A list of characters that appear in Hyouka
A 1st year high school student with a strict personal policy to never waste more energy than he needs to. As a result, Houtarou's motto is "If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick." Joining his school's Classic Literature Club at the request of his older sister, Tomoe, Houtarou finds his personal policy in constant danger of being broken due to the influence of the ever-curious, Eru Chitanda.
The daughter of the wealthy Chitanda clan of farmers. An energetic and inquisitive young lady, Eru serves as the Classic Literature Club's president, as well as the source of much frustration in Oreki's life. Due to her insatiable curiosity, Eru can become quite persistent in her effort to understand things and once something has her attention, it's almost impossible for her to take her mind off it.
- Alcohol Hic/Can't Hold Her Liquor: The entire box of whiskey chocolates she eats in Episode 9 put her out of commission in Episode 10.
- Ambiguous Disorder: It's not certain exactly what's up with her, but she's definitely odd.
- Catch Phrase: "Watashi, ki ni narimasu" (I'm curious).
- Moe Stare: Her eyes practically glow, when she says this.
- Constantly Curious: To Oreki's dismay. Chitanda and her curiosity pretty much drives the plot. Without her, we would just be watching Oreki sit around all day.
- Ditzy Genius: She's a top student (ranked 6th in her year after mid-terms) and has an excellent memory, but has trouble cutting through Oreki's snark and is easily distracted, as shown in Episode 12 of the Kanya Festival arc.
- Four Philosophy Ensemble: The Optimist.
- Genki Girl: She certainly has energy to spare.
- Hime Cut: To match her wealthy unbringing.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: Towards Oreki. One could say Oreki wasn't really alive until Chitanda showed up.
- Nice Girl: A sweet and cuddly bundle of infectious enthusiasm and idealism.
- No Sense of Personal Space: Tends to get really close to people without realizing it once she gets excited.
- Ojou: Being the daughter of an immensely rich and powerful farming clan, though she never expects special treatment.
- Purple Eyes: Her most outstanding trait, identifying her as a main character.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: Chitanda is noticeably paler than most of the other characters and is immediately noted by Oreki and Satoshi to be attractive.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: With Oreki.
- Spoiled Sweet: Her family owns an enormous farming business and is loaded, but Chitanda is still an absolute angel.
- Super Senses/The Nose Knows: Her sense of smell and hearing is abnormally sharp. Oreki even compares her to a dog.
- Stupid Sexy Friend: Oreki frequently has to stop himself from being captivated by Chitanda.
- Tarot Motifs: "The Fool".
Houtarou's best friend and a fellow member of the Classic Literature Club. Unlike Houtarou, Fukube always tries his best to lead a colorful life, and as such, is also a member of the student council as well as the Handicrafts Club. Dubbing himself a "Database," Fukube has a fantastic memory, often reading things just for the sake of gaining knowledge no matter how trivial.
- Anchored Ship: With Mayaka.
- Beneath the Mask: Actually a Sad Clown carefully hiding his obsession issues.
- Bromantic Foil: The goofy, teasing friend to balance straight-faced Oreki.
- Camp Straight: He's pretty flamboyant and loves getting close to Oreki, but he only has feelings for Mayaka.
- Catch Phrase: "A database can't draw conclusions."
- Cloudcuckoolander: A mild example. He's more of a Keet but he also has some strange hobbies, not to mention his costume choices...
- Four Philosophy Ensemble: The Realist.
- Genre Savvy: He realizes that his lack of talent or motivation prevents him from having "main character" capability, which results in him being a Stepford Smiler.
- Guile Hero: Rounds Oreki out by handling social affairs such as promoting the club's anthology. Satoshi is also very good at keeping the club together, being the one who mediates Oreki and Mayaka, and also encourages Chitanda's curiosity, which in turn forces Oreki to be more involved.
- Keet: He's very energetic and lives each day to the fullest.
- Odd Couple: With Oreki. The two couldn't be any more different, yet maintain a strong friendship.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: Feels this way towards Oreki, believing his Hard Work Hardly Works.
- Photographic Memory: A self proclaimed "Database".
- Real Men Wear Pink: He wears many silly, flamboyant costumes, including a sunflower and Saturn, among other things.
- Playing this trope straighter, his cell phone (as shown in episode 16) is pink.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Oreki's blue.
- Sore Loser: Satoshi tries his best to keep it in check, but he used to be very obsessed with winning in middle school.
- Stepford Smiler: A minor case in that Satoshi has quite a few insecurities, but he forces a smile everyday regardless.
- Sunny Sunflower Disposition: He's friendly and warm, and actually dresses as a sunflower at one point.
- Tarot Motifs: "The Magician"
- Unknown Rival: Satoshi holds a bitter, one-sided rivalry with Houtarou when it comes to detective skills.
A member of the Classic Literature Club. Ibara is easily put off by Houtarou's snarky attitude, but shows her nice side to Satoshi. She volunteers as an assistant at her school's library and is also an avid reader of manga.
Houtarou's older sister who studies abroad in India. Due to being a former member, it is due to her insistence that Houtarou joins the Classic Literature Club to prevent it from being disbanded. She seems to be quite the intuitive person, hinted at having even greater deduction skills than her brother.
- Awesome by Analysis: She's implied to have even better intuition and analytical abilities than her little brother.
- Chekhov's Gift: A pen that doesn't even work ends up getting Oreki a bag of flour that helps the Classical Club win a cooking competition.
- The Faceless: Usually from the nose and downwards.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Small Role, Big Impact: Everything that happens throughout the series is arguably because of Tomoe, and she doesn't even have a face!
A friend of Chitanda's and the daughter of a family that runs a general hospital. She is infamous amongst the school for her cold appearance and manipulative, business-minded demeanor.
President of the News Poster Club. His parents are influential members in the Educational field.
A member of the Student Council and a manga artist.
President of the Student Council.
The president of the Manga Club.
The sole member of the Fortune Telling Club.
One of the detectives who presented a theory to the Classics Club, and a member of the Astronomy Club.
A member of the Manga Club.