Axis Powers Hetalia: Northern Europe
Click to go back to the character index.
- Ascended Extra: They've gotten prominent over the years as well.
- Big Fancy House: In the manga, the Nordics gathered for lunch and Iceland's "announcement" in a house that looked pretty average-sized. In the anime, said house is much bigger. It's not clearly stated who it belongs to, either.
- In the manga and third interval CD, the 'house' is actually a bar at Sweden's place, so it is safe to assume the same for the anime.
- Five-Man Band: Some fans apply these dynamics to the Nordics:
- The Hero: Finland (Nordic-centered strips are often from his POV)
- The Lancer: Sweden (Finland's husband, er, partner)
- The Big Guy: Denmark (Boisterous Bruiser, with an axe as his Weapon of Choice)
- The Smart Guy: Norway (Deadpan Snarker, can see spirits, gives Denmark snark and concrit)
- The Chick: Iceland (The younger of the Nordics, barring Sealand. This might change, of course)
- Tag Along Kid: Sealand (Sweden's "adoptive child"), also Ladonia.
- Team Pet: Iceland's puffin and Hanatamago.
- Newer strips suggest a slightly different layout:
- The Hero: Denmark (self-proclaimed leader of the Nordics, and most outgoing.)
- The Lancer: Norway (Critical of Denmark but usually at his side)
- The Big Guy: Sweden (The strongest and the quietest)
- The Smart Guy: Finland (overlapping with the Generic Guy, but is less quirky than his companions.)
- The Chick: Iceland. (And aware of it, no less!)
- The Sixth Ranger: Estona. (In his own mind, at least...)
- Former Teen Rebel/Retired Outlaw: Sweden, Denmark and Norway are considered this after their old Viking days. A discussion about Valhalla even mentions that Denmark wouldn't have minded going there when he was younger, but confessed he would rather retire by a countryside if he could in modern times.
- Ghost Pirate: They dressed as ghost pirates for Hetaween 2011.
- He Is Not My Husband: Sweden calls Finland his wife. Finland does not like it at all.
- Huge Guy Tiny ...Other Guy: Sweden is at least 12 cm. taller than his partner, Finland.
- Non-Human Sidekick: Finland and Sweden share their pet dog Hanatamago.
- Not to mention Iceland's puffin or Norway's faeries and nisse.
- Noodle Incident: The Nordics had their 6781st meeting in a random strange place during the Hetalia Bloodbath 2010.
- Norse by Norsewest: Played straight and subverted. (Descriptions on Scandinavian stereotypes they are based on can be found here.)
- Odd Friendship/Vitriolic Best Buds: If their relationships are just platonic, Sweden and Finland, and Norway and Denmark are this respectively.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Denmark and Finland are red oni to Norway and Sweden's blue oni respectively. Although Denmark is also red to Sweden's blue.
- Savvy Tall Guy, Energetic Short Guy: Arguably, Sweden and Finland.
- Inverted as Savvy Short Guy, Energetic Tall Guy in the case of Norway and Denmark.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: Applies to Sweden and Finland, although Sweden could actually fall under both.
- The Stoic: Sweden and Norway are not as expressive as the other Nordics. Norway is a quiet and mysterious stoic. While Sweden is a Face of a Thug, Gentle Giant one.
- Stockholm Syndrome: A possible and quite cynical take on Sweden and Finland's relationship. Subverted due to Sweden's Gentle Giant nature, which is quite different from the historical take of their relationship. Others speculate that it actually goes both ways...
- A Match Made In Lima: Like with Finland, a take of Stockholm and Lima is viewed with Norway and Sweden during their third union. Where Sweden tried to invoke Stockholm Syndrome on Norway only to fall into Lima first. Norway in turn knew Sweden tried to do this, only to warm up to him when their union became a more equal relationship.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Without the hairclip holding his bangs, Norway looks a lot like Iceland.
- Sweden has family ties to Germania and has an uncanny resemblance to Prussia and Germany as well.
- Talking Animal: Hanatamago can talk during the Christmas Episode. Finland is surprised but doesn't think too much of it when they start to read some fan letters.
