open/close all foldersFor the characters from third season, see here.
Kouga Saejima (GARO)
Portrayed by: Ryosei KonishiKnown as the "Golden Knight", Kouga is a renowned Makai Knight who inherited the title from his father, Taiga Saejima. His weapon of choice is a longsword. While he is coldly dedicated to his mission at the start of the series, even heartlessly using Kaoru as bait for Horrors, he slowly begins to care for her without ever losing his stoic personality.
- Action Hero
- Badass: Oh, HELL YES.
- BFS: His powerful sword is already big to begin with. Then when he rides his horse, Gouten he can transform it into a insanely huge version of it, ''Zankantou-style'' to take down Horrors the size of houses.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: has shades of this in Makai Senki after he is given the Seal of Destruction and given a limited time to live. He is doing more domestic activities which he would not have been interested in during the first series, mainly revolving around spending time Kaoru.
- He does draw the line at bad acting though.
- Jerkass —> Jerk with a Heart of Gold. He softens considerably over the series.
- Lonely Rich Kid: He's the Makai equivalent of an aristocrat but he grew up with nearly no friends (except Jabi and his butler) and spent most of his time as a child training to slay Horrors.
- As a child, he did manage to make friends at a Makai Knight training camp. It...did not end well.
- Married to the Job: At the start of the series, but he starts getting better about this as the series goes on.
- No Social Skills: Dear god yes.
- Noble Male, Roguish Male: The Noble to Rei's Roguish Male
- Power Limiter: He gets hit with the Brand of Destruction in Makai Senki, which weakens him every time his armour is summoned.
- Sacrificed Basic Skill for Awesome Training: Kouga could kick the ass of any demon that's thrown at him... but do not ask him to coherently express his feelings, question him on appropriate social interaction, or play poker.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Money!: Kouga is ridiculously wealthy and won't hesitate to use his money in pursuit of his mission. When confronting a Horror that has possessed an actor taking the lead role in a play, he ensures a one-on-one showdown by buying all the tickets.
- Single-Target Sexuality: Even though he has two incredibly sexy Makai Priests who have shown some sort of interest in him and in a series where there is fanservice abound, Kaoru is the only person Kouga has shown any romantic attraction to. In the short time they were together, he fell for her, and stayed in love with only her even during the times when they were seperated.
- Their son, Raiga, is the protagonist of his own series.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Even though he loves Kaoru, he still hasn't quite figured out the mechanics of expressing that affection in way that doesn't make him look like a jerk or incredibly awkward.
- The Stoic: At first. Kouga does loosen up as time passes, something which Rei commented on in Makai Senki.
- Not So Stoic: His composure notably slips whenever anyone he cares about, like Kaoru, Gonza or Rei, is threatened.
- Trauma Conga Line: Where do we start? As a child, Kouga not only witnesses the traumatic death of his father but also the deaths of his childhood Makai-training camp friends whom he witnessed GET EATEN right before his eyes! As an adult, he is isolated, emotionally repressed, socially awkward, and ruthlessly devoted to a frankly horrific job that will probably end up getting him killed at a young age. Despite all this, he meets the love of his life under horrible circumstances in which she is cursed to die in a hundred days. He literally goes through hell to retrieve her cure, they get a breather, and then they find out that she's actually a gate for the ultimate Horror to pass through. Her trusted mentor is actually the Big Bad who killed his father and who invokes an even Bigger Bad to possess her body. While this is happening, Kouga is getting his ass kicked by Barago, Kodama (during which he nearly became a soulless monster), GULM, Messiah!Kaoru, Messiah, and then Barago's armour KIBA. Oh, and then his magic talking ring dies. And then, the girl he did all of it for leaves for Italy. Yeah, she comes back but still.
