Family Affair was a 1966-1971 Dom Com about three children (Buffy, Jody, and Cissy) who, having lost their parents, go to live with their uncle Bill Davis and his butler/manservant "Mister" French.Now mostly remembered for creator-producer Don Fedderson - and Fedderson's boss, network CBS - insisting that the character of Buffy should remain a small child, even as her actress Anissa Jones entered puberty and got closer and closer to high school.A revival of the series starring Gary Cole and Tim Curry aired on The WB during the 2002 season.
This series provides examples of:
- Companion Cube: Mrs Beasley.
- Dom Com
- Embarrassing First Name: Mr. French's first name is Giles.
- Ill Girl: Eve Plumb of future Brady Bunch fame plays one in the episode "Christmas Came a Little Early".
- I Am Very British: Mr. French
- Manipulative Bitch: Aunt Fran; In the pilot, she coaches Buffy as to what to say to Bill, and she points out in front of Bill, that his penthouse has plenty of room to house a child. In a later episode, she decides she wants Buffy back with her and thus attempts to manipulate Buffy, again.
- Not Allowed to Grow Up: The whole sordid story is on the trope's analysis page.
- Panty Shot: Buffy in a couple of episodes.
- Shout-Out: In the pilot of Bosom Buddies after Peter Scolari names Tom Hanks' character's alter ego 'Buffy', Hanks references "Jody and Mr French".
- Suppressed Mammaries: Anissa Jones as Buffy.
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: When Sebastion Cabot became ill and had to miss some time, Mr. French's brother, Niles French, comes to take over his brother' duties to the Davis family for a few episodes.
- Very Special Episode: "Christmas Came a Little Early".