- Mr. Puffin is also quite the chatterbox.
- Tareme Eyes: Finland (cute, nice variant) and Denmark (badass variant).
- The Worf Effect: The Nordics suffer from this in the 2010 Bloodbath. Only Iceland is spared because he's the only one who felt like something bad was going to happen. As for Denmark...no one knows where he is... Until the very end.
open/close all folders
Finland - Tino Väinämöinen
How about "Go for it, Bomber"?!
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Has light blond hair and violet eyes in the manga. In Season One to Four, his hair is the same yellow-blond shade that England and France have, while his eyes are dark brown. His hair and eye color were changed that of the manga in Season Five onwards.
- Affectionate Nicknamer: Out of the Nordics, he gives the most affectionate titles toward the others. Su-san (Sweden), Ta-san (Denmark), Ai-kun/Ice-kun (Iceland), and Noru-kun (Norway). The other Nordics call him "Fin" in return.
- The Alcoholic: Other than Denmark, he is arguably the second heaviest drinker of the Nordics, complete with Alcohol Hic in the Nordic Five Drama CD. If it isn't beer, Fanon does have him drink vodka if given the chance.
- Beware the Nice Ones: "Even though he appears to be all soft and mellow, you wont wan't to mess with him!"
- Blade on a Stick: As a baby◊, he totes one around as a Weapon of Choice.
- Boisterous, Cute Bruiser - If you read the strip referring to the Polish-Swedish war, you'll notice that Finland is quite eager and happy to get into battle, literally crying because Sweden called off the battle.
- Brown Eyes: In Season One to Four of the anime. It also highlights his warm personality.
- Christmas In July: We got his version of Hatafutte Parade at the end of June, so it has a certain element of this.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Just look at his original name suggestions for their pup.
- Cordon Bleugh Chef: Salty licorice, anyone?
- Foreign Queasine: Unlike England, Finland knows how to cook. If only he wouldn't.
- Friendly Sniper: Fanon portrayal of him.
- He Is Not My Husband: Regarding Sweden.
- Meaningful Name: Väinämöinen is the name of the hero of the Finnish/Karelian epic poem The Kalevala.
- Purple Eyes: In the manga. It also connects to him being a magic Santa Claus figure.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Is it Tino or Timo? There are more Timos in Finland...
- Surprise Santa Encounter: The Ur Example, of course. In most European traditions, Santa lives in Lapland instead of the North Pole.
- Tareme Eyes: Gentle eyes to show his kind disposition.
- Violently Protective Non-Wife: When Sweden goes down in the 2010 Christmas Event, Finland reacts very strongly. Too bad he goes down too.
- Wimpification: Poor Finland may be the biggest victim of this in the APH fandom, after England and Lithuania.
Sweden - Berwald Oxenstierna
- Adaptation Dye-Job: He usually has light blond hair in the merchandise and illustrations, yet the anime series initially gave him sandy brown hair and changed his blue-green eyes to a deep brown. This was thankfully corrected in later episodes to him having only brighter blond hair and purely blue eyes. Season 5 changed his colors once more, to match his manga color scheme.
- Affectionate Nickname: The other Nordics call Sweden by a shortened version of his name (Su-san, the Japanese name for Sweden is Suuēden) in one webcomic, which was translated by fan scanlators as "Sve" (short for Sweden's name "Sverige" in Danish, Swedish and Norwegian). Since then, many fanworks have Finland or Denmark calling Sweden "Sve" regularly.
- Iceland alternatively calls him Sví, from Sweden's Icelandic name: Svíþjóð.
- Awesome McCoolname: "Oxenstierna" is Ye Olde Butcherede Swedishe for "Oxenstjärna"; "Ox star". Truth in Television as most Swedish surnames stem from a time where you came up with a name by smashing two nouns together in an effort to sound cooler than the next-door neighbour.
- His first name Berwald can be traced back to the German Baerwald which means bear forest. In the end, his name can mean Bear Forest Ox Star.
- He also shares a surname with Swedish historical figure Axel Oxenstierna.