- Come in the second season, he is the one cursed to die this time around, and just as he thinks that's about to be resolved, he gets almost permanently absorbed by the corpse of the demon Ganon to help create Idea, a monstrous robotic weapon designed by a man who wishes him and every other Makai Knight dead simply for being "not good enough" at fighting the Horrors.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Kouga using Kaoru as Horror bait in the first series and neglecting to tell her that she doesn't have very long to live. Even Rei, who at the time was the resident Jerkass with a Revenge Before Reason mentality calls him out on it.
Rei Suzumura (ZERO)
Portrayed by: Ray FujitaKnown as the "Silver Fang", Rei is a Makai Knight who shirked his responsibilities to pursue a personal vendetta against Kouga, who he believes murdered his lover. He wields two swords that can combine into a single weapon when in his armour. Though he acts friendly and familiar, his true personality is cold and focused.
- Acquired Poison Immunity
- Badass: Definitely
- Bifurcated Weapon: The two blades he uses can combine into one dual bladed weapon. Can be used as a Boomerang too.
- Big Eater: Mostly of sweets.
- Dual Wielding: Wields two powerful short swords skillfully in combat.
- Enigmatic Minion: At first, but he mellows out by the end of the series once the misunderstandings are cleared up.
- Heel–Face Turn: While not evil persay, he starts as an enemy due to a major misunderstanding and the manipulation of the Eastern Watchdogs. After the truth comes to light, he becomes a staunch ally.
- Ineffectual Loner: May have something to do with his Dark and Troubled Past, he mostly try his best to shun contact from anyone after battle. Even if they are friends. Still, he will never hesitate to lend a helping hand when the time comes.
- Jerkass —> Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- The Lancer
- Meaningful Rename: Formerly Ginga Suzumura, he changed his name to Reinote after the deaths of his lover and adoptive father.
- The Mentor: To Raiga in his childhood.
- My Hero Zero
- Noble Male, Roguish Male: The Roguish Male to Kouga's Noble Male
- Parental Substitute: He was the one who trained Raiga in his childhood after Kouga and Kaoru disappeared.
- Perpetual Smiler: And when he stops smiling, it's asskicking time.
- Reverse Grip
- The Rival: At first.
- Friendly Rival: What he and Kouga end up as in the end. GARO and the Wailing Dragon's penultimate scene has the two friends joyfully reuniting, and then engaging in a formal duel to settle once for all who's best. It's not shown who won.
Portrayed by: Mika HijiiWhen she is introduced, she is a struggling young artist whose life becomes entangled with Kouga's after she is caught in the middle of a fight between Kouga and a Horror. In the ensuing battle, she is splashed with the monster's blood and afterwards cursed to die in a hundred days. Kouga initially decides to use her as Horror bait but as they grow closer, he ends up falling for her and is determined to protect her at all costs.
- Apocalypse Maiden: Kaoru turns out to be one at the end of the first series.
- Break the Cutie
- Dark Action Girl: Whenever she becomes possessed by Messiah.
- Distressed Damsel: In the first series, hardly an episode passes where nothing is trying to eat/kill/rape/abduct Kaoru.
- The Dulcinea Effect: Subverted at first. Kouga is a knight and Kaoru is a Distressed Damsel but it isn't romantic interest that has him sticking around after he rescues her but because he's using her as a lure for more Horrors. Gradually played straight since he ends up falling in love with her and becomes increasingly unwilling to put her in danger.
- Girl Next Door
- Hero's Muse: Even when she's not around, Kaoru is never far from Kouga's thoughts and usually serves as inspiration to him in his fight against Horrors.
- Light Feminine and Dark Feminine: She's the cute, bubbly, pastel-colored Girl Next Door in the Garo universe and stands in stark contrast to the sexual and corrupt female Horrors and darkly beautiful Makai Priestesses like Jabi and Rekka.
- Hotter and Sexier: Whenever she is possessed by Messiah.
- Lady and Knight: With a twist where the Lady (Kaoru) thinks that her Knight (Kouga) wants to protect her from the demons that keep trying to eat her. In reality, he was using her to attract more demons in order to kill them. They play this trope straight once he falls in love with her.
