A list of characters that appear in Hyouka
Voiced by: Yuuichi NakamuraA 1st year high school student with a strict personal policy to never waste more energy than he needs to. As a result, Houtarou's motto is "If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick." Joining his school's Classic Literature Club at the request of his older sister, Tomoe, Houtarou finds his personal policy in constant danger of being broken due to the influence of the ever-curious, Eru Chitanda.
- Adorkable: Due to his frequent inability to socialize properly, especially around Eru, he comes off like this.
- Awesome by Analysis: What seems like irrelevant coincidences are all solid clues and pieces of information to Oreki.
- Brilliant but Lazy: Oreki has a natural talent in identifying clues and details that would pass unnoticed by other people, and is able to almost effortlessly put the pieces of the puzzle together. However, his top priority is to not waste too much energy.
- But Thou Must: Hates using energy, yet can never say no to Chitanda.
- Chaste Teen: For a teen-aged boy who spends his time doing as little physical work as possible, Oreki is quite conscientious of where his mind wanders when he's around Chitanda, often getting flustered and ashamed when his mind does shifts in an impolite direction.
- Deadpan Snarker: He gets a few jabs in, especially with Mayaka.
- First-Person Smartass: Most of it being narrative snark.
- Dismotivation: He's as lazy as they come.
- The Drag-Along: Despite doing most of the heavy lifting during cases, Houtarou has to be literally dragged into helping by Chitanda.
- Four Philosophy Ensemble: The Apathetic.
- Genre Savvy: Over time, he can anticipate when Chitanda is getting close to saying her Catch Phrase.
- Great Detective: To his dismay, everyone sees him as this.
- Hates Being Touched: Never makes a scene of it, but subtly flinches every time someone gets close to him. Of course, with Satoshi and Chitanda around...
- Heroic BSOD: Goes through a particularly nasty one in Episode 11, when he realizes that his conclusion, while brilliant, was totally wrong to begin with and he was just being manipulated so the movie could end better.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Episode 19 ends in this. He tries to prove to Chitanda that anyone can come up with a crazy theory, but the conclusions he draws from a seemingly innocuous school announcement turn out to be completely correct.
- Humble Hero: Thinks he's nothing special.
- Hyper Awareness: From body language to the simple placement of objects, nothing escapes Oreki's notice.
- Manipulative Bastard: Oreki isn't above blackmailing others if it will save him energy in the long run.
- Once he catches on to Tougaito's smoking, Oreki blackmails him into retrieving the Hyouka anthologies from the chemical safebox and delivering them to the Classics clubroom.
- Oreki deduces the identity of the Jumonji thief, Tanabe, and blackmails him into targeting the Classics Club for publicity, buying thirty copies of Hyouka, and using his position as Executive Committee president to sell Hyouka in the school's online store.
- Odd Couple: With Satoshi.
- Perpetual Frowner: For Oreki, it apparently takes more muscles to smile than to frown.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The blue to everyone else's red.
- Sherlock Scan: Used in Episode 3 to blackmail an upperclassman, Tougaito, who was smoking illegally in a classroom.
- The Stoic: Showing emotion usually consumes too much energy for Houtarou, however...
- Not So Stoic: When he realizes he was being used by Irisu, he briefly displays rage.
- Tarot Motifs: "The Strength"
- Thinking Tic: He has a habit of playing with his forelock when he's thinking particularly hard about a case.
- The Unsmile: If he tries to force a smile it comes out terrifying.Houtarou: "Damn, I can't smile."
- Vitriolic Best Friends: With Mayaka; they are jokingly referred to as "Kaburaya Middle's best couple". Although they constantly aim snark at each other, it's obvious they get along quite well.
- When He Smiles: Episode 19. It's nice.◊
Voiced by: Satomi SatoThe daughter of the wealthy Chitanda clan of farmers. An energetic and inquisitive young lady, Eru serves as the Classic Literature Club's president, as well as the source of much frustration in Oreki's life. Due to her insatiable curiosity, Eru can become quite persistent in her effort to understand things and once something has her attention, it's almost impossible for her to take her mind off it.