- Bespectacled Bastard Boyfriend: Subverted: since he looks like one of these yet is anything but cruel and cold.
- BFS: His Weapon of Choice is a two-hands sword.
- The Big Guy: Subverted. He's the tallest of all the nations along with Russia, but hardly acts like it.
- Creepy, Icy Blue Eyes: His eyes give off a cold, piercing vibe to anyone who first meets him.
- Death Glare: Although it's pretty much his normal facial expression, whether he likes it or not.
- Determinator: He walks across a frozen strait to get to Denmark. No wonder Denmark was shaking.
- Emoticon: 回言回
- Emotion Suppression: It's said that he's actually overcome with emotions, though he never lets them show.
- Face of a Thug: His height and serious face scares everyone. Even if he doesn't intend it.
- Gentle Giant/Real Men Wear Pink: Sweden looks like a huge and scary Big Guy... but is very domestic, an excellent babysitter and even sews his old clothes personally before giving them to Finland when the other remarks on their height difference.
- House Husband: He's better at cooking than Finland.
- Huge Male Nation-tan: In the 5th anniversary strip, Sweden genuinely wants to say some nice things to the fans... but is so blushy and embarrassed that he cannot, much to his and Finland's dismay.Sweden: I wanna say all kinds of nice things... but... (HUGE BLUSH)... 'm embarr'ssed!Finland: Hey! Su-san! Whoa, are you okay?!
- Manly Gay: Very tall, muscular and was once a Viking. Old notes confirm him to be homosexual.
- Perpetual Frowner: Ooooooh, so much. The only time he's been shown smiling in the comic was when he "adopted" Sealand... by purchasing him off the internet. Not like that, you know.
- Although it's smaller one, he's also seen smiling at Finland at the end of the Polish-Swedish Wars strip.
- The Rival: Toward Denmark. Truth in Television considering the two countries' history of war against each other have rivalled England and France.
- Single-Target Sexuality: Apparently, Himaruya's old notes say that he's "gay for Finland". It may stand from a Finnish stereotype that all Swedish men are gay, dating back from the period when homosexual activity was legal in Sweden while still outlawed in Finland.
- Stoic Spectacles: He speaks in a grunting dialect, rarely changes his fearsome facial expression, and scares pretty much everybody when they first meet him.
- The Unintelligible: In Fanon due to failed attempts by fan tranlators to localize his original Tohoku Regional Accent, leaving him with a barely intelligible, grunting speech. Often cranked Up to Eleven in fandom, wh'ch m'ks 't 'nb'r'bl.
- Unwanted Spouse: Some fans interpret he's this to Norway based on the third Sweden/Norway Union.
- Weapon of Mass Destruction/Foreign Queasine: It was humorously noted in Berwald's original character profile that he was making massive amounts of Surströmming - "...the food that can pretty much be used as an ultimate weapon."
- When He Smiles: The only time he was ever seen smiling was when he adopted Sealand (shown here, scroll down to the bottom of the page), and it was adorable.
- Again, he's also seen smiling at Finland at the end of the Polish-Swedish Wars strip.
"No matter how I see it, you guys do look like brothers. You know, the way you're weirdly scary, and how you have weird friends. And to begin with, we're all something like brothers. And I am the elder brother... WAH!""
Voiced by: Hiroshi Shimozaki (JP), Montgomery Sutton (EN, World Series), Greg Ayres (EN, The Beautiful World)
- The Alcoholic: Of Northern Europe. Truth in Television actually.
- Affectionate Nickname: Scanlations and the Nordic Five Drama CD have Finland call him "Ta-san", the shortened form of his Finnish name, Tanska.
- Arrow Catch: He did this when Belarus threw a clothes hanger at him for mouthing off that his group will likely win the costume contest. Of course, Denmark and Finland just looked forward to everyone doing their best.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!/Cloudcuckoolander: In the Hetalia World Academy strips, he told the Newspaper Club that when the Nordics find themselves in trouble, all the Nordic furniture from all around the world will form a giant robot.