- Lethal Chef: Oh yes. Very much so. Gonza and Kouga treat Kaoru's cooking as a great emergency.
- Morality Pet: For both Kouga and Rei, mostly in the first series.
- Nice Girl
- Plucky Girl: Gets attacked by Horrors on a daily basis and still manages to stay rather upbeat.
- The Pollyanna: Kaoru is almost aggressively determined to be this no matter what hardship she goes through since she realizes that she has no control when it comes to Makai matters and the best she can do is put up a facade of unwavering optimism. Even after she finds out that Kouga is dying she refuses to allow anyone see her despair and only breaks down once she is alone.
- Trauma Conga Line: Starts off the series as a struggling artist and then she gets splashed by demon blood and is condemned to die in a hundred days, is attacked on what almost appears to be a daily basis by demons and occasionally Rei, finds out the guy she was falling in love with not only knew that she had very little time to live and was keeping it a secret but actually kept her alive for the sole purpose of using her as monster bait, betrayed by Rei in order to get to Kouga, and then narrowly escaped her death sentence at the last second. But just when things were starting to look up, she finds out her mentor had actually manipulated her into becoming the Big Bad, she gets kidnapped once again, becomes possessed by the Mother of all Horrors and is forced to fight her friends. Of course, everything worked out for her in the end. Of the first series that is. Flash forward to the second series and this time around her boyfriend is the one that's dying. Girl cannot get a break.
- Unwitting Pawn: She wasn't simply being used by Barago, who manipulated her ever since she was a child to become Messiah's host but also by Kouga, who initially only spared her life to use her as Horror bait. Although the latter later came to regret his actions. The former as well but for very different reasons.
Portrayed by: Yukijiro HotaruThe loyal butler to the Saejima family, Gonza has faithfully served Taiga for years, and takes care of Kouga after the latter dies. He is less of a servant, and more of an uncle of sorts to Kouga. While he cannot fight at all, he does his best to take care of the house and Kouga's needs, supporting him at home so he can fight horrors.
- Achievements in Ignorance: Once managed to pick up a Makai Sword to defend Kouga. The moment he was reminded it was a Makai Sword (which only Makai Knights can wield after Training from Hell), down fell the sword.
- Battle Butler: Averted. The one time Gonza tried, it really didn't work out for him.
- Narrator: Introduces the stories for each episode of Makai Retsuden.
- Parental Substitute: To Kouga. Gonza in many ways fulfils the role of a surrogate father of sorts to Kouga, giving him gentle advice. And while Kouga may not always agree with Gonza, he will listen.
- After Kouga and Kaoru disappear before Makai no Hana, he fulfills this role again for Raiga.
- Shipper on Deck: Is very supportive and encouraging of Kouga and Kaoru's relationship.
Portrayed by: Hironobu Kageyama (voice)A Madou Ring usually inherited by the Golden Knight, GARO.
- Animate Inanimate Object
- Sometimes a Snarky Inanimate Object
- Mentor Archetype: Serves as this to anyone who dons the Garo Armor.
Portrayed by: Ai Orikasa (voice)A Madou tool owned by Rei.
Characters Introduced in GARO (TV)
Portrayed by: Masaki KyomotoA psychologist who acts as Kaoru's confident and emotional support. He is secretly BARAGO, having taken the guise of Karune Ryuzaki to keep a close watch on his Apocalypse Maiden.
Portrayed by: Yasue SatoA skilled Makai Priest, and childhood friend to Kouga. She has a sharp tongue and a no-nonsense attitude. She also has a small crush on Kouga.
- Action Girl
- Back from the Dead: She is resurrected during Beast of the Midnight Sun thanks to Kouga.
- Badass: She's no Makai Knight, but she can kick serious amounts of ass with her skills. She even manages to duel the Big Bad of Makai Senki to a standstill, although she is visibly exhausted afterwards.
