Characters: GARO The One Who Shines In The Darkness
open/close all folders
Characters for GARO The One Who Shines In The Darkness
For the characters from previous seasons, see here
Ryuga Dougai (GARO)
The Golden Knight, and successor to the title and armour of GARO. Unlike his predecessor, he roams freely without jurisdiction over any region of Japan. His habit of dressing in black exudes a wild and imposing personality even though he is actually quite kind and positive. He possesses the ability to sense the feelings of others by touching their belongings.
- Badass: As expected of a successor of GARO, his fighting skill is amazing.
- Handicapped Badass: Loses his eyesight in episode 18. What does he do immediately afterwards? Train himself to compensate, then escapes from prison without the Garo armor.
- Berserk Button: Takes offense from being called the "Garo who lost its golden shine."
- Celibate Hero: Respectfully rejected Rian's advances in #11. She may or may not have been kidding.
- Contrasting Sequel Main Character: While Kouga was just about as stoic could get, Ryuga is far more of a people person.
- Determinator: Just like his predecessor, this guy simply WILL NOT GIVE UP. Even after blinded by the enemy.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: As seen in Gold Storm Sho teaser, his hairstyle changes from spiky to straight hairstyle, similar with Kouga and Raiga.
- Eye Scream: He's stabbed through the eyes with Sonshi's sword in Episode 18. Tears of Blood follow. He only got better thanks to his mother's help but at the cost of her own eyesight.
- Hidden Depths: He can sing and play the guitar.
- Keet: He's quite cheerful, especially when compare to Kouga. Doesn't mean he can't get serious, though.
- The Kirk
- Telepathy: Can determine people's feelings by touching their belonging as shown when he can feel the thought of the people in Vol City when touching a statue inside the city.
Aguri Kusugami (GAI)
Known as the "Sky Bow Knight", Aguri is the latest in a line of Makai Knights of the Kusugami clan. He approaches his responsibilities with a cold and analytical view bordering on heartless, but secretly worries that he cannot live up to the prestige his name carries.
- Archer Archetype: Intelligent, stoic, cool headed and uses bow as his weapon.
- Badass: Capable of blocking Ryuga and Takeru's attack when they mistakenly attack him in episode 3. His skill as a tactician and combatant is unquestionable.
- Badass Bookworm: His careful planning to defeat the Horror in episode 3 is proof of this.
- Bifurcated Weapon: After his bow was broken by Sonshi, it was fixed by Burai so it can be used for close range combat, he can now split his bow and arrow into a pair of katanas.
- Expy: Uses bow and arrow, wears glasses, stoic personality, look down on the main protagonist for his lack of skill, highly intelligent, and comes from a noble family in his profession. He's pretty much Uryu Ishida.
- Insufferable Genius: He's kinda of a jerk, but without his planning they would never never have defeated the Horror in episode 3, Ryuga himself admitted this.
- Jerkass: He doesn't show any concern about his teammates and didn't even tell them about his plan to fight a Horror despite using his teammates as pawns so the plan can work.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Turns out he's not so bad after all. He's the one who shed the most tears after knowing what the Madou Horror does to their victims souls. And as #19 shows, he will go through hell and back for his fellow comrades.
- The Spock
- Stoic Spectacles: Aguri is the first Makai Knight to wear glasses. He's also pretty much like Kouga in term of temperament.
- The Stoic: Hardly shows any emotion throughout his appearance so far.
- Not So Stoic: As #13 shows, Aguri is not without emotion or sympathy. He even cries after finding out what the Madou Horrors does to the victims. And again in #20, at Ryuuga's reunion with his mother.
Takeru Jakuzure (ZEN)
Known as the "Flame Sword Knight", Takeru is a self-styled playboy who would rather find a lady friend than battle Horrors. He is the most extroverted of the three Makai Knights, but also the one least in control of his emotions.
A Makai Priest based in Vol City. He acts as the commander of the Makai Knights cell within Vol City, and fights alongside an Makai Beast named Rago. He has a history with Ryuga, being the one who trained him in the past.
- Big Good: Pretty much this in the Volt City conflict. Sonshi seems reluctant to take him on, and when you consider Sonshi's talent...
- Cool Old Guy
- The Beastmaster
- Worf Had the Flu: Despite the aforementioned reluctance, Sonshi was able to beat him when they fought offscreen. He said that he was too weakened from sending Lago after Tousei and Sonshi.