- An Axe to Grind: In the official art, Denmark has an axe as his Weapon of Choice.
- Cool Sword: He's also shown to wield a longsword.
- Badass Longcoat: His usual uniform is a long, black and red coat.
- Beneath the Mask: According to Word Of God, he's much different than how he appears.
- Blood Knight: He just won't back out from fighting Sweden. Also, when Sweden was under his rule, he seemed to have a huge grin on his face while challenging Russia.
- Boisterous Bruiser: He's often depicted as such in fanworks. Considering how he's shown drinking beer in one of the two strips he's been in and how loud he is in his opinions (to the point that Norway strangles him with his tie). It's pretty much confirmed here..
- Can't Hold His Liquor: Seemingly drunk even while sober. Ironic, seeing as he is the heaviest drinker in Northern Europe.
- Cassandra Truth: Played for laughs in the 2011 April Fool's event. Iceland doesn't believe him when he says there's a flying cow outside. Naturally, there is.
- Cheshire Cat Grin: In Finland's flashback.
- Determinator: He's not the type to give up without a fight.
- Dumb Blond: Although it's very likely he's got some hidden smarts somewhere.
- His chess score against Norway is 1 to 346.
- Hot-Blooded: Evident when his eyes and right hand were glowing over his excitement on the Nordic Club's furniture making/design discussion activities in the Hetalia World Academy strips.Volume 5: He's the fireball of energy of Northern Europe!
- Nice Hat: His trademark headgear.
- Sarcasm-Blind: Doesn't seem to notice when Norway insults him.
- Saying Sound Effects Out Loud: In Hetalia Fantasia.
- Selective Obliviousness: It's suggested that he ignores any aggressiveness in the air in favor for a cheerful demeanor, as shown when he happily wishes luck to Belarus' group in Hetaween 2011 after she just threw a hanger at him and declared that their group would win.
- Shonen Hair: Just look at it.
- Small Country, Big Ego: Seems to believe he's amazing and knows everything. The others think differently...
- Yandere: Many (but not all) fanworks depict him like this, mainly when paired with Sweden (and to a smaller degree, when with Norway). Less in the "I stalk you because I love you" sense, more in the "I will beat and subdue you because I love you" one.Volume 3 (on Denmark): "Poking England, using Russia as a shield, he's quite the active young man. I feel like his personality will turn out to be the complete opposite of his outward appearance."
- Add the notes that was listed during the final page of 2010 Bloodbath. Himaruya stated the next time he appears, it won't be in a positive light. Then again, this is Himaruya we're talking about: he often says/writes things and then puts 'em on the shelf.
"Hurry up and start saying it, you! Bro-o-ther!"
Voiced by: Masami Iwasaki (JP), Alex Organ (EN)
- Affectionate Nickname: Finland refers to him as "Noru-kun" in the Nordic Five Drama CD.
- Big Brother Instinct: Towards Iceland. He even demands Iceland call him "brother" in one strip, like the quote above states. Cranked Up to Eleven in the anime with him even whispering the request in Iceland's ear.
- Black Magic: Hetalia Bloodbath 2010 alludes that he is able to use strange abilities when commenting Sweden's sudden collapse from fighting Parallel!France #23.
- Carry a Big Stick: He is shown to carry a mace as a Weapon of Choice in the official art.
- Creepy, Occult Blue Eyes: Alludes to his ability to do black magic, as well as creating a contrast to Denmark's more bright and shining blue eyes. Although some art has them look purplish.
- Deadpan Snarker: Apparently limited to Denmark. Who does not get it.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: During his younger days anyway, I mean look at him!◊
- Emoticon: 廿_廿†
- Idiot Hair: He has a floating one on the side of his head. It's hinted the hair represents his fjords from the Volume Four thank you postcard.
- Monochromatic Eyes: Giving off his ethereal, mysterious feel.
- Necktie Noose: In one episode he strangled Denmark with his own tie.
- Nice Hat
- Non-Human Sidekick: His Jötunn.
- All Trolls Are Different: He has a gigantic green troll that appears to defend his master if needed. Norway even remarks how his friends are stronger than England's.
