Rei Sawatari is an Ordinary High-School Student who is next in line to inherit his family's wealthy company. One day, he's been given a pocket watch which was passed down from his late grandfather, but little did he knew that the pocket watch contained a secret. While fiddling with the watch on his way to school, Rei realizes that he's about to get ran over by a truck, but then he suddenly finds himself back at his house unscathed and completely dumbfounded. He was certain that he should've died, that is until he meets Chronos, the self-proclaimed goddess of time. She explains that the pocket watch Rei is holding has the ability to rewind time five minutes back into the past when shattered, which was what saved his life from certain death. After realizing how fragile his life really was, Rei decides to become more proactive and uses the pocket watch to pursue one goal: to find a girlfriend and live his life the way he wants to.
Chrono Clock is a Visual Novel developed and released in Japan by Purple Software on April 24, 2015, and later released worldwide by Sekai Project on Febuary 28, 2017 after a successful Kickstarter campaign. The visual novel is primarly a romantic comedy focusing on Rei's attempts to get a girlfriend while using the time travel capabilities of his pocket watch to his advantage. The time travel aspect is simple and only a minor element in the story, so it isn't as deep and complex a la Steins;Gate. The H-scenes are not incorporated into the routes of the characters like most visual novels, but instead, are unlocked as bonus after-stories after each of the characters' routes have been completed. These after-stories were removed from the Steam version however for obvious reasons.
Contains examples of:
- Born Unlucky: Miu shamefully admits that she hasn't lived the most lucky of lives so far.
- BrotherSister Incest: Yes, it exists. And there's a route dedicated to Michiru who is Rei's younger sister, much to the chagrin of western readers.
- But Not Too Foreign: Even though D.D. is British, she has a quarter of Japanese blood in her from her grandfather, who was Japanese.
- Buxom Is Better: Rei certainly seems to think so, as he comments quite a lot on Makoto's, Michiru's and Misaki's large breasts in their respective routes.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Michiru does not like it whenever Rei talks to other girls. However she is more than willing to back down if her brother has his heart set on another woman.
- Death Is Cheap: Rei invokes this twice on Miu, who dies from falling off the roof as a result of being overwhelmed by her social anxiety and the second time, being knocked off by a small meteorite. He rewinds time to prevent her deaths from happening. Rei himself would've been killed by a truck if he didn't have the pocket watch with him.
- How We Got Here: A story-telling device that mirrors the clock's time rewinding ability. It's used at the very beginning to cover the first week, and again within that flashback to explain the clock.
- Love Triangle: Or rather, a "love rhombus", as Rei calls it. Miu likes Shuuji, who likes Michiru, who adores Rei. Rei doesn't have such feelings for Miu initially, but quickly develops them, thus completing the cycle.note
- McGuffin: Rei's pocket watch, which was passed down from his late grandfather and can rewind time five minutes back when shattered. Since Chronos was residing inside the watch, she's also a Living MacGuffin.
- Meido: D.D. currently works as a maid at Rei's family residence.
- Mystical City Planning: The fictional city in which the setting takes place in is built around a giant monument, which when viewed above, is deliberately designed to act like a sun dial. This was conceived by Rei's grandfather to worship the Goddess of Time; Chronos.
- Panty Shot: Taken Up to Eleven in the image where Misaki is playing her violin. It looks like she's going commando under that skirt.
- Physical God: Chronos claims herself to be the goddess of time. Though unlike most examples, she is intangible like a ghost and can only be seen by those she wants to be seen by, like Rei.
- She's Got Legs: Hoo boy does Chronos ever have them.
- Shout-Out: Just right before Rei gets ran over by a truck in the prologue, he says "Game over man, game over." in his head.
- Those Two Guys: Shuuji and Miu. Until Miu gets her own route.
- Time Master: Chronos of course, and by extension, Rei since all he has to do is smash the pocket watch and time is reset five minutes back into the past. The downside is that he can only do this every hour.
- Tsundere: Misaki is a Type A tsundere.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Rei and Shuuji's friendship consists of them talking shit to one another on a regular basis.
- Yakuza: Makoto's family is aligned with the Yakuza, who also happened to back Rei's family in the past during the construction of the Central Park monument. However Makoto herself doesn't want people to know about her relation to them and just wants to live a normal life as much as possible.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Misaki is a rare Grade S.