- Bash Sisters: With Rekka, after Makai Senki and throughout The Tougen Flute.
- Black Magician Girl
- Cool Big Sis: Meets Rekka in Makai Senki, and immediately became this to her. The Tougen Flute shows that she's become Rekka's mentor and partner.
- Sacrificial Lion: Is the first member of the heroes to be killed in the first series. Luckily, she gets better.
- Stuffed into the Fridge: Ends up getting killed, but does get better.
- Unlucky Childhood Friend
The Eastern Watchdogs
Portrayed and Voiced by: Keaki Watanabe and Fumiko Inoue (Keira), Anri Okamoto and Michiko Kawana (Beru), Yukina Kashiwa and Akemi Sato (Rose)The three young girls who act as Kouga's superiors in the first series of GARO. Named Keira, Beru and Rose, they are ancient Makai Priestesses who almost seem to share a single mind. As Watchdogs, their main role is to give execution orders to Kouga when a powerful Horror is detected, and perform the Makai Purification ritual on Kouga's sword. They are secretly working to revive Messiah.
- Creepy Child
- Dragon with an Agenda: Seems to be The Dragon to BARAGO, but is actually the one manipulating him.
- Finishing Each Other's Sentences
- Fusion Dance: In the final act of GARO, all three of them merge their spirits into the host body of a young woman, calling the resulting form "GULM".
- Man Behind the Man
- Really 700 Years Old
Portrayed by: Mark MusashiThe mute butler who serves the Eastern Watchdogs.
- Battle Butler- he can go toe to toe with Kouga and Rei in terms of combat prowess.
Portrayed by: Kenichi Kobayashi, Voiced by: Mizuho Yoshida (KIBA Gaiden)The main antagonist of the first series of GARO. BARAGO is known as the Black Fang, a fallen Makai Knight who was granted the forbidden power of the Demon Knight KIBA. This allowed him to surpass the 99.9 second time limit on his armour, and to consume Horrors to increase his own powers. His goal is to achieve ultimate power by absorbing one thousand Horrors, with the final one being the Ultimate Horror, Messiah.
- Badass: Sure, he is evil but that doesn't stop him from being one.
- Big Bad
- Evil Counterpart: Of GARO. Hell, he even uses the same fighting style. Probably because they were both taught by the same person: Kouga's father.
- Evil Is Not a Toy: Bet you never thought you were gonna end up being eaten by the mother of all Horrors you just resurrected yourself, eh BARAGO??
- Evil Makes You Monstrous: Played straight. As BARAGO absorbs more Horrors, his armour becomes dark and twisted.
- Fallen Hero
- Something About a Rose - in one scene in KIBA, he has a rose appear in one of his attacks. Given that his name is Barago, this could be Just for Pun.
- Unwitting Pawn: To Messiah, who played him like a fiddle to resurrect herself and then devoured him without a second thought.
MessiahThe Ultimate Horror. Despite all her power, she is trapped in the Makai and can only enter the Human Realm if summoned.
Characters Introduced in Movies/Specials
Tsubasa Yamagatana (DAN)
Portrayed by: Shouma YamamotoBy the book Makai Knight. Known as the Midnight Sun Knight. Believing emotions would only get in the way on the job, at first at least. Big brother to Rin.
- Armor-Piercing Question: Gets a deep one from Kouga about his belief that he needs to discard his emotions in order to become strong.Kouga: Makai Knights fight for those who must be protected. Tsubasa... Who is the one you must protect?Tsubasa: Who...Kouga: ...must you protect? It's the person you feel more for than anyone else. Remembering that face... Someone you'd give your life in battle to protect. Rin loves you. That's why she wanted to protect you. That's why she faced Legules. Isn't Rin the one you should be protecting?!
- Badass: Comes with the job.
- Big Brother Instinct: To Rin.
