Kai form. The reasoning for her small chest seems to be due to the fact that, unlike Unryuu and Amagi, she used leftover destroyer engines and turbines from the Akizuki-class, while her older sisters used cruisers engines and turbines leftovers from the Mogami class that gave them more horsepower and speed compared to her.
- Born Lucky: Has the highest max luck out of the Unryuu sisters as she was the only completed Unryuu-class carrier to survive the entire war. Despite the fact that she was completed at the very end of the war and, like Amagi, she was never used in active combat.
- Fangirl: Towards Zuikaku. In her 11.00 AM hourly;Katsuragi: Eh? What, it's true though! After all it's Zuikaku-san, the one I'm admiring! Isn't that wonderful...! I also like her camouflage, mine also matches hers!
- Ignored Confession: Played straight, then subverted in one go with her marriage line:Katsuragi: What is it, Admiral? Can you see that I'm quite busy here, because this engine requires a lot of maintenance... what... this is... Thank you! I...
- Kimono Fanservice: She wears a similar one to her sisters which leaves little to the imagination under a full body kimono like Amagi in her base form, although she wears it loose. Perhaps because she was used as a repatriation ship, much like Houshou, to bring Japanese soldiers home.
- Motor Mouth: She talks long and a lot. Her voiceclips are about twice or three times as long from the average voiceclips, sometimes got distracted on what she's talking about.
- Multicolored Hair: Predominantly black with light blue highlights at the tips.
- Onmyodo: With a twist. She is the only one of her sisters who took on archery. While she does have a banner rod like the others, seen in her base form, she discards it to the profit of a fancy bow and paper-shikigami-tipped arrows (With Zig Zag Paper Tassels for tails). More apparent in her Kai form where, apart from the longbow, the "gates" you usually see on Unryuu's and Amagi's banners are actually on the wrist of her bow-holding arm. It's the same power but a different means of launching the planes.
- Running Gag: Being referred to as an Anti-Air Gun Platform. As seen above, her introduction quote says it all.
Katsuragi: Enemy spotted! All AA gun... Wait that's wrong!!! Attack force, covering force, prepare to deploy!
- Got Me Doing It: And much like the "Yamato Hotel" gag, she's prone to this:
- Stop Poking Me: Both versions of her 3rd secretary lines are along these lines, as well has outright implying the Admiral is trying to cop a feel on her and she doesn't like it.Katsuragi(base): Wha... That's not my hanga... What are you doing anyway!? What do you want, you idiot!!Katsuragi(kai): I told you that's not my hangar! How many times did I-uuu... This time I'm not forgiving you!
- Sole Survivor: Out of all of the Unryuu-class. Unryuu and Amagi had sunk during the war (the latter at the last moments, though) and the rest were scrapped before being completed.
- Tsundere: Most of her quotes portray her as this. See examples given above.
Submarines (SS) / Aircraft Carrying Submarines (SSV)The silent stalkers of the deep, Submarines fill a unique niche in Kantai Collection. They have the lowest Attack, Armor, Hit Point, and Evasion values in the game, with only their Torpedo Attack stat worthy of mention. However, they can only be attacked by Destroyers, Light Cruisers, and Light Carriers, all of which must target enemy submarines if there are any, and even then they have a higher-than-normal chance of taking the bare minimum of damage when hit. This makes them ideal for maps that are swarming with Battleships or Standard Carriers... or use against PVP teams that neglected to add an anti-submarine complement to their fleets.Maintenance-wise, Submarines have some of the lowest upkeep costs in the game with regards to refueling, rearming, and repair. Excepting I-168, remodeled subs (and unremodeled I-401) are reclassified as Aircraft Carrying Submarines, which can also launch seaplanes for scouting, but in return double the time required to repair them when damaged.
- All of the Other Reindeer: In the 4-koma, they are disliked by most of the other kanmusu, because of their Real Life counterparts being sunk by submarines.
- Boring but Practical: Using them to farm for fuel in 2-3 is tedious, but it gives a better rate of fuel than expeditions can.
- Memetic Mutation: This is known in most kancolle Fandom circles as Orel Cruising with Goya and Imuya being frequently portrayed lamenting or being annoyed at constantly sent out there Note .
