- Acting for Two:
- Ascended Fanon: Lucy calls her and Gru "Team Grucy" — the only couple name by the fans of the two protagonists.
- Celebrity Voice Actor: In the Japanese dub, Balthazar Bratt is voiced by Kenichi Matsuyama, aka L Lawliet in the live-action films.
- Children Voicing Children: Nev Scharrel as Agnes.
- Dawson Casting:
- Miranda Cosgrove as Margo.
- Dana Gaier as Edith.
- Trey Parker as young Bratt.
- Missing Trailer Scene:
- Marlena tapping on one of her muscular trainer's butt (the blonde one), even after the music is over, with Gru being disgusted.
- Lucy walking in on Gru and Dru in their suits while they are examining a gun and her pointedly asking if they're villains now, with Gru screaming, trying to hide the gun behind Dru's back, and trying to smooth it over by calling her "sweetie;" Dru then mutters "Busted."
- The Other Darrin: Agnes is voiced by Nev Scharrel instead of Elsie Fisher since the latter's voice matured.
- Playing Against Type: Let's just say that Trey Parker is one of the last people you'd expect to voice a character in a family movie. It's also his first role since BASEketball in a project that he, himself, did not conceive. Trey Parker even said in an interview he was flattered they thought of him for the role, since it's the first time anyone has asked him to be in this sort of film.
- Playing Their Own Twin: Steve Carell as Gru and Dru.
- Relationship Voice Actor: In the Japanese dub, Kōichi Yamadera and Mamoru Miyano works together in yet another Illumination Entertainment film as Fritz and Clive the Robot respectively.
- So My Kids Can Watch: Trey Parker accepted the role because there wasn't anything he had done which he could show to his then-year-and-a-half-old daughter.
- Talking to Himself:
- Since Gru and Dru are voiced by the same person, this will happen when both talk with each other. Carell has even discussed the challenge of playing such roles.
- Pierre Coffin as the voices of all the Minions.
- What Could Have Been:
- Ed Helms, Ty Burrell, Kevin Pollak, John Cena, Steve Zahn, and Alan Tudyk were all considered for the role of Balthazar Bratt.
- At one point, Bratt was meant to be The Dragon to a more serious villain, but the writers and studio found the original villain to be too humorless and boring, and finally decided to make Bratt the Big Bad after seeing the humorous character design.
- Trey Parker revealed that Bratt was going to sing "Karma Chameleon" at one point in the film, though the scene was dropped.
- Lucy's original subplot would have involved her fighting crime in Freedonia, though it was later decided to have her become more involved with the girls after the writers felt that the crimefighting plot was too disconnected to the rest of the story. At one point, she was going to hunt a purse-snatcher through the cheese festival in a chase scene involving a lot of cheese puns.
- Word of God:
Trivia / Despicable Me 3