- Blade on a Stick: Wields a makai staff/spear combo weapon in combat.
- By-the-Book Cop: Believing emotions would only get in his way in his job/battles. He gets better after getting called out by both Kouga & Rei when his little sister was in danger.
- Jerkass —> Jerk with a Heart of Gold
Portrayed by: Yuzumi Shibamoto
- Did You Just Flip Off Cthulhu?: Tried standing against Legules when he was about to get to the Phosphorus Arrow. This girl, for the record, was an apprentice.
- Name's the Same: Was named after Rin Saejima, Kouga's mother and a fellow Makai Priest.
Portrayed by: Mary MatsuyamaA hot-headed Makai Priest. She resents the fact that she was denied the opportunity to become a Makai Knight because of her gender, and trained herself to actively hunt Horrors on her own. However, her lack of discipline and furious determination often results in civilian casualties.
- Action Girl
- Bash Sisters: Teams up with Jabi after the events of Makai Senki, and throughout The Tougen Flute.
- Black Magician Girl
- I Did What I Had to Do: How she justifies the collateral damage.
Portrayed by: Leah DizonA former Makai Guide who was betrayed and fatally wounded by two Makai Knights while looking for the corpse of Ganon. She is rescued by Barago, who was also looking for Ganon's corpse, and vows to serve him.
Characters Introduced in ZERO: Black Blood
Portrayed by: Riria
- Boyish Short Hair
- Disappeared Dad: Her father was killed by Ring, and her mother fell off a bridge and disappeared before the events of the movie.
Portrayed by: Naoki Takeshi
- The Alcoholic: Always seen drinking. He's mostly functional instead of drunk, but it's a fine line between the two.
- Improbable Weapon User: Fights with an umbrella rather than the brush that most Makai Priests use.
Portrayed by: Thane Camus
- Affably Evil: Always polite and charming to everyone he sees, even if he's going to sacrifice them to Horrors.
- Man in White: That nice suit of his is white. This extends to his Horror form; Ring is the only Horror whose appearance is white, in contrast all other Horrors, which are black.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: Always seen wearing a three piece suit.
Characters Introduced in Makai Senki
Portrayed by: Ozuno NakamuraA genius Makai Priest who becomes the support for Kouga in Makai Senki. He is responsible for a number of inventions, such as the mechanical Gouryuu that can allow Makai Priests to seal weaker Horrors without the need for a Makai Knight. Despite his achievements, he conducts himself with great humility and poise. He is secretly a Makai Knight as well, whose title is RŌDO, the Flash Knight.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: He doesn't act like an idiot but his shyness makes some people around him think of him less. Especially some of his Jerkass Makai Priest superiors. That's why they tend to forget that he's very dangerous in combat.
- Not to mention that he's secretly a skilled swordsman & a powerful Makai Knight.
- Hidden Depths: Revealed to be a skilled swordsman despite being a Makai Priest. He can also transform into a Makai Knight. His title is RŌDO, the Flash Knight
- Gadgeteer Genius
- The Smart Guy
Portrayed by: Yuriko HishimiA High Priestess of the Senate who served during Kouga's time. She is the one giving him orders during the events of Makai Senki.
Wataru Shijima (BARON)
Portrayed by: Kenji MatsudaA Drill Sergeant Nasty instructor to Makai Knights in training. His title is the Thunder Knight.
- Badass: Notice a pattern here?
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: ''Famed'' in the Makai community as a relentless & demanding instructor of troubled Makai Knights in training. But he does genuinely cares about his charges/students. He was also Kouga's instructor when he was young.
- Enemy Within: The effect of the Mark of Destruction.
- Face–Heel Turn: Against his will, due to the effects of the Brand of Destruction.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Katanas Are Just Better: Wields a Katana made of Soul Metal in combat.