- Power Up Letdown: Goya, Hachi and Iku turn into aircraft carrying submarines (SSV) when remodeled. While this increases their stats across the board (especially the Evasion stat, which is very important for submarines) and gives them a second equipment slot allowing for devastating torpedo cut-in attacks, this also doubles their repair cost and repair time. Combined with the fact that submarines have very limited use in late game maps with restrictive branching rules, it's small wonder some Admirals opt not to remodel them at all.
- The Dreaded: Sometimes, the mere announcement that they're coming is enough to have the other ships running for the hills. It's a Running Gag in the official 4-koma for example.
- Friendly Sniper: They're no doubt friendly (at least those introduced so far anyway), and some of them call themselves snipers, which is hard to dispute.
- Goroawase Number: They apparently chose to do this with their names to make it easier for the Admiral and themselves to pronounce their names.
- Olympic Swimmer: Most portrayals show the submarines as very adept swimmers for obvious reasons.
- Rare Random Drop: Any submarine that becomes readily available becomes this, with the possible exception of event maps (and 1-5). Arpeggio's Iona (available for the Christmas 2013 event), a submarine herself, even lampshaded this:Iona: Are submarines that rare for you, Admiral?
- School Swimsuit: The basic uniform for all submarines. As stated by Goya:Goya: If it's armor, it has to be a school swimsuit! Look, it's efficiently smooth!
- Vague Age: Due to their art style, wide vocal range, and varying bust sizes it's somewhat difficult to pin down Imuya, Goya, Iku and Hachi's exact ages.
- You Are Number Six: Japanese subs of the era all have a number appended after their class character. "I" for 1st class submarines (most of those available for the player) and "Ro" for 2nd class submarines (Ro-500).
Voiced by: Megumi Nakajima
- "I'm I-168. What? It's hard to say? OK, just call me Imuya. Nice to meet you!"
- Anachronism Stew: One of the clearest hints that this game does not actually take place in WW2 times is that she fiddles around with a smartphone during her free time.
- Boisterous Bruiser
- Friendly Sniper: She's friendly, and she calls herself a sniper in her MVP line.Imuya: "I did it! You can rely on Imuya, the sniper of the sea! I can even sink an aircraft carrier!"Historical reason
- Hair Decorations: A white ribbon.
- One-Note Cook: She can only cook curry.
- Parting Words Regret: If she gets sunk.Imuya: It's a pity that I couldn't bask in the sun any more... I've had enough of... the bottom of the sea...
Voiced by: Megumi Nakajima
- "Hello! I-58 here! You can call me Goya. I'm not bitter!"
- Berserk Button: Not exactly berserk but Goya is sure to be angry if you call her "Dechi", as demonstrated by Ro-500's hourly line.
- Born Lucky: 40 luck pre-remodel, 50 post-remodel (the real-life I-58 survived the war; although it shouldn't really count given that she was finished less than one year before the war ended).
- Hair Decorations: A peculiar one consisting of a golden clip holding two sakura petals and two ribbons that appear to be connected to her Hair Antennae.
- Okinawa Regional Accent: Speaks with a heavy Okinawan accent.
- Punny Name: "Goya" is also the Okinawan name for a bitter melon. This is the reason why she says she isn't bitter in her introduction.
- Verbal Tic: "dechi".
Voiced by: Misato
- "Such a great admiral makes me happy. I'm I-19. Yep, calling me Iku is fine!"
- Buxom Is Better: Gains a rapid popularity after her appearance.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Doesn't like it if the Admiral looks away from her or is idle from the computer screen for a while.Iku: Admiral! You're not allowed to look away from Iku!
- Cute Little Fangs: Easy to miss, but she has some.
- Expy: Has a resemblance to Dizzy.
- Friendly Sniper: She calls herself a sniper when being equipped, and she is definitely friendly (if lewdly so). A reference to her extremely-lucky torpedo salvo launched during the Guadalcanal campaign, sinking one aircraft carrier and one destroyer, while crippling a battleship.
- Girlish Pigtails: Looks like it, but she actually has a Tomboyish Ponytail at the back as well.
- The Tease: Most of her dialogue shows her being one. Most likely a play on her name.
- Third-Person Person: Most of the time, except for two lines.