- Alcohol Hic/Can't Hold Her Liquor: The entire box of whiskey chocolates she eats in Episode 9 put her out of commission in Episode 10.
- Ambiguous Disorder: It's not certain exactly what's up with her, but she's definitely odd.
- Catch Phrase: "Watashi, ki ni narimasu" (I'm curious).
- Moe Stare: Her eyes practically glow, when she says this.
- Constantly Curious: To Oreki's dismay. Chitanda and her curiosity pretty much drives the plot. Without her, we would just be watching Oreki sit around all day.
- Ditzy Genius: She's a top student (ranked 6th in her year after mid-terms) and has an excellent memory, but has trouble cutting through Oreki's snark and is easily distracted, as shown in Episode 12 of the Kanya Festival arc.
- Four Philosophy Ensemble: The Optimist.
- Genki Girl: She certainly has energy to spare.
- Hime Cut: To match her wealthy unbringing.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: Towards Oreki. One could say Oreki wasn't really alive until Chitanda showed up.
- Nice Girl: A sweet and cuddly bundle of infectious enthusiasm and idealism.
- No Sense of Personal Space: Tends to get really close to people without realizing it once she gets excited.
- Ojou: Being the daughter of an immensely rich and powerful farming clan, though she never expects special treatment.
- Purple Eyes: Her most outstanding trait, identifying her as a main character.
- What Beautiful Eyes: The most common reaction.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: Chitanda is noticeably paler than most of the other characters and is immediately noted by Oreki and Satoshi to be attractive.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: With Oreki.
- Spoiled Sweet: Her family owns an enormous farming business and is loaded, but Chitanda is still an absolute angel.
- Super Senses/The Nose Knows: Her sense of smell and hearing is abnormally sharp. Oreki even compares her to a dog.
- Stupid Sexy Friend: Oreki frequently has to stop himself from being captivated by Chitanda.
- Tarot Motifs: "The Fool".
Voiced by: Daisuke SakaguchiHoutarou's best friend and a fellow member of the Classic Literature Club. Unlike Houtarou, Fukube always tries his best to lead a colorful life, and as such, is also a member of the student council as well as the Handicrafts Club. Dubbing himself a "Database," Fukube has a fantastic memory, often reading things just for the sake of gaining knowledge no matter how trivial.
- Anchored Ship: With Mayaka.
- Beneath the Mask: Actually a Sad Clown carefully hiding his obsession issues.
- Bromantic Foil: The goofy, teasing friend to balance straight-faced Oreki.
- Camp Straight: He's pretty flamboyant and loves getting close to Oreki, but he only has feelings for Mayaka.
- Catch Phrase: "A database can't draw conclusions."
- Cloudcuckoolander: A mild example. He's more of a Keet but he also has some strange hobbies, not to mention his costume choices...
- Four Philosophy Ensemble: The Realist.
- Genre Savvy: He realizes that his lack of talent or motivation prevents him from having "main character" capability, which results in him being a Stepford Smiler.
- Guile Hero: Rounds Oreki out by handling social affairs such as promoting the club's anthology. Satoshi is also very good at keeping the club together, being the one who mediates Oreki and Mayaka, and also encourages Chitanda's curiosity, which in turn forces Oreki to be more involved.
- Keet: He's very energetic and lives each day to the fullest.
- Odd Couple: With Oreki. The two couldn't be any more different, yet maintain a strong friendship.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: Feels this way towards Oreki, believing his Hard Work Hardly Works.
- Photographic Memory: A self proclaimed "Database".
- Real Men Wear Pink: He wears many silly, flamboyant costumes, including a sunflower and Saturn, among other things.
- Playing this trope straighter, his cell phone (as shown in episode 16) is pink.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Oreki's blue.
- Sore Loser: Satoshi tries his best to keep it in check, but he used to be very obsessed with winning in middle school.
- Stepford Smiler: A minor case in that Satoshi has quite a few insecurities, but he forces a smile everyday regardless.
- Sunny Sunflower Disposition: He's friendly and warm, and actually dresses as a sunflower at one point.
