open/close all folders
For the characters from third season
, see here
Kouga Saejima (GARO)
Known as the "Golden Knight", Kouga is a renowned Makai Knight who inherited the title from his father, Taiga Saejima. His weapon of choice is a longsword. While he is coldly dedicated to his mission at the start of the series, even heartlessly using Kaoru as bait for Horrors, he slowly begins to care for her without ever losing his stoic personality.
- Action Hero
- Badass: Oh, HELL YES.
- BFS: His powerful sword is already big to begin with. Then when he rides his horse, Gouten he can transform it into a insanely huge version of it, ''Zankantou-style'' to take down Horrors the size of houses.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: has shades of this in Makai Senki after he is given the Seal of Destruction and given a limited time to live. He is doing more domestic activities which he would not have been interested in during the first series, mainly revolving around spending time Kaoru.
- He does draw the line at bad acting though.
- Jerkass —> Jerk with a Heart of Gold. He softens considerably over the series.
- Lonely Rich Kid: He's the Makai equivalent of an aristocrat but he grew up with nearly no friends (except Jabi and his butler) and spent most of his time as a child training to slay Horrors.
- As a child, he did manage to make friends at a Makai Knight training camp. It...did not end well.
- Married to the Job: At the start of the series, but he starts getting better about this as the series goes on.
- No Social Skills: Dear god yes.
- Power Limiter: He gets hit with the Brand of Destruction in Makai Senki, which weakens him every time his armour is summoned.
- Sacrificed Basic Skill for Awesome Training: Kouga could kick the ass of any demon that's thrown at him... but do not ask him to coherently express his feelings, question him on appropriate social interaction, or play poker.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Money!: Kouga is ridiculously wealthy and won't hesitate to use his money in pursuit of his mission. When confronting a Horror that has possessed an actor taking the lead role in a play, he ensures a one-on-one showdown by buying all the tickets.
- Single-Target Sexuality: Even though he has two incredibly sexy Makai Priests who have shown some sort of interest in him and in a series where there is fanservice abound, Kaoru is the only person Kouga has shown any romantic attraction to. In the short time they were together, he fell for her, and stayed in love with only her even during the times when they were seperated.
- Their son, Raiga, is the protagonist of his own series.
- The Stoic: At first. Kouga does loosen up as time passes, something which Rei commented on in Makai Senki.
- Not So Stoic: His composure notably slips whenever anyone he cares about, like Kaoru, Gonza or Rei, is threatened.
- Trauma Conga Line: Where do we start? As a child, Kouga not only witnesses the traumatic death of his father but also the deaths of his childhood Makai-training camp friends whom he witnessed GET EATEN right before his eyes! As an adult, he is isolated, emotionally repressed, socially awkward, and ruthlessly devoted to a frankly horrific job that will probably end up getting him killed at a young age. Despite all this, he meets the love of his life under horrible circumstances in which she is cursed to die in a hundred days. He literally goes through hell to retrieve her cure, they get a breather, and then they find out that she's actually a gate for the ultimate Horror to pass through. Her trusted mentor is actually the Big Bad who killed his father and who invokes an even Bigger Bad to possess her body. While this is happening, Kouga is getting his ass kicked by Barago, Kodama (during which he nearly became a soulless monster), GULM, Messiah!Kaoru, Messiah, and then Barago's armour KIBA. Oh, and then his magic talking ring dies. And then, the girl he did all of it for leaves for Italy. Yeah, she comes back but still.
- Come in the second season, he is the one cursed to die this time around, and just as he thinks that's about to be resolved, he gets almost permanently absorbed by the corpse of the demon Ganon to help create Idea, a monstrous robotic weapon designed by a man who wishes him and every other Makai Knight dead simply for being "not good enough" at fighting the Horrors.
- Tsundere: Kouga is a male version of this towards Kaoru. Even though he loves her, he still hasn't quite figured out the mechanics of expressing that affection in way that doesn't make him look like a jerk or incredibly awkward.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Kouga using Kaoru as Horror bait in the first series and neglecting to tell her that she doesn't have very long to live. Even Rei, who at the time was the resident Jerkass with a Revenge Before Reason mentality calls him out on it.
Rei Suzumura (ZERO)
Known as the "Silver Fang", Rei is a Makai Knight who shirked his responsibilities to pursue a personal vendetta against Kouga, who he believes murdered his lover. He wields two swords that can combine into a single weapon when in his armour. Though he acts friendly and familiar, his true personality is cold and focused.