- Verbal Tic: "nano".
Voiced by: Misato
- "Guten Tag ... ah, my mistake... sorry, please call me Hachi."
- Alternate Character Reading: She calls herself Hachi, but it sounds too much like "Acht" (eight in german) so she asks the Admiral to call her Hacchan instead.
- Badass Bookworm: She likes books... that happen to summon torpedoes when she opens them.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: One of her hourly lines.I-8: Admiral is playing KanColle! I am reading! Eheh~
- Gratuitous German: A reference to the real life I-8 being the only submarine during WW2 to successfully make a round trip to Germany.
- Hidden Buxom: Revealed when she suffers Clothing Damage. To be frank, her official art makes it hard to notice that she had a nice pair in the first place.
- Meganekko: Which is strange when one thinks of it, as she spends most of her time submerged.
Voiced by: Mariya Ise
- "Good day, Admiral. I'm I-401, the second ship in the special submarine series. Just call me Shioi."
- Alternate Character Reading: She calls herself I-401 but asks you to just call her Shioi.
- Ambiguously Brown: She fits the "tanned summer girl" stereotype however.
- Companion Cube: She's very fond of her Prototype Seirans.''"The Seirans are my friends after all!"
- The Pollyanna: She is perpetually cheerful.
U-511/Ro-500 "Ro-chan"Go see the Kriegsmarine's shipgirls. She would appear here as a German submarine who came to Japanese hands.
Auxiliary VesselsThe Support Party Members of the fleet* ; in real life large navies had a large Auxiliary Fleet to support and maintain their vessels. They possess little capability to protect themselves, which is reflected in the game with their poor stats.So far, there are 10 Auxiliary Vessels in the game (Three, the Chitose-class and Taigei, are quickly converted in-game to CVL, while another, Akitsu Maru, is an IJA vessel); Akashi, Akitsushima, Hayasui and Mizuho are playable while Mamiya and Irako are usable items. This is unlikely to change any time soon, because auxiliaries rarely do anything interesting in battle.
Mamiya (Food Supply Ship)
Voiced by: Yui Horie
Mamiya is the personification of the Japanese food supply ship Mamiya. A motherly woman who can relieve fatigued ship-girls with her excellent desserts. Is only available as an item card.
- Hair Decorations: A big red ribbon and a red hairclip on her bangs.
- Happy Holidays Dress: Was given a new portrait for the Christmas 2014 event, giving us the opportunity to look at her cleavage at the same time.
- Suddenly Voiced: She had no voice until a certain update in late 2014.
- Team Mom: The impression she gives off, just by her design alone, and her role in-game to deliver supplies and sweets that helps relieve the stress of the ships under the Admiral's command.
Irako (Food Supply Ship)
Voiced by: Yui Horie
Irako is the personification of the Japanese food supply ship Irako. A young lady who can increase the morale of the ship-girls with equally excellent desserts as her senior. Is only available as an item card.
- Hair Decorations: A big red ribbon like Mamiya.
- Happy Holidays Dress: Likewise, she was also given a new portrait for the Christmas 2014 event.
Akashi (Repair ship)
Voiced by: Risa Taneda
- "I'm Repair ship Akashi. If you take a little damage, I can fix you up in the base. Just leave it to me!"
- Ascended Extra: Used to be the Shop Keeper until the game's first anniversary elevated her to a playable ship.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Akashi's post marriage line when you poke her at the main screen."...Admiral, it wouldn't do you good if you don't go for maintenance, you know? I...will offer myself to be at your service, okay?"
- Hair Decorations: A red ribbon, visible at her nape.
- Happy Holidays Dress/Holiday Mode: Like Ooyodo, she gains a traditional furisode for New Years 2015.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall:1800. Do you want to eat out for dinner? Like the Yamato hotel, perhaps? just a joke, really.
- Martial Arts Headband: She gains one once remodeled.
- The Medic / The Engineer: Her role once she is in your fleet, as she can repair/heal your ships. Of course, since she is only support, she has poor combat abilities (which she even admits if you let her attack something) and paper-thin armor which means she is barely able to take a hit.
- Shop Keeper: Her original role, but most players tend to see her as a black market-style scalper, as the entirety of her inventory can only be purchased via DMM points, which can only be gained by paying real-world money.
