Series / The Story Of Tracy Beaker
A BBC children's programme that aired from 2002 to 2005, it is based on the popular books written by Jacqueline Wilson
. The story revolves around the titular character of Tracy Beaker who lives in a care home and the events that follow. Most of the episodes revolve around Tracy fantasizing about the day her biological mother will come for her, as well as trying to find the perfect foster home in the meantime.
The show lasted for 5 seasons and was followed by a sequel, Tracy Beaker Returns
, focusing on Tracy as a young adult, along with a spin-off, The Dumping Ground.
Tropes that are in this series
- Aerith and Bob: Bouncer, Lol, Crash, Wolfie and Duke... and every other name, though they are nicknames.
- Alpha Bitch: Justine, Amber, Rebecca, Roxy.
- Anti-Role Model: One episode had Tracy convincing Marco, Hayley and Dolly to form a "Tracy Beaker" club, which causes them to play pranks around the house. In the end, Tracy herself acknowledged how bad of a role-model she was to the younger kids, and explained that they were good at heart.
- Butt-Monkey: Elaine, and maybe Ben.
- Beauty, Brains and Brawn: The Wellards: Roxy’s the brains, Chantal the beauty, and Rio is the male example of brawn.
- Bratty Half-Pint: Tracy, at least in her younger years.
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: Maxy, Ryan, Zac and Michael all disappear between seasons with no mention to their whereabouts.
- The Cutie: All the little kids like Maxy, Dolly, Layla, Hayley, Marco, Milly and Alice.
- Demoted to Extra: After leaving with her new foster family in series 2, Louise became a Drop-In Character in series 3. She was eventually Put on a Bus.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Even though Michael acts like a jerk to every other kid, he is friendly towards Louise since he has a crush on her.
- Enemy Mine: Tracy and Justine once teamed up to overthrow Elaine.
- The Friend No One Likes: Elaine "the Pain" Boyak is hated by the staff as well as the children.
- Goth: All three of the Wellards don a goth fashion style, to make them much more intimidating.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Tracy. And Crash.
- Happily Adopted: Tracy and Cam subvert this with their on and off relationship and Tracy frequently returning to the care home after a heated argument.
- In-Series Nickname: "Elaine the Pain", "The Dumping Ground".
- Jerkass: Michael in season 3 is a prime example, in that he bullies the younger kids and snitches on the older ones.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Although Tracy is frequently rude, abrasive, vain, proud and self-centred, she is in fact a good person at heart.
- Other examples include Justine, Amber, the Wellards and Rebecca.
- Man Child: Nathan pretty much acts like one of the kids himself.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Duke, Crash and Wolfie.
- Out of Focus: Tracy in the later seasons, which is ironic in the sense that she's the title character.
- Parental Abandonment: Some of the kids in the care home.
- Parental Substitute: Mike to Tracy, which is why she is hard hit when he decides to leave at the end of Season 1.
- Passionate Sports Girl: Jackie.
- Put on a Bus: Mike, Peter, Adele, Amber, Dolly, Hayley, Duke, Jenny, Nathan, Louise, Marco, Milly and Chantal
- Race Lift: Elaine, who was illustrated white, is played by a British Indian actress.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Jenny, Shelley, Sid, Mike and Duke.
- Remember the New Guy: Whenever a new season starts this can pop up. This was so bad with the season 3 introduction when there were about five new children seen that did not appear in the last season.
- Silent Bob: Milly.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Jenny is frequently seen munching on a chocolate bar.
- Zany Scheme: Usually thought of by Lol and Bouncer.