When she is introduced, she is a struggling young artist whose life becomes entangled with Kouga's after she is caught in the middle of a fight between Kouga and a Horror. In the ensuing battle, she is splashed with the monster's blood and afterwards cursed to die in a hundred days. Kouga initially decides to use her as Horror bait but as they grow closer, he ends up falling for her and is determined to protect her at all costs.
- Apocalypse Maiden: Kaoru turns out to be one at the end of the first series.
- Break the Cutie
- Dark Action Girl: Whenever she becomes possessed by Messiah.
- Distressed Damsel: In the first series, hardly an episode passes where nothing is trying to eat/kill/rape/abduct Kaoru.
- The Dulcinea Effect: Subverted at first. Kouga is a knight and Kaoru is a Distressed Damsel but it isn't romantic interest that has him sticking around after he rescues her but because he's using her as a lure for more Horrors. Gradually played straight since he ends up falling in love with her and becomes increasingly unwilling to put her in danger.
- Girl Next Door
- Hero's Muse: Even when she's not around, Kaoru is never far from Kouga's thoughts and usually serves as inspiration to him in his fight against Horrors.
- Light Feminine and Dark Feminine: She's the cute, bubbly, pastel-colored Girl Next Door in the Garo universe and stands in stark contrast to the sexual and corrupt female Horrors and darkly beautiful Makai Priestesses like Jabi and Rekka.
- Hotter and Sexier: Whenever she is possessed by Messiah.
- Lady and Knight: With a twist where the Lady (Kaoru) thinks that her Knight (Kouga) wants to protect her from the demons that keep trying to eat her. In reality, he was using her to attract more demons in order to kill them. They play this trope straight once he falls in love with her.
- Lethal Chef: Oh yes. Very much so. Gonza and Kouga treat Kaoru's cooking as a great emergency.
- Morality Pet: For both Kouga and Rei, mostly in the first series.
- Nice Girl
- Plucky Girl: Gets attacked by Horrors on a daily basis and still manages to stay rather upbeat.
- The Pollyanna: Kaoru is almost aggressively determined to be this no matter what hardship she goes through since she realizes that she has no control when it comes to Makai matters and the best she can do is put up a facade of unwavering optimism. Even after she finds out that Kouga is dying she refuses to allow anyone see her despair and only breaks down once she is alone.
- Trauma Conga Line: Starts off the series as a struggling artist and then she gets splashed by demon blood and is condemned to die in a hundred days, is attacked on what almost appears to be a daily basis by demons and occasionally Rei, finds out the guy she was falling in love with not only knew that she had very little time to live and was keeping it a secret but actually kept her alive for the sole purpose of using her as monster bait, betrayed by Rei in order to get to Kouga, and then narrowly escaped her death sentence at the last second. But just when things were starting to look up, she finds out her mentor had actually manipulated her into becoming the Big Bad, she gets kidnapped once again, becomes possessed by the Mother of all Horrors and is forced to fight her friends. Of course, everything worked out for her in the end. Of the first series that is. Flash forward to the second series and this time around her boyfriend is the one that's dying. Girl cannot get a break.
- Unwitting Pawn: She wasn't simply being used by Barago, who manipulated her ever since she was a child to become Messiah's host but also by Kouga, who initially only spared her life to use her as Horror bait. Although the latter later came to regret his actions. The former as well but for very different reasons.
The loyal butler to the Saejima family, Gonza has faithfully served Taiga for years, and takes care of Kouga after the latter dies. He is less of a servant, and more of an uncle of sorts to Kouga. While he cannot fight at all, he does his best to take care of the house and Kouga's needs, supporting him at home so he can fight horrors.
- Achievements in Ignorance: Once managed to pick up a Makai Sword to defend Kouga. The moment he was reminded it was a Makai Sword (which only Makai Knights can wield after Training from Hell), down fell the sword.
- Battle Butler: Averted. The one time Gonza tried, it really didn't work out for him.
- Parental Substitute: To Kouga. Gonza in many ways fulfils the role of a surrogate father of sorts to Kouga, giving him gentle advice. And while Kouga may not always agree with Gonza, he will listen.
- After Kouga and Kaoru disappear before Makai no Hana, he fulfills this role again for Raiga.
- Shipper on Deck: Is very supportive and encouraging of Kouga and Kaoru's relationship.