The Man in the Red Mask (Sigma Fudou)
Portrayed by: Ozuno NakamuraThe main antagonist of Makai Senki. The Man In The Red Mask is a rogue Makai Priest who is attempting to destroy the Makai Knights, believing that they are unneeded and that Makai Priests should be solely responsible for dealing with Horrors. To this end, he brands as many Makai Knights as possible with the Brand of Destruction, develops anti-Horror technology such as humanoid Gouryuu, and attempts to sway Makai Priests to his side. In addition to his incredible magical prowess and intellect, he is also a skilled swordsman and fighter. His true identity is Sigma Fudou, Leo's identical twin brother.
- Big Bad: Of Makai Senki.
- The Evil Genius
- Evil Is Not a Toy: He gets absorbed by Ganon after drawing from her power one too many times. Y'know, GARO villains really should be forced to watch previous series and take notes.
- Evil Sounds Deep
- Evil Twin: Can summon a dark version of the GARO armour, known as JAAKU. There's a more literal example, in him being the twin brother of Leo.
- It seems that it is not limited to the GARO armour as he briefly copied Leo's armor in Episode 20.
- Hoist by His Own Petard
- Human Resources: He has no issue with killing and experimenting on humans to achieve his goals. His familiar Gigi was originally a human woman whom he murdered, and he plans to fuel Edea with the lives of "sinful" humans.
- Mask Power
- Mecha-Mooks: His Humanoid-Type Kouryu.
- Red Right Hand
- Revenge Before Reason
- The Unfavorite: The reason for his Start of Darkness, after Leo was chosen to inherit the title of RŌDO despite Sigma's superiority in combat and magic.
- Utopia Justifies the Means: He wishes to sacrifice "sinful" humans to Edea as its fuel. If anything, he sees it as a benefit, ridding the world of "pointless" humans while protecting the rest.
- Weapon of Mass Destruction: Edea.
Portrayed by: Shinnosuke IkehataA powerful Horror known as the "Fang of Messiah". Its corpse holds great power and is used by The Man In The Red Mask as the lynchpin of his plan.
- Crossdresser: The actor playing Ganon is a real life crossdresser.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Ganon's existence was hinted at in some of the OAV/Specials.
- Eldritch Abomination
- Humanoid Abomination: Like Messiah, Ganon's "true" form is that of a human woman.
- Man Behind the Man: Subverted. Unlike Messiah, Ganon had no grand scheme to resurrect herself and did nothing to manipulate Sigma; she was dead after all. It just so happened that Sigma's malice was enough to trigger a resurrection, and once awakened Ganon did what any Horror would do.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Not so much "sealed" as "dead". Until Sigma's malice powers her resurrection.
Portayed by: Kohei OtomoA terminally ill samurai in search of a worthy opponent to end his life in honorable battle. After killing another samurai that was possessed by a Horror, he strikes a deal with the Horror in order to cure him of his disease. However, the healing process takes up several hundred years, causing him to awake in modern day Japan, where he encounters Rei fighting a Horror and brands him as his worthy opponent.
- Anti-Villain: He is only a villain by being too fixated on fighting Rei to the death. But despite being a villain, he possesses many heroic and honorable qualities. For example, when the Horror possessing him tells him to kill innocent people, so it can feed in their blood and thus sustain Juuzou's eternal life, Juuzou resists this urge and cuts open his own body, telling the horror to feed on his own blood, as killing innocents is not the honorable thing to do.
- Badass Normal: Probably the greatest of the series. While a Makai Knight usually needs to employ exceptional fighting skills gained by receiving Training from Hell at a young age and even magic equipment to defeat a horror, Juuzou manages to defeat one with just his regular samurai training and sword. And that is before he is possessed by one.
- Death Seeker: His primary motivation. He knew he was dying from disease, but wanted to find a worthy opponent to die by the sword, instead of a dishonorable death by disease.
- Demonic Possession: Inverted. He is the only character in the whole franchise to be in complete control after being possessed. Juuzou manages to take advantage over all the perks of being taken over by a Horror, while the Horror is powerless to stop him.
