- Alternate Character Interpretation: Did Susie keep Betsy from being reunited with Ghost because he was a Bastard Boyfriend, or because she wants Betsy's attention all to herself?
- Base-Breaking Character: Susie. Some viewers love her for her moody personality in comparison to the sickly sweetness of the show, whilst others feel her actions are needlessly cruel and spiteful towards the campers. Downplayed in that Susie averts Karma Houdini and never wins.
- Fan-Preferred Couple: Oscar/Hedgehog, Word of God be damned.
- LGBT Fanbase: Having some of the most direct and unambiguous representation in Cartoon Network shows, it's pretty much a given.
- Moral Event Horizon: Susie crosses this either when she tries to kill the campers with an avalanche of rocks in "Camp Merit Badges" or earlier when she broke apart Ghost from his family out of envy for Betsy's attention.
- Nightmare Fuel: Alice locking all the monsters in her room and turning off the light before turning them all into babies. All of them are scared and making a signal to Oscar that they want to leave, but it's too late.
- Popular with Furries: The characters are all Funny Animals after all.
- Sweet Dreams Fuel: The entire show is very twee and has an adorable, laid-back feel that makes for a comfy watch. It can be a bit too cute.
- Uncanny Valley: One common criticism for Summer Camp Island is that the character's huge, black eyes are creepy looking.
- Viewer Gender Confusion: More than a few people initially thought Hedgehog was male. Not only does she have a female voice actress, but look closely, and she's wearing a skirt.
- Win Back the Crowd: For a combination of reasons (ranging from the animation to the Love Triangle to a perceived creepiness) the pilot was extremely reviled and previews of the series were met with extreme dislike ratios on YouTube. Come a preview for "Camp Merit Badges", however, the tune changed dramatically, praising the assertiveness of the characters and the comedy.
YMMV / Summer Camp Island