- Tarot Motifs: "The Magician"
- Unknown Rival: Satoshi holds a bitter, one-sided rivalry with Houtarou when it comes to detective skills.
Voiced by: Ai KayanoA member of the Classic Literature Club. Ibara is easily put off by Houtarou's snarky attitude, but shows her nice side to Satoshi. She volunteers as an assistant at her school's library and is also an avid reader of manga.
- All the Other Reindeer: Downplayed, some members of the manga research clearly don't like her too much.
- Devoted to You: Towards Satoshi. She has liked Satoshi and only Satoshi since middle school.
- Four Philosophy Ensemble: The Cynic.
- Little Miss Snarker: She's the smallest of her friends and she has plenty of snark to go around, though almost all of it is directed at Oreki.
- Miko: She works as a shrine maiden in her free time.
- Serious Business: Takes manga very seriously.
- Tarot Motifs: "Justice".
- Tsundere: To a certain extent towards Oreki.
- Vitriolic Best Friends: With Oreki, though neither would ever admit it.
- The Watson: Minus the narrator function.
Voiced by: Satsuki YukinoHoutarou's older sister who studies abroad in India. Due to being a former member, it is due to her insistence that Houtarou joins the Classic Literature Club to prevent it from being disbanded. She seems to be quite the intuitive person, hinted at having even greater deduction skills than her brother.
- Awesome by Analysis: She's implied to have even better intuition and analytical abilities than her little brother.
- Chekhov's Gift: A pen that doesn't even work ends up getting Oreki a bag of flour that helps the Classical Club win a cooking competition.
- The Faceless: Usually from the nose and downwards.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Small Role, Big Impact: Everything that happens throughout the series is arguably because of Tomoe, and she doesn't even have a face!
Voiced by: YukanaA friend of Chitanda's and the daughter of a family that runs a general hospital. She is infamous amongst the school for her cold appearance and manipulative, business-minded demeanor.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: Irisu, in stark contrast to Chitanda, shows little emotion more than she needs to.
- Hair Decorations: A white headband.
- Hime Cut
- Lack of Empathy: In Irisu's mind, when there's a job to do, there are no people, only tools.
- Manipulative Bitch
- Odd Friendship: With Chitanda.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: Satoshi describes her as being very attractive.
- Red Baron/Tarot Motifs: "The Empress".
- The Spock: Only the results matter to Irisu. How ethical the means are is hardly worth considering.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: To Oreki. Subverted, she only said that for the sake of using him... maybe...
Voiced by: Ryōtarō OkiayuPresident of the News Poster Club. His parents are influential members in the Educational field.
- Crazy-Prepared: Takes extensive measures to keep his little secret secret.
- Expy: Bears resemblance to Itsuki Koizumi. Considering that both series are animated by Kyoto Animation....
- Hot Scoop
- Hurricane of Excuses
- Keeping Secrets Sucks: He's a smoker, but is underaged and has his family's reputation to think of.
Voiced by: Jun FukuyamaA member of the Student Council and a manga artist.
- Gentleman and a Scholar
- Technician vs. Performer: Tanabe's technician to Muneyoshi's performer in terms of manga drawing.
- Theme Serial Thief
Voiced by: Toshiyuki MorikawaPresident of the Student Council.
- Brilliant but Lazy: A talented artist who illustrated A Corpse By Evening, though only for 'fun'.
- Nice Guy: Seems to be this.
- Student Council President
- Technician vs. Performer: The performer to Tanabe's technician.
Voiced by: Naomi ShindoThe president of the Manga Club.
Voiced by: Saori HayamiThe sole member of the Fortune Telling Club.
- Beauty Mark: Has one underneath her eye◊.
- Fortune Teller: Part of the Fortune Telling Club, even wears a black cloak in Episode 13.
- Hair Decorations: A butterfly-shaped hairclip. She also wears a purple barrette at school.
- Miko: During the New Year's Eve episode.
- Nice Girl
Voiced by: Mariya IseOne of the detectives who presented a theory to the Classics Club, and a member of the Astronomy Club.
Voiced by: Masumi AsanoA member of the Manga Club.