We've switched servers and will be updating the old code over the next couple months, meaning that several things might break. Please report issues here
The Japanese adore the secular parts of Christmas
. They're also rather fond of Santa Claus
While they won't let it get in the way of the plot too much, they will give a nod to it in some anime
The Surprise Santa Encounter goes like this. The characters are running around doing whatever...and then suddenly, Santa Claus! Right there!
...no, actually, it was someone else wearing a Santa disguise
for no particular reason. (Often a main character) We now return to the plot.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
Live Action TV
- In GoGo Sentai Boukenger, Akashi/Bouken Red randomly runs into Santa Claus...who happens to be a ditzy teenage girl in a miniskirt who provides the monster of the week, the Golem.
- Subverted in the recent series, Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger; the Gokaigers meet a seemingly ordinary street Santa while doing their shopping, right before the episode's plot kicks off. While this Santa isn't actually the real deal, he does provide a special present to the Gokaigers at the end of the episode: the Battle Fever J Ultimate Power (since "Santa" is actually Battle Kenya).
- In the Christmas Episode of Kamen Rider Wizard, Santa inexplicably appears in the Victim of the Week's Mental World and gives Wizard a gift. Wizard then takes it back to the real world and finds it's a Ring of Power (much like the ones he uses on a regular basis) which basically creates a Christmas Miracle before vanishing. He wonders if he perhaps ran into the real Santa, as all of this is incredibly fantastic even by his standards.
- In case 4 of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, Phoenix and Maya run into a man in a Santa costume at Gourd Lake Park, who turns out to be Wright's friend Larry Butz (introduced in case 1).
- The initial antagonist of Advance Wars dressed up like Santa in the Japanese version of the game, but they never made a joke about it. In the English version, however, he dresses like a general should...but everyone calls him Santa Claus.
- In the Hideo Kojima video game Snatcher, the main character runs into a police informant disguised as Santa.
- Not quite an encounter, but in the game .hack//Quarantine there is a field on the Omega Server where you can see Santa flying through the air in his sleigh.
- Occasionally, you can see Santa flying in the background in Mortal Kombat 9. If you get a double flawless victory then, you get a secret battle. No, not with Santa Claus, with Classic Reptile.
- Santa appears twice in Serious Sam: The Second Encounter as a secret encounter in the snowy mountain village level. Shooting him causes him to drop power-ups.
- He also appears a third time in the same level, stuck in a chimney. Shooting him with a rocket launcher frees him and triggers another secret.
- In Secret of Mana, the Frost Gigas, a major boss in the game, is revealed after you defeat him to be Santa Claus, who turned into a monster because little children stopped believing in him. Seriously...well, that and he was being affected by tainted magic.