Minecraft with Gadget is a skit video created by Mike Matei on the popular YouTube channel Cinemassacre, although it has since been deleted from said channel due to heavy backlash and criticism. The video was uploaded to the channel sometime in 2012, and depicts what appears to be a fictionalized version of Matei playing and reviewing the wildly popular video game Minecraft alongside an animated Inspector Gadget, from the cartoon series of the same name.
The video opens up with Matei and Gadget having a conversation regarding a "block" of some sort and what it does (likely referring to the one in Minecraft), only for Matei to then turn to the viewers, greeting them and introducing Gadget. Mike then proceeds to ask Gadget if he wants to do some reviews, with the latter inclining, albeit in a rather arrogant way; Gadget suggests they review Minecraft, while falsely referring to it as "Mineycrafta" with Mike correcting him, only for Gadget to then start calling it "Minecrap". Throughout the video, Gadget repeats various jokes including "I love building bricks with Minecrap" and "brown bricks". Eventually, the video ends with Gadget shooting and presumably killing Matei due to the latter talking.
The video garnered a large amount of criticism and backlash, as well as a rather memetic status, with many considering the video extremely unfunny and/or cringe-worthy, or in some cases So Bad, It's Good. All the negative reactions eventually prompted Matei to delete the video from both the Cinemassacre channel and website, with him clearly being rather ashamed of the video and hating any mention of it until relatively recently, whereas he appears to have embraced the video and the Memetic Mutation status it's garnered. Despite it's deletion, several mirrors/re-uploads of the video have surfaced and can be found easily.
In May of 2020, the video was officially re-uploaded on Cinemassacre Plays.
I love building brown tropes with TV Tropes!:
- Accidental Misnaming: Gadget calls Minecraft both "Mineycrafta" and "Minecrap" throughout the video.
- Adaptational Jerkass: Gadget is considerably ruder and rather narcissistic here compared to his characterization in the original series, seeing as he shuts Mike up and claims that he's better than him and should do the review himself on account of this. Not to mention, he shoots and presumably kills Mike at the end just for talking.
- Adaptational Villainy: Inspector Gadget was a well-meaning hero (albeit incompetent) in the original cartoon, but here he's rather villainous as he murders Mike just for trying to talk.
- As Himself: Mike Matei plays a fictionalized version of himself.
- Bad "Bad Acting": Mostly from Gadget.
- Butt-Monkey: Mike, to an extent. He's treated rather rudely by Gadget and is eventually shot by him just for trying to speak.
- Cloudcuckoolander's Minder: Mike seems to be this to Gadget, to an extent at least.Inspector Gadget: Hmmm... ah, yes, this is it! Mineycrafta!Mike Matei: No, no, no, Inspector Gadget, it's called Minecraft.
- Comically Missing the Point:Gadget: What is the point of Minecrap?Mike: Well, there really is no point; it's a sandbox game.Gadget: Oh, good! I love building sand castles!
- Death as Comedy: Mike getting shot and killed by Gadget at the end is Played for Laughs.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Gadget shoots and kills Mike with a laser just because he was talking when Gadget didn't want him to.
- The Ditz: Inspector Gadget, as he was in the original show. Here, he keeps calling Minecraft by other names even after being specifically told by Mike what the name of the game is. He also misinterprets the idea of Minecraft being a "sandbox game" as building sand castles.
- Insufferable Imbecile: Inspector Gadget, in contrast to his well-meaning Kindhearted Simpleton characterization in the original show. Here, he has a rather rude, arrogant attitude toward Mike and eventually shoots the latter at the end of the video just for trying to talk.
- It's All About Me: Gadget seems to have this attitude, judging by how he insists that he should do the review himself on account that he's allegedly better than Mike is.
- Jerkass: Inspector Gadget. First, he claims that he's better than Mike and insists on doing the review instead of him on account of this, then he tells Mike to shut up, and later he mocks and insults an unspecified person who apparently built a replica of the Starship Enterprise in Minecraft; then at the end, he shoots and kills Mike just for talking.
- Jerkass Has a Point / Dumbass Has a Point: As rude and stupid as Inspector Gadget may be, one could argue that his dialogue below is a fair point.Mike: There's one guy that built a scale model of the Starship Enterprise.Gadget: My deduction skills as a detective tell me he has quite possibly never had sex.Mike: Come on, Inspector Gadget, it's about expressing your creativity.Gadget: But he is just copying a fake rocket-ship blue-print designed by someone else. Seems more like "monkey see, monkey do" than using creative energy, if you ask me.
- Kafka Komedy: Mike gets shot and apparently killed by Gadget just for trying to explain something to the latter.
- Literal-Minded: When Mike tells Gadget that Minecraft is a sandbox game, Gadget misinterprets this as actually building sand-castles. This doubles as Comically Missing the Point.
- No Respect Guy: Mike. Gadget tells him to shut up, claims that he's better than him, and eventually shoots him just because he was trying to explain something and reason with Gadget.
- Only Sane Man: Mike seems to be considerably more rational than Gadget.
- Roger Rabbit Effect: Gadget is animated and put over live-action footage of Mike Matei.
- Running Gag:
- Gadget mispronouncing Minecraft as "Mineycrafta" or "Minecrap".
- Also Gadget stating that he likes to "build (brown) bricks with Minecrap".
- Straight Man: Mike is this to Gadget.
- Stylistic Suck: According to Mike Matei himself, this video was deliberately bad and was apparently intended as a parody of then-popular YouTube channels such as The Annoying Orange.
- Toilet Humor: The "brown bricks" joke seems to be a shit joke of some sort.
- Gadget incorrectly calling Minecraft "Minecrap" also qualifies.
- He also mentions "cleaning up Brain's doodie".
- With Friends Like These...: Mike claims that Gadget is a good friend of his at the beginning of the video, but that apparently doesn't stop Gadget from shooting and killing him.