- Instant Expert: He masters Soul Metal in a matter of seconds, while this takes years to master for a regular Makai Knight.
- Rip Van Winkle: In order to cure Juuzou from his disease, the Horror puts his body to sleep for several hundred years. Once he wakes up, the first thing he sees is a modern airplane flying over him.
- Worthy Opponent: Sees Rei as one to himself. In the end, Rei acknowledges Juuzou to be one as well.
- You Could Have Used Your Powers for Good: Rei tells Juuzou he should have been a Makai Knight with his skills. Juuzou replies that he is not interested.
Characters Introduced in Makai no Hana
Portrayed by: Masei NakayamaSon of Kouga and Kaoru, and latest inheritor to the title of GARO. While serious about training and very dedicated to his job just like his father, he also inherited his mother's softer side; he is much friendlier and one of the few Makai Knights that smiles.
- Badass: Just as expected of a certified Makai Knight, and definitely expected of anyone carrying the name Saejima, or the title Golden Knight Garo.
- Contrasting Sequel Main Character: Unlike his father, Raiga is warm and friendly to most people, and smiles often.
- Freudian Trio: Ego, levelheaded and dutiful. Calm and sociable but still never let emotion take him over.
- Hidden Depths: For his very affable and personable demeanor, Raiga seems to be dealing with living up to "the responsibility he was entrusted with" as the holder of the title of GARO, as implied by his conversation with a former chime-merchant-turned-Horror he knew in his childhood (Ep. 6). As Take Up My Sword suggests below, there's a lot more to this.
- The Kirk
- Knight in Shining Armor: Literally and figuratively; Raiga appears to be an idealistic chivalrous nice guy who gladly fights Horrors because it's the right thing to do. That said...
- Knight in Sour Armor: The finale reveals that the above is partially an act, and Raiga has a good amount of Sour mixed with his Shining. He doesn't really want to be a Makai Knight, and would rather have had a normal childhood with loving parents - but he can't turn away from being Garo because it's his obligation, and because at the end of the day, people need to be protected from Horrors, and it's the right thing to do.
- Nice Guy: He's a lot livelier than Kouga but not abrasive like Ryuga. He's so nice that it blunts his Knight in Sour Armor tenancies significantly.
- Throughout Episode 2, he is visibly displeased anytime someone refers to Mayuri as an object, insisting firmly that she is human.
- Parental Abandonment: Aside from Gonza and Zaruba, he is alone at home, and no mention of his parents.
- Episode 7 hints that Kouga and Kaoru may have been caught in the middle of a climactic battle just as Raiga was training to become a Makai Knight himself, which explains why they are nowhere to be found at the moment. This is confirmed in the Finale, when Eris spreads opens portals through time and space to allow her Horrors passage to Earth, and Raiga realises that Eris is responsible for the disappearance of his parents.
- Smug Smiler: Gave a pretty sly grin towards a Horror's reaction towards learning that he was the golden knight.Raiga: Surprised?
- Take Up My Sword: Episode 7 suggests that he was entrusted the title of GARO by the Tower of Heroic Spirits (which houses all the spirits of previous bearers of the title of GARO) as per Kouga and Kaoru's will, who are supposedly still "fighting in another world". This apparently informs his actions and duties. As such, while he would prefer not to be Garo, he can't and won't abandon his purpose.
- Unorthodox Sheathing: He is especially fond of catching the sheathe mid-air as dramatically as possible.
Portrayed by: Natsumi IshibashiA girl with the unique ability to seal away the Horrors that came from the Makai Flower
- Emotionless Girl: As she's not a normal human, she doesn't show much emotion yet.
- Freudian Trio: Superego, the most emotionless and tend to be cold with the bunch.
