(born in 1972 in Cambridge, Massachusetts) is a stand-up comedian and occasional actor. He is well-known for his stage persona, which he reportedly based upon his parents, and which involves a great deal of Cook babbling non-stop like he's constantly almost out of breath; for being one of the first stand-up comics to rise to fame by capitalizing upon the Internet, via MySpace
; and for having a substantial, vocal Hate Dom
among other stand-up comics and comedy writers.
Cook has quite a few fans, particularly college students, and his comedy albums have all sold remarkably well, but his not being funny has achieved a memetic quality
all its own. This includes an infamous rant by Dr. Cox on "Scrubs
Cook's albums include:
- Harmful if Swallowed (2003)
- Retaliation (2005)
- Rough Around the Edges (2007)
- Isolated Incident (2009)
- I Did My Best (greatest hits compilation; 2010)
Cook has appeared in the following films:
Notably, with the exception of Dan In Real Life
, Cook's films tend to be received very poorly
by movie critics. He also appeared as himself in a 2011 episode of "Louie," where he discussed a plagiarism controversy involving allegations that Cook stole bits from Louis CK.
He's the Trope Namer
for The Friend Nobody Likes
, based off a memorable routine of his in which he discusses the trope in detail.
- Anachronic Order: "At the Wall", in which Dane tells the ending first, and then proceeds to tell the whole story. He even mentions Quentin Tarantino, a master of this trope.
- Black Comedy: Occasionally.
- Call Back: "The Chicken Sangwich The Heckler and The Kabbash" references "The BK Lounge" via its title.
- Do Not Do This Cool Thing: In "Pedophiles", Dane talks about a site recommended by Oprah called Family Watchdog.org that allows you to search for predators in your area. In his own words:
"And I thought, 'That's awesome! Cool! That's exciting!' Look at me right now: DON'T DO THIS
. No bullshit! You don't wanna know.
- Flipping the Bird: Discussed in "Fuk and the Finga".
- Friendly Tickle Torture: Discussed, saying that it "started fun, ended horribly" by turning into actual Tickle Torture.
- G-Rated Drug: "Hopped Up on the Q"note .
- Greatest Hits Album: I Did My Best.
- Live Album: Rough Around the Edges: Live from Madison Square Garden.
- Memetic Hand Gesture: The "su-fi" (short for "super finger"), something of an "upgrade" from the regular middle finger gesture that includes both the middle and ring fingers. It has two different meanings.
- No Indoor Voice: He once worked at Burger King, and hated people who would yell at the drive-thru for no reWHOPPER NO ONION!
- Person as Verb: In "At the Wall", Dane does the act of "Tarantino-ing it" by telling the ending first and then going back to the start to tell the full story.
- Rapid-Fire Comedy: One of the key elements in Dane's style.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: He once wanted to break into somebody's house at steal something. It was only after he'd kicked in the front door to a stranger's house that he realized how bad an idea that was, and ran off.
- Who Names Their Kid "Dude"?: "My Son Optimus Prime".