Baby Mentalist is a Web Video Cop Show series created and written by Randall Park, starring himself, his wife Jae Suh Park, and his then-eight-month old daughter Ruby Louise Park as the title character.
George Chung is an unsuccessful detective caught between fighting crime in Los Angeles and reviving his failing marriage with his wife, Barbara. During his visitation rights, he employs his baby daughter, Ruby, as his partner, who he nicknames "Baby Mentalist." Baby Mentalist's skills earn her a full-time spot in the police force, and together, the father-and-daughter team tackles drug dealers and murderers.
The show is a Black Comedy and a hilarious take on general Cop Shows rife with Comedic Sociopathy, highlighted by Park's deadpan delivery and the premise of a baby being a cop. Lasting for 6 episodes, the show is available on Park's YouTube channel and Channel 101.
This work provides examples of:
- Abusive Parents: The Victims of the Week in episode 5 all came from difficult households.
- The Ace: As an eight-month-old infant, Baby Mentalist is capable of handling firearms with close precision and often picks up clues most people miss.
- Badass Adorable: Baby Mentalist, of course.Nico: She's so adorable! I want to hug her, but look at her; she's got fists of fury!
- Big "NO!": George lets out an elongated one when Rico puts Baby Mentalist in the tortilla warming press.
- Bumbling Dad: George is a recovering alcoholic and is portrayed as less competent than Baby Mentalist.
- Chekhov's Gun: Steve gives George a Chip the Chipotle burrito plushie for Baby Mentalist. Baby Mentalist uses it as a Switch-Out Move to save George and Barbara.
- Comedic Sociopathy: Lots in this show.Briggs: Hey, Jim, what do you say that after this, we can go back and toss around the ol' pig skin, eh?Jim: (shows him bandaged and bloody hands) I can't. My hands are still sore from sewing.Briggs: What a pussy!
- Covert Pervert: The camera focuses on Baby Mentalist smiling right after George points out a naked scene in Game of Thrones.
- "Everybody Laughs" Ending: The majority of the episodes end on this note.
- Evil All Along: Steve, Barbara's boyfriend and CEO of Chipotle, was The Chessmaster in the restaurant murders.
- Evil Twin: Nico confesses that it was his twin brother who Rico murdered a restaurant owner.
- Fun with Subtitles: The conversation between the Japanese cocaine dealer and Ezekiel Jackson, the new chief officer, in episode 4 is a little different than from what the subtitles say. The show did translate "HAHAHAHA" and "Goodbye, sucker", though.Jackson (subtitles): I want 1400 kilograms of this shipped directly to the Port of Los Angeles.Drug dealer (subtitles): What about the police?Jackson (subtitles): The police? I am the police!Drug dealer (subtitles): You'd think they'd do better background checks. Am I right?Jackson: Your cocaine is delicious.Drug dealer: What about the pork cutlet?Jackson: Pork cutlet? I am the pork cutlet!Drug dealer: And I'm Justin Timberlake!
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Naturally, George is the Huge Guy to Baby Mentalist's Tiny Girl.
- Hypocritical Humor: The cop on the news deliberately insults Chief Briggs in his involvement in a cocaine scandal, but speaks very kindly of him when he gets reinstated, even to the point of dismissing that he bought cocaine.Officer (earlier in the episode): Chief Bernard Briggs is a junkie and a disgrace.Officer (later in the episode): We made a mistake. Turns out Chief Jackson was a drug-dealing little bitch. We have officially rehired our dear chief Bernard Briggs. I mean, let's be honest. Who here hasn't tried a little bit of coke—?
- I Just Want to Be Loved: Hank the suicide bomber in The Teaser for episode 3 pulls an If I Can't Have You… attitude after his co-worker, Ruthie, promptly rejects his Anguished Declaration of Love. Obviously, his Entitled to Have You behavior didn't help...
- Kids Play Matchmaker: Baby Mentalist sets her parents up on a picnic date at the end of episode 3.
- Little Miss Badass: Baby Mentalist, hands down.
- May Contain Evil: Kyp's television show.
- Meaningful Name: Kyp. What does he want you to do? Kill Your Parents!
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Baby Mentalist is rarely called by her real name, Ruby.
- Secondary Character Title: George is the main character in the show, but the show is named after his daughter, Baby Mentalist.
- Self-Made Orphan: The Victims of the Week in episode 5. Jim does get adopted by Chief Briggs at the end, but he doesn't seem Happily Adopted.George: Kids, I'm sorry this happened to you, but the good news is it's over. You can go home now. But the bad news is you have no home, because you murdered your parents. So... go out there, figure out your living arrangements, and, you know, get jobs and stuff. Okay, bye. So long.
- Small Girl, Big Gun: Baby Mentalist took down some criminals with rifles and shotguns.
- Waif-Fu: Baby Mentalist is more than capable of just simply fighting; she's ripped heads off of criminals and beat a gangster to a bloody pulp during questioning!