A beautiful and flashy Makai Priestess who is Priest Burai's only disciple. Intelligent and seductive, she supports the Makai Knights both behind the scenes, and in battle using a pistol armed with magical bullets.
- Action Girl: Oh so much.
- Bad Ass: As much as any of the boys.
- Badass in Distress: In episode 18, she was captured so she could be used for the Zedom Ritual, which would cause her to give birth to Madou Horror Plants.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: One leg of her pants is missing a thigh.
- Genki Girl
- The Gunslinger: The first character to use a gun to augment her hand-to-hand.
- Hair Decs: Looks like a woolly diamond-shaped ornament. It belonged to her father.
- Hooker with a Heart of Gold: "Hooker" would be too much and thus downplayed but she dates rich men to obtain diamonds for her Madou tools. She was really concerned with a man she was dating after he was tempted by a Horror.
- Ironic Echo: She told Enhou and Ryuga that she wants to bear their children. She is kidnapped by Tousei to make her give birth to madou plants.
- Last Name Basis: Strangely, she calls Aguri by his family name, despite calling Ryuga by his first name in the previous episode.
- Meganekko: While disguised in episode 2.
- Mistress of Disguise: Rian can disguise herself and her companions as almost everyone.
- The Smurfette Principle: The only girl in a team of knights and priests.
The smart-mouthed Magic Ring who acted as the partner to the previous GARO. He does not acknowledge Ryuga as GARO, and thus refuses to work with him. Instead, he spends most of his time with Burai.
Priest Burai's dog-like Familiar
Residents of Vol City
The female commander of SG-1, the private security group
in charge of imposing order within Vol City. Although she constantly clashes with Ryuga, she has a virtuous heart and wishes to gain enough power to protect the innocent within the city. She is turned into a Magic Horror by Tousei against her will, becoming a puppet under his control
A news reporter known as the "Goddess of Justice". She delivers the daily "News Time" reports in Vol City and is absolutely trusted by the public. She is actually a Magic Horror and a high-ranking member of the conspiracy
The mysterious head of the prestigious Kaneshiro Group that controls Vol City. He is actually a Puppet King controlled by Tousei Kaneshiro, who secretly seized control of Vol City through his Magic Horrors and used Kensui as a figurehead to deflect suspicion from himself
A mysterious man who acts as the secretary to Kensui Kaneshiro, and seems to be linked to the Magic Horror conspiracy. He is a Magic Horror himself, and serves Tousei as his right-hand man. However before all those happened, he was also a former Makai Knight
An estranged son of Kensui Kaneshiro who owns and operates a steakhouse in Vol City. After encountering a Horror in his shop, he approaches Ryuga and attempts to provide him with assistance in his battle against the Horrors. He is actually the one behind the Magic Horror conspiracy, having created the Magic Horrors to seize control of Vol City from the shadows. After his true significance is revealed, he steps out of the shadows and becomes the public ruler of Vol City by assassinating the rest of the Kaneshiro Group
- Abusive Parents: Abandoned by his father for being a bastard. While turning her mother into an Inga Horror justifies calling him a monster, she also neglected him.
- Almighty Janitor: Appears to be a humble steakhouse owner-cook. In reality, he's the Big Bad.
- Bastard Bastard: He's Kensui Kaneshiro's son from a different mother, and thus the black sheep of his family. Apparently, his mother was raped by Kensui.
- The Corrupter: He turned Enhou into a Madou Horror, and plans to turn Ryuuga into a Madou Horror as well. And before that, the first Madou Horror he made was his mother. All the Madou Horrors in Vol City were made by him.
- Karmic Death He rubbed his status as a human in the faces of the Makai Knights, knowing quite well that they are forbidden to kill a single human. He then got turned into an Inga Horror, making him fair game.
- Manipulative Bastard: He's very good at manipulating people, and even the Makai Knights have been dancing to his tune for most of the series - they just didn't know it.
- The Man Behind the Man: To Sonshi.
- The Man Behind The Monsters: In spite of the Makai Knights' expectations, he's human.
- Non-Action Big Bad: As expected from a regular human being, he's physically weak as shown as he was knocked unconscious when Takeru smacked him with his remaining hand. This is the guy that played the knights and priests for fools as far as 15 years back when it all started.
- Psychopathic Manchild: His Evil Gloating can be likened to a child taunting a playmate, even with gleeful pointing and laughing, and he even threw a tantrum when he failed to stab Ryuga with a madou plant.
- Walking Spoiler: That much can be said.