Webcomic / X Dragoon
A Portuguese-to-English Shounen-style webcomic by the artist known as Felipe Marcantonio.
Two young dragons from the planet Gan-Mah, named Rocky and Alfred, are stowing away on a space ship to convince the leader of their planet, Emporer Krad, to abort this resource-wasting mission.
Instead, they end up having to contend with a criminal bruiser named Crusher and a whole host of robotic warriors.
Forced to flee the ship, they end up crash-landing on our planet, Earth.
Meanwhile, in the nearby city of San Janery, a young girl named Renata wakes up after having a vivid dream about a dragon. Convinced that it was just a dream, she goes about her normal day, fails at a surprise exam, and ends up getting ambushed by the neighborhood hoodlums, where she proceeds to kick their asses with her self-defense training.
However, one of the thugs pulls out a knife. Not prepared to fight against sharp weaponry, Renata flees to a nearby alleyway, ending up in a dead-end.
Just went she thinks she's done for, the thug is scared off by the appearance of a "giant lizard." Renata realizes that it's the dragon from her dream, and at first, she is terrified... until the dragon extends his hand in peace.
Thus do the adventures of X Dragoon
You can read this webcomic here.
Tropes in this webcomic:
- Action Girl: Thais is the wife of a famous wrestler and she shows it.
- Anti-Villain: Emperor Krad's entire goal for flying to Earth and seeking the XGem is to bring his late wife back to life.
- Aerith and Bob: You have Rocky and Alfred and Berry and Emperor Krad and Renata and Illusion...
- Badass Normal:
- Renata to an extent, though she is still just a schoolgirl who knows self defense martial arts. This doesn't prevent her from disabling a dragon 10x her size with a cheap shot, though.
- Also Thais. Despite showing up late in the comic, she's proven that her fighting skills are on par with the dragons, sans the ability to manipulate energy.
- Barefoot Cartoon Animal: Several of the dragons. The rest of them wear sandals.
- Berserk Button: The characters have a few.
- Do not tease Philip about his lips if you value your life.
- Do not call Alfred short. Just don't, please.
- Averted in that Alfred's "width" is actually a pride point of his. Teasing him about this results in an Insult Backfire.
- Color-Coded Characters: Each dragon is a completely different color, from the blue Rocky to the purple Alfred to the red Philip to the orange Berry.
- Taken Up to Eleven with Rocky and Richer; with the exception of eye color, all Chosen Bearers of the XGem look the same.
- December–December Romance: Between Master Fei and Natasha.
- Fangirl: Ms. Cristina is this for dragons. To a very scary level. She got uber-obsessive over a chibi SKETCH of one.
- Fanservice: Chapter 16, page 32, duh. Marina bathing.
- Faux Action Girl: Barely Averted. Though Renata's a Badass Normal who gets captured or rendered useless a few times, she's not an action girl.
- Heel–Face Turn: Phillip, after Berry told him about Krad's real reason for coming to Earth. There are two others in the later Casulo arc, both of whom are Androcles Lions.
- Kamehame Hadoken: Rocky's Burst Spark is this, though any dragon with sufficient training can fire their energy, often with vastly different manifestations, including flower petals.
- MacGuffin: The XGem. A powerful artifact from Gan-Mah that acts like a power amplifier, not to mention a few abilities of its own, including a crystalline Suicide Attack.
- Mama's Baby, Papa's Maybe: Rocky, to the point where his father murdered his mother and abused him physically and verbally until he finally abandoned him.
- Marshmallow Hell: Ms. Cristina subjects Rocky to this several times. He quickly gains a phobia of her excessive bosom.
- Alfred, meanwhile, thinks of this as Marshmallow Heaven and has admitted he would not mind dying in this way.
- Mecha-Mooks: Dr. Scar built quite a few of these for Krad.
- The Mole: Turns out, Dr. Scar was actually a Morph, and had been manipulating Krad from the beginning.
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping: Lance starts with a very heavy pirate accent (in the English version, at least) which quickly diminishes from that point onward until he's speaking mostly normally with the occasional archaic English word.
- Our Dragons Are Different: In this universe, they are bipedal creatures with many different features and can manipulate their own energy.