- Kida's got Atlantis' Lost Technology back into working order and rebuilding the parts of the city fallen into ruin to deal with. Not to mention the aftermath of Atlantis resurfacing from underground, which means a lot of political work for her (and Milo).
- Eilonwy's got Prydain back on track from the rule of oppressive warlords and evil sorcerers (I might point out there's a novel series that The Black Cauldron was part of where she does exactly that).
- Tiger Lily has her tribe to take care of.
- Giselle's moved permanently to New York City.
- Frozen's apparently going to be its own franchise, so we'll wait and see.
- Moana is leading her people through an age of exploration.
- Minor note, Moana is an official princess now.
- Elena is currently taking a stab at the governing thing, though her story isn't over yet.
- She would add more diversity to the line-up. She has the singing voice, dress, and animal friends to back her up. Plus she has a couple of people that could serve as a Love Interest. Moana adds some more diversity. She has her animal friends and she sings! Moana just lacks the love interest and a pretty dress.
- As far as I can tell, you need to have started in a theatrical movie before being put in the lineup. Elena started in a TV show, so she wouldn't qualify for the lineup.
- As of November 2019, Elena is still being occasionally shown on official Disney Princess social media platforms, largely the Facebook page, and has her own tailored posts that are similar to a lot of the posts about the other official Disney Princesses. And she is currently the only unofficial Disney Princess with this privilege even after Moana, who debuted after Elena, was officially inducted in the line-up. Anna and Elsa's appearances in Disney Princess social media posts are currently mostly reduced to just Frozen 2 promos. Additionally as of the launch of Disney+, she appears center stage in the Princesses Collection banner and her show is grouped with the other official 12 Disney Princess movies plus Frozen before delving into movies and shows not related to the Disney Princess brand. There is also a Disney Princess category for icons that include all 12 official Disney Princesses... and Elena, but not Anna and Elsa. We still don't know if even after all of this would she actually considered an official Princess since she still comes from a TV show and not a theatrical movie. But if she still continues to have relevance in the present time, then most likely she is here to stay and maybe indicating that official Princesses don't have to come from theatrical movies.
- This video released on November 18, 2019 note shows the Disney Princesses that Sofia met, which includes Elena.
- A new parade, The Royal Princess Processional, which debuted at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom when it reopened on July 11, 2020, showcases all of the Disney Princesses who are either born or married into royalty, which includes Elena.note
- On Disneyland's reopening on April 30, 2021, Elena is brought back as a meetable character and is seen alongside the other Princesses plus Anna and Elsa.
- As of May 3, 2021, while excluded from the Disney Princess lineup from the initial announcement of the Disney Ultimate Princess Celebration which includes Anna and Elsa, Amazon's updated officially sanctioned Disney Princess portal includes Elena and is given a dedicated section like the other Princesses with her own icon on the main page.
- If Princess "Little Miss Pixar" Merida can join, why not Star?
- As far as I can tell, you need to have started in a theatrical movie before being put in the lineup. Star started in a TV show, so she wouldn't qualify for the lineup.
First, the "princess" must meet any one of the three following criteria.
- Be born into royalty. (Snow White, Aurora, Ariel, Rapunzel, Merida)
- Marry to royalty. (Cinderella, Belle, Jasmine, Tiana
- Perform an act of heroism. (Mulan)
Then, the "princess" must meet all of these following criteria.
- Be a human (though half-human still counts like with Ariel).
- Don't be a main protagonist in the sequel.
- Your film must be a box office success.
These rules explain why other potential "princesses" like Nala (married to Simba, King of Pride Rock), Kida (ruler of Atlantis), Giselle, Megara (got together iwth Hercules, son of Zeus, King of the Greek gods), and Jane (married to Tarzan, "King" of the Jungle) didn't make the cut.
4. You must have an animal sidekick(s).
Snow White has all the woodland creatures, so did Aurora, Ariel has Flounder and Sebastian, Rapunzel has Pascal and Maximus, Merida has her horse (and the triplets when they were briefly bears), Cinderella has her mice companions as well as Bruno and Major, Belle also had a horse (and that footrest-dog sort of counts), Jasmine has Rajah, Tiana technically had Ray, and Mulan has Mushu, Cri-kee, and Khan.
As exemplified by Ralph Breaks the Internet, while they do live their usual lives more or less, they make most of their livelihood as fantasy performers entertaining children and kids-at-heart, all whilst keeping to Disney's own brand of Kayfabe.