- Icy Blue Eyes: She has unusual, aqua blue eyes to symbolize her unique state of being. Namely that she isn't a normal human, she's a Madou Tool for sealing Horrors.
- Mysterious Waif
- Sealed Good in a Can: She was locked in a coffin and covered in bandages.
- Ship Tease: With Raiga
- The Spock: After Character Development She becomes more The McCoy.
Portrayed by: Atom MizuishiKnown as the Phantom Knight, Crow is a Makai Knight who is serving in the White region and is sent to assist Raiga, as the museum where the slate was unraveled is within his jurisdiction. CROW is actually his Makai Knight title, not his real name, which he chooses not to reveal.
- Aloof Ally: He has a rather cold and detached attitude toward both Raiga and Mayuri, but respects Raiga for his standing and authority.
- Animal Motifs: His armor's default form, which differs than most Knights, as the helmet's design is based on a bird instead of the usual wolf based one. It is later shown that the helmet can open up and transforms into a wolf based one.
- Badass: Being a Makai Knight, this is a given.
- Flat Character: He is given some depth in Makai Retsuden, however.
- Freudian Trio: Seems to be Superego, but later shown His Id tendencies of being brash and having Black and White Morality about Mayuri.
- Flight: The first Makai Knight explicitly shown to be able to fly, he can sprout his wings when he needs to but he sacrifices twenty seconds of use of his armor to summon them.
- The Nameless: CROW is not his name, it's his title. According to Orva, a knight who lives in the shadows like him does not need a name.
- Ninja: Has elements of this. He often moves stealthily and consider himself as somebody who lives in the shadows, much like how a ninja is. He also carries a Ninjatō sword, which is a sword often used by Ninjas in modern portrayal. Lastly, he uses a throwing weapon called Enzan, which is very similar to a shuriken.
- The Spock
- Tracking Device: Enzan acts like this, allowing his Mado Tool partner Orva to track down a Horror that has been stabbed by it or he can insert Orva into the Enzan and throw it as far as possible allowing Orva to locate the Horror.
Portrayed by: Sayaka AkimotoA very talented Makai Priestess under the Shadowfolk, known as the Darkness Hunter. Unlike other Makai Priests, instead of fighting Horrors, her duty is to inspect the souls of fellow Knights and Priests and cut down the souls of those who have fallen to darkness and become possessed by Horrors.
- Action Girl
- All of the Other Reindeer: Due to her job as a Darkness Hunter, she is often treated as an outcast by most, as stated by Crow.Raiga: Though we're in the same profession, they don't fight Horrors...Crow: Yes. That's why everyone hates them.
- Badass: She's definitely not your average Makai Priest, which makes her even MORE awesome!
- Improbable Aiming Skills
- I Work Alone: Crow has said that Bikuu does not work with anyone because "they trust no one and no one trusts them". Despite this, however, she does agree to assist Raiga and the others in defeating the Horror Ratel, who has possessed a fallen Makai knight.
- Mirrors Reflect Everything: She used a mirror during her battle against Ratel.
- She also uses it as a Tracking Device to find Ratel after marking him with an ofuda-like Makai scroll/talisman.
- Sacred Bow and Arrows: She used a bow and arrow attack to hit Ratel's weak spot (which she knew because she had inflicted it on her brother, Izumo, who Ratel possessed, during training.)
- The Stoic
- Strength Equals Worthiness: Before allowing the group to assist her in defeating Ratel, Bikuu first tests Crow and Raiga of their strength.Bikuu: Then try to defeat me.
- Unable to Cry: Not even a single tear was shed from her after the loss of her younger brother, Izumo, when he fell to darkness and became possessed by Ratel.Mayuri: Bikuu, are you okay with that?Bikuu: Should I answer that as a Priest, or as a sister? I am a Makai Priest, my brother is a Makai Knight. That is all.
- Telepathy: Bikuu has an ability known as the Heart Invasion Technique, which allows her to see the darkness within one's heart. Quite literally.