- Shrinking Violet: He describes himself as 'painfully shy' in Hetalia Fantasia 2.
- This Guy Uses Hair Decs: Wears a cross-shaped hairclip.
- Tranquil Fury: At least in the anime, he is shown to be able to strangle Denmark with a pretty straight face. When paired with Denmark, his characterization is a...
- Tsundere: The fans are very fond of making him one towards Denmark, and to quite violent extents. Not that this has much backing in the character profile he eventually got, although strangling Denmark with his own tie certainly lends credibility to the idea.
Norway's Profile: His hobby is poking at Denmark in a strange way.
- The second Hetalia Fantasia CD has him similarly choking Denmark when the latter suggests that him trying to get away from Germany and Japan is because he wants to be alone with Denmark. They're definitely verging on Vitriolic Best Buds or Ho Yay at the very least by this point.
Finland: But I don’t think it means that Nor doesn’t like Denmark. Whatever happens, it seems like Nor spends a lot of time with Denmark.
- Confirmed as of the Nordic Drama CD, with Finland thinking that they get along very well despite appearances, and Sweden going so far as to agree and compare it to his and Finland's relationship.
- There are split of fans that make him either a tsun-tsun or dere-dere toward Sweden as well.
- Debatedly, Norway could be more of a Kuudere (Type 1?), especially if in context with Denmark.
"It'd be great if there was stuff like mythical phantom residents that live only in Iceland..."
Voiced by: Ayumu Asakura (JP), Jason Liebrecht (EN)
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Received blue eyes in World Series, though he also initially had them in the earliest manga illustrations. In Beautiful World (season 5), his eyes are changed back to purple, but his hair is now blond to match the other Nordics instead of silver.
- Affectionate Nickname: Finland calls him either "Ai-kun" or "Ice-kun."
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: He has an awareness of the fourth wall audience. He introduced himself in the beginning of The Movie. Mentioned to the audience if they expected him to do something in the "Making a Good Product in Northern Europe" strip. And during Hetaween 2011, after commenting about the other Nordics acting like kids, he looks behind him and tells the audience to stop staring at him.
- Can't Catch Up: In a way; it's stated in "Meeting of The Nordic" that he's always one step behind the other Nordics -and maybe the rest of Europe- in terms of European trends.
- A Day in the Limelight: During Hetalia Bloodbath 2010.
- Foreign Cuss Word: In The Movie his first line was "Oh skít"
- Hormone-Addled Teenager: In the 2010 Christmas Bloodbath he gets distracted by Germany's muscles.
- Inter Generational Friendship: Sorta, with Turkey in the Hetalia Bloodbath 2010. It helps that Iceland is already a teenager, not a child.
- The Bloodbath has him more or less cool, but still worrying for his fellow Nordics and keeping up with Turkey.
- A Nation and his Puffin
- Mystical White Hair: Icelandic people are stereotyped to be fair haired and superstitious.
- Nice Shoes: His trademark white boots.
- Non-Human Sidekick: He's often shown with a Puffin bird.
- Only Sane Man: Seems to think of himself as this in comparison to the rest of the Nordics.
- Purple Eyes: It alludes to the Icelandic culture being akin to the belief of nature spirits and the atmosphere of the Northern Lights.
- Shrinking Violet: He doesn't like having attention on himself and gets embarrassed when the other Nordics playfully tease him.
- Spit Take: When Denmark exclaimed about seeing flying cows. And all over Mr. Puffin too.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: He's described as being cold on the outside, but warmer and "hot-blooded" on the inside. The Nordic strips show him as being cool in the beginning and somewhat losing it by the end.
- It may allude to his land's topography as a very cold island... but it's made of volcanoes.
- Trademark Favorite Food: He's seen eating salty licorice in the "Making a Good Product in Northern Europe" strip.
- Tsundere: It's not surprising that he's part of the Tsundere Trio (the other two members are England and Romano) with his constant denial that he enjoys the company of the other Nordics.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Seems to be type 2 with his Puffin according to Hetalia Fantasia and his character song.