- Ascended Fanon: The "Rooligans" are a chatgroup for the Roo Island team during the Altador Cup. Eventually, TNT decided to use the term as an all-purpose nickname for RI fans.
- Defictionalization: Very often, the Random Contest's theme is based around this. Whether it be Altador Cup gear, Smoothies, or just about anything else.
- Development Hell:
- This page once listed several features that where "coming soon", including what appears to be three new plots, a new flash game, and a make-over of preexisting games. They've where coming soon for several years, though they've sine been replaced with other features.
- The Battledome was apparently in the works since the site was created, although it wasn't implemented until several years later. Also, pets could have stats prior to the Battledome giving them a use for them. Likewise, clothing and accessory items existed long before pets could actually be dressed up.
- Executive Meddling: At one point, the site was owned by a member of The Church of Scientology. This was a factor in the sites early moves towards commercialization and ads. The most heavy handed effort (and one the site founders vehemently rejected) involved attempting to push Scientology doctrine through the site.
- Fanwork Ban: To a point. In the Nickelodeon Kids & Family Virtual Worlds Group games terms of service (which includes Neopets, Petpet Park, Nicktropolis, and Monkey Quest), all rights to making derivative works under Fair Use are given up. However, Neopets at the least still allows people to submit original fanwork to the various contests and the Neopian Times, all of which have rules that all submissions must follow in order to be accepted. Though considering the site is no longer owned by Nickelodeon, this may no longer be the case, and even if it is, it seems to be hardly enforced anyway, as many off-site fanworks continue to flourish.
- The Other Marty: In the earliest releases, some Neopets were replaced, much like the Bruce incident. One such change was a species of dragon called the Tatsu that was inexplicably replaced with the Eyries (gryphons). The Tatsus apparently rose from an even earlier design called the Cerpull
- Missing Episode: The The Invasion of Meridell game. Broken by a bug and no developer bothered to fix it or knew how it worked. It was incredibly fun for some as well.
- Currently all but 7 of the old games are unavailable due to dropped Flash support. The staff has promised to port over as much content as possible, but started with general site stuff, and not the games.
- Pop Culture Urban Legends: Known as the "Cursed Cup", every team that has won the Altador Cup has proceeded to take a nosedive in the following year's tournament.
- Referenced by...: An optional cutscene in an indie RPG called BoxxyQuest: The Gathering Storm features two of the characters reminiscing about playing Neopets when they were younger.
- Screwed by the Lawyers: It's implied that this is the reason behind Bruce changing from a Bruce Forsyth caricature to a penguin, and Kau changing from a caricature of singer Macy Gray. Similarly, it was implied that Fuzio became Kyrii due to the former having more than a passing resemblance to Rayman.
- Urban Legend of Zelda: This trope was played with, somewhat: the rumor wasn't made by players that Jelly World existed, but by TNT themselves. Many newbies often get laughed at by others when asking if it exists. (You think this is real? What, do you need to be dragged by your ankles to the Meepit Oaks Sanitorium?)
- Word of God: The Editorial section of the Neopian Times is used for this.
- What Could Have Been:
Trivia / Neopets