Characters Introduced in GARO (TV)
A psychologist who acts as Kaoru's confident and emotional support. He is secretly BARAGO, having taken the guise of Karune Ryuzaki to keep a close watch on his Apocalypse Maiden
A skilled Makai Priest, and childhood friend to Kouga. She has a sharp tongue and a no-nonsense attitude. She also has a small crush on Kouga
The Eastern Watchdogs
The three young girls who act as Kouga's superiors in the first series of GARO
. Named Keira, Beru and Rose, they are ancient Makai Priestesses who almost seem to share a single mind. As Watchdogs, their main role is to give execution orders to Kouga when a powerful Horror is detected, and perform the Makai Purification ritual on Kouga's sword. They are secretly working to revive Messiah
The mute butler who serves the Eastern Watchdogs.
- Battle Butler- he can go toe to toe with Kouga and Rei in terms of combat prowess.
The main antagonist of the first series of GARO
. BARAGO is known as the Black Fang, a fallen Makai Knight who was granted the forbidden power of the Demon Knight KIBA. This allowed him to surpass the 99.9 second time limit on his armour, and to consume Horrors to increase his own powers. His goal is to achieve ultimate power by absorbing one thousand Horrors, with the final one being the Ultimate Horror, Messiah.
The Ultimate Horror. Despite all her power, she is trapped in the Makai and can only enter the Human Realm if summoned.
Characters Introduced in Movies/Specials
Tsubasa Yamagatana (DAN)By the book Makai Knight.
Known as the Midnight Sun Knight
. Believing emotions would only get in the way on the job, at first at least
. Big brother to Rin.
A hot-headed Makai Priest. She resents the fact that she was denied the opportunity to become a Makai Knight because of her gender, and trained herself to actively hunt Horrors on her own. However, her lack of discipline and furious determination often results in civilian casualties.
A former Makai Guide who was betrayed and fatally wounded by two Makai Knights while looking for the corpse of Ganon. She is rescued by Barago, who was also looking for Ganon's corpse, and vows to serve him.
- Gratuitous English - her explanation of her backstory to Kaoru in KIBA is done in English with Japanese subtitles a la the intro to the series proper.
Characters Introduced in ZERO: Black Blood
- The Alcoholic: Always seen drinking. He's mostly functional instead of drunk, but it's a fine like between the two.
- Improbable Weapon User: Fights with an umbrella rather than the brush that most Makai Priests use.
- Affably Evil: Always polite and charming to everyone he sees, even if he's going to sacrifice them to Horrors.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: Always seen wearing a three piece suit.
- The Man In White: That nice suit of his is white. This extends to his Horror form; Ring is the only Horror whose appearance is white, in contrast all other Horrors, which are black.
Characters Introduced in Makai Senki
A genius Makai Priest who becomes the support for Kouga in Makai Senki
. He is responsible for a number of inventions, such as the mechanical Gouryuu that can allow Makai Priests to seal weaker Horrors without the need for a Makai Knight. Despite his achievements, he conducts himself with great humility and poise. He is secretly a Makai Knight as well, whose title is RŌDO, the Flash Knight
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: He doesn't act like an idiot but his shyness makes some people around him think of him less. Especially some of his Jerkass Makai Priest superiors. That's why they tend to forget that he's very dangerous in combat.
- Not to mention that he's secretly a skilled swordsman & a powerful Makai Knight.
- Hidden Depths: Revealed to be a skilled swordsman despite being a Makai Priest. He can also transform into a Makai Knight. His title is RŌDO, the Flash Knight
- Gadgeteer Genius
- The Smart Guy
Wataru Shijima (BARON)
A Drill Sergeant Nasty
instructor to Makai Knights in training. His title is the Thunder Knight
The Man in the Red Mask (Sigma Fudou)
The main antagonist of Makai Senki
. The Man In The Red Mask is a rogue Makai Priest who is attempting to destroy the Makai Knights, believing that they are unneeded and that Makai Priests should be solely responsible for dealing with Horrors. To this end, he brands as many Makai Knights as possible with the Brand of Destruction, develops anti-Horror technology such as humanoid Gouryuu, and attempts to sway Makai Priests to his side. In addition to his incredible magical prowess and intellect, he is also a skilled swordsman and fighter. His true identity is Sigma Fudou, Leo's identical twin brother
A powerful Horror known as the "Fang of Messiah". Its corpse holds great power and is used by The Man In The Red Mask as the lynchpin of his plan.
