Emi: That doesn't even make sense. How's that going to help you?
Sadao: I'm the lead character. Against all odds, even my stupidest plans will work out.
Emi: You're right. That's how shows like this work.
Exactly What It Says on the Tin, The Devil Is A Part-Timer Abridged is The Abridged Series of The Devil Is a Part-Timer!, created and led by Alifluro and justkyledavid. As usual, character exaggeration is the order of the day. It can be found here.
The series has 12 episodes and was completed June 28, 2017.
The Devil Is A Part Timer Abridged provides examples of:
- The Alcoholic: Everyone thinks Emi is this.
- And at the end of episode 10, she basically confirms it when she inner-monologues this line:Emi: When I get home I'm going to down that bottle of vod-End credits play
- Although, we also have the halloween OVA which, according to Alciel (inside Emi's body) is evidence against her having one:Alciel: Wow. I didn't think it was possible for this body not to be intoxicated.
- And at the end of episode 10, she basically confirms it when she inner-monologues this line:
- Ax-Crazy: Suzuno, so much so that her superiors had to repeatedly tell her that she was to investigate, not kill Emi and Sadao. And she still took it as 'kill'.
- Also, she apparently cost Lucifer his left nipple sometime in the past.
- Berserk Button:
- Don't say that Emi has a drinking problem. Or mention her father.
- Never insult Alciel's Spinach puffs.
- Badass Baritone: Alciel is the most consistent. Albertio has this while on Ente Isla. On Earth, however...
- Bald of Evil: Olba, as in canon.
- Blatant Lies: Emi's excuses for not hanging out with Rika, which the latter believes without question. When she actually tells the truth, however, nobody buys it.
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick: Alciel's response to Emi when she asks what he's doing in SFC.Alciel: Well. First I removed all the napkins from the dispensers, and then I swaped out all the salt and pepper sachets. And I was just about to mass-murder the staff, but no... Somoeone had to rain on my parade!!
- Butt-Monkey: Lucifer, or 'Lucy' as he's known by everyone after his defeat, just like in canon, though he doesn't seem to really mind. Also, he lost his left nipple to Suzuno at some point in the past.
- Camp Straight: Albertio while on Earth. He's not happy about this.
- Catchphrase: Emi's is "I don't have a drinking problem!"
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Rika. See Blatant Lies above.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Chiho. Upon finding out Sadao has a roommate, she immediately exclaims "If it is a blonde woman, I will kill myself!"
- Did I Just Say That Out Loud?: Suzuno has a tendency to do this with her "inner monologues"; when others confront her about it she adamantly refuses to admit it.
- Disappeared Dad: Emi's father accidentally burned the farm down the moment Emilia was no longer around to help him cook.
- Embarrassing Nickname: Lucifer is known almost universally as 'Lucy' after he moves in.
- Evil Laugh: Suzuno gets an impressively crazy one over the episode 6 credits.
- "Freaky Friday" Flip: This happens to all the main characters in the Halloween OVA.
- Guttural Growler: Sadao in his demon form. It's an act. He starts speaking normally in episode 5, citing a sore throat.
- Medium Awareness: Inconsistent and dependent entirely on Rule of Funny. For instance in episode 2 when Sadao whispers "He knows too much too early in the series! We're fucked!" Later, however, he has no idea what his boss is talking about when she mentions having waited several episodes to make a joke.
- Metaphorgotten: happens during this exchange, when Emi is telling Suzuno that the overlord is hers:Emi: Just so you know, the overlord is mine!
Suzuno: *sigh* Yours?!
Emi: Yes. Mine! You better step off, bitch! Cause if you mess with the shark, you get the horn!!
Suzuno: Sharks don't have horns.
Emi: OH, GOD!! I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT A SHARK IS ANYMORE!!!
- Murder Is the Best Solution: Suzuno's logic revolves entirely around this, much to her superiors' chagrin.
- Not So Above It All: Sadao is usually the Only Sane Man, but sometimes ends up drawn into everyone else's antics.
- Only Sane Man: Sadao tends to play straight man to all the craziness going on around him.
- Person as Verb Happens during this exchange in episode 9, when Rika tells Sadao she wants to see him 'play':Sadao: [to Rika] What! I haven't even said anything to you.
Rika: Bending over and taking it, huh?
Rika: Taking it like a little Emi, huh?
Emi: [off screen] Did you just use me as a noun?
- Psycho Ex-Girlfriend: Apparently, Suzuno and Lucifer were an item for twelve years...and she cost him his left nipple at some point, though they don't elaborate if it was during the break-up or not.
- Pungeon Master: Alciel, complete with a YEEEEAAAHHHHH! Running Gag. At one point, he gets in a pun-fight with Lucifer, but Maou cuts it off.
- Alciel and Lucifer do another one in episode 10, right after Alciel gets out of the bathroom.
- Punishment Box: In episode 5, Satan put Alciel in the "Shame Closet" because he wouldn't stop whining.
- Tsundere: In contrast to her canon counterpart, Emi quite clearly has feelings for Sadao, but hides it behind the usual violent antics. They get worse after she starts taking potions from Emeralda meant to restore her sacred energy, but also cause intense mood-swings as a side-effect.
- Vocal Dissonance: Sadao's real voice in his bulked-up demon form is almost identical to his unmorphed one.
- Wham Episode: Episode 11 reveals Chiho is actually a disguise for one of Sadao's demon generals whom Emilia thought she had killed. Or rather, Malacoda possesses Chiho. This is by a significant margin the largest departure from the original series.
- Yandere: Chiho. Besides her routine threats of extreme bodily harm against the other women in the cast whenever she thinks they might be trying to get close to Sadao, her asking Sadao out consisted of the following text exchange:Chiho: Date me?Sadao: Who is this?
Chiho: DATE ME?!
Sadao: Umm, who is this?
Chiho: Chiho <3
Sadao: Oh! Sure...I guess.