Sonic Jump is a Spin-Off title in the Sonic the Hedgehog series, initially released for the T-Mobile Sidekick in Japan in 2005 and the rest of the world in 2007 (and got a subsequent update which was billed as a sequel), and remade for the iOS and Android mobile platforms in 2012. The story is that Dr. Eggman has kidnapped the small animals of South Island, and Sonic and co must save them.
The gameplay is fairly unique for a Sonic game—instead of a standard high-speed side-scroller, it's a vertical scrolling platformer, highly in the vein of Doodle Jump, and you control Sonic via motion sensors. Unlike Doodle Jump, there are actual levels and bosses, not to mention power-ups such as the rings (used to buy items and unlock other characters), speed up shoes and the magnet, as well as the usual Sonic plethora of pretty art and catchy tunes. It also provides replay value with the three red rings to collect in each level.
The game had a free sequel called Sonic Jump Fever which was released in 2014 and removed in 2018.
Tropes used in this game include:
- Art Evolution: The original Sonic Jump games based its art style off of the Sonic Advance games (right down to reusing sprites), wheras the 2012 remake uses the art style of the more recent Sonic games.
- Bonus Stage Collectables: In Sonic Jump 2, completing each level with 50 rings automatically earns you a Chaos Emerald, six in all—although there is no reward for collecting them other than unlocking the seventh level.
- Double Jump: Sonic has one in this game, although the second jump has to be triggered manually by tapping the screen.
- Endless Game: Arcade Mode, which, as its name describes, is basically an endurance game with randomized levels.
- Excuse Plot: Eggman is kidnapping Sonic's animal friends again, go and save them!
- Green Hill Zone: The first stage, set in the actual Green Hill Zone.
- Heroic Mime: The only time the playable characters speak is when a level is completed.
- Macross Missile Massacre: Eggman's attack in the Jungle Zone boss battle.
- Mythology Gag: The designs of the animals Eggman captures are lifted directly from the original Sonic the Hedgehog game.
- Rise to the Challenge: The entire game is based on going up, and no backtracking is allowed—trying to fall down below the screen results in death.
- Secret Character: Amy, Rouge, Silver, Cream, Shadow, and Vector.
- Shock and Awe: For the boss battles, Eggman's mechs are shielded by an electric barrier. In particular, this is the Green Hill Zone mech's only attack.
- Updated Re Release: Sonic Jump 2 was pretty much an update for the first game with improved graphics and an extra level. The 2 was even removed from the American version.
- Video Game Remake: The 2012 iOS Sonic Jump, which was renamed to Sonic Jump Pro sometime after Sonic Jump Fever was released.
- Violation of Common Sense: The iOS version has several "missions" that involve either hurting yourself or getting killed by enemies or obstacles. The label for these achievements, "Misadventure", lampshades the trope.