- Crossdresser: The actor playing Ganon is a real life crossdresser.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Ganon's existence was hinted at in some of the OAV/Specials.
- Eldritch Abomination
- Humanoid Abomination: Like Messiah, Ganon's "true" form is that of a human woman.
- Man Behind the Man: Subverted. Unlike Messiah, Ganon had no grand scheme to resurrect herself and did nothing to manipulate Sigma; she was dead after all. It just so happened that Sigma's malice was enough to trigger a resurrection, and once awakened Ganon did what any Horror would do.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Not so much "sealed" as "dead". Until Sigma's malice powers her resurrection.
Characters Introduced in Makai no Hana
Son of Kouga and Kaoru, and latest inheritor to the title of GARO. While serious about training and very dedicated to his job just like his father, he also inherited his mother's softer side; he is much friendlier and one of the few Makai Knights that smiles.
- Badass: Just as expected of a certified Makai Knight, and definitely expected of anyone carrying the name Saejima, or the title Golden Knight Garo.
- Contrasting Sequel Main Character: Unlike his father, Raiga is warm and friendly to most people, and smiles often.
- Hidden Depths: For his very affable and personable demeanor, Raiga seems to be dealing with living up to "the responsibility he was entrusted with" as the holder of the title of GARO, as implied by his conversation with a former chime-merchant-turned-Horror he knew in his childhood (Ep. 6). As Take Up My Sword suggests below, there's a lot more to this.
- Knight in Shining Armor: Literally and figuratively; Raiga appears to be an idealistic chivalrous nice guy who gladly fights Horrors because it's the right thing to do. That said...
- Knight in Sour Armor: The finale reveals that the above is partially an act, and Raiga has a good amount of Sour mixed with his Shining. He doesn't really want to be a Makai Knight, and would rather have had a normal childhood with loving parents - but he can't turn away from being Garo because it's his obligation, and because at the end of the day, people need to be protected from Horrors, and it's the right thing to do.
- Nice Guy: He's a lot livelier than Kouga but not abrasive like Ryuga. He's so nice that it blunts his Knight in Sour Armor tenancies significantly.
- Throughout Episode 2, he is visibly displeased anytime someone refers to Mayuri as an object, insisting firmly that she is human.
- Parental Abandonment: Aside from Gonza and Zaruba, he is alone at home, and no mention of his parents.
- Smug Smiler: Gave a pretty sly grin towards a Horror's reaction towards learning that he was the golden knight.
- Take Up My Sword: Episode 7 suggests that he was entrusted the title of GARO by the Tower of Heroic Spirits (which houses all the spirits of previous bearers of the title of GARO) as per Kouga and Kaoru's will, who are supposedly still "fighting in another world". This apparently informs his actions and duties. As such, while he would prefer not to be Garo, he can't and won't abandon his purpose.
- Unorthodox Sheathing: He is especially fond of catching the sheathe mid-air as dramatically as possible.
A girl with the unique ability to seal away the Horrors that came from the Makai Flower
Known as the Phantom Knight, Crow is a Makai Knight who is serving in the White region and is sent to assist Raiga, as the museum where the slate was unraveled is within his jurisdiction. CROW is actually his Makai Knight title, not his real name, which he chooses not to reveal.
- Aloof Ally: He has a rather cold and detached attitude toward both Raiga and Mayuri, but respects Raiga for his standing and authority.
- Animal Motifs: His armor's default form, which differs than most Knights, as the helmet's design is based on a bird instead of the usual wolf based one. It is later shown that the helmet can open up and transforms into a wolf based one.
- Badass: Being a Makai Knight, this is a given.
- Flight: The first Makai Knight explicitly shown to be able to fly, he can sprout his wings when he needs to but he sacrifices twenty seconds of use of his armor to summon them.
- The Nameless: CROW is not his name, it's his title. According to Orva, a knight who lives in the shadows like him does not need a name.
- Ninja: Has elements of this. He often moves stealthily and consider himself as somebody who lives in the shadows, much like how a ninja is. He also carries a Ninjatō sword, which is a sword often used by Ninjas in modern portrayal. Lastly, he uses a throwing weapon called Enzan, which is very similar to a shuriken.
- Tracking Device: Enzan acts like this, allowing his Mado Tool partner Orva to track down a Horror that has been stabbed by it or he can insert Orva into the Enzan and throw it as far as possible allowing Orva to locate the Horror.