- When All You Have Is a Hammer: Fixing things is pretty much all she knows how to do, so it's her go to solution whenever she's tasked with anything."Should I repair this?"
- Wrench Wench: She even gets a Secret Shop, Akashi's Improvement Arsenal (hidden behind the normal construction dock button and only accessible is she is the fleet's flagship) in which she can tinker with your equipment and make it stronger.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Black and enclosed in white open-toed "geta"-styled boots.
Akitsushima (Seaplane Tender)
Voiced by: Mikako Komatsu
Akitsushima (another old name referring to "Japan") is the personification of Japanese seaplane tender Akitsushima, released in the Spring 2015 Event as a reward for clearing the sixth and final map.
- Bragging Rights Reward: Since she's more or less ineffective outside of map 6-3, she's mostly viewed as a trophy for successfully clearing all six maps of the Spring 2015 event.
- Joke Character: She is borderline useless in every map outside of 6-3 and expeditions that require seaplane tenders. For reference, while Chitose, Chiyoda and Mizuho can carry midget subs and up to 24 seaplanes, Akitsushima can only carry 3 planes and doesn't even have a torpedo stat. And despite her H8K flying boats in real life having been decent long-range bombers, in-game they're for reconnaissance only.
- Nice Hat: A really small one that looks like the bow of a ship.
- Non-Human Sidekick: Her Kawanishi H8K flying boat "Nishikitaitei-chan",which she refers it as "Taitei-chan".
- This Looks Like a Job for Aquaman: Map 6-3 is designed specifically around her. Its composition requires exactly one Seaplane Tender and has a special resource node that gives more resources if her unique Flying Boat is equipped.
- Even so, most players prefer to use an unremodeled (Seaplane Tender form) Chitose-class or Mizuho because of their superior combat strength.
- She gets it again during the Summer 2015 event, in which she allows for special routing through map E-5 and can get bonus resources using her unique flying boat. Unfortunately, the same route can be achieved with a much stronger fleet and the resources gained from taking her aren't worth bringing her along.
- Verbal Tic: "-kamo", shared with Takanami for some reason.
Mizuho (Seaplane Tender)
Mizuho is the personification of Japanese seaplane carrier Mizuho, introduced in the Summer 2015 Event. She is soft-spoken, and often apologizes to the admiral for being slow.
- Awesome but Impractical: Just like the Chitose-class AV, except that she has better stats and can carry more seaplanes than the other.
- Feminine Women Can Cook
- Miko: Her uniform is stated as this.
- Necessary Drawback: She can carry more seaplane and has a very high Line of Sight. The post-event update further increases her already high LoS, but also reduces her speed to Slow since she was historically equipped with less powerful diesel engines instead of steam turbines.
- Non-Standard Character Design: She is the only playable ship girl drawn by the Abyssals' artist. This is because her Abyssal counterpart is a boss in the event that drops her.
- Yamato Nadeshiko
Hayasui (Replenishment Oiler)
Hayasui is the personification of Japanese fleet oiler Hayasui, introduced in the Summer 2015 Event.Much like the other introduced auxiliaries, she provides a unique function not available to all the other ships: the ability to refuel during mid-sortie, under very specific circumstances. In her case, once the average fuel and ammunition of the fleet drops below 25%, she (temporarily, for that sortie only) resupplies them back to that level. Doing so however consumes a special cash-only item, which as of this edit is not yet available from in-game quests.
- Big Eater: She consumes a huge amount of fuel, on par with a Battleship.
- Hidden Buxom: Seen on her damage art. She doesn't really look flat in her standard art, but her baggy track jacket doesn't accentuate her chest.
- Feminine Women Can Cook
- Master of None: Currently the only shipgirl that can deploy torpedo bombers and seaplanes at the same time. Along with that, she can still attack at Night Battle (using a gun of course) as well as do ASW. However being a support ship, she is not as good at any of those compared to the specialised girls.
- School Sport Uniform: What she wears under her track jacket.
- Unfortunate Name: Her name literally means "speedy sucking", which lead to hundreds of fellatio jokes within minutes of her announcement. Unfortunately, the majority of her fanart followed suit.