We've switched servers and will be updating the old code over the next couple months, meaning that several things might break. Please report issues here
But I'll take the sun and I'll take my kite,
Christmas on the beach, Christmas in July.
We all know when Christmas is, right? Late in December, just after the beginning of winter, when it's always covered in snow
, right? Wrong! Christmas happens in the summer, too. It's true, some people just can't wait to get into the Christmas Spirit
. So they decide to celebrate Christmas right there in the middle of July.
Great concept, no?
This will often serve as the premise for Christmas Episodes
in which the show takes place primarily in the summer. All the same plots, motifs, and messages of all other Christmas Episodes will still be present. In fact, expect all the characters to completely forget that it isn't actually Christmas at all.
There is some Truth in Television
, as mentioned by That Other Wiki
. Most holiday TV specials and movies are filmed during the summer season (so you're sweating like a pig...), and some stores do offer Christmas In July sales to get rid of all their old Christmas stock. The crafting community especially embraces Christmas in July, making all their wreaths, decorations and other Christmas crafts in July to either keep for themselves or sell at craft sales in November.
Of course, in July, less time remains before the next Christmas then how much has passed since the last one.
Of course, in the southern hemisphere, Christmas really does
fall in midsummer, so Christmas in Australia
is closely related.
Not to be confused with Green Christmas
- The British comic Strangehaven is about a Quirky Town with weird characters and traditions, such as celebrating Christmas in August. The legend is that the dying wish of a little child was to live to see Christmas, so they moved it up to August.
Manga and Anime
- The story "Christmas in July" from the horror anthology NightThirst has a homicidal Santa who is inexplicably going about his business in the middle of summer.
- Variant: in Almost Famous, one of the complaints William's sister raises before leaving home is that their mother celebrates Christmas in September to avoid consumerism.
- A Sesame Street Christmas Special movie had Elmo wish it was Christmas every day. He got his wish.
- The second Tenchi Muyo! movie, Daughter of Darkness, has the crew celebrating Mayuka's first Christmas in the summer at they very end of the movie. This was mostly because the Juraian equivalent, Starica, happened at that time. It was also because Mayuka had been reborn after her death at the end.
- The majority of Christmas albums are released in the fall, which often means they're being recorded in the spring or summer. This can sometimes make it tricky for the recording artist to get into the "holiday spirit".
- When Elvis Presley recorded Elvis Sings The Wonderful World of Christmas in May 1971, they decorated the recording studio with trees, ornaments and wrapped boxes.
- "Christmas in July" by Sufjan Stevens.
- Dr Demento has a regular "Christmas in July" episode, where he plays novelty Christmas songs in July.
- In Maryland in the summer 2012, radio station 102.7 Jack Fm played Christmas music for a week straight.
- Rudolph And Frostys Christmas In July
- Ed, Edd n Eddy: No, not "Jingle Jingle Jangle", but "Fa La La La Ed", in which Ed gets it in his mind that it's Christmas, although it's July. Of course, the idea spreads to the rest of the kids.
- Ben 10 did have a Christmas episode in the middle of summer vacation. It involves the family discovering a portal to some Christmas World and the elves wanting Grandpa Max to be their new Santa.
- In Garfield and Friends, Garfield pretends it's Christmas at the height of summer to take his mind off the sweltering heat. Jon and Odie join the spirit and decorate the house, confusing the neighbors, who then take it on. This snowballs until almost the entire city falls under the impression that it really is Christmas before City Hall makes an official declaration to the contrary.
- Cartoon Network did Christmas in July marathons back in the 90's where they'd air a bunch of animated Christmas specials in July.
- On the 2011's Christmas Special of Phineas and Ferb, the boys decide to put on a traditional Family Christmas Special in the middle of Summer.
- In one episode of the Super Mario World cartoon, Mario and Luigi introduce Christmas to the cave people to stop them from quarreling, despite it being the middle of August. Mario justifies it by saying the cave people don't know any better.
- In the Back to the Future The Animated Series, the Brown family and Marty decided to visit late 1800's London during Christmas to beat the heat of the present time.
- The animated Punky Brewster series had an episode called "Christmas In July." Glomer, claiming to know Santa personally, takes Punky and her pals to the North Pole workshop in July only to find Santa's on vacation. The kids manage to flummox Santa's toy-making assembly line, prompting him to return early to set things right.
- Real Life: in the southern hemisphere, the actual Christmas is in the summer.
- Australian ex-pats living in the Northern Hemisphere will do this. One newspaper report had one of them commenting that "December doesn't feel like Christmas at all. It's too cold and snowy."
- Countries such as Brazil at times emphasize how Santa impersonators struggle to wear the hot costume (it's something to use while venturing in the snow, after all) - even a Mall Santa, who is frequently under air conditioning.
- It's been noticed (and criticized) that retailers have been placing their Christmas merchandise (decorations, etc.) out on display earlier and earlier. Christmas merchandise being put out before Thanksgiving without a large amount of fanfare (since Thanksgiving isn't a major merchandising holiday anyway,) but people really started crying foul when Christmas merch and ads for Christmas movies was put out before Halloween, leaving people wondering how many holidays will get swallowed up and whether or not "Christmas in July" sales and actual sales will eventually collide.
- Electronics chain Crazy Eddie used to regularly have a Christmas In August sale.