A long time ago, Dragon Ball GT finished. After that, the Dragon Ball franchise didn't receive any more stories about Son Goku and his friends. Fans didn't like that, so they started to create rumours about a future series that took place after the future of Dragon Ball GT. The fans called it Dragon Ball AF.
Of course, Dragon Ball AF was actually based on a fake Super Saiyan 5 transformation, with AF meaning "April Fools". Still, fans thought it was real for years until Toei Animation announced the movies Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods and Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection F and subsequently the series Dragon Ball Super, which completely ignore Dragon Ball GT, leaving the whole AF fiasco as a silly rumour.
Still, many fan comics were created based on the Dragon Ball AF idea. One of them was done by Toyble around 2006. Toyble adapted the story after the end of GT, with the villain of Xicor, a clone of Goku created by the now evil Supreme Kai of the West, which was thought to be previously dead in Majin Buu's rampage of the Supreme Kai world.
While this story obviously is not part of the Dragon Ball continuity, it is an important piece of background for one of the members of the Dragon Staff, with some elements making their way into the series. Please collaborate.
Toyble version of Dragon Ball AF includes the following tropes:
- Adaptational Badass:
- Vegeta and Gohan can transform into Super Saiyan 4 without the need for a machine or a tail.
- Pan and Bra managed to obtain the Super Saiyan transformation by practicing together off-screen.
- Piccolo, in his two brief appearances, casually dispatches Cell and Frieza in one battle, and defeats Janemba without getting a scratch in another.
- Adaptational Villainy: West Supreme Kai goes from a tragic Minor Major Character to an Evil Matriarch Greater-Scope Villain, creating both Xicor and Frieza.
- Adaptational Wimp:
- Downplayed with Broly. He can't enter his Legendary Super Saiyan form, relying only on his normal Super Saiyan form. Even then, most of the characters are above him, so he is no problem.
- For what brief cameo he had, it appears Cooler was just a member of Frieza's army instead of Frieza's superior.
- Ascended Extra: The West Supreme Kai was only mentioned in the manga and shown being killed by Buu in the anime, with almost no line of dialogue whatsoever. Here, she is on a quest for revenge and a full-blown villain, creating Xicor (And apparently Frieza too.)
- A God Am I: Xicor considers himself a god. Considering he was toying with a Super Saiyan 4 Vegeta and Gohan, and is technically the son of a Supreme Kai, he may not be wrong.
- Ascend to a Higher Plane of Existence: Goku became one with Shenlong. After the end of GT, he ended on the Ryu'oshin realm, the world where the Shenlongs live. Here, he found himself with the Shadow Dragons. He can't get out of the realm unless he is called by the Dragon Balls, just like Shenlong and Porunga.
- All Just a Dream: A rushed case. Toyble was contacted by Shueisha so he could work on the manga of Dragon Ball Heroes, so he rushed the ending. At the end, everything was revealed to be a story Master Roshi was telling Goku Jr. and Vegeta Jr. After seeing how great the next generation was, he wondered if his time finally came, before collapsing. He then dreamed of all the people he met, dying in peace. It was rather touching, actually.
- Action Mom: The Supreme Kai of the West was, apparently, Frieza's mother. She is also capable of fighting, but she is leagues behind the heroes, relying on her son.
- Back from the Dead:
- Broly, of all people. Goten and Trunks revived him so they had another Saiyan for the ritual to enter the Dragon's realm.
- #17 is brought back to life but prefers to not get involved due to murdering Krillin in the Super 17 saga.
- The Cameo: Toyble loved to put every character possible into the comic.
- Coola appears for a brief scene at the beginning of the comic, wearing the clothes of normal soldiers, oddly enough.
- Erasa, Videl's friend from the Majin Buu saga, became a teacher in the same high school.
- Tenshinhan and Chaozu appear in the city when Xicor attacks Goten. They have no relevance to the plot.
- Tapion and his brother train in the Kais world, for some reason. Likewise, most of the Other World fighters appear for a brief scene.
- Piccolo is shown in hell defeating Janemba, somehow.
- #8 and #17 became friends after the latter was brought back to life.
- Paragus appears in Broly's flashbacks.
- Character Rerailment: After being brought back to life, Broly regains his sanity from his debut movie instead of just being a moron psychopath obsessed with Goku in Broly: Second coming. From the looks of it, Toyble wanted to give him some needed Character Development.
- Cloning Blues: Xicor was created with Goku's DNA, turning him by proxy into his son.
- The Dragon: Xicor is the main menace the heroes has to deal with, but he is mostly taking orders from the Supreme Kai of the West.
- Deus ex Machina: Dende appears out of nowhere and helps Kibitokai recover his energy. Fitting, since he is Earth's god.
- Greater-Scope Villain: The Supreme Kai of the West is turned into this. Long ago, she survived Majin Buu attack, and from then on, decided to create the strongest person on the universe. She created Frieza with King Cold, and considering everything Frieza is responsible for, including starting the entire series, she becomes this series' greater scope villain..
- Xicor is one to Cell. The green color, calling Gohan "brother" just like Cell once called Piccolo, and being the evil clone of Goku, just like Cell was made with the cells of him and everyone else.
- Played literally with Bebidi, son of Babidi, and Majin Pooh, who is literally Majin Buu with some bear-like elements. Played for Laughs.
- FaceHeel Turn: The Supreme Kai of the West, who was killed by Majin Buu in canon, survived the genocide and, angry when no one came to save her, decided to take revenge on the universe.
- Fusion Dance: Goku merged with Shenlong, receiving a power ten times greater than before.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Kibitokai destroys himself in order to kill the Supreme Kai of the West. He got better thanks to Porunga.
- Horned Humanoid: Xicor has spikes and horns on his body.
- Legacy Character: Goten became the Great Saiyaman 3. He is bad at this job.
- No Ending: Toyble cancelled the story before it could be properly be finished.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Xicor is sealed in the Z sword, just like Old Kai used to. However, due to his immense power, the sword will only retain him for a month at most.
- Supernaturally Young Parent: West Supreme Kai is this to Xicor and Frieza since she's, well, a Supreme Kai.